Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I don't know what it is about this store I transferred to, maybe our proximity to the airport, but we have gotten a poo poo ton of visitors from higher-ups in corporate, and I've only been here 8 months. I'd literally never seen anything other than a district manager at my other two locations over the course of five years, but in this 8 months I've seen the president once, the VPs a handful of times, the regional manager about once a month, and the territory manager (I think there are 3 in the country) is actually building an office in our store to be based out of here from now on.

Today is another visit from the VP and our managers have been running around like chickens with their heads cut off, stressed as hell, and snapping at employees trying to get the store perfect. Like, every single piece of merchandise needs to be in size-order perfect. Can't wait to start my shift!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Is it just the restaurant industry, or is it all over retail that customers are complete and total assholes on Sundays? I mean moreso than usual. I understand that you've just sat through a monotonous church service for [x] amount of hours and you're probably grumpy because you had to get up early on the weekend, but stop taking it out on servers, you jerks.

Does the age profile of your customers change on a sunday? That might be it.

Also, I still don't understand people that go to church week in week out despite loving loathing it. I'm pretty sure if God IS concerned at people going to church, he probably wants them to WANT to be there, right? I'm guessing going through the motions doesn't count.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Fil5000 posted:

Old people. When I waitressed, it was always old people. Old people on Sunday can go to hell, unironically. Although, the sheer volume of customers tended to make Sunday a bankroll day regardless.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Also, I still don't understand people that go to church week in week out despite loving loathing it. I'm pretty sure if God IS concerned at people going to church, he probably wants them to WANT to be there, right? I'm guessing going through the motions doesn't count.

If you're not seen at church the gossip mill starts and keeps picking up steam until the next time you're there.

2508084 posted:

Old people. When I waitressed, it was always old people. Old people on Sunday can go to hell, unironically. Although, the sheer volume of customers tended to make Sunday a bankroll day regardless.

:psyduck: oh god, the flashbacks: "Sunday is our special day for lunch, we always eat liver and onions" *at a Mexican restaurant*

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

greazeball posted:

If you're not seen at church the gossip mill starts and keeps picking up steam until the next time you're there.

:psyduck: oh god, the flashbacks: "Sunday is our special day for lunch, we always eat liver and onions" *at a Mexican restaurant*

Yeah, I get that, I just don't see WHY exactly. I get the importance of faith and ritual, but if it's not doing it for you and it's just a slog then why put yourself through it and why does anyone else care?

Sorry, utter derailment from the topic, as well as being a sophomoric atheist/agnostic argument that has been made and remade a million times over the years and always coming out with the answer "because some people are just dicks".

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Lots of people just like to judge others:

People who do x are cunts.
People who don't do y are pricks.

Really doesn't even have anything to do with church specifically, go into any car vs cycling thread or just look at the way people treat retail/food service staff.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Is it just the restaurant industry, or is it all over retail that customers are complete and total assholes on Sundays? I mean moreso than usual. I understand that you've just sat through a monotonous church service for [x] amount of hours and you're probably grumpy because you had to get up early on the weekend, but stop taking it out on servers, you jerks.

at the pharmacy i worked at (man it feels good to talk about that in past tense) people were sometimes pissed when they couldn't read the "Friday Saturday only" part on our "Friday and Saturdays" specials which happen ever Friday and Saturday. I always found it funny when they refused to buy it anyways, even though it was still a sale price, just not as good as one.

Fil5000 posted:

Isn't that all God does? Care about whether or not you do stupid poo poo or not?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I get that, I just don't see WHY exactly. I get the importance of faith and ritual, but if it's not doing it for you and it's just a slog then why put yourself through it and why does anyone else care?

Community?

Without bringing this into a religious debate and discussion, I know plenty of Jews who hate going to schul and don't even believe in God, but are fairly observant and are at major events and go every Friday night, anyways. Community is a big aspect - seeing everyone is nice, sitting around listening to some guy wax and wane about Jesus Christ isn't.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
A ton of the customers that come in Sunday at my place are extreme couponers that have managed to get up early and already managed the clip them out before opening.

