Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Bioshuffle posted:

Can someone recommend a decent pizza pan/stone for around $40 or so? I'm shopping for a Christmas present for someone who loves pizza.

I know they make a lot of frozen pizza, would a stone/pan be beneficial for making those as well? Or is it generally for homemade pies?

I wouldn't expect a stone/steel to work well on frozen pies. The magic of it is that it stores a lot of heat and dumps it in the (fresh) pie quickly. Two problems with using frozen pies: 1) It takes a while to heat up - as many as 30-60 minutes preheating, and if you want a frozen pizza you don't necessarily want to wait an hour for your oven to preheat and 2) if it dumps a lot of heat very quickly into the bottom of a frozen pizza, the top might not be cooked all the way through if it started out frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah, I've tried the frozen pizza on a stone before (another brilliant "I just got home from the bar" idea) and it tends to come out worse than just putting it directly on the oven rack (or whatever the box recommends). Probably somewhat varies by the type/brand of pizza, but in general they're designed to get sufficiently crispy crust without the use of a stone, so when you add the stone you either end up burning the bottom before the top is finished, or turn the crust into a cracker.

But in terms of decent stone for $40, if you search for a "cordierite pizza stone" on Amazon (or wherever), those will probably be decent for that price. The thicker, the better, and I'd also recommend rectangular over circular as that will give you more surface area to work with for a given oven depth (little more room for error), but not a huge deal either way. Some prefer pizza steel instead of stone, but those tend to be more in the $70+ range (when bought retail as a pizza product at least).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah frozen pies are made to be done without a stone so that they're more accessible to people. You can use a stone but the cook time/temp needs to be modified a bit for it to work well.

For a stone rec, I use a cast iron tawa as my pizza stone and it owns bones

https://www.amazon.com/Victoria-GDL-182-Traditional-Budare-Griddle/dp/B07GKZZMSF?th=1

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Someone told me the secret to getting cheap iron, like cast iron pans and stuff...Estate Sales.
https://www.estatesales.net/
Dead people can cook, so why not.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

An aluminum pan works well from frozen. A baking steel if you can stretch for fresh. Otherwise just look for the most massive stone

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Not to necro this thread, but I ended up with $275 in gift cards for Christmas and was considering splurging to get an Ooni 12 outdoor propane pizza oven, which is about $400. However, they also have a 16 inch oven, but it runs $600. If I get the twelve, is this gonna be a false economy situation where I get pissed at myself for not shelling out an extra two hundred bucks and buying the bigger one?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't know much about the Oonies. However, I would make sure you can do a 12" or larger pizza. The 12 implies it can but what I saw on dimensions had one side at 11.5". Somebody else would have to do the confirm/deny on it.

Also consider that you might end up with some mutant pizza shapes that means your dough for a 12" ends up being 14" on it's longest side.

Counter points:
The 12 is lighter
The 12 heats up (a little) faster

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

If you can swing the extra cost, bigger is better. It's always better to have the option of making a bigger pizza if you want because you can always make smaller pizzas in a bigger oven. I don't think weight really matters because unless you're planning to tote your oven around, what difference does it make? As far as "mutant" pizzas are concerned, I would highly recommend making all your pizzas round for even cooking. Weird shaped pizzas really aren't a thing you should be making if you're trying to use the Ooni properly.

I have the Koda 16 and it's been super fun to play with. Do invest in a turning peel. We have the 16" peel for launching, but it's too big to be useful for turning so the turning peel works a treat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
See this is why I can't become a Pizza Guy. Too many accoutrements I don't have room for.

I'll keep making that deep dish cast iron garbage though.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bartlebee posted:

Not to necro this thread, but I ended up with $275 in gift cards for Christmas and was considering splurging to get an Ooni 12 outdoor propane pizza oven, which is about $400. However, they also have a 16 inch oven, but it runs $600. If I get the twelve, is this gonna be a false economy situation where I get pissed at myself for not shelling out an extra two hundred bucks and buying the bigger one?

