Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

At the end of my first lesson (June 10ish, 2005), my CFI decided to have some fun on final to show that "lessons aren't always as boring as this", adding power, pitching the nose up, then pitching back down quickly. We both laughed, but during the debrief, I noticed dizziness which intensified as I was watching my homework at the hotel (a Patty Wagstaff-hosted DVD on runway safety). It was an ear infection which had flared back up. That, combined with a vacation planned before training was even considered, kept me on the ground until mid-July. With weather (we lost like five days in a row due to IFR) and a couple review flights, I got to Lesson 13, which was the first solo, on August 9th, 2005. We pushed to Lesson 17 or so before I had to go home for my Senior year of high school about 10 days later.

I flew several times in the Fall of '05, but didn't get much done in the Winter or early Spring, so I was finishing up the last few lessons in the Summer of '06. The August 9th, 2006 date was actually a twist of fate- I made the first attempt a week or so before (the check instructor at the school had like four in a row, so we were tight on time and wouldn't have been able to finish anyway) and busted because I did right traffic at a left traffic airport like a dumbass. :downsbravo: (I later realized why and can make an effortpost on it if anybody wants some deep-thinking aviation learnin' :eng101:)

The Unsat triggered a mandatory review flight with my instructor, which amounted to "I know you know how to fly a traffic pattern and am not worried about the re-do, but we kinda have to do it, so let's do it to say we did it and review other stuff if you want while we're there.". Fortunately, we'd knocked out all the XC and diversion stuff, as well as unusual attitudes and maybe steep turns or something on the first try and only had two landings (including a forward slip and go around, during which he flew the pattern for me once he knew I'd gotten the pattern handedness correct and set me up by putting me on final, saying "Forward Slip...Go Around...Ok, let's get out of here") and a little bit of air work left to do, so the completion of the checkride was a cake walk and was one year to the day of the first solo.

I managed to gently caress up my first checkride for the recreational pilot permit too... hosed a short-field landing hardcore, it was probably the worst landing I'd done in any part of my training. Had to do a partial re-test on that skill, which I nailed, but it still stung the pride a bit.

I also screwed up a traffic pattern once during a solo XC during training -- ASK me why you should write down crossing altitudes and circuit altitudes even if you should be able to add increments of 500 feet in your head...

I would be curious to hear why you did right traffic at a left traffic airport, though. I assume just a simple mistake, but I wouldn't mind knowing if it's something more than that -- I prefer learning from other people's mistakes compared to my own, all things being equal :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

I managed to gently caress up my first checkride for the recreational pilot permit too... hosed a short-field landing hardcore, it was probably the worst landing I'd done in any part of my training. Had to do a partial re-test on that skill, which I nailed, but it still stung the pride a bit.

I also screwed up a traffic pattern once during a solo XC during training -- ASK me why you should write down crossing altitudes and circuit altitudes even if you should be able to add increments of 500 feet in your head...

I would be curious to hear why you did right traffic at a left traffic airport, though. I assume just a simple mistake, but I wouldn't mind knowing if it's something more than that -- I prefer learning from other people's mistakes compared to my own, all things being equal :v:

When we did Lesson 25 (the dress rehearsal for the actual checkride), we departed DAY to the East with Zanesville the destination (picked deliberately by my CFI as a nod to my hometown). My CFI knew the diversion tended to happen in the Springfield area and it was strongly suggested to me I pick Urbana as the diversion airport.

http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=40.132&lon=-83.754&zoom=10

On 25, the winds favored Runway 2 which, when completed with Left traffic, put me to the West of the airport. In the chaos of "you've done this 100 times", "don't gently caress it up" and "this is your checkride" in my mind on the actual checkride, I knew I was on the West side of the airport when we'd flown in there before and thought I was doing fine.

Problem was they were using 20 that day. I flew up the West side of the airport and did the best Right traffic pattern you'll ever see at a Left traffic airport. The check instructor said "I mean, that was pretty good, but I can't count it.". (On the re-do, he and I had a laugh about it, with him quipping "That was a nice left traffic pattern."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I think my biggest oh gently caress in the plane moment was when I realized I completely misread the GFAS and had to outrun a thunderstorm back into Ottawa in a katana.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think my biggest oh gently caress in the plane moment was when I realized I completely misread the GFAS and had to outrun a thunderstorm back into Ottawa in a katana.

See? I bet you'll be double-checking from now on :v:

Every possibly-fatal fuckup is a learning opportunity!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

Problem was they were using 20 that day.

