Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I have access to our library resources from the computer I'm sitting at, but I've never needed to look something like this up so I'm not sure how to go about it. The easy fallback is to just do dates of service for the classes, but it's bugging me to have all the relevant information but the Delta I and IIs. Don't let me hold you back from your own work on my account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/exclusive-22-raptor-flyers-family-demands-truth-air/story?id=16253815#.T6Kg28XH1D2

Family of dead F-22 pilot demanding answers.

Further report on Nightline.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/family-demands-truth-pilots-death-16267067?tab=9482930&section=1206872&playlist=12828735

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 3, 2012

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

This sounds like an onion quote: "Haney was to blame for the crash because he was too distracted by his inability to breathe to fly the plane properly."

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
CF-35 poo poo show still in motion

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/03/government-withheld-key-f-35-data-to-shield-full-cost-from-canadians-watchdog/

Another article mentions the RCAF is not looking at alternatives.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Flanker posted:

Another article mentions the RCAF is not looking at alternatives.

What a bunch of babies.

Given the systematic lying and corruption of the acquisition process thus far, I find it very difficult to believe the government is actually reconsidering things, and not just, well, telling more lies

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Jetrock posted:

Here's a link to a virtual tour of Sea Shadow, a relic of the latter part of the Cold War, a Stealth ship:

http://www.hnsa.org/seashadow/

For much of its life the Sea Shadow sat inside the HMB-1, a big floating/submersible drydock, to evade prying eyes. I used to see this weird-shaped beast floating in Suisun Bay on the way to San Francisco and wonder what the hell it was--the house for a floating test-bed for naval Stealth technology! The HMB-1 was also used as part of a mission to retrieve a sunken Soviet sub.

Cold war spergnote: Not only is this a thorough and good tour of the soon to be scrapped Sea Shadow, at the end of the tour there are photos of the Hughes Mining Barge, originally built to work with the Glomar Explorer in 'Project Azorian'. They show it operating fully submerged. Yeah, it's not your typical drydock. I've read a lot of cold war poo poo, and I've never seen those photos.

The text says the barge carried the enormous claw that was used to bring the Russian submarine up to the surface, and it also held as much of the sub as they recovered. It operated submerged beneath Glomar Explorer. I'm not sure if that's ever been disclosed anywhere else.

One fine day I was driving across the SF Bay Bridge and caught a glimpse of the Sea Shadow underway on the San Francisco Bay. Wish I had a photo, but you can't pull over on that bridge...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Memo from the DND about why the F-35 is the bee's tits:

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01402/DND_s_160-word_bri_1402949a.pdf

:stare: Holy poo poo it reads like it was written by a 13 year old.

The Auditor General, however, is not an idiot:

AG posted:

Mr. Ferguson, though, wasn’t impressed. In his April 3 report, he noted that calling something “fifth-generation” wasn’t really a useful selling point.

“It is important to note that the term … is not a description of an operational requirement,” the auditor-general wrote in his F-35 report.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/dnd-makes-case-for-buying-f-35s-in-terse-160-word-letter/article2423797/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Goddamn, the -22 and -35 are such boondoggles. Like, above and beyond normal DoD fuckups.

:clint: Hey we have a fighter, and a variant is gonna have VTOL capability with a fan added into the fuselage and room for a laser. No, we're serious. Seriously. What? Well, on paper it works but we haven't actually got it to work yet. Minor detail. Oh the other one? Well that has supercruise! Yeah, yeah I know it makes people pass out, but hell, so do some maneuvers. Just make them fly it low.

Why are you laughing? This is the 5th generation air dominance we're talking about. Hello?

He hung up on me :(

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

grover posted:

The F-4 and some other aircraft of that era had cable bridles that ran from the catapult shoe to the wings to distribute the load and not snap the front landing gear. It would release from the aircraft when it got to the end of the catapult, but slap the bow of the ship with tremendous force and cause damage to the ship and bridles. Thus, catapult bow extensions were added to catch the bridles. F-4G was the last to use it, but it was taken out of service in the late 90s. No naval aircraft uses these anymore, so they've not installed on new ships and been removed from most older ships to decrease weight/moment.

