Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

I want jersey / pants / fitted cap rig out with these in scaled up all-over print.

I used to leave a canvas open in university that I would draw side view weapons and other inventory items into whenever I was bored. I should do that again, it's oddly relaxing and satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looking for some input on this palette. Bear in mind that I am aiming for a low saturation 'rain soaked' look but I'm open to pop colours. I'm spotting regions that have very analogous values which could be an opportunity to delete swatches or swap them with different colours.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
if EGA is good enough for Mark Ferrari it's good enough for you

For real, if he can take this:

And make this:

You don't need 32-bit color to make stick-legged guys

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 31, 2016

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
holy poo poo EGA is similar to the spectrum palette, now that I think of it. This is fine.

What's not fine: attribute clash. Moo

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Segmentation Fault posted:

if EGA is good enough for Mark Ferrari it's good enough for you
Mark Ferrari is a goddamn pixel wizard and if you haven't been following his latest work in Thimbleweed Park you're missing out: https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/

An interesting thing about his process is he always draws the whole picture in monochrome and only applies color last:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'm making some video game enemies. This is the security cluster, a recurring miniboss you have to defeat to get through restricted areas.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

SupSuper posted:

Mark Ferrari is a goddamn pixel wizard and if you haven't been following his latest work in Thimbleweed Park you're missing out: https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/

An interesting thing about his process is he always draws the whole picture in monochrome and only applies color last:

A lot of digital painters do things that way to nail the contrast down off the bat. It also lets you keep the entire layout and values set while you try out different color palletes on a new layer.

Edit: I can't spell.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Hey guys, I need some help.

I finished this Samus drawing a while ago:

and being the ambitious guy that I am, I want to do an animation of her running. the thing is that I try to do like a rudimentary stickfigure-skeleton running cycle in the same position and everything i try to animate loving sucks. I can't make the limbs stay the same lengths, or look right in general.

Bottom line is: I suck at making stickfigure animation and i wonder how do you guys do it? Do you use those stick-figure programs, or is it something that come with more experience?

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

are you referencing run cycles or anything or just going at it

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

At first I was just going at it, then I looked at references and it made me wonder why when i try to animate the joints they never look correct.

I don't want to copy and trace a run cycle. I want to draw a skeleton and build around it, kinda like how Crimson Ash makes his a page ago.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Solar Tornado posted:

Bottom line is: I suck at making stickfigure animation and i wonder how do you guys do it? Do you use those stick-figure programs, or is it something that come with more experience?

Animation is hard. You could use one of those programs, like Pivot or whatever, but that won't solve your issues. There's stuff to keep track of, like foreshortening (if something is pointing at or outwards from the camera, it gets 'shorter'; when you point your elbow at the camera, your forearm is 'long' in the image, but your upper arm is basically just a circle!), body rotation (your hips actually get 'thinner' in the image as you rotate your hips!), the subtler movements of the joints (conveying the movement of smaller joints like rotating a fist, you can do that with just a blob changing shapes slightly!). All those things will be quite hard to learn from something like Pivot. It's possible, it's just not going to make it easy for you.

Starting out with stickfigures is great. However there's no silver bullet besides grabbing a bunch of different movement reference images, and then practicing.

Not the same thing with the same reference constantly though, make it interesting. Grab a reference image (or make one using photos of yourself) doing things like picking up a mug, throwing up a thumbs up, juggling, or whatever. Once you've done a couple of these, try one more action, then add a return to an idle state to the same animation, then add one more action onto the same animation. Like someone picking up a cup, returning to idle, then giving a thumbs up. If you've got an animation that does those three things and you think it looks decent, you can basically start tackling anything with enough time spent on it refining.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

you may not wanna copy a walk cycle off google images but you gotta start somewhere and seeing why those work in motion can help you figure out what you are doing wrong, and drawing them yourself rather than using something like pivot will help you understand what is going one with the body, not working in pixels right off the bat will also help with that, and you gotta practice forever

and just for fun, if you are using the exact posing from that drawing to try and animate, the legs will stretch and shrink awkwardly because the front leg is noticeably longer than the back leg

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Working on sprites for a mini-project.

:3:

(Still not happy with the bottom of the hooded dress yet. Or all the hood...)

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

I'm done with the running cycle and GOD drat that was hard. I looked at a reference image, and although it wasn't what i originally wanted, it was a big learning experience.

I originally made 10 frames but near the end found out that working with 10 frames is hell and jumped back to 6 (I'll put it under a spolier because running cycles make my head spin now).