But, yeah, I'd probably be cranky if I had to listen to someone nag me that I'm going to Hell every Sunday.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There are massive pullout advertising sections in all the Sunday papers so it could just be that everyone is simply lathered up in modern marketing's entitlement complex.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

greazeball posted:

Really doesn't even have anything to do with church specifically, go into any car vs cycling thread or just look at the way people treat retail/food service staff.

Out of some misplaced masochism on my part, I'm actually curious about this. I'm guessing this was a GBS thread?

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Overheard this while in the checkout line earlier... Brought back some memories...

Customer: "These are both in the Buy Any Two For The Price Of One deal, right?"
Cashier: "Absolutely right, sir."
Customer: "Right, well I'd like to buy this one (£5 item) and get this one (£15 item) for free then."
Cashier: "I'm afraid it's the lowest price item for free, sir. It does say so on the promo signs."

Now ten minutes of customer arguing, getting steadily angrier, manager called over... You know how it goes. Sigh.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Overheard this while in the checkout line earlier... Brought back some memories...

Customer: "These are both in the Buy Any Two For The Price Of One deal, right?"
Cashier: "Absolutely right, sir."
Customer: "Right, well I'd like to buy this one (£5 item) and get this one (£15 item) for free then."
Cashier: "I'm afraid it's the lowest price item for free, sir. It does say so on the promo signs."

Now ten minutes of customer arguing, getting steadily angrier, manager called over... You know how it goes. Sigh.

Can I guess, can I guess, can I guess?

Did the 'customer' get his way, or at least something a normal customer would not have otherwise received?

I guess you're in the UK, but at this point in the US, that guy would be a stock holder because of our 'the customer is always right, now shove his dick in my rear end' mentality.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

miscellaneous14 posted:

Out of some misplaced masochism on my part, I'm actually curious about this. I'm guessing this was a GBS thread?

Seemed like it used to be once a month that one descended into hysteria and hyperbole by page 2 but I haven't actually read gbs in years

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

Can I guess, can I guess, can I guess?

Did the 'customer' get his way, or at least something a normal customer would not have otherwise received?

I guess you're in the UK, but at this point in the US, that guy would be a stock holder because of our 'the customer is always right, now shove his dick in my rear end' mentality.

I didn't stick around long enough to see the end. I was in line at the next checkout over, I passed the manager on my way out as he was heading over to deal with it. As I was about to leave I did hear another customer (guessing behind the dude in line) shout "Pay for your stuff or piss off!"

Almost worth heading back to watch, but I had a bus to catch.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
When it comes to money a lot of customers just seem to not be able to read or are just plain stupid. We've had a lot of buy 2 get 1 deals lately, which means you have to buy 3 items and you'd get the third one free. 99.99999% of customers can't understand this and think that it means if you buy 2 items, you get one of those 2 items free. Almost every single time someone comes through with the items that are on sale, I make a note to mention before I ring anything up that, "Did you mean to get one more of these? It's buy 2 get 1, not buy 1 get 1." Almost never fails that someone gets pissed off and is insistent that the sign says otherwise, and even if I point it out in the ad, they demand that someone go and look at the sign. When it turns out we're right, they just get pissed and don't get any of the sales items.
A lot of things also are only certain varieties and not every single one of that brand. Like say.. this week we have Keebler's cookies on sale BOGO, but it's only the Chips Deluxe or Vienna Fingers, not any other kind like the Sandies or anything like that. It even says so right on the sign that's directly underneath the ones that are on sale but most customers don't read that, and then do the exact same thing as mentioned above which is yell and scream that "that wasn't what the sign says, someone needs to go check it!!!" and just cause more trouble than it's worth.
People also seem to think that we're always out to get them and cheat them out of their "hard-earned" money. I have several regular customers that won't let me ring anything up until they have everything unloaded on the belt and are able to watch me scan each item. I don't mean just looking at the screen on their side while I'm ringing stuff up, I mean actually stare behind the register and watch me move things over the scanner to make sure I'm not ringing stuff up more than once I guess? Some people also won't go the gently caress away until they've checked their mile long receipt to make sure everything rung up right. For one, even if something didn't ring up right, I can't do ANYTHING about it because I don't have the authority or the ability to do refunds at my register. For two, you're blocking the way for the customer behind you and making people and items pile up, please move!!
Another thing I also hate is when people automatically shout at me, "I HAVE WATER UNDER HERE." or "I HAVE # OF THESE." "THIS IS SUPPOSED TO RING UP FREE DID IT RING UP FREE?" (I haven't rung anything up yet?) "I WANT PAPER/PLASTIC." It's really rude to just shout at me before I've had the chance to say anything. At least wait until I'm through asking you how you're doing. And don't interrupt me mid-sentence then ignore me when I try to finish asking.