Holy loving poo poo I didn't know this was a thing! Thanks for explaining it! I also wondered what those ramps were for the longest time.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I found a pretty interesting decent called The Wings of Sweden that gives the history of the Swedish military aircraft industry (pre cold war as well), it includes historical film and it's entirely in English for those interested.

It even covers the War :insert crying UN smiley:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 9, 2012

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Cropssposting from AI:

Phanatic posted:

Look like Sukhoi's first commercial bird isn't going too well, it went missing during a demo flight with 50 people on board:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120509/D9UL7N6G2.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, just booked a sort-of spur of the moment week long trip to DC next month. Does it make a difference/are the crowds worse at Udvar-Hazy on the weekend?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The place is so huge I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's also a long drive from downtown so you don't have people wandering around just to enjoy the AC for a while like in the museums on the mall.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

slidebite posted:

Well, just booked a sort-of spur of the moment week long trip to DC next month. Does it make a difference/are the crowds worse at Udvar-Hazy on the weekend?

Udvar-Hazy's a pretty huge hanger and even with all the stuff it's still only about 75% full, so there's plenty of room to walk around. The Discovery crowds should hopefully be lower as well. If you check out each and every exhibit its a good solid day - the parking is $15 so it's a bit pricy to return the next day.

Try to head up into the observation tower around 12:30-12:45 - the Air France A380 flight from Paris comes into Dulles in the early afternoon (a little after 1 pm) and it often flies by the UH tower. Ask the old museum guide who's on duty up there when it's expected to arrive, they tend to know what the schedule is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's good info, thanks! The 380 comes in every day?

$15 parking really isn't a big deal for me considering I might not ever be there again.. should it be worth to plan over 2 days?

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003
You can probably plan on one day, unless you are running late and/or you are the type of person who obsessively reads every placard and display. Also, depending on your specific interests (civil, space, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, modern military, etc.), you can spend more time in certain areas and skim through others.

The only place where you're likely to have to do any sort of waiting is for the observation tower elevator, so make sure you get in line for that 15-20 minutes early or so.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Yeah, I'd say one day as well.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pimpmust posted:

I found a pretty interesting decent called The Wings of Sweden that gives the history of the Swedish military aircraft industry (pre cold war as well), it includes historical film and it's entirely in English for those interested.

That part about dive-bombing-black-out was pretty :black101:. That or :downs:.
And I can't believe how sleek the J-22 was. Like a miniature P-47.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

slidebite posted:

That's good info, thanks! The 380 comes in every day?

$15 parking really isn't a big deal for me considering I might not ever be there again.. should it be worth to plan over 2 days?

Normally it does...sometimes it's ~30 minutes early or late though > http://www.metwashairports.com/3943.htm

If you get there at 10 am when it opens you should have plenty of time to see everything in one day, even their awesome random set of aircraft engines hidden under one of the wheelchair ramps:

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/objectsondisplay.cfm?type=engine&loc=uhc

Seriously look at these sexy beauties:

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

VikingSkull posted:

Well that has supercruise! Yeah, yeah I know it makes people pass out, but hell, so do some maneuvers.

I saw an Air Force release at work today that was something along the lines of "we have the F-22 asphyxiation issue narrowed down to pilots receiving contaminated oxygen or no oxygen!"

:haw:

The root cause of asphyxiation is asphyxiation, I had no idea!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Looks like the Sukhoi Superjet has been found :smith:

http://en.rian.ru/world/20120510/173352397.html

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Udvar-Hazy's a pretty huge hanger and even with all the stuff it's still only about 75% full, so there's plenty of room to walk around. The Discovery crowds should hopefully be lower as well. If you check out each and every exhibit its a good solid day

I went last summer (shameless plug) and got to see most of what they had in ~4-5 hours (I was catching a plane in the afternoon) Just don't spend a lot of time on sections which are "eh, kinda neat, but not so much" - or at least, prioritize. Hit all the stuff that's cool first and then go back to the stuff that's less of what you're super interested in.