Odd question ... Who is 'they'? Tower?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

See? I bet you'll be double-checking from now on :v:

Every possibly-fatal fuckup is a learning opportunity!

I also learned to keep clean underwear in my flight bag!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I also learned to keep clean underwear in my flight bag!

On a (I hope) more serious note, I do advise taking a roll of TP on any manner of long XC or even road trip. Better to have and not need...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tide posted:

Odd question ... Who is 'they'? Tower?

Nobody and nothing, actually, other than the winds favored 20. Not sure why I said "they" to refer to that, though. Maybe it's like South Park.

"They killed Kenny!"

"Who's 'they'?!?"

"...you know, 'they'..."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Nobody and nothing, actually, other than the winds favored 20. Not sure why I said "they" to refer to that, though. Maybe it's like South Park.

"They killed Kenny!"

"Who's 'they'?!?"

"...you know, 'they'..."

Did you do your training out of a towered airport? I did mine out of one of the busiest GA airport in Canada, towered of course, and while apparently a lot of people find that chaotic, I'd take it any day over an uncontrolled airport. The worst thing that happens is you gently caress up and they tell you what to do in a Very Stern Voice, instead of being left to your own devices to gently caress up in any number of ways (EDIT: and deal with other people who might also be loving up at the same time)! :v:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

PT6A posted:

Did you do your training out of a towered airport? I did mine out of one of the busiest GA airport in Canada, towered of course, and while apparently a lot of people find that chaotic, I'd take it any day over an uncontrolled airport. The worst thing that happens is you gently caress up and they tell you what to do in a Very Stern Voice, instead of being left to your own devices to gently caress up in any number of ways (EDIT: and deal with other people who might also be loving up at the same time)! :v:

What, it's fun at uncontrolled airports! Nothing beats being on a right downwind for runway 1 while someone is on an unannounced 45 for left downwind to runway 19. Happily we saw each other before bad things happened, and he somehow ended up right on my tail on the right downwind (a 225?) with my unhappy CFI telling me unprofessional things like "I'll give you a dollar if you can keep the aircraft slow enough on final to make him go around."

This was the same training flight where we doing touch-and-goes at the local controlled airport when we had to do a 90 turn 300 feet off the runway because another aircraft practicing IFR approaches stopped responding to the tower (instructor probably turned down the radio or they fumbled to switch from approach to tower) and we were head-to-head with them. They got the Very Stern Voice when they got back on frequency.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

When I was near the end of my pilot training, doing some solo work to prepare for my examination, I was coming back to my towered airport and I got to witness a controller screw up sequencing (which I later found out was because he too was training):

The controller put me on an extended downwind while a commercial jet was departing the runway. A big military C-17 was inbound for landing as well. During my downwind I informed the controller that I was in no rush and had plenty of fuel so I was willing to make turns and wait for the traffic. He said something to the effect of "no its fine, clear to land 28 just hurry". So I turned from downwind directly towards the numbers (no base) to land as quickly as possible. Since I was a student pilot I didn't want to do anything nonstandard like try to approach at a higher airspeed than typical and dump speed with a slip because I figured I would screw something up, so I just puttered in at my standard 78 knot approach speed. I had a great landing. The C17 had to go around. He was not happy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

I trained at Dayton International (KDAY) for Private and the first part of Instrument. We even had heavies to deal with in 2005, as Express.net was using the old Emery sort building and had A300s in and out mostly at night, but occasionally during the day. One of their F/Es sat reserve at the Fairfield Inn I called home.

I finished Instrument at Dayton-Wright Brothers (KMGY), which is non-towered. Working CTAF is fine for the most part except when you get things like:

fordan posted:

What, it's fun at uncontrolled airports! Nothing beats being on a right downwind for runway 1 while someone is on an unannounced 45 for left downwind to runway 19. Happily we saw each other before bad things happened, and he somehow ended up right on my tail on the right downwind (a 225?) with my unhappy CFI telling me unprofessional things like "I'll give you a dollar if you can keep the aircraft slow enough on final to make him go around."

I was in the pattern at MGY on a rare sunny December Saturday when a Private student with limited working knowledge of English chopped me off on base. I was ahead of him and doing the same pattern I'd always done ("Turning Base to 20 as you reach the fountain for the apartment complex is a pretty safe bet, that's what we tell people") and, about 10 seconds after calling Base, he called Base for 20. So, I look to my left, and there he is, a safe distance away but far enough out that if I turned final, we'd probably both get dead, so I do a go around from Base and join the Upwind, hoping to Christ he doesn't run out of talent again in the process and leaving him lots of room in case he does a touch and go.

