Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I've been doing a playthrough of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 0 on PS2 and it's so refreshing, there's very few racing games like it. You are let loose on the open Tokyo freeway at night, you flash your high beams at cars you encounter to start a race and fighting game style health bars appear up top. The object is to stay in front and the farther ahead of your opponent you are, the quicker their health bar drops. Most of your opponents are in gangs, and beating all of them unlocks their boss, beating enough bosses unlocks new off ramps and freeway sections. Each win gets you money that you spend on upgrades and new cars.

It fuckin rocks and they really don't make them like this anymore (maybe because all the cars are real but unlicensed). There were some other games in the series on Dreamcast and a subsequent sequel on PS2, but 0 is the high point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022
That sounds sick as hell, I’ve been curious about that series for a while because almost every dreamcast racer I’ve played (save for metropolis racing or whatever that game is called) has been excellent. Are the dreamcast ones good too or should I just go straight to 0?

On densha de go, I’ve also wanted to get into those games forever because I love peripherals and I love Taito, but none of the games are in English. Are they pretty easy to play without knowing Japanese? I’ve wanted to check them out ever since I played power shovel, which loving owns. I want to get the power shovel peripheral but it’s like $200 from Japan.

Finally, I’ve been playing darkstalkers 3 a bunch lately. It’s like all I can think about lol. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that makes me laugh this much except for like sega bass fishing. It’s also just a really fun fighting game, I’ve seen it compared to the alpha series but its so much more fast paced. Kinda like if mvc wasnt busted.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I liked metropolis street racer. it had real time clock functionality. I had a few moments of uncanniness spinning up the san francisco tracks late at night and tearing around on them in the dark and in the fog when outside in the real world it was dark and foggy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Foobie posted:

On densha de go, I’ve also wanted to get into those games forever because I love peripherals and I love Taito, but none of the games are in English. Are they pretty easy to play without knowing Japanese? I’ve wanted to check them out ever since I played power shovel, which loving owns. I want to get the power shovel peripheral but it’s like $200 from Japan.

It’s pretty easy to get the basics down, and there’s a lot of videos and guides online explaining some of the more advanced stuff beyond train go fast and train stop please god train stop.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Foobie posted:

That sounds sick as hell, I’ve been curious about that series for a while because almost every dreamcast racer I’ve played (save for metropolis racing or whatever that game is called) has been excellent. Are the dreamcast ones good too or should I just go straight to 0?

From what I understand, 0 is kind of a remake/port of the dreamcast's TXR2, I had it on a burned disc (because Dreamcast) 20 years ago but I've never gone back to it after I picked up 0 since it seemed kinda redundant.

I remember 3 (the sequence goes 1, 2, 0, 3) also not being an improvement either, it's got weather effects and adds 3 way races, but it also only has one kind of vehicle in traffic, so every other non-racing car is a big yellow van.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I finished Metal Gear Solid 2. Greatly enjoyed it and didn't understand the super long cutscene rep it has until I got smacked in the face by a Thirty Seven Minute plot dump before the final boss.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
After seeing that it had universal acclaim, I picked up SSX 3 for PS2 for peanuts on eBay and played it for an evening. Thought it was good fun, but couldn't help wondering when the open-world part unlocked.

Afterwards, had a sudden suspicious thought and went back to check the disc rather than the box. It was SSX (no suffix). :doh:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm going to do it this time. I'm going to finish cave story.

also I can't get any of the educational software I d/l'ed to run on the kid's hand me down macintosh, but I could get jets 'n' guns to run on it

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

njsykora posted:

I finished Metal Gear Solid 2. Greatly enjoyed it and didn't understand the super long cutscene rep it has until I got smacked in the face by a Thirty Seven Minute plot dump before the final boss.