It required a lot of change to the original drawing, but it was really fun in the end to see it through. And I have you guys to thank :cheers:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Saw some of the advice in this thread, and have been taking some courses and going through some life drawing books and things are starting to make sense. I'd like to start venturing into drawing from my imagination so I don't get burnt out on practice, but I'm having trouble ever starting or thinking of things to draw. Usually it's out of knowledge that what I'm going to make will suck. How do you guys get past fear of a blank canvas, and push through to find something you want to draw?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

InevitableCheese posted:

Saw some of the advice in this thread, and have been taking some courses and going through some life drawing books and things are starting to make sense. I'd like to start venturing into drawing from my imagination so I don't get burnt out on practice, but I'm having trouble ever starting or thinking of things to draw. Usually it's out of knowledge that what I'm going to make will suck. How do you guys get past fear of a blank canvas, and push through to find something you want to draw?

The trick is to start with a bunch of thumbnails on paper so that when you begin your pixel art, you already have the basic form figured out and that blank canvas seems less "blank". These should be small and quick, at least 25 to a page and with the bare minimum of detail required to get the idea across. Use this opportunity to explore proportions, poses and composition without getting bogged down in details. Don't worry about accuracy or even legibility at this stage, so long as you can make sense of your scribbles. Once you have an idea you like draw a few more variations, pick the one you like best and start translating it to your pixel canvas.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
Embrace crap. Go in knowing you'll draw something stupid ugly and broken... You'll find something in that that sparks something ... Then you can work from there

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Been working on a mockup this week seeing as my project ground to a halt and I haven't been sleeping. The mock up involves cute witches

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Finally finishing this (I think)...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Old Man Mozz posted:

Embrace crap. Go in knowing you'll draw something stupid ugly and broken... You'll find something in that that sparks something ... Then you can work from there

There's the old Hemingway quote that comes to mind: "The first draft is always crap." This applies equally as well in doing any kind of art. For every good drawing I've ever produced, there's about ten or twenty failed prototypes lurking somewhere in my sketchbook that eventually lead to a good one.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I finished this stupid bloody mockup. It's FINISHED

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Shoehead posted:

Oh I really like how this turned out

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

Shoehead posted:

This is awesome! I can picture how this would animate too :)

Also, doing some tutorial bits and bobs:

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
https://twitter.com/cardamajigs/status/775679160698175488/video/1
https://twitter.com/cardamajigs/status/775373998263676929/video/1

wooo! previews of the cards are coming in :D

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dammit I want to make reticulated prints!

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Scut posted:

Dammit I want to make reticulated prints!

one day someone will launch a better service for them - we are having to get a printer from china to print the cards and they have to be in HUGE orders

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They would make the coolest Business cards if you didn't have to buy so many.

Also I've already totally redone that sprite in the mockup. Please save me from myself :negative:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Shoehead posted:

They would make the coolest Business cards if you didn't have to buy so many.

Also I've already totally redone that sprite in the mockup. Please save me from myself :negative:

What's the minimum, generally?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Joined Patreon of my favorite pixel artist. I wondered what amazing insights into drawing and pixeling I would find. Turns out it's a rough sketch on notebook paper that he take a pictures of on his phone, which he then imports into *Photoshop 6.0* and goes back over in pixels. This has inspired me so much to just start drawing random shite and convert them to pixel art.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

InevitableCheese posted:

Joined Patreon of my favorite pixel artist. I wondered what amazing insights into drawing and pixeling I would find. Turns out it's a rough sketch on notebook paper that he take a pictures of on his phone, which he then imports into *Photoshop 6.0* and goes back over in pixels. This has inspired me so much to just start drawing random shite and convert them to pixel art.

yeah that sounds about right - im suprised im not still using ms paint some days :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

InevitableCheese posted:

For the longest time I thought everything pre-32 bit era was done by hand, mouse and keyboard pixel to pixel with no reference but really it's a mixture. Capcom had detailed drawings of their characters and animations on paper, SNK traces over 3D models, and adventure games digitize photos.

Hardcore pixel artists make an argument for purity but commercial developers since the dawn of video games have worked with technology, not against it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
What kind of good tools are available for tracing pixels over a higher resolution image?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Tendales posted:

What kind of good tools are available for tracing pixels over a higher resolution image?

I just toss a high rez picture onto a low rez canvas in Photoshop and go from there. If the picture is too blurry then it's probably too condensed of a piece for the resolution you want.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
You want to check out Paint of Persia

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Scut posted:

You want to check out Paint of Persia

That is basically exactly what I was picturing in my head, thanks!

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

al-azad posted:

For the longest time I thought everything pre-32 bit era was done by hand, mouse and keyboard pixel to pixel with no reference but really it's a mixture. Capcom had detailed drawings of their characters and animations on paper, SNK traces over 3D models, and adventure games digitize photos.

