Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Okay, I seriously hate Day 3's hit Fumi to wake her up mission, because everything about this is bad. The constant respawning enemies even when you've broken all of the cell phones, the overpowered boss you have to run past that has loving Ziodyne and can wipe out any of your characters in one hit, and the target that blocks constantly so it takes FOREVER to reduce their health and they heal their demon buddies to full so it makes it even more annoying. How much stuff like this is in the game?

You could always just kill the boss, slap evil wave demons on your best magic dudes, give them the appropriate amp skill and the dance magic for that amp skill and blow him to bits, crack ziodyne for extra fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I seriously can't even approach DS2, the recycling of content so liberally makes it feel cheap and tortured. It's almost the same drat thing as DS1 but somehow strictly worse, and the impressions I've gleaned from the rest of the thread is that it doesn't get much better. To clarify, I own it and have tried to get past the first day about three times before giving up out of pure apathy. I think I'm going to just wait a year and come back to it when I have the itch.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
If your referring to reusing the maps from the first game, that pretty much stops on day 2, I think there are like only 2 maps that get reused from the first game post day 2.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Okay, I seriously hate Day 3's hit Fumi to wake her up mission, because everything about this is bad. The constant respawning enemies even when you've broken all of the cell phones, the overpowered boss you have to run past that has loving Ziodyne and can wipe out any of your characters in one hit, and the target that blocks constantly so it takes FOREVER to reduce their health and they heal their demon buddies to full so it makes it even more annoying. How much stuff like this is in the game?

As Alteisen said, this is about the point where the game starts punishing you for not using Evil Wave. Evil Wave nerfs the hell out of Botis, and if you wipe out the Orcus that the boss is using, then it won't Guard any more when you attack it from range.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I got past it a few hours ago only to run into Ronaldo and his lovely Chaos Wave. Although, it's not as hard as it seems, all I have to do is get rid of the demon with chaos wave and the other with evil wave and I'll be able to smack him around without that many worries. Is there anything else like Ronaldo in the rest of Day 3 or is it just one more boss who's kind of annoying until i figure out his gimmick?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Momomo posted:

I thought the worst part of that was having to beat up a defenseless woman a second time. Whoever thought up these scenarios is pretty hosed up.

I've only played until day 4, but it seems stuff like that is there to stay, unfortunately.

Honestly, once I heard her talk, I kind of wished I could do it again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DeathBySpoon posted:

Honestly, once I heard her talk, I kind of wished I could do it again.

...Beat up a defenseless woman? :stare:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

King of Solomon posted:

Male Gaze will be a mechanic in Persona 5.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Well I got past it a few hours ago only to run into Ronaldo and his lovely Chaos Wave. Although, it's not as hard as it seems, all I have to do is get rid of the demon with chaos wave and the other with evil wave and I'll be able to smack him around without that many worries. Is there anything else like Ronaldo in the rest of Day 3 or is it just one more boss who's kind of annoying until i figure out his gimmick?

Just the end day boss after you defeat him.
On day 7 you fight RonaldosX1,000.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I can't be the only one that thought she was the most annoying character in the whole cast. She hits every awful and annoying stereotype they could cram in there. The smug, condescending way she says everything along with the awful portraits / poses and retarded understanding of technology just makes her insufferable. It's even worse that every party member acts like a dumbass anytime she says something like "OH MY GOSH SHE'S SO SMART WHAT DOES THAT MEANNNN" If there were an opportunity to off her in the story I would have taken it with no hesitation.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DeathBySpoon posted:

I can't be the only one that thought she was the most annoying character in the whole cast. She hits every awful and annoying stereotype they could cram in there. The smug, condescending way she says everything along with the awful portraits / poses and retarded understanding of technology just makes her insufferable. It's even worse that every party member acts like a dumbass anytime she says something like "OH MY GOSH SHE'S SO SMART WHAT DOES THAT MEANNNN" If there were an opportunity to off her in the story I would have taken it with no hesitation.

I can't speak for everyone else, but Fumi was one of my favorite characters, actually. It's not her character's fault that everyone else is a moron. As far as my least favorite characters go, I'd say they're Keita, Airi, Yamato, then Daichi or Ronaldo, in more or less that order.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alteisen posted:

Just the end day boss after you defeat him.
On day 7 you fight RonaldosX1,000.

Sounds like tons of fun, can't wait.