I hope I get the bank job.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

drat Bananas posted:

I don't know what it is about this store I transferred to, maybe our proximity to the airport, but we have gotten a poo poo ton of visitors from higher-ups in corporate, and I've only been here 8 months. I'd literally never seen anything other than a district manager at my other two locations over the course of five years, but in this 8 months I've seen the president once, the VPs a handful of times, the regional manager about once a month, and the territory manager (I think there are 3 in the country) is actually building an office in our store to be based out of here from now on.

Today is another visit from the VP and our managers have been running around like chickens with their heads cut off, stressed as hell, and snapping at employees trying to get the store perfect. Like, every single piece of merchandise needs to be in size-order perfect. Can't wait to start my shift!

So, an update... The guy didn't show up. Not a "there was a miscommunication" no show, a "purposefully go to the stores in adjacent cities to see how they are on a normal business day" bait-and-switch no show. I understand that it's good to see a store in its normal day-to-day operations, but why torture our store for that? Couldn't he just have shown up completely unannounced? Several people were forced to work on their approved vacation days, others on days they don't have in their availability, a good 30+ people came in today at 4am (we open at 8) to keep perfecting the store, and even more had several 12-14hr shifts over the weekend and today/yesterday. Our store looks great, but nobody who matters cares. We got all of the stress without the pats on the back!

On another note, I hate customers who leave halfway through their transaction to "get another one" or "get a coupon I left in my car" when there is a line behind them. It's stupidly common, do these peoples' parents teach them any manners?

vvvv Seriously. We weren't allowed to use the intercom to page anyone or call for backup cashiers. Because our voices are annoying or something. Or use merchandise carts to carry things to the sales floor. Gee I love carrying out 30 boxes of small (big) kitchen electrics by hand!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 31, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I never understood the point of corporate announcing when they're coming, at least if they actually want to see how the store runs. Every time it happened, all we ever did was pace back and forth in the lobby looking busy and trying to smile all the time.

You would have to be literally retarded to believe that this is literally how the store operates all the time.

uptown
May 16, 2009
They must derive some sick satisfaction from the panic that they know occurred the night before. I know that when my store gets a visit from our head office or area team, we're all running around like chickens with our heads cut off the night before making the store PERFECT, and then they just walk around once and spend the rest of the day in the back room. Fuckers.

My latest rant isn't too big of an issue, but yet again my manager has shown that she can't read availabilities. I changed my availability to "close only" on days that I'm in school, and yet next Friday I'm scheduled for a 1-5. Under no circumstances could I EVER have written that on my availability sheet, my school schedule has been made and set in stone for over two months, long before I changed my availability. It's not too big of an issue because I just gave the shift away with no hassle, but I would have much preferred a 5-close shift that day so I could have made a few bucks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Our district manager will sometimes call our store and say hes coming. Then something will "come up" and he won't make it but we won't be told until after he's expected and everyone is made to work their asses off to try and make the store look up to ~brand~

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SpartanIV posted:

Our district manager will sometimes call our store and say hes coming. Then something will "come up" and he won't make it but we won't be told until after he's expected and everyone is made to work their asses off to try and make the store look up to ~brand~

This is a man who's dead set on making his numbers every drat quarter.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
No he just hates our store manager for some reason and does everything in his power to make her miserable. For example, she takes a one week vacation once a year and during those 7 days is when he does most of his surprise visits for the year.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The funny thing is that during the period where we have to make everything look really spiffy, they told us to mostly ignore cleaning the actual theaters, so they were literally pissing off the customers to appease the top brass in absolutely arbitrary ways. Who the gently caress cares if there's a SINGLE SPECK OF POPCORN OH NO, what if a customer comes out complaining about how the theater looks like poo poo? I doubt that'd make for the best corporate impression.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Our district manager also will run his finger along the tops of shelves to check for dust.