One advantage of the 12 is it's more portable if you want to take it to a friends house or camping or whatever. If you never plan on taking it anywhere, might be worth going for the 16 if you can afford it. You'll probably want the ability to make larger pizzas at some point, and even when doing 12" pizzas, you'll have a lot more room to work with (and you get heat from 2 sides instead of just the rear). I just got a 12 for the portability, I'm still learning how to use it, but I can definitely see how the 16 would be easier to work with and more forgiving with loading and turning.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have a dough recipe recommendation? I am using a baking steel at 550 with convection. I am looking for something I can make really thin, I've used Trader Joe's dough and like it, so something that behaves similar to that would be great.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've yet to find anything better than Pizza Beddias' recipe combined with a 3 day ferment:

https://www.inquirer.com/food/craig-laban/philly-chefs-recipes-pizza-cookbooks-home-cooking-family-kitchen-laban-20200320.html

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I actually got my mittens on the Ooni Koda 12 dimensions and it looks like the interior is 13.25" so you could actually wedge a 12" pizza in there. That would be pretty typical for Neapolitan, but I still believe in the whole vibe that "everybody who gets into this starts making Neapolitans and none of their friends complain because it's pizza, but they all want something more like a New York style and that's what you end up making a lot after a year or two." So in that vein, pop a ruler down on the table if you have good old US imperial units and just ask yourself if you'd be happy serving a bunch of pizzas that wide.

Braksgirl posted:

As far as "mutant" pizzas are concerned, I would highly recommend making all your pizzas round for even cooking. Weird shaped pizzas really aren't a thing you should be making if you're trying to use the Ooni properly.
It was more about accidentally making goofball Jabba the Hutt (I guess it would be Pizza the Hutt) pizza shapes when you're starting out shaping pizzas.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
So in my forever search of finding my favorite pizza flour, I came across https://www.graincraft.com/products/neapolitan-italian-style-pizzeria-flour/ at the local restaurant supply store. It's ground finely like a 00, has a gluten content of somewhere around 12.5, and works pretty well. It is not nearly as chewy as King Arthur AP or Bread flour, but that's expected with the lower gluten content. I like that it comes in a smaller sack of 25 pounds, but the higher gluten flours I can find aren't really much higher. They had a Pizza flour blend, but that's about the same gluten anyway.

What I really like is the grind and the flavor. It has some great flavor like buying Italian 00 pizza flours and I'm really happy with it. Also, it was only $15 for 25#, so I'm not sure I'll find anything to beat it. I'm not sure if anyone else has a US Chefs store in your area, but I'd imagine they have good product coverage in the US. The only negative is you need to have a place to store 25# of flour.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've tried to get a higher gluten count. The Hot Shot for commercial NY pizza is apparently Pillsbury's All Trumps. It's in something like the 14-15% range. My local grocer said they could get me some, but I'd have to order a full pallet of it. I, uh, haven't ordered it.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

everybody who gets into this starts making Neapolitans and none of their friends complain because it's pizza, but they all want something more like a New York style

This is exactly what happened to me last week when I fired up the Koda 16 I got for Christmas. Going to end up making Neapolitans for me and New Yorks for my wife and kids, probably

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

This is exactly what happened to me last week when I fired up the Koda 16 I got for Christmas. Going to end up making Neapolitans for me and New Yorks for my wife and kids, probably

On one hand, they're missing out. On the other hand, I don't always want to eat my pizza with a knife and fork. So many different styles of pizza, only so many days in a week.

I have tried amending with wheat gluten in other flours, and it works fine too. But if it doesn't taste good to start, it's not going to make amazing pizza.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wife got me Modernist Pizza for Christmas. The price tag is absurd but, they are really nice books. Looking to step up my dough game first.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've tried to get a higher gluten count. The Hot Shot for commercial NY pizza is apparently Pillsbury's All Trumps. It's in something like the 14-15% range. My local grocer said they could get me some, but I'd have to order a full pallet of it. I, uh, haven't ordered it.

You can get All Trumps and Sir Lancelot on Amazon with free shipping. It's still way more expensive than a local supplier, though. You might find a sympathetic pizza shop or baker who will order an extra sack for you. Also Costco sometimes has Sir Lancelot, I think.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I get 50 pound bags of sir Lancelot from bakers authority.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
WebRestaurantStore has them too. With shipping it's similar in cost to Amazon, but if you have other supplies you need to order it could end up a significantly better deal (as the base price is much cheaper, while Amazon bakes the price of shipping into their base price).

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

dalstrs posted:

Does anyone have a dough recipe recommendation? I am using a baking steel at 550 with convection. I am looking for something I can make really thin, I've used Trader Joe's dough and like it, so something that behaves similar to that would be great.

Here's my 62% Lehmann-style dough:

1148g flour
697 water
3g yeast
24g salt
50g oil
(Optional 2g garlic powder)

Makes 5x ~380g skins / 14" crusts

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's the actual total dough weight for a detroit pie. I see like 200g variance

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It’s cold and dark and miserable here and I miss cooking pizzas outside… :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

bolind posted:

It’s cold and dark and miserable here and I miss cooking pizzas outside… :(

I just dealt with it last week. As long as it isn’t windy, my blackstone works great!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

nwin posted:

I get 50 pound bags of sir Lancelot from bakers authority.