EDIT: Anyways, so far I'm liking most of the cast. The only characters I have no real opinion of Hanako and Daichi. They didn't really leave much of an impact on me so far, Daichi's too... well, I guess the best way to put it is I've seen so many "Main character best friend" characters that I've sort of just stopped caring about them at this point. I mean pretty much every SMT game has had one, even the main series ones and Daichi doesn't really stand out amongst them beyond his scarf. And Hanako's just boring while being terribly dressed. Have to say I love Io's box plan, it was actually pretty funny if pointless.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 14, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I can't speak for everyone else, but Fumi was one of my favorite characters, actually. It's not her character's fault that everyone else is a moron. As far as my least favorite characters go, I'd say they're Keita, Airi, Yamato, then Daichi or Ronaldo, in more or less that order.

I loved her too, and my least favorite characters are basically your list. except Daichi is first because god drat he's annoying, not even what he does on the first day can redeem him.

At least Atsuro had a skill that wasn't whining all the time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just think of Fumi being condescending as compensation for the black hole of stupidity that was Yuzu.

^^^You take that back, Daichi is awesome.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cityinthesea posted:

I loved her too, and my least favorite characters are basically your list. except Daichi is first because god drat he's annoying, not even what he does on the first day can redeem him.

At least Atsuro had a skill that wasn't whining all the time.

Daichi is the only person in all of Japan who has a driver's license, as he will point out many, many times.

Also, however much I may like or hate Fumi? The Trumpeter scene is the most magnificent, albeit anime, thing in all of the Megami Ibunroku games. I think it might even beat out Mystery Food X for me.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Momomo posted:

I just think of Fumi being condescending as compensation for the black hole of stupidity that was Yuzu.

^^^You take that back, Daichi is awesome.

No way, you crazy, he's the worst. Maybe he gets better on his endings but I'm pretty sure I unlocked the Akashic Record ending on my last playthrough, though I opted to go with Al Saiduq and it really didn't seem that impressive. He basically lucked into that ending if I recall correctly.

Really though my favorites are Jungo, Joe, Otome and Io though Io's only good if you finish her fate scenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daichi is about the only character who actually acknowledges that everyone else is crazy and does his best to help out despite his most marketable skill being "has a drivers license." That puts him well about loving Keita at bare minimum.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Keita isn't really a character though, at least in terms of having a personality. Makes me miss Kaido, but I think the plot was better in DS1 overall. I went back to DS1 after playing DS2, and DS2 definitely lays on the anime HARD (I grew to hate that silly music track in DS2 so much), and DS1 definitely has better pacing. DS2 still plays way better, but yeah... hopefully they go back to something more serious in DS3 whenever that happens.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
What other character drives a truck off a cliff, into a super strong demon after seeing it blow up? No one, that's who.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Of course not, because he's the only one with a driver's license.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think we can all agree that Jungo is the best though.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

KataraniSword posted:

As Alteisen said, this is about the point where the game starts punishing you for not using Evil Wave. Evil Wave nerfs the hell out of Botis, and if you wipe out the Orcus that the boss is using, then it won't Guard any more when you attack it from range.

I hate evil wave and I had no realistic trouble during most of the game. The only mission that sucked was the very end but Jungo punched him enough to win.

v:shobon:v

Cake Attack posted:

I think we can all agree that Jungo is the best though.

Jungo #1

Edit: Since it's character chat, here are my general feelings:

Loved
Jungo - He's just...so funny and so passionate.
Joe- He strikes me as really interesting. He's goofy but not annoying, and his character storyline resolution made me genuinely smile.
Otome- Really sweet, fun story, and the ending a daughter who sings about demons D: was kinda wacky

Liked
Airi - Was interesting enough, kinda fun to talk with.
Daichi - For being really realistic. I could totally dig with him and being like "yeah this stuff is stupid I really don't want to be a part of this."
Ronaldo- I liked his storyline. He's kinda cool.

Okay/Neutral
Makoto
Io

Disliked
Hinako- Character was kind of fine BUT PUT SOME CLOTHES ON HOLY COW
Fumi- I get her character but they went way too far. All I could hear was "sperg sperg sperg sperg sperg sperg sperg sperg"
Yamato- I know why the game made him like he is so there could be a "bad guy" Law Ending but it's really annoying. I liked first few days Yamato.

Hated
Keita- ughhhhhhh

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 14, 2012

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Jungo #1, Jungo #2

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Jungo #1, Jungo #2

The cat edges out the human by a noticable margin.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Jungo, Jungo, and Fumi were my favorites.