If you somehow haven't played MGS3 or MGS4 yet and you have a dislike of long cutscenes....oh boy do I have news for you

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm currently playing young Indiana Jones chronicles on NES as part of the big20 and its kinda an awful game, your weapons work as hit points so the difficulty scales in a weird way, your jump makes you pause for half a second on landing which is tough to get used too but it's oddly charming in that way tough platforms are

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Dell_Zincht posted:

If you somehow haven't played MGS3 or MGS4 yet and you have a dislike of long cutscenes....oh boy do I have news for you

is mgs4 the one with the double feature that shows up between two five minute gameplay sections?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I am fully prepared for what MGS4 is don't worry. It wasn't so much that I didn't like it (though I do tend to zone out when the cutscene is just a codec conversation) but that it was so much longer than the rest of the game's cutscenes. Also it was 3am and I'd gone in knowing all that was left was the final boss.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Quiet Feet posted:

Been playing through the original Dragon Warrior and should be finishing it up in the next day or so. Its definitely dated but the first, oh, 3/4s of the game isn't even that bad. The last of it is kind of a slog though.

Mokotow posted:

The whole game is nothing but this wonderful raw blueprint for things to come, for better and worse.
I always thought of Dragon Warrior as the ultimate Baby's First JRPG. It was certainly the first one I played. (I thought that was just personal bias, but nah, I don't think there was anything like it on a console when it came out.) Any and every CRPG I've played since then has been defined by how it built on or deviated from Dragon Warrior.

It's a very simple black and white morality tale where a lone hero has to rescue the princess and defeat the villain; the forces of a good and righteous status quo triumph over evil and chaos. The most interesting thing about the story is that it has a midpoint quest (rescuing Gwaelin) and that last, sloggy quarter of the game isn't entirely linear.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I beat Ys 2 yesterday, the pce version. Still not sure how I feel about it.

The magic system kinda overshadowed the bump combat. Homing fireballs are OP and being able to transform and disguise yourself as an enemy character means there's no real tension outside of the boss encounters, felt a little like a stealth game where you can't be caught.

I didn't really like the dungeons in Ys II, I think I actually prefer the tower climb from Ys I. Just for the simple fact that as you're progressing in Ys I you're finding new areas with new music and new paint on the walls, whereas in Ys II you're pretty much stuck in the last area for 4 of the games 7 bosses.

I loved the final boss though, just a guy teleporting across the screen with meteors flying at you from the top of the screen that do insane damage while you dink away. Very satisfying to get the kill.

I also loved the demons in the final area who complained about long demon meetings and disguised Adol not having his lanyard with him.

The music was top notch and the voice acting reminded me of a Saturday morning cartoon.

I think I might replay Ys I next weekend while this is all fresh on my mind.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Halloween Jack posted:

I always thought of Dragon Warrior as the ultimate Baby's First JRPG. It was certainly the first one I played. (I thought that was just personal bias, but nah, I don't think there was anything like it on a console when it came out.) Any and every CRPG I've played since then has been defined by how it built on or deviated from Dragon Warrior.

It's a very simple black and white morality tale where a lone hero has to rescue the princess and defeat the villain; the forces of a good and righteous status quo triumph over evil and chaos. The most interesting thing about the story is that it has a midpoint quest (rescuing Gwaelin) and that last, sloggy quarter of the game isn't entirely linear.

My experience is very much the same. It's literally the first RPG I ever played and I remember vividly the moment I asked my brother what RPG stood for and my mom immediately piped up with "Rocket propelled grenade." so that's what I think of every time DW comes up.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

leper khan posted:

is mgs4 the one with the double feature that shows up between two five minute gameplay sections?

Yes.

I like to think of MGS4 as a game that plays itself and reluctantly lets the player have a go every once in a while.

I still love it though despite how utterly dumb it is.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I always thought of Dragon Warrior as the ultimate Baby's First JRPG.

I had DW as a little kid and it was too hard or I was too bored. I still hate the action command menu. I never know if I'm supposed to be searching every little block of a village.

