Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nissan are pretty terrible. the 370Z is like $50k in Australia, and its only that cheap because the $35k BRZ/86 launched and ate its loving lunch for a whole quarter so they lopped 10K off the price in some weird attempt to try and make it seem more palatable for a car with 2 less seats, not a whole lot more performance, and similar build quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would honestly say that the BRZ/86 have better much better quality despite costing less.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm pretty sure the local Nissan dealership here was advertising outgoing model year stripper Versas for like 10k so that's something.

Anyone with sense would be better off taking 10k and buying a few years old Honda or Toyota but some folks just gotta have something new I guess.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Laserface posted:

Nissan are pretty terrible. the 370Z is like $50k in Australia, and its only that cheap because the $35k BRZ/86 launched and ate its loving lunch for a whole quarter so they lopped 10K off the price in some weird attempt to try and make it seem more palatable for a car with 2 less seats, not a whole lot more performance, and similar build quality.

Seriously what are they thinking with the pricing of the 370Z in Australia? They want 64K for a convertible one in standard Nissan grey so I'm surprised they sold any of them!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tobu posted:

Seriously what are they thinking with the pricing of the 370Z in Australia? They want 64K for a convertible one in standard Nissan grey so I'm surprised they sold any of them!

has Nissan ever made a good looking convertible? the S15, the 350z and the Murano are all loving hideous.

I think the S13 might be the only good looking Nissan (datsuns excluded) convertible ever made.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Personally I don't think anything looks quite as bad as the Lincoln MKT. I haven't seen one in the wild in quite a while.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Human Grand Prix posted:

2002. The M-Class is cool because it basically ruined Mercedes-Benz's "bulletproof" reputation overnight. There were other factors of course (the late 90s wasn't a great time for Mercedes road cars) but it was the main one.

It was also in that awful Jurassic Park sequel I think.

The neon green striped Explorers with the red wheels ruled, though

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hansolio posted:

Personally I don't think anything looks quite as bad as the Lincoln MKT. I haven't seen one in the wild in quite a while.

Yeah, it's the worst looking by far.

However: it's extremely good from a passenger standpoint as a livery vehicle, and apparently it's not awful for the drivers either (way more forgiving than a Town Car in winter, obviously), according to my friend who used to drive for a limo service. So who really gives a gently caress what it looks like?

I can't imagine buying one as my own vehicle, though. Non-fleet sales must be ridiculously low.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wish luxury SUVs didnt sell so loving well.
may the gods forever drat the escalade and drown its memory in the deepest pits of hell.

At least the Escalade looks good. All but the first gen

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Previa_fun posted:

I'm pretty sure the local Nissan dealership here was advertising outgoing model year stripper Versas for like 10k so that's something.

Anyone with sense would be better off taking 10k and buying a few years old Honda or Toyota but some folks just gotta have something new I guess.

Have you driven a stripper Versa though? I rented one once and it was a weird experience because the exterior styling is contemporary but stepping inside is like a time warp to the 80s, all the way down to the square interior plastics, hand-cranked windows, and manual locks.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Laserface posted:

has Nissan ever made a good looking convertible? the S15, the 350z and the Murano are all loving hideous.

I think the S13 might be the only good looking Nissan (datsuns excluded) convertible ever made.

The Z32 convertible was boss as gently caress.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Hansolio posted:

Wow, I completely forgot about that/blanked it out. Lincoln's design language before the new continental was dreadful.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Q_res posted:

The Z32 convertible was boss as gently caress.
Fixed for you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

At least the Escalade looks good. All but the first gen

While it hasn't aged well at all, the first gen Escalade was pretty decent looking when it came out.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Nissan is definitely the Chrysler of Japan, and it rings true now more than ever.

I still like the styling off the Juke (I'm a broken person who likes quirky) but after having driven one I was astounded by how small it was inside. It's much less roomy inside than our Veloster yet it looks like it should be bigger from the outside. Can't say I remember the driving experience much.

And Nissan has terrible "sport" trims lately, they're as bad or worst with Nismo and Spec V as Toyota is with TRD.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

As Nero Danced posted:

Wow, I completely forgot about that/blanked it out. Lincoln's design language before the new continental was dreadful.

Some guy a few pages ago was lumping Lincoln and Cadillac in the same tier and I was like what era are you thinking of?

Lincoln is still pretty much Fords with different styling. Isn't the new Continental basically a Ford Taurus?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

In the same way an ATS is basically a Camaro.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Q_res posted:

In the same way an ATS is basically a Camaro.

