Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just got a Switch for my birthday so maybe I should buy this game for the 9th time, good point Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Even DMC5 is still built on the fundamentals established in DMC1 like the control scheme, how moves and weapons work. Its pretty great how it still holds up.

I should play it again sometime because I remember liking it way more than fan favorite 3.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

DMC1 leans way more into the bizarre horror aspect than the other games have since, and the soundtrack is still fantastic. The castle getting progressively more twisted up as you go until you're trawling through an organic hellscape is one of my favorite environmental transitions the series has done.

Gameplay's going to be way more bare-bones than what you expect from DMC5, but the fundamentals of everything are still there.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One thing I love about DMC1 (which I might have already brought up in this topic but whatever, time is a flat circle, etc) is that it's one of the few games I've played where the night is legitimately dark (and full of terrors). I get the need to have the player be able to see what they're doing when playing in a nighttime environment, but there's no reason the moon in a video game should be bright as the freaking sun except a different color. :argh: When the sun goes down in DMC1, you feel it. The whole vibe changes, and it's fantastic.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I tend to think of DMC1 as an action horror. Gothic gets thrown around, although personally I feels it's more Baroque - that more organic feeling, like the castle itself is growing and alive...leading in to the parts where it is actually moving and alive. :v:

And it still feels pretty good to play - the later games do expand more on combat variety, but the gamefeel is still nice and crunchy, and the enemies are still pretty threatening. The music is great, the environments are pretty great and unique, and the mood and atmosphere are tense. You really get the sense of its Resident Evil heritage poking its head through, with that off-sense of dread pervading everything.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8GiCjvdzPY

... nah, doesn't hold a candle to the original, mostly due to lack of the Spanish VO in the video. However, this time the Dante skin is a real mod at least: https://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry5/mods/182

Zushio
May 8, 2008

darealkooky posted:

if this thread has devolved into just suggesting every game where you juggle enemies in 3D let me throw out a spotlight on a little title called anima. This game is made by three dudes in spain and I like it quite a bit, it starts out a little weak but it's got some real good parts (late game boss fights in particular) and some mechanics that I unironically think should be in every game in this genre like mid combo character switching. It actually feels like a better 3D metroidvania than the official ones do, for whatever that's worth. It's also got a side game which is basically a special edition, you play as a new character in some old content and some new stuff. Again the intro is the weakest part

With that said pretty extreme content warning, if you aren't down with playing a game that looks and sounds like a fanfic someone wrote about all their favorite animes meeting up back in 2008 - only to rediscover it and file off all the names in order to legally sell it - you should probably street clear.

This looks... solidly mediocre with too much anime. Luckily I am immune to anime and have extremely low standards. Just gonna leave that on my wishlist in case of a sale or I have an extra 20 bucks. The reviews mention that there are some puzzles. How are they honestly? I've learned not to trust any reviews on Steam and a lot of people mention they are hard. I do like me some puzzles, particularly difficult/creative ones like in The Witness or The Talos Principle. However if we are talking more along the lines of making a cat hair mustache then I am out with a passion.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been replaying Bayonetta and I have to say I think I like DMC5 a lot more. I forgot just how many moves there are in Bayonetta, it's hard to figure out which combos are useful or if I should just mash whichever combo gives me the most Wicked Weaves. And none of the moves quite have that same satisfying feeling as a Real Impact or a DT Stinger. Still having fun with it though, my reflexes must be a lot slower compared to when I was younger. When I first played this game I don't remember dying to any of the QTEs, but now I'm dying to every other one and it tanks my score.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Monkey Business devil breaker is up for free on your platform’s store of choice.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Pirate Jet posted:

The Monkey Business devil breaker is up for free on your platform’s store of choice.

Quick note: you can't buy that arm in Nico's shop. You *have* to find it in a stage.

You can put unused ones in storage, at least.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

CharlestonJew posted:

I've been replaying Bayonetta and I have to say I think I like DMC5 a lot more. I forgot just how many moves there are in Bayonetta, it's hard to figure out which combos are useful or if I should just mash whichever combo gives me the most Wicked Weaves. And none of the moves quite have that same satisfying feeling as a Real Impact or a DT Stinger. Still having fun with it though, my reflexes must be a lot slower compared to when I was younger. When I first played this game I don't remember dying to any of the QTEs, but now I'm dying to every other one and it tanks my score.

I had the same problem with Bayonetta. Tons of moves is good- I'd be happy if all the characters in DMC 5 had more moves - but if they're not distinctive I'm going to have a hard time remembering them and therefore stylish combat will be more unlikely

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The thing I like about DMC’s moves is that generally each different move has a specific purpose or particular use case(s). This contrasts with Bayonetta where it seems like they just came up with a huge list of potential button inputs and started animating for them. It’s certainly flashy but it’s hard to get a sense of why you would use Y Y B Y over Y B B Y or whatever.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Are my only options with scissors to parry (to trigger their angry/one hit kill mode) or just resign myself to pouring a bunch of damage into them? Because I’m real bad at timing parries and their floors in BP always end up costing me time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Boxman posted:

Are my only options with scissors to parry (to trigger their angry/one hit kill mode) or just resign myself to pouring a bunch of damage into them? Because I’m real bad at timing parries and their floors in BP always end up costing me time.

