Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cream_Filling posted:

Some people use those little rubber bands they give out at the orthodontist's for braces. It depends entirely on the proper size, though.

I'd say try training yourself to not bottom out, but then again, those are the non-tactile switches, right? That might be harder.

I seem to have accidentally learned not to bottom out on my K60 over time. I also do have the red (55a I think?) WASD o-rings. Some kind of o-ring is probably a worthwhile investment if noise is a concern while you adjust to the keyboard, and I also thought they improved the feel a marginal amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

VulgarandStupid posted:

So, I got a Corsair K60, which I love so far. The only thing is, if I'm hammering out a paragraph, it's quite loud. I'm looking at getting O-rings to dampen the sound. However, I feel a bit silly paying $17 for 100-something O-rings. I probably only need half of them, also O-rings are usually quite cheap. The WASDKeyboards price seems a bit high, has anyone else found a good substitute?

Mcmaster Carr has some for about 7 shipped. I might have a whole bag and a half left over I could sell you for basically shipping. They're 70A though, iirc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Need some Topre advice... Looking at a Realforce 87U and I'm not sure if I should spring for the ergonomically weighted, 45g, or 55g weighted switches. I know it's an apples-oranges-bananas comparison between rubber domes, MX switches, and Topre switches; however, I do have a blue and brown Costar variants.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Phone posted:

Need some Topre advice... Looking at a Realforce 87U and I'm not sure if I should spring for the ergonomically weighted, 45g, or 55g weighted switches. I know it's an apples-oranges-bananas comparison between rubber domes, MX switches, and Topre switches; however, I do have a blue and brown Costar variants.

well, between blues and browns what's your favorite? Blues have the 55g weight, browns and reds 45. As to the topre ergo weighted, I have no idea.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any mech keyboard with some sort of lighting? I mean sure get a lamp on your desk, but I don't really have a lot of room and that's yet another power plug

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any mech keyboard with some sort of lighting? I mean sure get a lamp on your desk, but I don't really have a lot of room and that's yet another power plug

Yes, the K90 comes to mind, but I know there are others.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tedronai66 posted:

well, between blues and browns what's your favorite? Blues have the 55g weight, browns and reds 45. As to the topre ergo weighted, I have no idea.

I was under the impression that blues/browns had a force requirement between 45-60 due to the actuation point. I like how light the browns are, but the blues feel awesome to pound on.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Tedronai66 posted:

Mcmaster Carr has some for about 7 shipped. I might have a whole bag and a half left over I could sell you for basically shipping. They're 70A though, iirc.

What size am I looking for?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

What size am I looking for?

AS568A, 008 size, I got the Buna-N's, 3 bags, they charge something like 5 bucks for shipping, but don't tell you what shipping is until it's shipped. (they also comically shipped my 3 little baggies in a box that could hold ~6 cd's in jewel cases.

I used them for a while and had extras (takes over a bag to do every key) with the intent of using the extras on my kb at work. No one has complained, and I've since pulled them off my blues KB/gotten a quickfire rapid with browns that doesn't need them.

e: the 50A ones are ~9 for 125, so not much cheaper than wasd after shipping.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 26, 2012

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Tedronai66 posted:

AS568A, 008 size, I got the Buna-N's, 3 bags, they charge something like 5 bucks for shipping, but don't tell you what shipping is until it's shipped. (they also comically shipped my 3 little baggies in a box that could hold ~6 cd's in jewel cases.

I used them for a while and had extras (takes over a bag to do every key) with the intent of using the extras on my kb at work. No one has complained, and I've since pulled them off my blues KB/gotten a quickfire rapid with browns that doesn't need them.

e: the 50A ones are ~9 for 125, so not much cheaper than wasd after shipping.