There is ALWAYS going to be dust. We actually dust fairly regularly and try to keep our store clean but my department is right inside the doors and the store is next to a giant dirt field. Within a day there is visible dust on the shelves again.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
All this talk about district mangers and company presidents is making me nervous. Yesterday (55 minutes into Thursday over here), I'm scheduled off but know our store had a visit from both company president and our specific department lead (head of 120 stores).

We're at a severe disadvantage because we're currently in the middle of a massive remodel. To them, that's no excuse. Doesn't matter if we are unable to keep up because due to not being use to offering an additional service in our department. Doesn't matter if we have new machines that aren't properly set up. Doesn't matter if every week we're having to change what goes where due to adding new display space. It doesn't matter if we have inexperienced people in our department to try to accommodate the new service we offer (that was implemented only 5 days ago).

I'm pissed because the last couple orders I done were done in haste because I was too busy taking care of other important things. I know I missed a few minor things when I last ordered, but it doesn't matter. It's just a few more things for our bosses to scrutinize us for even though this particular week just so happens to be an exceptionally bad week for us.

In 8 hours I get to go back to work and hear all about it, I just hope things didn't go as bad as I fear. I hate retail.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Had a girl at work ask me today, for the 3rd day in a row, if i'd take her shifts. The past two days it was literally, no joke, "I don't feel like coming in to work." Today I guess she got a little smarter lol and told me she couldn't work because her grandpa was coming into town and she has to clean her house. Her shift is at 4-10, she texted me before 7am this morning. It doesn't take all drat day to clean a house.
The thing that pisses me off the most? She got offered a better position but later turned it down. She's asking people all the time to take her shifts and probably only comes in at least once a month when she can't get the shift covered. She got offered a better position, and I bust my rear end covering multiple shifts and coming into work with crippling pain, and I get passed up.

Krabsworth
Feb 20, 2011

by T. Mascis
Quit my retail job this week :smug:

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005

silversiren posted:

Had a girl at work ask me today, for the 3rd day in a row, if i'd take her shifts.
I learned that lesson the hard way. Ages ago, in my first days at Long's Drugs (now CVS in California) a young woman coworker who initially ignored and turned her nose up at me is suddenly begging me in a sweet voice to please take a couple of her shifts. Next thing you know, I was working 11 days in a row as the new guy and was utterly exhausted. Naturally the favor was never returned (she never took any of my shifts when I needed help) and I swiftly stopped taking shifts from anybody except in dire circumstances and only if they were within a select group of friendly and cooperative coworkers.

I don't know who was worse, the customers or the coworkers.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
She's also offered to trade shifts but of course, when it comes time for her to take my shift, she "forgets" to let the manager know or has something come up at the last minute so I end up having to take the shift even though I've made plans, like a doctor's appointment or something important like that. She's even done it once before when I was already out, clear on the other side of town, and didn't let me know until 30 minutes before my shift would've started. I didn't come in, but I didn't get in trouble for it.

When I had my little angry talk with the managers about feeling like I'm being punished for being sick, I brought up the situation, but I didn't mention names. Now I'm wondering if I should, but I would suspect they already know there's an issue with her. If they want to talk about unreliable and undependable, she's like the EPITOME of both.

e: I don't take shifts from her anymore because of all the bullshit she pulls. Even if I was able to today (I have class right in the middle of when the shift would be) and I did take the shift, it would put me into full-time range for hours and I doubt the manager wants to pay me for full-time, so I highly doubt the store would let me do it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If you swap shifts always let a manager know it's been done. No exceptions ever. Even when I swap shifts with good friends of mine, I let the bosses know.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
We're required to fill out a form and get it signed by a manager if we want to take/trade shifts. That way if she "forgets" then it's still her fault (In theory anyway, there's fine print on the form saying that your shift is still your responsibility if the other person doesn't show, but to my knowledge that has never been enforced)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Exactly one month to the loving day and I get an email from my friend, just a note that she is OMG SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPERBUSY with the store. Working seven days a week, 10-12 hours a day, but it sure looks nice! And they are so drat busy! So busy she doesn't have time to do anything else unless it's with her work crew, like everyone goes to the boss's house after work for movies and then it's back to work the next day.

