Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

We're getting lots of OSINT on the Bulgarian build up of armor. Some nasty looking T-72's. Possible we have more Tunguska mixed in too, but it's hard to tell from the grainy video. The Bulgarians are some grim looking bastards.

Free State Subreddit is just a big discussion about the merits of different fursuits, Randian philosophy, and a new vape pen. I won't bother to share it, the relevant stuff to us is on the second page anyhow.

:ohdear:

I hope the 'take our planes and go west' contingency isn't going to be invoked, or things are going to be very, very dicey for us if we leave the Angolans to their fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Yvonmukluk posted:

:ohdear:

I hope the 'take our planes and go west' contingency isn't going to be invoked, or things are going to be very, very dicey for us if we leave the Angolans to their fate.

This is why so many of us were willing to dedicate our precious SDB Gripens towards hunting down the S-300.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah, taking that thing out was the primary focus of my plan, as letting it just hang around would be a serious pain in the arsenal for our own operations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's going to be really annoying when we fire a single HARM at the S-300 and we kill it

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vando posted:

It's going to be really annoying when we fire a single HARM at the S-300 and we kill it

But then what would we talk about?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

Don't worry, the Chinese hate us and are packing SA-21s. Same with India, and all it takes is for Rohan to fly south and hit an orphanage in Namibia while getting millions from us for India to come say hello too.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Dong Quixote posted:

Don't worry, the Chinese hate us and are packing SA-21s. Same with India, and all it takes is for Rohan to fly south and hit an orphanage in Namibia while getting millions from us for India to come say hello too.

Oh no I mean when the time comes to face this sort of thing again in future it'll mean half the thread will be all "BUT YOU SAID IT WOULD BE HARD LAST TIME BUT LOOK IT WAS EASY! SEND ONE PLANE THEN CONGA LINE PAST BC IT WILL BE DEAD" and I'll full on pop a vein

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

xthetenth posted:

The Tornadoes are dispensers for some really excellent standoff capability that we don't get from the low end strike force being built around dispensing laser guided bombs like goddamn candy.

To think, if we'd bought the phantoms the first time, we could've focused on the tornadoes with the second buy, and we wouldn't have dumb subsonic things.

Do you have a problem with that candy? Because I sure don't!

Hey we needed those Frogfeet for, uh, reasons, like all their unique abilities such as "going slowly". And it's a great thing we bought those Sperwers in a theater they literally could not operate in. Maximum value there. I think the most useful one we got was the Hawks and iirc they were thrown in as a bonus that we didn't even know we were getting.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

Do you have a problem with that candy? Because I sure don't!

Hey we needed those Frogfeet for, uh, reasons, like all their unique abilities such as "going slowly". And it's a great thing we bought those Sperwers in a theater they literally could not operate in. Maximum value there. I think the most useful one we got was the Hawks and iirc they were thrown in as a bonus that we didn't even know we were getting.

Ah now, you're going too far by saying the Hawks are useful.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Quinntan posted:

Hey, I'm in one of those Hawks until we get my F-35.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

Hey, I'm in one of those Hawks until we get my F-35.

Would you take an upgrade to a skyhawk?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I will not rest until we have electric lightnings flying CAP for super tucanos

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 26, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Quinntan posted:

In game terms,.they've been moderately-useful aircraft. They can each lob a few Mavericks and kill a few tanks, and that's about it. They're basically SK 60s that can actually hit things.

But in real life, they'd actually be a pretty useful aircraft for a mercenary outfit like ours to have. They're a cheap way to do lots of mundane, but important stuff. Train up new pilots, keep pilot hours up when we can't afford to fly the Gripens, and tow gunner targets. They could even act as our very own mini aggressor squadron.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah anything that can at least fire modern atg weapons is fine

they'll blow up tanks in permissive airspace and that's good, at least they aren't sk60s

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

RentACop posted:

I will not rest until we have Phantoms flying CAP for A-1D Skyraiders

ftfy

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Quinntan posted:

The Mavericks are F&F and can outrange lovely AA weapons :shrug: plus they're dirt cheap to operate. I wouldn't start with that option but out of Hawks, Frogfeet, and Sperwers (lol) I'd go with Hawks.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

The Mavericks are F&F and can outrange lovely AA weapons :shrug: plus they're dirt cheap to operate. I wouldn't start with that option but out of Hawks, Frogfeet, and Sperwers (lol) I'd go with Hawks.

The Hawk has a pair of Mavericks, the Frogfoot can haul 16 vikhrs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
gently caress it. Just buy one of these.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sean 'Pike' Baker posted:

The waiting's the worst part, right now. I mean, not just because I'm stuck on the ground waiting until they give me one of the support birds. Part of becoming aircrew in this outfit is you get a bird when the company buys a new one, basically. Which takes a while, in our line of work. We've lost four pilots already since we arrived. So there's that to look forward to. But the other part? Is this limbo time, between when we get the orders and finish the prep, before we even launch a bird. Hayerd-Gunnes likes to keep us informed, helps with morale they say. But that just means when you'll waiting for the off, you find yourself second-guessing everything. Even if you're not even getting into the air on the op. At least that way, you have some control. Down here, there's nothing you can do but wait. Even the actual mission launching, things are happening, even if you have no control. But as ground crew? You're passengers, the whole way through. You get the birds ready, you hope that everyone else's preparation is as thorough as yours was, and you watch and hope that the same number of birds come back that left. And it's not just us on the line this time. If this goes bad, a lot of people on the ground are going to die.