Joe and Makoto are decent.

Keita and Yamato I didn't like at all.

Rest I'm pretty ambivalent on.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Overlord-Tier: Jungo( :3 ), Main Character (Physical)

Then it was a mix between |Nagoya Peeps| and Mako for favorites. In terms of "Physical MC is stomping down demons like they were whack-a-moles," the Nagoya folks and Mako just seemed like the best, character-wise, supporters or people that went along with it 'cuz.

It's just hard to ever really -not- go along with whatever Jungo wants. Either of them.

Ronaldo, though; man, gently caress that guy. Worse than any over-hyped stereotype of Yuzu that ever existed on any forum.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I think everyone can agree that the best and second best character are respectively Jungo and Jungo. Everyone else falls into the "not Jungo" tier.

quote:

Ronaldo, though; man, gently caress that guy. Worse than any over-hyped stereotype of Yuzu that ever existed on any forum.

I think Ronaldo was supposed to be a parody of those weird vigilante guys who dress up in latex super-hero costumes. He definitely has the right idea, though; I would've chosen his ending first if I wasn't intrigued by Al Saiduq's (which turned out to be nonsensical crap).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I would've chosen his ending first if I wasn't intrigued by Al Saiduq's (which turned out to be nonsensical crap).

I went with Saiduq first because I wanted to see how deep the rabbit hole went, if they'd go so far as to have a spontaneous Ode To Joy moment.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Everyone spend the $10 on Persona 3 Fes on the PSN so that they'll put Persona 4 on there and I can buy that and be one step closer to unhooking my PS2. :)

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I think Keita's supposed to be very self-conscious about his image as a lone-wolf - except that his whole "RAAAAAWWWWWWWR I AM POWERFUL GONNA KILL YOU KILL YOU KILL KILL KILL" is so distracting that you'd rather punch him in.

Not to mention the cutscenes hates Keita's guts. His first death video/battle appearence is "bounce off stairs like a ragdoll" if the player didn't step in.

Then he keeps on threatening Jungo and kill him when the first thing players see about Jungo is "he punched a bunch of demon tamers and they run away in fear!!!"

And then he tried to take on Mizar alone and failed miserably while keep talking about how strong he is :downs:

And Fate-event wise, all he does in a fate cutscene is punching down one measly nobody demon when nearly everyone else seems to have a fate cutscene involving them killing off the whole screen (Jungo saving Jungo, Daichi saving Hinako) or beating powerful demons into submission (Fumi hitting Trumpterer, Airi slapping Kama around), even if these are anime as hell.

It is hard to like a lone jerk wolf that drones on about being strong when everyone around him keep on outshining him in some fashion and have a impenetrable jerk-force field :colbert:

As for Ronaldo, he's an annoying immature brat to me. He seems to come up with the equality idea only because he want to spite Yamato in all possible way. Jeeeez, he somehow manage to put me off an route just by being a brat.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Everyone spend the $10 on Persona 3 Fes on the PSN so that they'll put Persona 4 on there and I can buy that and be one step closer to unhooking my PS2. :)

Funnily enough, I hooked up my Playstation 2 today to play a new game of Persona 4. Using a Playstation 2 feels so weird after having used a Playstation 3 for such a long time. I miss having a wireless controller!

But that's a good idea to buy P3FES, though, so I I will. Thanks for brining it to my attention, RichterIX. It would probably be smarter to sell my physical copy of 3FES to help fund the purchase but...having a case and the manual is so nifty. :negative:

Also, having started a game of Persona 4 after my last save file being two years ago, I want to reiterate the statement that it is one of the best games ever. I can't WAIT for the Vita version with all the extra fanservice add-ons where I'll be able to do things like vegetable garden with Nanako. And I am very excited for the people in this thread who are planning to buy it when it comes out and play for the first time!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Catalina posted:

And I am very excited for the people in this thread who are planning to buy it when it comes out and play for the first time!

Can't wait! It sure makes this thread fun when I'm trying to dodge around P4 spoilers, but it's cool I balance it out by reading all the Devil Survivor 2 ones.

I hope they announce it for Western release at E3 in June. I'd love to see it in the Fall. Come on Atlus!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CremePudding posted:

And Fate-event wise, all he does in a fate cutscene is punching down one measly nobody demon when nearly everyone else seems to have a fate cutscene involving them killing off the whole screen (Jungo saving Jungo, Daichi saving Hinako) or beating powerful demons into submission (Fumi hitting Trumpterer, Airi slapping Kama around), even if these are anime as hell.