She blames her sudden exhaustion on this new dog she somehow, for some insane reason, got. She is never home but got a loving dog. I have no clue anymore.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
How can she afford a dog? If this is the gaming store I thought you said she wasn't even getting paid to work there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Apparently it was given to her. Some kennel dog that is six years old, isn't housebroken, and I don't know.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Apparently it was given to her. Some kennel dog that is six years old, isn't housebroken, and I don't know.
Well at least she doesn't have to walk it, then. :stare:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ Long as it wasn't a ghost stromboli. Nothing is worse than haunted food.

My hair is now bone white

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

caveman thug poo poo posted:

My hair is now bone white

I hope you just search threads for PFT quotes and then appear with that avatar. That would be awesome.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I can't take night shift any more. I can't do anything I want to do because I need to sleep late morning and afternoons. My memory also seems to be affected in a weird way; it's really hard for me to differentiate days anymore. This is especially bad when I work two nights in a row.

On top of that, my stocking quota is an ever changing thing that no one ever decides to tell me about until the store managers comes over to talk to me. We're supposed to throw 180 pieces a night. As I'm the newest employee and everyone else has been there for years, I do not have an aisle that's "mine". The full time employees and even the long term part timers have their own aisle that they'll work by default when they're clocked in. I'm not so lucky and am often given some or all of the smaller aisles or fill in for someone who's off. Not only does this mean I have to waste time walking around the store, I have to keep track of stock for a lot more places in the store. I can do the 180 items okay, I guess. I was having a lot of difficulty at first but more recently I've been hitting it. Of course today I learned again that it's changed.

I was working cereal, which is easily my least favorite aisle. Shitton of items with very specific ways that they need to be blocked. I'm given 187 items to work. Of them a large amount, probably 60 or more, are overstock. I finish throwing the items at about 5:15 AM. Since I started at about 1 AM (when you take my half hour lunch and 15 minute break into account) that means I did a little over 40 items an hour on average which happens to be what I'm required to do. I think I'm good. It's about 5:30 and I've just started blocking. The shift asst. manager comes over to tell me that she'll send someone else over to help me top rack items. Great, I think, that'll save me some time.

Unfortunately that doesn't happen and I'm blocking alone for about 30 minutes. The store manager finally arrives for his shift and sees me in an aisle filled with a ton of overstock. He's a bit annoyed. Not angry or mad, but he comes over to me, asks how I'm doing, and then begins asking questions about how many items I did, how much overstock there was, etc. I'm then informed by him that since about 60 items were overstock they don't really count and that I basically did 120 items in 4 hours which was unacceptable. Then he goes on to say that it's important that he gets the numbers up. That makes a lot of sense to me since it's clear he just wants to look good to whatever bosses he has despite obviously having no idea how night shift actually works. Just because I find out an item is overstock doesn't mean that I didn't waste time opening it, looking for the spot, closing the box, marking it, and then moving it somewhere out of the way if it's bulky/heavy, etc. Of course this is the same guy who thinks that 20 lb and 40 lb bags of dog and cat food also shouldn't count because "you just have to put it on the shelf".

This story was not very interesting, sorry. I'm just really annoyed and really loving tired of the place and can't really put it into words aside from "gently caress RETAIL". The people I work with all act pretty nice to me but considering how much bullshit highschool-y gossip they say about others when I'm around I'm fairly sure they don't actually like me. I really wish they'd just fire me and get it over wish or, better yet, have the universe allow me to find a better job.

Ugh. I should really go back to school for something.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 3, 2011

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The General posted:

If you swap shifts always let a manager know it's been done. No exceptions ever. Even when I swap shifts with good friends of mine, I let the bosses know.
"No exceptions, ever" indeed. I asked an alleged friend of mine, who is also a manager, to cover a shift for me; I asked about a month in advance and figured that since I never ever asked to have shifts covered it was pretty apparent how much I needed that night off. He said he'd do it. Then, a week beforehand, he backed out because he'd scored free tickets to a waterpark that day and since it was just a friendly handshake agreement he had no obligation to follow through. Dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sankis posted:

I can't take night shift any more. I can't do anything I want to do because I need to sleep late morning and afternoons. My memory also seems to be affected in a weird way; it's really hard for me to differentiate days anymore. This is especially bad when I work two nights in a row.

Working nights is something else. Some people just can't do it. I've been doing it for roughly 7 years and I think it's starting to get to me.