No they're much closer. The new international Taurus (no longer sold in the US) shares I believe some interior stuff as well as size and layout

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Taurus is already pretty plush, massaging seats and what not. The Camaro is... not.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Okay, then pretend I said XTS, XT5 or Escalade. (Audi A4 or A6, Lexus ES or I guess an Infiniti if I could keep their names straight) They're not that different from the ATS. Well, except for the part where people actually buy them.

I just don't think "it's basically a Chinese-market Taurus" is a particularly useful or meaningful criticism of Lincoln's strategy. Which, frankly, looks better than Cadillac's at this point. Because Lincoln's lineup looks like it's not that different from Cadillac's, the part of Cadillac that actually sells and makes money anyway.

Being American BMW didn't work. Hiring the guy from Infiniti so they could be American, Japanese BMW didn't work.

To me it looks like Lincoln learned from Cadillac's mistakes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Previa_fun posted:

You can't roll your outstanding balance on your trade-in into a 10 year loan on a used car as easily as you can on a new one.

Bajaha posted:

Nissan is definitely the Chrysler of Japan, and it rings true now more than ever.

Yup. Every lower-income neighborhood around me is nothing but new Nissans and Charger/Challengers. I have to imagine those companies know the subprime bubble is going to burst and take them down entirely, so might as well get as much money as you can now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

They sell well enough to keep the companies producing cool cars. The Cayenne is a license to print money for Porsche.

Also I like the Urus. Its fun.

I wish another class of car would be what luxSUVs are.
Imagine how different car design priorities would be if luxury Sedans were the big ticket money makers.
Or wagons, or 2+2 GTs.

I know SUV popularity is reflective of road quality in the US and a self feeding loop where the more people buy SUVs the more other people feel dwarfed in their regular cars and thus have more incentive to buy SUVs, and bunch of other things but this is a hypothetical.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hansolio posted:

There are so many ways in which this thing offends my eyes. That rear light cluster in particular is loving heinous.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

It looks like someone knifed its rear end laterally.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Some guy a few pages ago was lumping Lincoln and Cadillac in the same tier and I was like what era are you thinking of?

Lincoln is still pretty much Fords with different styling. Isn't the new Continental basically a Ford Taurus?

Cadillac’s best selling car is basically a Chevrolet Impala.

Q_res posted:

Okay, then pretend I said XTS, XT5 or Escalade. (Audi A4 or A6, Lexus ES or I guess an Infiniti if I could keep their names straight) They're not that different from the ATS. Well, except for the part where people actually buy them.

I just don't think "it's basically a Chinese-market Taurus" is a particularly useful or meaningful criticism of Lincoln's strategy. Which, frankly, looks better than Cadillac's at this point. Because Lincoln's lineup looks like it's not that different from Cadillac's, the part of Cadillac that actually sells and makes money anyway.

Being American BMW didn't work. Hiring the guy from Infiniti so they could be American, Japanese BMW didn't work.

To me it looks like Lincoln learned from Cadillac's mistakes.

Lincoln feels forgettable to me, but they seem like they’re good deals off-lease if you just want a nice car. And that brand likely requires way less effort than GM has pumped into Cadillac, a personally maddening brand. Take the CTS. It’s one of my favorite current designs, a great drive, and the first owner ate nearly half of the car’s depreciation. But the center stack and CUE are reminiscent of a 6-year old Android phone, except executed by General Motors. :negative:

In addition, the combined sales of the current CTS and ATS are down from the last-gen CTS, and Cadillac was beaten to the luxury crossover craze by the Germans somehow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godzilla07 posted:

Cadillac’s best selling car is basically a Chevrolet Impala.

Lincoln feels forgettable to me, but they seem like they’re good deals off-lease if you just want a nice car. And that brand likely requires way less effort than GM has pumped into Cadillac, a personally maddening brand. Take the CTS. It’s one of my favorite current designs, a great drive, and the first owner ate nearly half of the car’s depreciation. But the center stack and CUE are reminiscent of a 6-year old Android phone, except executed by General Motors. :negative:

In addition, the combined sales of the current CTS and ATS are down from the last-gen CTS, and Cadillac was beaten to the luxury crossover craze by the Germans somehow.

GM could really drastically improve their product across the entire range by developing a common infotainment system that isn’t a godamned abomination.

