Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Earthworm Jim 1/2 and 3d are also in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

MDK 2.

Do it. No sarcasm. An excellent game. :colbert:
First MDK, too. Can't decide which I enjoyed more. 2 controls more fluidly - much more like you'd expect from a modern game - but at the same time, I kind of liked the levels in the first MDK more (and the lack of easily aiming up/down outside of sniping isn't too huge a deal, with its generous auto-aiming).

LogicalFallacy posted:

Earthworm Jim 1/2 and 3d are also in there.
Shame it's the DOS versions of 1 and 2, which are missing stages each (no Intestinal Distress in the first, no Lorenzen's Soil in the second - also no Big Bruty, but I hate Big Bruty, so that's probably just as well). You could do a lot worse than them, of course (the HD rerelease was pretty abhorrent, at least in the audio department, remixing the soundtrack based on the inferior SNES version instead of the redbook audio CD versions and redubbing Jim's voice with a really bad soundalike), and it's almost certainly worth the $1.50 it drops to when you buy, like, four or more games in the bundle.

3D is trash. I still have fond memories of it, as looking forward to it was a big part of my childhood, but the end result was definitely a let-down. The first world's good enough, but once you reach the food level and quickly realize how few checkpoints there are, and how much they expect you to do in one go... egh. Plus, I swear the game looked completely different in previews, so I have no idea what the hell happened to it. Awesome soundtrack, though, even if I'm not familiar with Ged Grimes's other work.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Play Giants and MDK on easy. They came from that late 90s PC game Shiny era where they expected the player to abuse quick saves.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Woolie Wool posted:

Why isn't there a Doom furniture texture set?

Any texture set can be a Doom furniture texture set if you believe in yourself.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Toonstruck is a great adventure game with an all-star voice cast.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The placement of this poster rack was well thought-out

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Doomguy is a rolemodel for all ages and genders :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

You can be anything
You can be Doomguy

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

lOOl

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

A Doomguy Barbie would probably be Crash from Q3A.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not quite shooters, but are Aquanox or Aquanox 2 worth a shake these days? They're on sale for under 2bux on GOG.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

And yet none of them are the cool cover.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Sean Payton must be fired.

Arivia posted:

You can be anything
You can be Doomguy

Stealing this.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 29, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doomgirl Barbie sounds like money waiting to be made

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH-sWHfr56U

Things still to do:

- Texture all the concrete stuff which will make me want to die
- Deal with the hell that is 3D sector shadows/lighting to make it not so flat
- Open the rain sound effect in audacity and crank that poo poo down because it's loud as hell by default
- Decorate the wooden walls a little more, maybe more windows or outcroppings or something, I dunno

Other than that, it's starting to look like the way I imagined it would! :toot:

edit: and no, I have not been working on this for like 12 hours, I know it seems that way based on my posts in the thread lol

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Vines would look good on that mansion, but it looks quite nice.

Just finished Ultimate Challenge! That's all of classic Wolfenstein complete! Now, what's a good Wolfenstein mod for Halloween? Not the Halloween pack for Eisenfaust Legacy, that's some weird puzzle bullshit.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 29, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

catlord posted:

Ooh, good idea. And thanks!

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Also, if you're cool with messing with SNDINFO or SNDSEQ (i can't remember which and I'm phoneposting right now) you can adjust the volume of various sounds there.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

esselfortium posted:

Any texture set can be a Doom furniture texture set if you believe in yourself.

You made the BTSX train station couches with custom textures and they are vastly superior to any other Doom furniture I've ever seen, don't bullshit me.

catlord posted:

Just finished Ultimate Challenge! That's all of classic Wolfenstein complete! Now, what's a good Wolfenstein mod for Halloween? Not the Halloween pack for Eisenfaust Legacy, that's some weird puzzle bullshit.

Coming of the Storm if you can tolerate janky DOS mods. Also I can't believe you played all those lovely Lost Episodes maps.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 29, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woolie Wool posted:

Coming of the Storm if you can tolerate janky DOS mods. Also I can't believe you played all those lovely Lost Episodes maps.

Most of them were fine. A few more than I would have liked required finding secrets to progress, but I only had enough of a problem with the last couple in Ultimate Challenge where I had to check a full map rather than the automap of ECWolf. As for mods, I'm not sure I really can tolerate janky DOS mods. I'm just super spoiled by modern things, like easy strafing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

And yet none of them are the cool cover.
Stealing this.

Isn't that revenant one on the right the cool cover?

And go for it. I'm curious what you're doing though.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Arivia posted:

Isn't that revenant one on the right the cool cover?

And go for it. I'm curious what you're doing though.