MGY also has a displaced threshold on 20, reducing the landing distance significantly, so any jets needing lots of room have to use 2 regardless of wind conditions. I had this happen on a Saturday in June (gently caress Saturday Flying, in case you couldn't tell): an auto parts factory had closed and a charter company was using Shorts 360s and Falcons to move the parts to Tennessee. Sure enough, on short final, I see this hot dog in a Falcon turn about a 2 mile final, so I get my SP slowed up and off the runway on B, because if I had to roll to C, I'd have needed new underwear.

(e- Because I like visual things: A wraps all the way around the airport, B is the middle taxiway, C is the stubby one toward the bottom.)

One of our instructors gave the Very Stern Voice in the pattern one day to a Piper from the WPAFB Aero Club and drat near went over to kick somebody's rear end over whatever they did.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 10, 2016

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Goddamn these ATP questions are a grind...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Are they at least somewhat relevant now?

I did the "old" ATP written back in 2013, and remember there being several instrument approach charts labeled "effective upon opening of the new Denver airport" (which was in 1994), along with a bunch of completely useless math problems.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Some are, some aren't... There's still 10th generation photocopy approach plates from the 80s that that I remember from 2 years ago on my first go-round. Have not yet encountered "the new ICAO compliant airspace system" though. :lol:

No more 135 version or airplane choice. Only one test for the multi and one for single.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 12, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
http://sheppardair.com/atp.htm

I have no idea what 2 3/4 ANU was but I know that was the answer! Got a 94 with about a days worth of cramming.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
First cross country solo. Didn't get lost. Got this poo poo in the bag.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

First cross country solo. Didn't get lost. Got this poo poo in the bag.

I think I said it here before but I got "lost" once on a solo. Ended up drawing lines on my map using the VORs. I say "lost" because I had a general idea where I was and was just a bit more east than I expected. Where I live I saddle class B airspace so I always need to be careful about my location. All in all it was kind of a nice experience to have as a student pilot with no instructor as it made me a bit more level headed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Lost" is less a binary state and more of a question of just how certain you are of your position, of course, especially when you're navigating without any kind of navaids or GPS.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
My first cross country I got lost, so I started circling over an airport while I figured out where I am. 5-10 minutes later, it turned out I was exactly where I was supposed to be; the airport under me was indeed the one I had chosen as my checkpoint for that leg, but the tick mark I drew on the chart had obliterated one of the runways, thus turning what I could see on the chart into a mismatch wrt. what I could see outside.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

My first solo cross country was when my local football team was playing their first home game, so I had to dodge CF-18s doing a fly by. It was awesome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

My first solo XC was DAY-OSU-Delaware, OH-DAY. I got slightly lost on the last segment, but asked for best heading back to DAY, in part because Dayton has two sets of Southwest-facing parallel runways (Wright-Patterson AFB 23L/R & Dayton International 24L/R). Had I aimed for the wrong one, I probably would've picked up on it through pilotage before I got there, but I'd been screamed at on the previous lesson (a Stage Check) by the instructor because I'd confused the two and had no interest in replicating that.

The biggest soiled pants moment in my flying career came after that XC. I forgot to close my flight plan and, upon returning to the flight school about 30 minutes later, saw a big plume of black smoke in the distance. I thought to myself "I hope that's not a plane cras---" and felt really stupid all of a sudden. After hauling rear end to the phone inside the school, I got Very Stern Voice from Flight Service.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My biggest soiled pants was during training, practicing full stops in the pattern. It was pretty busy with weekend traffic and the tower was getting frustrated with some people. I'm not exactly sure what happened now that I think about it, but somebody was coming in for a landing but wasn't responding to the tower, after I had already been cleared for take-off. Tower told him to change course but he didn't, but luckily decided that he couldn't make the landing and decided to go around.

He passed over the top of me going straight and level, less than 100 feet away, as I was climbing. When I was cleared to land I told the tower that was my last time around and his tone of voice had a very "yeah I don't blame you" undertone.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

CBJSprague24 posted:

After hauling rear end to the phone inside the school, I got Very Stern Voice from Flight Service.

I went to a seminar recently where they noted if you sign up on https://www.1800wxbrief.com/ you can now get an "easy close" flight plan where they text you and you can close it right on the spot from your mobile. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would be really convenient.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Lockmart can't seem to decide how to integrate with mobile flight planners, but if they're offering text options then I'm pretty impressed.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just found out my half-brother is the Navy Captain (O-6) in charge of Pilot Slots............