It's definitely a one day trip. If you don't leave at 2 like I had to, you're fine. Do get there when it opens, if you can. Go to the popular spots before the crowds swarm it, especially if you want to take pictures of planes, not people in front of planes.

Basically, the SR-71 should be first on your list regardless, but here's a second reason to make it first.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Operating Rod posted:

I saw an Air Force release at work today that was something along the lines of "we have the F-22 asphyxiation issue narrowed down to pilots receiving contaminated oxygen or no oxygen!"

:haw:

The root cause of asphyxiation is asphyxiation, I had no idea!

The wonders of the F-22 never end!

quote:

Even as the Air Force searches for the reason pilots are getting sick flying the F-22, a new mystery about the troubled stealth fighter jet has come to light: Why are mechanics on the ground getting sick in the plane as well?

The Air Force has been looking into a number of reports that pilots experienced "hypoxia-like symptoms" aboard F-22s since April 2008. Hypoxia is oxygen deficiency.

The Air Force reports 25 cases of such systems, including 11 since September, when the service cleared the F-22 fleet to return to flight after a four-month grounding.

The fleet was grounded in May 2011 so the service could check the hypoxia reports, but the order was lifted in September under a "return to fly" plan, with equipment modifications and new rules including daily inspections of the life-support systems.

"Early on in the return to fly we had five maintainers that reported hypoxia symptoms," Gen. Daniel Wyman, command surgeon for the Air Combat Command, said during a conference call with reporters Wednesday.

The maintainers are mechanics on the F-22's ground crews who sometimes have to be in the cockpit while the jet's engine is doing a ground run.

"The maintainers, when they are doing their ground run, are not on the mask, they are in the cockpit," Wyman said.

The problem with maintainers getting sick while on the ground throws a wrench into some of the theories about why at least 25 pilots have suffered hypoxia symptoms.

The Air Force experts trying to figure out the cause of the problem have pointed out that the F-22 flies higher and faster than its predecessors, the F-15 and F-16.

There has also been speculation that there perhaps could be a problem with the system that feeds oxygen to the pilot's mask while in flight.

Asked what is causing the symptoms in maintainers on the ground, not wearing a mask, Wyman said, "I can't answer that at this time."

Sunday, two F-22 pilots told CBS's "60 Minutes" that they would not fly the jet any more. One of the reasons they gave was that there is a problem with the carbon filter built into their mask to help remove contaminants from the air they breathe.

Wyman said that "a black dust was noted in some of the breathing hoses near the filters. We analyzed this dust and found it to be activated carbon."

But no activated carbon was found in "30 pilots who had their throat swabbed for testing."

Activated carbon is an inert form of charcoal that has been used in air filters for years.

Nonetheless, the Air Force has decided to remove carbon filters from the F-22 pilot masks.

The Air Force said Tuesday that no disciplinary action will be taken against the pilots for taking their concerns to "60 Minutes."

CNN

There's something seriously, seriously wrong with that aircraft if it is giving ground crew hypoxia while the thing is sitting on the tarmac. That's scary as poo poo, and I don't blame the pilots who are refusing to fly it one bit. That's something that really struck me, to be honest. I mean, you work your rear end off to become one of the best pilots in the Air Force, you finally get assigned to the hot as poo poo, tip of the spear fighter, everything you've ever dreamed of. Then you have to give it up, because the thing acts like it's the little troll in Cats Eye trying to steal your breath. The fact that pilots refuse to fly it should be a red flag for everyone involved, but they just keep on keepin' on.

The whole fleet should be grounded until they solve this, and don't let them fly at all until it's solved. Jesus.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do the ground crews close and seal the cockpit while they're doing the ground run? I'd have thought they'd keep it open.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
From a time when developing aircraft was both easy and fun!