FF Mystic Quest was my first RPG I really got into as a pre teen. Id like to add it to baby's first list from a plot uptake, difficulty, complexity, and length standpoint

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dragon Warrior was a lot of first people's JRPG, due in part to a Nintendo Power promotion that gave away thousands of free copies of the game with a $15 one-year subscription to the magazine. It's where I got mine initially and got me hooked on the genre, but not to the Dragon Warrior series.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I checked out Clock Tower 3 for an hour or so before I got killed by the hammer guy last night. Cutscene direction definitely has some interesting stuff in there, but sadly I had an emulator glitch that made cutscenes look very, very weird.

The highlight of the game so far was definitely seeing a little girl get hit in the face with a sledgehammer. It got me to do a gasp, then a giggle. What can I say, I love it when horror stuff has the courage to brutalize a child. I especially loved that poo poo as a kid because I was so used to watching movies where teens and adults gets killed, and seeing that a threat wasn't afraid to hurt a child instantly made stuff so much scarier.

Gameplay wise I don't really know what to think of this yet. All I've done is a little hiding, some splashing holy water to get a bad guy away from me, and a pretty good puzzle that was super easy to solve, but I actually did have to sit down and think for 15 seconds to do it. I might play some more tonight because there is definitely some fun low budget horror vibes in the story and assets and stuff but the gameplay wasn't bringing the heat.

Also why do all the menu and item pickup sound effects sound like Deadly Premonition? Same sample pack?

Also I think might have missed something because I was in an old english mansion one second and then the next I was in WWII getting bombed by planes but hey whatever.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 12, 2024

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh hey, I did Clock Tower 3 a few months ago! Stick with it, and the transition from grimy survival horror to Magical Girl Anime Bullshit will happen before you realize what's going on.

And no, you didn't miss anything, that's the correct reaction to that wonderful moment of lunacy.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

After The War posted:

Oh hey, I did Clock Tower 3 a few months ago! Stick with it, and the transition from grimy survival horror to Magical Girl Anime Bullshit will happen before you realize what's going on.

And no, you didn't miss anything, that's the correct reaction to that wonderful moment of lunacy.

I will definitely try it again tonight, I got to say I'm curious to see that transition even if my interest is way more in horror than the other stuff.

Do you got a blog? I was just looking at some of your other posts in this thread and I think you mentioned blogging. Blogs where people play random old and new games and just post their thoughts are just about my favorite thing so I'd love to check it out.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I finally got a MegaEverdrive Pro, which means that I can finally play a game I've been waiting forever to play on original hardware (errr I guess FPGA for the SegaCD part...): SNATCHER!!! Only an hour in and blown away. This game is rad as hell.

Policenauts after this! Is PSX or Saturn version better?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

did you remember to pick up a justifier before playing snatcher?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

The Voice of Labor posted:

did you remember to pick up a justifier before playing snatcher?

You bet your rear end I’ve got Ol’ Blue by my side :clint:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

only way you could really do better would be to get a holster for it.

when I tried to do policenauts I bought an ashtray to put my joint in for ambiance

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fighting Elegy posted:

I will definitely try it again tonight, I got to say I'm curious to see that transition even if my interest is way more in horror than the other stuff.

Do you got a blog? I was just looking at some of your other posts in this thread and I think you mentioned blogging. Blogs where people play random old and new games and just post their thoughts are just about my favorite thing so I'd love to check it out.

Don't worry, the horror never really goes away - the settings, puzzles, and (most of) the combat all stay pretty consistent with survival horror expectations throughout the entire game. It's more a shift in character design and the details filling out backstory and abilities. But even when it's :japan:, it's still going for the same kind of thing, just through a somewhat different lens.

And I do got a blog! I mostly cover the video game side of things, and my buddy mostly covers tabletop RPGs. A lot of it just thoughts that come up as I work my way through a very long backlog, but it's kind of cool to keep the conversation alive about games that don't get talked about much any more, like Oni, Mirror's Edge, or the 2009 Wolfenstein.

I haven't done anything with Clock Tower 3, though, - don't know what I'd have to say about it that I haven't already covered in posts about horror gaming or genre-blending. Maybe once I get around to Haunting Ground, I'll do something incorporating it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

SeductiveReasoning posted:

I finally got a MegaEverdrive Pro, which means that I can finally play a game I've been waiting forever to play on original hardware (errr I guess FPGA for the SegaCD part...): SNATCHER!!! Only an hour in and blown away. This game is rad as hell.