It is hard to like a lone jerk wolf that drones on about being strong when everyone around him keep on outshining him in some fashion and have a impenetrable jerk-force field :colbert:

Keita's Fate cutscenes actually get better if Jungo dies, exploring exactly why he's a jerk lone wolf and trying to work him out of that.

He is better when Jungo is dead, which is the perfect reason to hate him that much more.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
I'd like this thread's opinion on something:

As someone who's first Persona game was Persona 4, would it be worthwhile getting a copy of Persona 3:FES?

I have Persona 3 Portable but it just hasn't hooked me the same way Persona 4 did. I don't know if it's the "virtual novel"-type presentation outside of battle or what (ie. the lack of character models/sprites and moving those characters around the map screens), but I played it until the Priestess Full Moon boss and haven't touched it in a couple of months.

I'm just a bit concerned how I will deal with not being able to control all my battle partners (eg. Marin-loving-Karin), although I tend to play my RPGs on 'Normal' Difficulty so that might mitigate some of my frustration.

So, do you guys think getting Persona 3:FES would be worthwhile?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

manny kaltz posted:

I have Persona 3 Portable but it just hasn't hooked me the same way Persona 4 did. I don't know if it's the "virtual novel"-type presentation outside of battle or what (ie. the lack of character models/sprites and moving those characters around the map screens), but I played it until the Priestess Full Moon boss and haven't touched it in a couple of months.

I don't know about the quality of FES compared to P4, but I can safely say that FES doesn't have the "virtual novel" presentation that P3P has.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Persona 4 is just a better game, it's odd how it works out but Persona 3 FES benefits from having more game bits... I just think there's a lot to be said about fast travel with the Square Button. Persona 4's cast is much better developed, at that. Were it possible, I'd recommend trying it for yourself before spending the money, because Persona 4 can really spoil you as far as how much it improves on Persona 3's core mechanics.

I'm not sure I could recommend 3 other than some scenes have more impact on console than they do on PSP.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 4 is a better game than P3 because it improves on the game's core mechanics. Going back to P3 is really difficult after P4 because it lacks complete team control, instant movement between areas, the double-team attacks that come from S. Links and a better 1-More turn system. Playing P3P is easy except for Tartarus but if the VN style's killing you that much then I'd probably recommend trying P3 FES since it's now 10 bucks on PSN (Or just buy the game on disc) if you can really put up with inferior game mechanics. I mean about the only thing P4 doesn't really improve upon is multiple physical attack types and really that's not something that adds that much to the game, if anything it made it feel more tedious like P2 having five physical attack types on top of its crappy battle system.

So yeah, probably just stick with P4 and watch some scenes of P3 on the internet or something like if you don't feel like playing P3P.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I think Persona 3 is cooler than Persona 4. Persona 4 really is better in spite of itself, lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

My first SMT game was Persona 4, and my second one was P3FES, and I personally recommend trying it. It's true that P3P loses a lot of the storytelling via the visual-novel presentation and I guess the animated cutscenes. I found that the female side of P3P was good because I had a memory in my head of how the models moved and such.

I say it's worth checking out! The annoyingness of the battle system is overstated, in my opinion. To me, it's like the worst aspects of battle are what people remember the most, and like to complain about together. Myself included. :v: Overall, the battle mechanics are pretty solid, even if you played the much-improved Persona 4 first. If worst comes to worst, you can set it to normal or even easy difficulty and blast through to play the story.

Also, while Persona 4 is an improvement on Persona 3 (and in my opinion the better game), Persona 3 is a *very* good game, with an entirely different feel and experience. I don't really get why some people seem to suggest that playing Persona 4 will ruin the Persona 3 playing experience. To me it's like a large pizza versus an extra large pizza. Both are fantastic.

VVVVV
No matter how ridiculous Persona 3 gets (see my avatar and title) and still takes itself seriously, I think it has an amazing strength in the way it creates a mood and an atmosphere. To me it's like, "as cool/deep as you can get while being a first-world teenager contemplating mortality".

Catalina fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Corrosion posted:

I think Persona 3 is cooler than Persona 4. Persona 4 really is better in spite of itself, lol.

Persona 4 is a more goofy and silly game. But I feel it's stronger for it.

The big thing is that Persona 3 is so... absurd yet takes itself completely seriously. 4 is more self aware about it.