Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The biggest issue I have with the character builder is that it does not notify you if a piece locks you out of something. I.e. if I pick this chest piece I can no longer get an armband, etc. For somebody new to it, they'd have no idea armbands and their ilk exists if they choose one of the chest/integrated chest pieces that lock them out of it. At least grey them out and let the player know why they can't pick that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
CO vs CoX
CO let me build cooler and more detailed robots. (Yes, hold on while I make sure all these wires and internal limb bits are all colored correctly, now that nobody will be able to see them after encasing them in individual shoulder/upper arm/forearm parts :spergin:).

CoX's less detailed graphics meant I was able to make more "Robot dressed like a kung fu wizard" or whatever that seemed like robots, instead of "Oh they are just wearing tights with a tech pattern". Proper robot limbs also usually being mutually exclusive to things like Sleeves and pants legs in CO, even with the skinny robo limbs didn't help there. Plenty of options that would sorta work, but I'm sure we all know that feeling of "This isn't QUITE what I'm aiming for" in character building for these games.

EDIT: Also, I think my obsession with 'let's make ROBOTS' helped me not give a poo poo about CO's art design. "You look like a plastic toy!" is more of a benefit for robots, and you don't have to mess around with slider bars trying to avoid anime face or give a poo poo about "realistic" proportions.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It was intuitive because it only had a handful of options.

Cryptic did a poor job of designing their individual costume categories, organizing them, and presenting them to you in the UI. :colbert:

And why can't CO's lists snap back to the last piece I used? WTF is wrong with them that they can't make that one simple QoL enhancement? I get a little pissed every time I play around with costumes having to scroll alllll the way back down to the section I was browsing through every single time I try something out.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 25, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm pretty sure it used to work like that but they broke it actually.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
The thing I find most irritating about CO is all the TOS warriors and report monkeys... gently caress I hate those guys

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Ms Andry posted:

The thing I find most irritating about CO is all the TOS warriors and report monkeys... gently caress I hate those guys

Who's kink did you shame?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mine, enjoy your ban, bitch

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I've recently hopped back into this game because I want to run around with an army of pets.

To that effect, I threw together this build. Just a rough draft, I'll probably change it around a bit to get the heal earlier and probably throw in a shield somewhere, but if there's any tips or suggestions, feel free to tell me.

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=11&n=&d=1468P468SUZ0000N000N100N501NC05N905LC05OC05MB01M905KC01KF01PE01MC05LA012ahL3VPA2N3q

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
Level 10: Presence (Secondary)
Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Mind
Level 6: Brilliant
Level 9: Intimidating
Level 12: Energetic
Level 15: Diplomatic
Level 18: Investigator
Level 21: Prodigy

Powers:
Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
Level 1: Eldritch Blast
Level 6: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2)
Level 8: Ritual of Ebon Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 11: March of the Dead (Rank 2, Forced March)
Level 14: Ritual of Arcane Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 17: Ritual of Radiant Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 20: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2)
Level 23: Invocation of Storm Calling (Rank 2, Electrical Storm)
Level 26: Void Horror (Rank 2)
Level 29: Summon Shadows (Rank 2)
Level 32: Command Animals (Rank 2)
Level 35: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 38: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations:
Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
Intelligence: Tinkering (1/2)
Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
Commander: Rapid Response (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
Commander: Well Trained (2/2)
Commander: Savage (3/3)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Genesis (2/2)
Mastery: Commander Mastery (1/1)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Probably don't need to bother with Circle of Primal Dominion since you're taking a tank pet. I'd also take Life Drain with the AOE advantage on it so you can sustain all your pets easily. If you're not going to rank Eldritch Blast then you probably shouldn't take it at all. You also really should take rank 3 of the damage aura, since it's going to be buffing every single one of your millions of pets. Also you have no toggle, tsk. Plus there is a pet you could still squeeze in that is pretty good. And why not take a self rez, that's pretty handy.

Also I strongly recommend you go all in with Presence, it will buff your damage aura (and all your minions) a bunch more as well as make your Lifedrain healing much larger. Also since you will be healing friendlies all the loving time you might as well get 10% of that stuck on yourself.

PS: be in Support mode

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=11&n=&d=1648P468SUZ0000N000N503N600NC05N905OC05M905KA05KC01KF01PE01MC055E01QJ000nHy3VPA3T8j

Name:

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:

Powers:
Level 1: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Compassion
Level 11: March of the Dead (Rank 2, Forced March)
Level 14: Ritual of Radiant Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 17: Invocation of Storm Calling (Rank 2, Electrical Storm)
Level 20: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Vampiric Sympathy)
Level 23: Void Horror (Rank 2)
Level 26: Summon Shadows (Rank 2)
Level 29: Command Animals (Rank 2)
Level 32: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 35: Arctic Beast (Rank 2)
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations:
Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
Arbiter: Arbiter Aura (3/3)
Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
Arbiter: Enhanced Gear (3/3)

e: woops, don't take Sentinel spec just for the pool picks, Arbiter is much better for you