Policenauts after this! Is PSX or Saturn version better?

The great thing about the Sega CD version of Snatcher is that ratio of gameplay to cutscene in the last act is extremely Kojima, possibly worse than MGS4... except he didn't have anything to do with this version. On the other hand, it has an ending, which the original release did not.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Kojima games are good for those nights when you can't decide if you'd rather watch a movie, play a videogame, or read wikipedia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They replaced the scissor man with a hammer man in CT3? That sounds like a massive step down. Scissorman is so weird and unique as an enemy

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Hammer Man is the first stalker/boss guy out of several. There's some Scissoring later on, worry not.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Been playing through the FF Pixel Remasters. Played and beat FF3 since I never beat the NES version. The game is so swingy with the difficulty even with the quality of life features such as removing the capacity point system. The heroes still are weak at low job levels so guarding a few times in battle then winning on low level enemies is still viable until you get that job level to 10-15 or so. Overall it's a perfectly fine FF game but I can see why it can be a bit dense to get into.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Has Final Fight always been this stiff feeling? Or is it because I've played a lot more Streets of Rage? I'm playing a Japanese version of Final Fight One on GBA and took Haggar all the way up to the waterfront, where I am stuck on the boss, a large white wrestler with ridiculous reach.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Turbinosamente posted:

Has Final Fight always been this stiff feeling? Or is it because I've played a lot more Streets of Rage? I'm playing a Japanese version of Final Fight One on GBA and took Haggar all the way up to the waterfront, where I am stuck on the boss, a large white wrestler with ridiculous reach.

He's easy if you know what to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHs4gxwUKZY&t=1786s

Not sure about the GBA version but Haggar is invincible while his is doing his back breaker attack. It's back + punch when grappled or hold back while doing your punch combo. Its super useful when surrounded.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 13, 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm unable to play anything other than metroidvanias. I'm trying to get into phantom 2040 so I think I'm hitting the bottom of the barrel. send help, please

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'm unable to play anything other than metroidvanias. I'm trying to get into phantom 2040 so I think I'm hitting the bottom of the barrel. send help, please

play dragon slayer iv, and from there shift to legend of heroes series

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Resorted to an emulator to play SSX 3 since I didn't get the actual disc, and :stare: daaaamn, it's a good game. How the hell did I miss out on this at the time? It's not really as open-world as it's claimed because the 'out of bounds' signs appear every so often, but being able to start on a mountain peak and go all the way down to the bottom in one go is both impressive and oddly relaxing.

I did get the PS3 SSX disc, so I'll have to give that a try next. After just one more go on this...

(Downloaded various other PS2 games I'd missed as well, and God Hand looks a lot of fun.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Small Strange Bird posted:

Resorted to an emulator to play SSX 3 since I didn't get the actual disc, and :stare: daaaamn, it's a good game. How the hell did I miss out on this at the time? It's not really as open-world as it's claimed because the 'out of bounds' signs appear every so often, but being able to start on a mountain peak and go all the way down to the bottom in one go is both impressive and oddly relaxing.

I did get the PS3 SSX disc, so I'll have to give that a try next. After just one more go on this...

(Downloaded various other PS2 games I'd missed as well, and God Hand looks a lot of fun.)

Protip, the out of bounds signs usually mark shortcuts and secret paths.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

njsykora posted:

Protip, the out of bounds signs usually mark shortcuts and secret paths.
:doh: I meant out of limits, where you get teleported back onto the track. But now I'm going to check them out more closely, thanks!

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Small Strange Bird posted:

God Hand is really excellent, especially if you're an action/beat-em-up player looking for something that's plays way differently than DMC or Bayonetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Godhand rules but be aware it is pulling no punches. It is very, very hard and while chain-yanker can break the games difficulty a little bit, you have to get there.