Look at me, talking as if I have any idea of the real stakes. I flew civilian birds - everything I know about air war comes from movies or history books. The birds are fueled and loaded. Nothing much to do now...but wait.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Find me a price tag and Ill put it on the list :D

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loel posted:

Find me a price tag and Ill put it on the list :D

$378.5M plus the cost of modifications and ordnance. Since this is military R&D probably double the cost just to be sure.

Meanwhile we probably could retrofit our C-130 with a few modifications.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

*sniff, wipes tear* it's... it's so beautiful

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Added at 750m.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loel posted:

Added at 750m.

Put a "~" in front of it so that we're scientifically accurate.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

30 billion: Manhattan Project
10 billion; Ford CVN
5 billion: Columbia SSBN
3 billion: MEADS
3 billion: Virginia SSN
3 billion: Nuclear Destroyer
2 billion: Ohio SSGN
1 billion: AEGIS Ashore
750 million: THAAD battery
~750 million: 747 CMC
737 million: B-2
400 million: SA-21
270 million: E-3D
253 million: AC-130U
250 million: David's Sling
244 million: E8-C
178 million: B1-B
175 million: JLENS
150 million: F-22
130 million: AC-130H
125 million: B-52B
120 million: SS-26
115 million: SA-10
111 million: F-117
105 million: F-15K
90 million: Typhoon
85 million: F-35A
72 million: V-22
68 million: EA-18G
60 million: Rafale
60 million: JAS 39C
50 million: Iron Dome
50 million: PAK-FA
43 million: JAS 39E
32 million: Tornado
31 million: SR-71
30 million: F-15E
28 million: CH-53
20 million: F-16D
20 million: RS-24
17 million: MQ-9
15 million: SA-22
14 million: F-111
7 million: WR-40
7 million: PLZ-45
5 million: T-14
3 million: BMP-3
3 million: MIM-104
2 million: F-104G
1 million: CH-4

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 27, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Why the 104G? Can't we get some S ASA/M-s from Italy?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mikl posted:

Why the 104G? Can't we get some S ASA/M-s from Italy?

Only price I saw on wiki :v:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
$20M for a Gripen? Are you sure about that?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Quinntan posted:

The Hawk has a pair of Mavericks, the Frogfoot can haul 16 vikhrs.

Someone earlier mentioned that those are always rippled in pairs, so 8 effective shots. Worse though is Vikhrs are SALH which is a spectacularly bad idea to snipe AA with vs firing and immediately running away.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Quinntan posted:

$20M for a Gripen? Are you sure about that?

Im not sure of anything :v: This is all late night googling.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

what was the pricetag on an Arleigh Burke DDG again? ~1.8 billion?

And for maximum pie-in-the-sky, let's add a Zumwalt class, I think they're ~22.5b

Yooper: In our timeline how thoroughly did the USN throw its weight behind railgun research?

You know, for when Boatse becomes a reality

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that those are always rippled in pairs, so 8 effective shots. Worse though is Vikhrs are SALH which is a spectacularly bad idea to snipe AA with vs firing and immediately running away.

You'd think so, but apparently our Frogfoots have 360 degree laser targeting?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hexenritter posted:

And for maximum pie-in-the-sky, let's add a Zumwalt class, I think they're ~22.5b

Yooper: In our timeline how thoroughly did the USN throw its weight behind railgun research?

No. We're a PMC. What we need to do is Iowa-as-a-Service™.

Think about it. The US always wants Iowas for some sick reason. What we do is we make them less ludicrously expensive to man and operate by spreading the costs out more. We can sell preferred access to our time slots, getting money for nothing, and maintain the tech base better than the USN can.

For profit bombardment ships are the best thing since profit driven prison!

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 26, 2017

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Loel posted:

2 million: F-104G
Yes if we ever get crazy enough to actualy fly one of these I volunteer! G for germany. Gott Strafe England

BTW, those slow CAs planes definitly have a place in our airforce, They perform well enough for tasks like blowing up mobile targets and tents!
And if not that, they at least have a place in our hearts at least, I mean who could say no to a squad of 60's planes taking out a bunch of 5th generation planes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Come on. F-104s are a matter of a metal detector, tickets to Germany and good walking shoes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

xthetenth posted:

Think about it. The US always wants Iowas for some sick reason. What we do is we make them less ludicrously expensive to man and operate by spreading the costs out more. We can sell preferred access to our time slots, getting money for nothing, and maintain the tech base better than the USN can.

:allears: please, continue. This is brilliant.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

xthetenth posted:

No.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Loel posted:

Only price I saw on wiki :v:

Fuselages go for approx. 25000 euros each, though you'll need to replace the internals (engine, avionics, etc.). I'd say 1,5-2 million is probably a good ballpark to get one in working order.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So you plane-goons, any ideas how much better the new JAS 39E/F would be if we had them right now instead of the older C's?

How would a 39E compare to say, an newer version of the F-16 or the Rafale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

The US Navy continued on the current trajectory as we are on today. High-End anti-missile systems are now so effective that high velocity railgun shells are now seen as the only way to truly get through the shield of iron.