DSD Stinger, Cerberus Revolver and Basic attacks with Balrog (punch mode) all let you parry anything with ease as Dante. Nero's launcher, the one where you hold attack and Shuffle all have a lot of active frames to parry as well. No idea for V cause I haven't touched him in BP yet. Wait for them to laugh, then pause for a second while they wind up and attack, you should get the parry.
These floors become free once you get the parries down, it's really worth it.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Sakaki has put a Smokin' Sexy Stylish fight against Vergil in his youtube channel. Worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY6BATNOMOA

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Snicker-Snack posted:

Sakaki has put a Smokin' Sexy Stylish fight against Vergil in his youtube channel. Worth a watch:

Whoa :stare: Extremely pro click guys.
Although what's that attack he does at the end, I don't recall using it?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Square/Triangle by default, it's a huge aoe attack that acts as SDT's finisher. Pretty sure it hits regardless of range, always try to do it when the gauge is almost empty (it's also fully invincible)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

The thing I like about DMC’s moves is that generally each different move has a specific purpose or particular use case(s). This contrasts with Bayonetta where it seems like they just came up with a huge list of potential button inputs and started animating for them. It’s certainly flashy but it’s hard to get a sense of why you would use Y Y B Y over Y B B Y or whatever.

Huuuge props to the DMC move design for most of the series. The move sets are great about having damage/speed tradeoffs, single target vs AoE, and stationary vs moving you in different directions and amounts. It's more "soft counter" than "hard counter" too, so even if you're doing the "wrong" attacks somewhere it still works and feels like you're doing cool stuff. Then learning to use more of the movelist and weapons and being able to hotswap through everything feels really good and rewarding to find and use the "right" move in each moment. Plus different moves can be the right answer. It all adds up to feeling ~super stylish~ AND effective. Add the style meter on top and you get another thing ticking your brain to try out all the moves and give you a flashy thumbs up. It's not as cool and flashy as the Platinum stuff when you just mash buttons, but the skill/reward curve for learning the combat system is crazy good.

The Plat stuff instead puts "hard counter" type rewards into the moves, like weave attacks at the end of Bayo combos. So the more you play it instead of learning to expand the movelist it feels more like learning how to trim it down and use the fastest route to the reward. In Bayo you can use PPPKKK to trip the mob and hit with a weave. But the trip doesn't come till the 4th attack and as the difficulty levels go up each attack you do is more likely to get parried and your combo broken, or you might just get hit out from the flurry of 4 mobs attacking, and by the time the trips come out they might whiff, and you have to successfully get to the 6th attack for your big damage weave to hit. Why figure out how to use that long combo when you can just do PKP to get a quick weave which is way easier to land and still gets you big damage and score. Or even better use dodge offset cancelling to skip the PK and just fire off the P weave at the end. Same thing for MGR, whole bunch of combos and moves that you first learn how to do them all just to learn why most aren't worth doing and it's way more effective to just learn how to royal guard everything and mix in quick attack spam and a few other moves. It's all a different approach that I think is better for teh casuls - you get a lot of kind of flashy stuff for mashing buttons with some BOOM attack at the end, and some ~trick~ thing like witch time to feel all pro to use after getting used to the game a bit. Then there's a sharp spike up to reward diving in more, like getting longer witch time for parrying or mad damage for MGR parries. Then the variety falls off a cliff in repeated plays cause you just find the handful of OP things to use and abuse.

Or I might just be bad :D

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Snicker-Snack posted:

Yeh click this, lookin like a TAS o_O

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

teh_Broseph posted:

Or I might just be bad :D

no I feel the exact same way

I am also very bad at Dodge Offset so I feel like the higher difficulties are going to be a pain in the rear end

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Snicker-Snack posted:

This vid has interrupts I've seen literally nowhere else.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Boxman posted:

maximum bet as nero seems to consistently break one of their two scissors in one hit even with the lowest charge possible, meaning you can just do that 2 times. sometimes it doesn't work for reasons I can't quite follow

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Snicker-Snack posted:

broke: stuffing Vergil's charge with Royal Release
woke: teleporting right at Vergil as he starts his charge and stuffing it with Royal Release

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Lol I let my 4 year old play DMC5 and he parried a hellbat's fireball as a slowmo finisher move.

Okay then mr showoff.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Lol I let my 4 year old play DMC5 and he parried a hellbat's fireball as a slowmo finisher move.

Okay then mr showoff.

Make your child into a DMC5 god

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

toasterwarrior posted:

broke: stuffing Vergil's charge with Royal Release
woke: teleporting right at Vergil as he starts his charge and stuffing it with Royal Release

I don't know what's better: that or just coyote stinger *rolling* through the dimension judgement cut with the added "Haha gently caress you" of the double real impact combo he pulls right after.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I watched that video and got super confused when he just charged through that maximum vergil or judgment end or whatever it's called, then saw a bunch of people in the comments and here saying the same thing. Glad that's tech and not something I should have known about, but I'm pretty sure I had no idea coyote stinger had any invincibility frames, let alone that many.