This is the cool cover:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH-sWHfr56U

Things still to do:

- Open the rain sound effect in audacity and crank that poo poo down because it's loud as hell by default

Did the game engine automatically duck the rain sound when you went under that overhang? Pretty cool either way. Also yea ivy would look pretty good, I assume you're building some kind of Resident Evil 1 remake here so abusing the vines and marble texture wouldn't look out of place.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I fired up Eradicator which was lying around since a steam sale a while ago. I'll say pretty cool and worth a look overall, I like the 90s vibe and some decent level design. Pretty atmospheric, and funny voice lines like "Just the vent I'm looking for!". Ultimately though the level design's progression puzzles are a bit too obscure for me and I ran around as you do. I wonder if one thing was actually a bug, I went past a beam that lowered a wall, then I went back and got rid of the thing powering the beam, but couldn't find a way to raise the wall. Well, that's my story.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Wow, what a mansion!
Stop it. Don't open that door!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

That was too close! You were almost a Doomguy Sandwich :downs:

CJacobs for your next trick, learn how to trigger custom sound files when the player moves over a linedef immediately following a crusher trap.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Takes No Damage posted:

That was too close! You were almost a Doomguy Sandwich :downs:

"Doomguy, this house is dangerous.There are terrible demons. Ouch!"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shadow Hog posted:

Work this into the map, somehow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XyghKl72R0

Max Wilco posted:

"Doomguy, this house is dangerous.There are terrible demons. Ouch!"

I like how it sounds like he stubbed his toe rather than getting mauled.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

catlord posted:

Now, what's a good Wolfenstein mod for Halloween? Not the Halloween pack for Eisenfaust Legacy, that's some weird puzzle bullshit.

There are surprisingly many Halloween themed Wolf3d mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTJaeM0tIYo

There was another one, where you were running around neighbourhood, shooting mutated trick-or-treaters, but can't find it now.

Alternatively, you can play this survival horror minigame made on Wolf3d's engine: http://www.moddb.com/mods/witching-hour/

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to get the 3D floors working in Doom? I've been off-and-ok working on a level for a while but it's pretty stock Doom at this point. I haven't really tried doing much with the "new" feature set yet, so I figure 3D floors is a good place to start.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Pathos posted:

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to get the 3D floors working in Doom? I've been off-and-ok working on a level for a while but it's pretty stock Doom at this point. I haven't really tried doing much with the "new" feature set yet, so I figure 3D floors is a good place to start.
I found the zdoom wiki's explanation to be quite helpful, and quite a few of the pages there will have linked tutorials or examples/example wads.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

Play Giants and MDK on easy. They came from that late 90s PC game Shiny era where they expected the player to abuse quick saves.

MDK didn't ship with quicksaves - those weren't added til the later US release and I completed the game before the patch was available for EU copies.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

MDK isn't that hard up until last two levels. If you know how to circle-strafe and don't hoard the grenades, things should go smoothly. That said, it's an absolutely great game, like Quake mixed with Tomb Raider and dash Earthworm Jim'esque crazyness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MDK 2 is the best game with a shotgun toaster that fires ricocheting radioactive toast I've ever played.

edit: by which I mean, it's a great game, play it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have the Wii port of MDK 2 which allegedly didn't sell well enough for the devs to get a cut since Nintendo has a threshold.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Got an ACS question for you scripting savants out there. How do I make it so that an item spawned with acs scripting also has a script attached to it? For example, I have a key that spawns a gun elsewhere in the level at a mapspot via a script. What I want is, when the player picks up the gun that spawns, another script executes that spawns some enemies... but I can't figure out how to attach the second script to the gun.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Got an ACS question for you scripting savants out there. How do I make it so that an item spawned with acs scripting also has a script attached to it? For example, I have a key that spawns a gun elsewhere in the level at a mapspot via a script. What I want is, when the player picks up the gun that spawns, another script executes that spawns some enemies... but I can't figure out how to attach the second script to the gun.

When you spawn something with ACS, you get an optional parameter to give that spawned thing a TID. See documentation, it's the third parameter for SpawnSpot but the fourth for Thing_Spawn.

Once you've spawned your thing, use its TID to give it a special with SetThingSpecial.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cat Mattress posted:

When you spawn something with ACS, you get an optional parameter to give that spawned thing a TID. See documentation, it's the third parameter for SpawnSpot but the fourth for Thing_Spawn.

Once you've spawned your thing, use its TID to give it a special with SetThingSpecial.

Nice, thanks! I appreciate all the help you more experienced folk have given me, it's allowed me to make leaps and bounds in mean enemy ambush technology. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-29-bulletstorm-remaster-dated-for-2017-published-by-borderlands-studio-gearbox

Urgh, Gearbox, but also hooray for a rerelease.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It was rumoured quite a while back, good to see a decent confirmation. Good game that easily could be excellent, if not for sub-par PC release and devs basically saying "if the game lags on your computer, then buy a console lol". Oh and basically no mulitplayer except anemic co-op invasion mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSz0XGUZXmY

I spent this morning scripting that arena sequence I've been talking about for the past few days! Making it vaguely match the music was fun.

edit: By the way, there are a couple more cacodemons that didn't spawn because enemies were standing in the way. :downs: Enemies don't spawn if there's already something standing on its mapspot when it's time for it to spawn, so I suppose that works as a failsafe for the arena getting too crowded!

(also yeah I realize the shotgun pickup sprite is massive, sizing it down is on my to-do list)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 29, 2016