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 10, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not to badmouth Sentinel, it's astonishing if you're into crowd control, but you're not.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Wasn't sure about Sentinel, but I thought intelligence buffed pet damage? Or does Presence/Rank 3 Ebon do a better job?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm not totally sure about that, if I remember correctly the tooltip/loading screen tip info is wrong. I know for sure that Presence has a large impact on the damage bonus to friendlies (not yourself) from Aura of X though.

e: Thinking about it some more, if I remember right NO stats have any impact on pet base damage since they added specializations. I don't think their crit chance is affect by any of your stats or gear either.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 10, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah here's some people saying the same thing about int and pet damage:
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=45402&page=15

or well, not exactly the same thing, they're saying superstats affect pet damage regardless of which stat is superstatted, which isn't quite what I meant but w/e

Be a huge dick and pump your Presence as high as possible, people will love having you in teams despite your horde of pets

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 10, 2015

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Alright, thanks.

Edit: Can't do it like that, at least, not in that order. I buy Eldritch Bolts, Aura of Ebon Destruction, and Compassion, but I can't buy Ritual of Ebon Summoning if I do.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 10, 2015

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Edit: Accidentally double posted

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 10, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See if it will let you take any of the other Tier 2 powers in your list to get you qualified, you have a bunch from Sorcery meta. At very worst, try taking Pyromancer's Blades, it's another temp summon that is shared for the whole Sorcery meta (gently caress it, swap it out for the self rez):

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 10, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=11&n=&d=1648P468SUZ0000N000N600N503L901NC05N905OC04MC04M905KA05LC05PE01KC015E010nHy3VPA3T8j

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
Level 1: Compassion
Level 6: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Pyromancer's Blades (Rank 2)
Level 11: Ritual of Ebon Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 14: March of the Dead (Rank 2, Forced March)
Level 17: Ritual of Radiant Summoning (Unbound Ritual)
Level 20: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Unbound Ritual)
Level 23: Invocation of Storm Calling (Rank 2, Electrical Storm)
Level 26: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Vampiric Sympathy)
Level 29: Ritual of Arcane Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 32: Command Animals (Rank 2)
Level 35: Void Horror (Rank 2)
Level 38: Arctic Beast (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Same problem. Compassion's not a Sorcery skill so it doesn't count towards being able to get Pyromancer's Blades.

I'm not sure on taking 3+ Temp Pet powers, either, I don't want to spend too much time on summoning/resummoning temp pets

That said, I could push Compassion to later and take Tyrannon's Familiar and be back on track. How good is that pet?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

gently caress it, take Sigils of Ebon Weakness which is a baller debuff (especially with high Presence).

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=11&n=&d=164200000000000N000N503N300NC05N600M905LC05MC05OC04N905KA05KC01KF01PE010nHy3Uyy3T8j

Name:

Super Stats:
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1:
Level 6:
Level 9:
Level 12:
Level 15:
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers:
Level 1: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Sigils of Ebon Weakness
Level 11: Compassion
Level 14: Invocation of Storm Calling (Rank 2, Electrical Storm)
Level 17: Ritual of Arcane Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 20: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 23: Ritual of Radiant Summoning (Unbound Ritual)
Level 26: March of the Dead (Rank 2, Forced March)
Level 29: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Vampiric Sympathy)
Level 32: Void Horror (Rank 2)
Level 35: Summon Shadows (Rank 2)
Level 38: Command Animals (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations:
Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (1/3)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tyrannon's Familiar is a weird one, I never used it and have no opinion of it. It seemed to be more about building up a charge to release on your own damage attacks rather than being a useful pet on its own.

Also Arctic Beast is gonna be more durable than Command Animals, because it's not balanced around being two separate animals, but w/e you already have a horde of pets either way.

e: Also if you're leveling, take Life Drain sooner (17 or 20)

e: Pillar of Poz is also a really useful little power even unranked.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 10, 2015

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Flesh Forge posted:

Tyrannon's Familiar is a weird one, I never used it and have no opinion of it. It seemed to be more about building up a charge to release on your own damage attacks rather than being a useful pet on its own.

Also Arctic Beast is gonna be more durable than Command Animals, because it's not balanced around being two separate animals, but w/e you already have a horde of pets either way.

Yeah. I'm only level 11 at the moment, so I'm definitely gonna grab Life Drain early.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I use Tyrannon's Familiar on my Sorcery Blaster toon. It's an alright tank/diversion, but nothing spectacular. The character is only 32ish(and I haven't even been subbed since September), so she's still a work in progress. I'll still be making plenty of adjustments to her when I come back to CO in a few months.

Pillar of Poz is a great utilitarian PBAoE, but rightfully gets a lot of hate if you use it in Alerts.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Okay, I've gone back and changed my build to re-include Eldritch Blast for the moment until I get to a level where I can pick up Lifedrain. It was costing me more fights to not have an attack that was better than an energy builder, even an unranked Eldritch Blast, to help the pets before they got overwhelmed.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I considered saying something about that - wasn't sure if pets got any better lately.

You're better off following the golden rule of passive/toggle/single-nuke/aoe-nuke until you get to a level where you're sure you can do without!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

LordSaturn posted:

I considered saying something about that - wasn't sure if pets got any better lately.