Hardcore pixel artists make an argument for purity but commercial developers since the dawn of video games have worked with technology, not against it.

Any idea what SNK did for KOF 13? it looks particularly banded and pillowy and bad but people on the internet have told me, a lot of pixels on the screen = good and i'm crazy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

zolthorg posted:

Any idea what SNK did for KOF 13? it looks particularly banded and pillowy and bad but people on the internet have told me, a lot of pixels on the screen = good and i'm crazy

quote:

PSB: These hi-res 2D sprites look really beautiful in motion. How was the process to bring these graphics to life?
Yamamoto: What we did was first create 3D models of each character. We posed them, added lighting, and then outputted them as 2D frames. From there, we moved on to post-processing, where we added details such as hand-drawn (dot-pixel) illustration-like expressions and shadows. We think it’s a very unique process for creating 2D sprites.

King of Fighters 13 messes up with realistic lighting as you said. There's a gradient to the shades and everything is smoothly blended. It really does look like what I imagine hi-res Donkey Kong Country sprites would look.

It does stand in stark contrast to Guilty Gear Xrd which is full 3D models but the characters are flat shaded with limited depth so it looks like they're cel animations on a 2D plane.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm not a KOF fan but I think 12 and 13 use the same assets. There's a neat little article about the creation of KOF 12's sprites here http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/creation/index.php

Maybe there's some aspect of the term "pillow shading" I'm missing, but I wouldn't call it that at all. It's not strictly realistic because it's still sort of anime-stylized, but those sprites are drawn with a kind of consistent "stage lighting" that absolutely pays respect to the direction of the light source and the form of the character being lit. There are hard cast shadows as well as form shadow gradients, each where they make sense, and frankly looking over a lot of these sprites the light isn't much different from how I would approach them in a painting.

Personally I think they look pretty amazing, and it's not just because they're big.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 14, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's the shadow gradients and details that ruin the effect for me. I'm not denying the quality of the work, but the illusion they've created is something I'd expect from a 3D render of an object. I just find it ironic that they spend so much time detailing these 2D sprites that they end up looking like CGI whereas Guilty Gear is 3D but the flat lighting looks like cel animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Its actually both pillowy and the polar opposite. i should clarify...

it looks like theyve taken all of the weaknesses of the original amazing sprites and extrapolated all of the weaknesses out to a larger size.

They're taking a colour / value gradient for one part of the sprite, like the tshirt material, or the pants, etc, and using contrast tricks that are normally reserved for small pixel clusters / small sprite resolutions. When you put a colour cluster of the highest/second highest value directly next to a pixel cluster of the darkest value of that ramp / second darkest aside from an outline cluster without using any anti-aliasing they make an area of strong contrast which makes a strong line. on a smaller sprite this squeezes a nice confident dark area of shadow or highlight into a small cluster that needs it, on a larger sprite it looks like a sharp divide without anti-aliasing the two zones

the banding/pillowing issue on stuff like legs and arms and areas where they're trying to imply realistic shading also comes from their smaller sprites. on a smaller sprite if you want to put a smooth gradient into a small object like a leg to make it look 'cyllindrical' the snk sprites have a full color gradient stuffed into every 'line' of legs that they can fit, it still looks banded but that's more of a stylistic choice. when they made the larger sprites, they took these, say, 20x5 pixel rectangle zones and made them 100x25 pixels, and instead of using the extra allowed complexity / resolution of the larger 50 pixel wide zone, they've done pixel clusters where they take the same amount of colours in a colour index and paint five perfectly evenly spaced 5 pixel wide bars. that's banding at a high resolution. even if you were trying to shade a cyllinder you'd need absurdly specific lighting conditions to light a sprite of a cyllinder with evenly spaced equally sized clusters of pixels

i think its worth noting that the same issues bug me in a lot of snk's older sprites as well, but i can chalk those up to a stylistic preference and the smaller resolution forces the clustering choices to be more impactful, its really the large resolution of the sprites and not utilizing that extra resolution that irks me. I also acknowledge the sheer monetary investment a closer detail pass / extra antialiasing / making each cluster represent more complex volumes or subtler details would have cost snk. It may not have been the best laid plan for a series that usually has absurd amounts of unique characters in a single game

e: im way too rusty on actual academic approach to pixart so im sorry for not having screenshots or talking about how areas of light on the characters will have a 4-5 colour index palette and areas of shadow will be flat shaded with a single background 'outline colour'.
really just sorry for whinging about kof sprites in general, keep posting

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 14, 2016