*starts dreaming of some serious top gun poo poo*

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Ok, here's a question for all the instrument people/CFIIs. So, I got my instrument rating back in like 2009 and the aircraft I was flying definitely did NOT have GPS (I had to do a partial panel NDB on my check ride btw). Now, I'm no longer current and I'm looking to do my IPC soon so I've been studying up on all things GPS since the aircraft we have in the club has a sexy, sexy GNS 530. Now, most RNAV GPS approaches have a hold at the IF/IAF with 4nm legs. What happened to 1 minute!? UGH. So, what's the best way to make sure you stay in the protected part of the hold (say in a piper or cessna at like 105 knots) from say a teardrop entry? Obviously, if you fly for 4nm from the fix before turning inbound, you risk getting outside of that. So, is the best practice to just use time on the outbound of the teardrop? If you fly for 1 minute, that's about 1.75nm (at 105) which keeps you in the protected area I guess but if you wanted to fly for EXACTLY 4nm on the outbound leg, do you just have to convert nautical miles/hour to nm/sec and then just check it with your GPS DME from the fix on the inbound leg? I am also fully aware that the AIM says the the 4nm (or whatever is published) is the MAXIUM distance under protection so you're free to go under. Idk, how do everyone else do it? Also, NO AUTOPILOT...smartasses.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The best way is to approach the IAF more than 90° from the final approach course, and not fly the hold at all.

:smuggo:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The GPS will tell you how long your leg is from the fix. Or just do 1min legs and you'll stay in the protected area because you're not doing 240kts.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You're required to fly it as depicted. You shouldn't turn in early.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
IIRC, holding entries are all based on time, so a teardrop or parallel entry would involve a 60 second outbound leg before turning back in, even if the associated holding pattern uses legs defined by distance.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Have my first non-cfi job interview with a 135 charter operator next week. :toot:

One year contracts and pay is about on par with what I'm making as a CFI, will be a nice bridge to 1500 if I get it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Flew this bird a few days ago from ILN to SEA. Flies pretty good but has an annoying quirk. Condensation builds up in the cockpit in between the circuit breakers and the windows, which weeps and drips down all over your paperwork. Otherwise, nice plane.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Animal posted:

Flew this bird a few days ago from ILN to SEA. Flies pretty good but has an annoying quirk. Condensation builds up in the cockpit in between the circuit breakers and the windows, which weeps and drips down all over your paperwork. Otherwise, nice plane.

Nice! You didn't get to do the Seafair flyover though, I take it?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
ATP written passed... again! :tootzzz:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

movax posted:

Nice! You didn't get to do the Seafair flyover though, I take it?

I saw pictures of the event and thought it would be cool to fly it sometime, then got the call two days later.

I'll let you know when I have a long layover in SEA so we can meet and talk about float planes and video cards.

vessbot posted:

ATP written passed... again! :tootzzz:

Congrats... again?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Animal posted:

Congrats... again?

Hahah. Thanks. Yeah, I did it first in '14, just before the CTP rule kicked in; but never got the pieces aligned to where I could get the rating. Now, just weeks after it expired, I just finished CTP sponsored by Endeavor, did the written today, and it's off to indoc next week!

vessbot fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 17, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Animal let me know about that long Seattle layover too (if i'm not out on a trip).

I just did SFO-SEA with 25 pax, very little hold fuel and no alternate. In an E170.. lightest I've been in awhile- zero fuel weight was like 56,000 lbs holy poo poo. We were pretty much immediately able to go up to FL400 after departure, but dispatch asked us nicely to stay at 380 because they get nervous about 400. Thanks a lot, Pinnacle 3701. (I assume that's why they always seem to get weird about it, we could have gone up anyway but w/e the fuel burn up there was not that much better and 380 was smooth as glass, so 380 it was.) It's kind of fun when you get rocket-like sports car performance, though. It's a noticable change from a 90,000 lb E175. Normally we fly somewhere between 310~350 w/ 360 on the odd day we're not entirely full with 65 bags.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Animal posted:

I was at a Walmart in Wilmington, OH in June of this year when I noticed several plain white 767s over at Airborne Airpark. Now I understand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Juat got back from my my CYAV CYBR CJV5 CYAV XC solo today.

And I did it in an aircraft with a busted VOR.

• Locked thread