You're better off following the golden rule of passive/toggle/single-nuke/aoe-nuke until you get to a level where you're sure you can do without!

Well, the pets are good and they can handle groups of enemies, just the ebon ritual pet and march of the dead are good enough for that for the moment, but sometimes they can get overwhelmed, especially if they aggro another group. Then, without a personal attack other than the energy builder, I'm kinda screwed. So, with this, I help keep them from being overwhelmed, and I have something I can do if the enemy group manages to beat the pets.

Edit: Oh. Probably should have asked this earlier, what's the Supergroup to join? I've been a member of the SuperGoon channel, but I don't think I've heard anyone on it.

Edit 2: Quick question about the Arbiter Tree. Does Honor (+5/10% Damage on your next attack, or in this case tick, when you heal an ally) get the buff off of Life Siphon/give Life Siphon a damage boost, and does Ally include pets?

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 11, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's totally fine to do that while you're leveling of course, and you probably ought to even rank your blast for a while and then buy it back out. It's cheap to do this when you're below 30, don't sweat it too much. I'll log in and invite you, post your "character@account" name - once you're in the SG, then someone (me) needs to promote you, and from that point you can invite your own alts with "/sginvite character@account".

BenRGamer posted:

Edit 2: Quick question about the Arbiter Tree. Does Honor (+5/10% Damage on your next attack, or in this case tick, when you heal an ally) get the buff off of Life Siphon/give Life Siphon a damage boost, and does Ally include pets?

I'm fairly sure the effect is applied on your next application of direct damage or your next DOT for the full run of the DOT. That's really hard to test though.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Can I just say that I'm happy to see that this thread is actually seeing a bit of activity? Champions is a much better game than a lot of people give it credit for. Sure, it's got it's problems, but they've improved things a lot within the last couple of years. I think Alerts are fun.

If you're looking for another good ranged Sorcery power, you can't go wrong with Skarn's Bane. It's a cone attack that hits multiple foes for some pretty sizable ticks of damage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Skarn's is one of my favorite attacks in the game, yeah, although most of its damage is at the end of its run, meaning you need quite a lot of energy recovery to really make it good.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Flesh Forge posted:

It's totally fine to do that while you're leveling of course, and you probably ought to even rank your blast for a while and then buy it back out. It's cheap to do this when you're below 30, don't sweat it too much.

Devrios@Ben6989

And, I hit level 14 and picked up Life Siphon. Definitely don't need Eldritch Blast anymore, with Compassion my pets are all but unkillable now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

done

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

BenRGamer posted:

And, I hit level 14 and picked up Life Siphon. Definitely don't need Eldritch Blast anymore, with Compassion my pets are all but unkillable now.

This build sounds 1) kind of sick and 2) completely different from my kickback tank with pets. I should try it out...

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I know it's not the best, but I kinda wanna grab Command Animals just to go with Arctic Beast and Ritual of Primal Summoning just to be able to throw a pack of dinosaurs at people.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Is there still a goon sg kicking around? Silver accounts can join those right?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes, talk on /supergoons ingame or if no one's around I can log in to invite you. There's usually at least Dinictus and James Bonnell around and a few others, everyone has permission to invite.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Supergoon, no S.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Is there gonna be a goon group tomorrow to run alerts on Double XP Weekend?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hey all, can I get an SG invite?

Imaginary Numbers@SpoilersBelow

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Done

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Need a little build help, because, as I'm sure you've all encountered, free form is a bit overwhelming while you're still getting the hang of it. Is there any synergy at all between electricity and wind? It seems like there ought to be with Stormbringer buffing all the types of damage you'd do, and the big elec blasts making up with wind's lack of them, but I can find anyone online who's done anything with it. If not, that's cool and I'll just go one or the other.

Also, is there any good overview of the different play styles, and the different passives that go along with them? (That seems to be the deciding factor in most FF builds that I can see, other than stat choice.) I've read all of Bluhman's over on Steam and they've been very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Need a little build help, because, as I'm sure you've all encountered, free form is a bit overwhelming while you're still getting the hang of it. Is there any synergy at all between electricity and wind? It seems like there ought to be with Stormbringer buffing all the types of damage you'd do, and the big elec blasts making up with wind's lack of them, but I can find anyone online who's done anything with it. If not, that's cool and I'll just go one or the other.

Also, is there any good overview of the different play styles, and the different passives that go along with them? (That seems to be the deciding factor in most FF builds that I can see, other than stat choice.) I've read all of Bluhman's over on Steam and they've been very helpful.

The synergy is a bit lacking. Only in so far as that they work thematically, and that they tend to be ranged attacks that can key off of Concentration for the self-buff, or Quarry for the passive if Stormbringer's numbers aren't up your alley.

As for your other question, there's various information peppered in the CO forums' threads of people asking for build help. Goodness knows I haven't checked the stickies in forever, however. It may help to just look for builds by powers or themes with the forums search there. Or if you have a particular desire to have to include particular powers, feel free to ask here, and let some of the folks here do some build wizardry.