Ended up getting the 50A ones after a quick google search. Thanks for setting me on the right track. And I'm glad I could buy them from a company who sells hardware, instead of a reseller.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I recently bought the Max Nighthawk X8 and am very happy with it. One other goon on here also bought it and seemed to enjoy it based on their little review. I would look into it if you want Brown or Red switches.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Phone posted:

I'm going to have to sperg about the term "ergonomically weighted", there's nothing ergonomic about the variable weighting, regarding wrist injuries and such.

I have a variable weighted at the office and 55g at home, and I'd say the choice basically doesn't matter.

If you're just doing typing and will never use WASD keys in interesting ways, well, variable weighting really won't be a major improvement over a uniform 45g keyboard. Or any improvement.

If I had the option of going back and reconsidering whether to get a variable weighted or 45g keyboard for the office, I just wouldn't care. However, if I had the option of reconsidering whether to get a variable weighted or 55g keyboard for the office, I'd get the variable weighted keyboard since the 45g and 35g keys are preferable.

So my answer is 45g.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cizzo posted:

I recently bought the Max Nighthawk X8 and am very happy with it. One other goon on here also bought it and seemed to enjoy it based on their little review. I would look into it if you want Brown or Red switches.

That was me. I'm loving mine so far. My only gripe is I don't like the Fn key on the right since my old keyboard had it on the left. Although that seems like something most keyboards have these days. Definitely a big fan of the brown switches though.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I've had my Razer Blackwidow for probably half a year now, and whenever I wake my computer up from sleep the m and w keys refuse to work or work inconsistently for about a minute. Is this a known issue with it?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

DerLeo posted:

I've had my Razer Blackwidow for probably half a year now, and whenever I wake my computer up from sleep the m and w keys refuse to work or work inconsistently for about a minute. Is this a known issue with it?

I didn't have that for the year and a half or so that I used my black widow. Any spills, large amounts of dust or anything?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Hey if any old school keyboard nerds are looking for Model M network terminal keyboards, here's some on eBay for $9. Be advised that it doesn't have a standard PS/2 connector, so some hardware modifications may be necessary

http://tinyurl.com/cm2gtlb

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
I'm getting ready to buy my first mechanical keyboard and I think I've settled on the Leopold "Tactile Touch Otaku" as sold by elitekeyboards. I just have a really inconsequential question about them: does anyone know offhand if the F and J keys on this model are physically marked? I've seen from closeup shots that the numpad 5 has a subtle raised line, but I can't tell for the home keys. I'm not even sure if it matters; it just bothers me to buy without knowing.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Pitch posted:

I'm getting ready to buy my first mechanical keyboard and I think I've settled on the Leopold "Tactile Touch Otaku" as sold by elitekeyboards. I just have a really inconsequential question about them: does anyone know offhand if the F and J keys on this model are physically marked? I've seen from closeup shots that the numpad 5 has a subtle raised line, but I can't tell for the home keys. I'm not even sure if it matters; it just bothers me to buy without knowing.

Yes, they are marked with tactile bumps.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Tedronai66 posted:

I didn't have that for the year and a half or so that I used my black widow. Any spills, large amounts of dust or anything?

Not to the best of my knowledge - it's especially weird for me because it starts working normally once the computer's been on for a bit, like the keys need to warm up or something. :confused:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DerLeo posted:

Not to the best of my knowledge - it's especially weird for me because it starts working normally once the computer's been on for a bit, like the keys need to warm up or something. :confused:

You might try the ps/2 port instead if you're using USB. There's some issues with USB and sleeping PCs, though it can be inconsistent since it has to do with various components powering down and back up. If you're already using the PS/2 port, then I don't know.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pitch posted:

I have the 87-key Leopold with blank keys, they do have a raised F & J.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Rexxed posted:

You might try the ps/2 port instead if you're using USB. There's some issues with USB and sleeping PCs, though it can be inconsistent since it has to do with various components powering down and back up. If you're already using the PS/2 port, then I don't know.

Black widow may not work over ps/2. Doesn't come with an adapter, and I never tried, so I'm not 100% sure either way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cizzo posted:

I'm using Browns right now in my DAS and I like it a lot, not too tiring to type on or game with.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a Logitech's illuminated keyboard and I love it. Especially the short stroke.

e:fixed link

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling
I was considering getting a new keyboard, one with cherry mx-brown switches.