CarPlay/AndroidPlay or whatever needs more attention both from the Automotive OEs, as well as from the iOS/Android teams. It’s like, 85% of a solution, but not quite where it should be, yet.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
CarPlay is such a loving embarrassment. It’s so far away from what Apple stuff should be. It was “promising” three years ago when it was introduced but the fact they haven’t addressed its shortcomings at all is inexcusable.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

i own every Bionicle posted:

CarPlay is such a loving embarrassment. It’s so far away from what Apple stuff should be. It was “promising” three years ago when it was introduced but the fact they haven’t addressed its shortcomings at all is inexcusable.

I use CarPlay and it works fine? The only piece I really want is Waze. I imagine it depends on the automaker on how well it is implemented.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Waze is amazing I love it so much. It's saved me from at least 3 tickets. Not to mention avoiding traffic jams.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Yeah, I don’t know what you’re talking about. CarPlay works fine. But I’d love to hear a list of these shortcomings.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I use CarPlay and it works fine? The only piece I really want is Waze. I imagine it depends on the automaker on how well it is implemented.

carplay is fine, but it seems unlikely that apple will allow any map app other than waze (most likely because its owned by google) which sucks.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The only map app available is Apple maps. This would be fine if it were as good as Waze or Google Maps but it just isn't. It rarely does traffic well and about once every six months it will notify me of an accident or police which means the feature is there but it's just never working. I can't set multiple stops on my trip either.

I use Soundcloud and Amazon music a lot and neither of them have a Carplay app. When I hit "Now Playing" from the home screen it's a crapshoot as to whether or not it will actually open and let me see track information or controls or whatever. However it will always open if I open the app itself on the phone. It would be better if I could have the navigation running on the screen in the car head unit and the music app on the phone but it can only show one thing at a time on both displays because it's designed for you to never need to look at the phone when using it, but due to shortcomings you kind of do.

When I open Podcasts, most of the time nothing loads until I take the phone and open it on the phone itself so that it gives it its full attention. Messages and Pandora sometimes do this as well.

Maybe some of this is my fault for daring to use a two year old phone or a cheaper headunit (SPH-DA120) but all in all it really feels buggy and cumbersome and limited and not at all like an Apple experience. Most of the time I use it I need to do something on the phone itself, instead of just leaving it in the console like you'd think you'd be able to.

Yeah it’s still better than most car infotainment systems, and I use it, but I’m disappointed and I feel like this is the kind of area where Apple should do really well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think they're also terribly loving frightened about the liability of allowing an app over which they don't have complete control to be used while driving. Given that it's a legal problem and not a tech problem, I don't see it being fixed any time soon.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

GM could really drastically improve their product across the entire range by developing a common infotainment system that isn’t a godamned abomination.

CarPlay/AndroidPlay or whatever needs more attention both from the Automotive OEs, as well as from the iOS/Android teams. It’s like, 85% of a solution, but not quite where it should be, yet.

I just heard a thing where the latest GM infotainment thing will let you order a Starbucks from the touchscreen so I guess they're trying?? :shepicide:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

I think they're also terribly loving frightened about the liability of allowing an app over which they don't have complete control to be used while driving. Given that it's a legal problem and not a tech problem, I don't see it being fixed any time soon.

There's several apps that car play runs that aren't owned by apple

Amazon music
Overcast (iOS 11 podcast app is trash anyway)
Pandora (lol who uses this in 2017)
Spotify

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
And Google Play Music.

GM and FCA have the best ICE imho. Which is sad but they're not as bad to deal with on a day to day basis as the choices from Honda or Toyota.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

euphronius posted:

Waze is amazing I love it so much. It's saved me from at least 3 tickets. Not to mention avoiding traffic jams.

I trusted Waze today and I swear to god it sent me on the worst drat most congested route possible. I guess there weren't enough Waze users on that road or something.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

TheWevel posted:

And Google Play Music.

GM and FCA have the best ICE imho. Which is sad but they're not as bad to deal with on a day to day basis as the choices from Honda or Toyota.

I was quite happy with Toyota’s new infotainment system in the 2018 Camry. They don’t have CarPlay and use some weird janky system called Entune so that’s the downside.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

I trusted Waze today and I swear to god it sent me on the worst drat most congested route possible. I guess there weren't enough Waze users on that road or something.

I used Waze once and I sent me to the worst on ramp straight into a traffic jam, I was better off just checking google maps before I leave work and making a guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm gonna take this infotainment opportunity to once again bitch about the Microsoft UVO system in my 2012 Optima, just because it insists on playing songs alphabetically by ID3 tag song title, so I edit every song to add the track number before the song title in every album before putting it on my usb drive. If I load Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction and Welcome to the Jungle isn't the very first song I hear you done hosed up Microsoft!