Alright I caved and bought a sack of All-Trumps from them. I apparently ordered the Yoshon and they called me to tell me the grain was technically a little too new. No problem, but I am going to feel very New York when this sack shows up.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I had to go and look this up and apparently it is a thing that they sell specifically yoshon flour. Wild.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

First attempt at new dough: missed the yeast by an order of magnitude. Try again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got some King Arthur 00 to try today. Anything I should know versus bread flour? Should I change hydration?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah same here, they started carrying 00 at my Publix for whatever reason and I haven't tried using it in many years since I had to get it at specialty stores before

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
So glad the days are getting longer, been brutal going dark so early. One of our awesome pizza makers came up with this pizza yesterday -
The Rainbow Road Pie
Roasted cherry tomatoes, flowering kale, bell peppers, basil, mozzarella, ricotta dollops. Beautiful pizza and super tasty.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Ricotta Dollops is my pizza-gaze band name.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got some King Arthur 00 to try today. Anything I should know versus bread flour? Should I change hydration?

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah same here, they started carrying 00 at my Publix for whatever reason and I haven't tried using it in many years since I had to get it at specialty stores before

Type 00 is more specifically a fineness of a [flour and the separation of the germ, not grist in itself] than an actual statement about something being suitable for pizza (and pasta). The bag might bring up it's meant for pizza and you can probably trust that. I have specifically run into this technicality with Barton Spring Mills because their whiteish flour is technically a type 00 but some of it makes completely unacceptable pizza. I figured this out when I think I got a mislabeled batch of the Sonora. That flour makes fantastic Sonoran tortillas (who would have thought with that name) but the pizzas are kind of like flat, unleavened crackers.

Something I discovered recently about this: Caputo has a home type 00 meant for home ovens and then a pizzeria brand for higher temperatures. I tend not to run into Caputo; I seem to always find Anna Napoletana which advertising robustness at higher temperatures. I can't be sure just casually searching about this what the difference is but I'm going to bet on malting of the grain and sugars. You'll get different browning/leoparding/blisters based on what kind of sugars are mixed in with the carbs. It oddly came up while looking at the All-Trumps. I guess it's heavily engineered for that 600F temperature of NY pizza.

I personally find a type 00 flour made specifically for pizza hydrates very well and very quickly; I keep a sack on standby in case I have a strong same-day urge to make some pizza. I can skip on all of the cold-ferment, biga, poolish, blablabla time-consuming rituals and get a pizza that will pull well. You can make arguments about flavor, but the dough itself will be homogenous and I won't feel thicker and thinner spots in it when trying to form a pizza. I don't think you would change the amount of water you use unless you're getting some hippy type 00 like the aforementioned Barton Springs Mill. In that case, you're adding water to fight the ash content, and nothing to do with the grist itself.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 16, 2022

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Any opinions on using 10-25% semolina in a recipe?

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 16, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lurker2006 posted:

Any opinions on using 10-25% semolina in a recipe?

I only dabbled with it a little and didn't really get much out of it. I saw it a lot for reasons that really sounded like just adding gluten, so I skipped the middleman and just added gluten.

I think the really coarse semolina is going to generally be a bad idea but I personally never experimented with it in dough. I've only ever used Bob's Red Mill semolina particularly when doing this and that is a particularly consistent, semi-fine semolina. I see all kinds of grain sizes when it comes to semolina (I guess kind of like the spectrum for corn meal) so I thought it was worth pointing out. I would use the coarse stuff for getting some texture in pasta or for ma'mouls so I'm not saying it's bad flour at all.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Made a couple of pizzas tonight using Modernist's basic NY style dough. It's a huge step up from my old whatever recipe, but I still had to pull out the rolling pin after failing at hand stretching. Again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What was the problem with hand stretching?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used the King Arthur 00 Pizza flour this weekend and the dough was fantastic imo. I went with 65% hydration and the dough ended up being so smooth and supple it was a joy to stretch. I don’t think I’ve ever had an easier time stretching dough. Really nice oven spring on the crust. Ordered more.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Historically my hand stretching problems are likely due to my old recipe being bad. This time around it was probably inexperience combined with the dough sitting out a little too long.

Modernist's recipe is 66% hydration and I used Anna Napoletana 00. We really liked it, I just gotta practice.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just figured out how frozen pizzas are made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gegQirTu8