I'm thinking one of the blank keyboards, most likely the Leopold Otaku from elitekeyboards.com--was considering the Das keyboard too, but not sure why they are $30 more.

Noticed the other options include: Ione, Rosewill, Coolermaster, and Ducky...but Ione had lousy reviews, Coolermaster's keyboard looks gaudy (love their other PC stuff though), and not opposed to Newegg's Rosewill--but it's $10 more for some reason. About the only one I don't know much about is the Ducky boards, and why they are around $130.

Any reason I should skip the cheaper Leopold, and/or consider one of the other brands over it?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want to test these extra switches (black, brown and red) I have to see if I want to try out something other than blues for my next kb - but I just found out that my leopold was plate mounted, so I can't easily switch a few of the function keys out like I had planned. Is there some super cheap cherry numpad I can get that I can use for this, or should I just start looking for a clamp to hold them to the table.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sure, your keyboards might have nice mechanical switches, but can they cause seizures?

:smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWoyvxhydVw

Seriously though http://www.linkdata.se/software/lcdhost/ makes the G19 worth the steep price tag to me, it's quite nice to have a dedicated screen for framerates, temperatures and cpu use while you're in fullscreen games! If only they could do a deluxe edition with cherry mx switches...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tedronai66 posted:

Black widow may not work over ps/2. Doesn't come with an adapter, and I never tried, so I'm not 100% sure either way.

Maybe try a powered USB hub to see if it has fewer issues coming out of sleep due to (presuambly) the hub keeping the keyboard powered the whole time.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a ducky shine 9008 that's pretty decent, but its something you would probably need to find online, haven't seen any places around that have it compared to say a filco. Red backlighting so with its intensity settings I can set it to "easy on the eyes" at night, or "the pulsing fires of hell underneath my keyboard"

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Pitch posted:

Just as an aside - if your job entails entering a lot of numerals or special characters, this keyboard will likely aggravate the hell out of you. It's worth spending the additional $x to get a printed version.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've come to believe that side-printed characters are actually one of the best solutions for printing, because it also encourages better ergonomics.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

krooj posted:

Just as an aside - if your job entails entering a lot of numerals or special characters, this keyboard will likely aggravate the hell out of you. It's worth spending the additional $x to get a printed version.

The only situations where I've had problems with a blank Das are when I try to type a password consisting of letters and numbers.

I just typo the hell out of those.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

krooj posted:

If your job involves you entering lots of nonalphanumeric characters, (i.e. writing software,... that's probably it actually) you'll learn them. That said, if anyone here is regretting their purchase of a blank keyboard, I will happily trade keycaps with you! :)

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
Are there any other front printed keyboards out there besides the Filco Ninja?

I'm theoretically fine with blank keyboards, but in light of recent postings, something similar to the Ninja out there? (Mechanical)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ana5000 posted:

The only situations where I've had problems with a blank Das are when I try to type a password consisting of letters and numbers.

I just typo the hell out of those.

After switching to an alternate key layout, blank keys are really annoying if the login prompt gets stuck on qwerty. That said, I'd put blanks on my M-15 if I could find any that fit.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
Had the Filco Ninja Majestouch in my Amazon cart, ready to click buy, when I decided to go completely the other way and pick up a black/black Unicomp EnduraPro. From what I'm reading, they could be blank.

I guess I'll cross my fingers.

**edit. Paypal hosed things up, so I cancelled my order. I'll place it again on a credit card...but before I do, any input on Filco vs. EnduraPro?

NecessaryEvil fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 31, 2012

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Alright, I have to apologize to everyone in the other keyboard thread a couple of years ago. I expressed my hatred for mechanical switches on keyboards, dissed the sound they make and the heft. I have spent the last couple of years going from one gimmicky rubber dome keyboard (MS Sidewinder etc) to another. My last one was the Logitech G19.