Also thanks for the tips on scissors, everyone.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boxman posted:

I watched that video and got super confused when he just charged through that maximum vergil or judgment end or whatever it's called, then saw a bunch of people in the comments and here saying the same thing. Glad that's tech and not something I should have known about, but I'm pretty sure I had no idea coyote stinger had any invincibility frames, let alone that many.

That's not the normal Coyote Stinger, it's the final level gunslinger move for Coyote where you basically get to do a Tablehopper into Coyote Stinger.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Snicker-Snack posted:

I just can't stop watching this holy poo poo. Now my favourite is the Rain Storm from max height achieved by continuously air tricking to Vegril as he slahes from above.

Jack Trades posted:

That's not the normal Coyote Stinger, it's the final level gunslinger move for Coyote where you basically get to do a Tablehopper into Coyote Stinger.

It's extra confusing since it has nothing that tells you it has as many i-frames as it does.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Not DMC but its a sister game. Really explains why the PS3 version of NG2 is disliked and shows how good the upgrade is on the X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h0D6t9AAcw

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not sure about 2, but Ninja Gaiden Black has possibly the best and most varied cast of normal enemies out of any game I have ever played. Even the most basic grunts have a wide variety of moves, tactics, and weapons they can use. And some of the harder monsters exclusive to higher difficulties had enough moves to shame bosses of other franchises. It was really impressive.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Jack Trades posted:

he switches from gunslinger -> swordmaster -> trickster really quick there. Swordmaster for the uppercut?

he's perfect guarding all the attacks when he switches to RG right?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RBX posted:

Not DMC but its a sister game. Really explains why the PS3 version of NG2 is disliked and shows how good the upgrade is on the X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h0D6t9AAcw

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the best action games ever and Ninja Gaiden 2 is a heavily flawed but exhilarating experience. The sigma games are huge downgrades in almost every way.
I actually kinda liked the slowdown in NG2, it made that giant battle on the stairs near the end of the game feel like some real Matrix poo poo

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Augus posted:

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the best action games ever and Ninja Gaiden 2 is a heavily flawed but exhilarating experience. The sigma games are huge downgrades in almost every way.
I actually kinda liked the slowdown in NG2, it made that giant battle on the stairs near the end of the game feel like some real Matrix poo poo

I enjoyed NG2 just fine until I got to those werewolf enemies. Could never figure out when they were going to armor through my attacks and eventually just gave up.

Ninja Gaiden Black needs a re-release on Steam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My only memory of NG2 was the boss that explodes and kills you instantly after you defeat it unless you realise you have to block.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I rented one of the NGs and made it to the subway train lightning boss and despite having already beaten Devil May Cry on DMD I found that boss fight utterly inscrutable and never understood how not to die to literally every attack.

So I’ve just always maintained that Ninja Gaiden sucks.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestonJew posted:

no I feel the exact same way

I am also very bad at Dodge Offset so I feel like the higher difficulties are going to be a pain in the rear end

Dodge offset helped me out a LOT on the highest difficulty cause I ended up solving about every problem with flipping around dodge cancelling into the PKP weave attack (along with the accessory that drops bombs to replace witch time for dodging). But imo the game gets pretty not cool in that difficulty and is totally skippable. Dodge offset is an annoying amount of buttons to mash and mentally track and you can totes get by without it in the other difficulties. An actual fun thing you can worry about instead imo is to get the parry accessory and focus on that - you get longer witch time than a regular dodge with a perfect parry so you can do full combos there without having to keep a dodge offset chain going.

Also the katana is really good - not as easy as the pistols to keep dodge offset going, but the parry counterattack is a lot better, and some of the weave hits (like PKP!) do a big horizontal slice that hits WAY more enemies than the pistol weave. Whip is funky to use for attacking, but it's also a Nero arm so it's groovy for swapping to and pulling enemies, especially doing the DMC camera thing of getting everything off screen then pulling one at a time.

Post back how the game treats ya! I was really lookin forward to revisiting it but the the more I played through the less I actually enjoyed it, despite really wanting to.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 13, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The whip can also attack flaming enemies out of witch time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I beat Bayonetta on NSIC without learning to dodge offset. I leaned a lot on the accessory that makes you drop bombs when you dodge instead of getting witch time (no drawback on NSIC), the counter from perfect parries, and the instant wicked weaves you get from doing the back -> forward -> kick/punch special moves with magic meter.

Freezing enemies with the ice skates was useful for crowd control, and holding buttons with the lightning claws is a great source of combo damage when you can't wicked weave reliably.

Just be glad you aren't playing the PS3 version, which ran at 20-30 fps at all times. I really loved the game to put up with that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
RIP pre-patch Bayonetta PS3 which had significant load times for pausing the game. The incompetence of the port was astounding.