The ultimate Sabre in its VA (L) form:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Sadly this whole debacle will ultimately just serve to bring the era of manned combat aircraft to an end that much faster, and that makes me sad. :(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Scratch Monkey posted:

Sadly this whole debacle will ultimately just serve to bring the era of manned combat aircraft to an end that much faster, and that makes me sad. :(

Until such time as unmanned aircraft can't be hacked and diverted to Iran, I think pilots are safe.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I found a wonderful marketing video from the 50ies for the Draken. It's the accents that make it :allears:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

What a bunch of babies.

Given the systematic lying and corruption of the acquisition process thus far, I find it very difficult to believe the government is actually reconsidering things, and not just, well, telling more lies

At this point, I have to ask: does *any* government have a military procurement process that isn't an utter Mongolian cluster gently caress?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phanatic posted:

At this point, I have to ask: does *any* government have a military procurement process that isn't an utter Mongolian cluster gently caress?

The Rebel Alliance used to do OK :downsrim:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

The Rebel Alliance used to do OK :downsrim:

Incom kickbacks :colbert:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Phanatic posted:

Sweden. I mean, relatively speaking.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

I'm guessing countries which are only buying basic transportation, rifles, and some lovely body armor do OK, since they aren't trying to outdo the entire universe.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

mlmp08 posted:

I'm guessing countries which are only buying basic transportation, rifles, and some lovely body armor do OK, since they aren't trying to outdo the entire universe.

On the other hand, remember when that S&W executive got caught in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act sting? Small countries that are only looking to buy trucks, rifles, and maybe some body armor are also often the ones where the minister of defense is the president's brother-in-law or whatever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Space Gopher posted:

On the other hand, remember when that S&W executive got caught in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act sting? Small countries that are only looking to buy trucks, rifles, and maybe some body armor are also often the ones where the minister of defense is the president's brother-in-law or whatever.

Still small fry compared to JSF.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

FWIW that case was dismissed a couple months ago. http://fcpa.shearman.com/?s=matter&mode=form&id=297

I'll bet the defendants who took a plea deal are feeling a bit stupid right now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Have a cool video of James May on a Nasa U-2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJoMDq4AyLc&feature=related

Here's a Go-Pro promo with some pretty good Blue Angels cam and bonus Growler cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_owZzIAfQAE

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

Good question. South Africa? Israel?

OK, here's a rumor that I picked up from Wikipeida: somewhere on it there's a really in-depth discussion of nuclear weapons, and who tried to get them, and who has the capacity to make them. (The list of countries that have had nuclear weapon programs at one time or another just to say "gently caress it, it's too expensive" is amazing. Australia, Brazil, and Switzerland are the names that stick out to me.) Anyway, the article also ranked nations in their ability to produce nuclear weapons in the future, if they didn't already have them. There were only three nations that could produce weapons in a short period of time (one to two years) as only they had plenty of experience with atomic technology and the resources to do it. Those were Germany, Canada, and Japan.

I'm going to discount the first two, and ask about Japan. According to the article, Japan has a large stockpile of weapons grade plutonium, and a space launch vehicle that is a copy of an American ICBM. So, if they decided to go nuclear, they could do it in very short order. My question is: is this true, or is this some weird leftover yellow peril talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nebakenezzer posted:

Good question. South Africa? Israel?

OK, here's a rumor that I picked up from Wikipeida: somewhere on it there's a really in-depth discussion of nuclear weapons, and who tried to get them, and who has the capacity to make them. (The list of countries that have had nuclear weapon programs at one time or another just to say "gently caress it, it's too expensive" is amazing. Australia, Brazil, and Switzerland are the names that stick out to me.) Anyway, the article also ranked nations in their ability to produce nuclear weapons in the future, if they didn't already have them. There were only three nations that could produce weapons in a short period of time (one to two years) as only they had plenty of experience with atomic technology and the resources to do it. Those were Germany, Canada, and Japan.

I'm going to discount the first two, and ask about Japan. According to the article, Japan has a large stockpile of weapons grade plutonium, and a space launch vehicle that is a copy of an American ICBM. So, if they decided to go nuclear, they could do it in very short order. My question is: is this true, or is this some weird leftover yellow peril talk?

Debt of Honor.