The second I got it and started using it, it just felt off. I didn't understand it at the time but I misspelled a LOT of words on that keyboard and I just couldn't wrap my head around why it was so. I honestly chalked it up to my age and that I'm not 20 anymore.

Anyway, long story short: I trashed it in a hissy fit of grenading my self in the heat of battle in Tribes. It didn't like getting thrown so I went to get a replacement.

I walked out of the shop with an impulse bought QPad Mk-85.
The Cherry MX Red switches are sex. It sounds awesome, I hardly misspell anything any more and it just feels loving right.

I am sorry for trashing mechanical keyboards. I have seen the light.
I don't even know why I preferred rubber dome poo poo considering I started using computers back in like '89 and all my keyboards back then were mechanical.

If you're hesitating moving to mechanical switches then loving do it. Don't even think about it, just do it.

Anyone know if the WASD Custom keycaps are usable on the QPad MK-85? I want a blank, clown colored keycap set reminiscent of specialized keyboards used in retail/industry

like this:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bhm posted:

Alright, I have to apologize to everyone in the other keyboard thread a couple of years ago. I expressed my hatred for mechanical switches on keyboards, dissed the sound they make and the heft. I have spent the last couple of years going from one gimmicky rubber dome keyboard (MS Sidewinder etc) to another. My last one was the Logitech G19.

The second I got it and started using it, it just felt off. I didn't understand it at the time but I misspelled a LOT of words on that keyboard and I just couldn't wrap my head around why it was so. I honestly chalked it up to my age and that I'm not 20 anymore.

Anyway, long story short: I trashed it in a hissy fit of grenading my self in the heat of battle in Tribes. It didn't like getting thrown so I went to get a replacement.

I walked out of the shop with an impulse bought QPad Mk-85.
The Cherry MX Red switches are sex. It sounds awesome, I hardly misspell anything any more and it just feels loving right.

I am sorry for trashing mechanical keyboards. I have seen the light.
I don't even know why I preferred rubber dome poo poo considering I started using computers back in like '89 and all my keyboards back then were mechanical.

If you're hesitating moving to mechanical switches then loving do it. Don't even think about it, just do it.

Anyone know if the WASD Custom keycaps are usable on the QPad MK-85? I want a blank, clown colored keycap set reminiscent of specialized keyboards used in retail/industry

like this:

The MK-85 has all of that backlighting (if I'm looking at the right web pages) that won't show through most custom keycaps you can get, but most should fit. The only issues are usually the space bar which doesn't always have the same spaces between the switch stabilizers. On some keyboards the spacing for the supports on the longer keys like enter, shift, and ctrl, alt, win key, etc can be different, but if the MK-85 is made by one of the common OEMs recently (seems like it's a new release) then it should be fine with most custom keycaps.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Up till yesterday I always thought the mechanical keyboard hype was overblown by people who just liked their keyboards to sound like typewriters. Then I tried out my friend's Razer BlackWidow (blue switches I believe) and I was a convert after a couple key presses. I couldn't believe how light the keys felt, and I never realized the force differences between mechanical and rubber dome (allowing very little pressure to start pressing they keys instead of providing their max resistance right away).

So anyway, now I'm looking at spending way more than I ever thought I would on a keyboard. It looks like the Razer Blackwidow might be my best choice at $70, unless there's something better in that price range that has a full numpad. The difference in Cherry switch type doesn't really concern me because there's no way for me to try them out and I don't care how loud it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

wa27 posted:

So anyway, now I'm looking at spending way more than I ever thought I would on a keyboard. It looks like the Razer Blackwidow might be my best choice at $70, unless there's something better in that price range that has a full numpad. The difference in Cherry switch type doesn't really concern me because there's no way for me to try them out and I don't care how loud it is.

Rosewills are a good buy if you need a numpad. Blackwidow has shoddy build quality, ugly font, and unnecessary row of keys.

• Locked thread