Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've got the latest version of Safari, macOS, an M1 Mac Mini, and a Magic Mouse.

Often Safari's scrolling will start "hitching", where I'm scrolling down a website smoothly and suddenly the scrolling will stop. If I scroll a few times it'll start up again.

As far as I can tell it's a Safari problem: quitting and launching Safari will solve it for a while, then it'll come back.

It'll happen on a text-only website as well as a bloated, Javascript-ridden mess.

Has anyone come across this? As far as I know it's survived a few macOS and Safari updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Zenostein posted:

There's a checkbox to automatically rearrange spaces based on use in the mission control prefpane. Unchecking that ought to do the trick.

this was it, chief

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I just got a new MacBook Pro, first time in ten years that macOS has been on my primary device. I’ve got all my productivity apps sorted that I need for work, and mail clients, browsers and such, but I want to know if there are any other essential apps for just day-to-day use of a macOS. Like window management, shortcuts, etc. how should I set up hotcorners, do I bother with mission control or expose or whatever. I usually don’t worry about creating shortcuts to apps, I’m in the habit on windows of just typing in to the search bar the first two letters of whatever app I want and it comes up, I’m pleased to see that spotlight is VERY snappy for doing that. :)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tiles is a must. So is VLC. Skim is great if you deal with PDFs a lot.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
VLC I already had, but Skim and Tiles are both great suggestions that will help. Thank you, Kotex, God of Blood.

What else do I need?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AppCleaner is great for when apps gently caress up and you need to completely remove and reinstall.

GrandPerspective lets you figure out what is taking up all the room on your drive.

EasyFind is, well, for when you really need to find something.

RansomWhere is great for peace of mind.

Aerial lets you have dope Apple TV screensavers on your Mac.

Malwarebytes is a must have, and it's free.

Paprika is expensive but probably my favorite Mac/iOS app of all. If you cook and use recipes, you will LOVE this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 26, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Here's my "huh My Mac feels broken, oh! I forgot to install these" utilities for when I set up a new computer.
* Get Plain Text (automatically (or with a key command) strip all the formatting out of that rich text you just copied)
* Alfred (enhances the 'just type' functionality of Spotlight for triggering things, has some good clipboard tools and automation that I don't make good use of — but as Spotlight has gotten better, this has become less essential)
* The Unarchiver (free zip utility)

Here's my "I miss having these" utilities for when I set up a new computer.
* Bumpr (allows you to decide which browser opens a link when you click on it in another app)
* Bartender 4 (allows you to dynamically show and hide the little icons on the top right menu bar)
* Hush (Blocks a lot of the nag javascript that pops up on browsers and is free)
* Tot (highly opinionated and limited note sync app — definitely an acquired taste)
* Simplenote (Cloud based note syncing app — probably if I was starting fresh, I'd just use Apple's built in Notes but I've got like a decade of searchable text in there that I use constantly)
* BBedit (powerful plain text editor — the free version has more than enough power for my needs)
* Soulver 3 (hybrid notepad and calculator)

I don't use hot corners but my spouse is big into them. I do use all the trackpad gestures for flying between spaces, showing windows, revealing desktop.

Once you've used the computer for a few days, I really suggest spending time with the system preferences. There's a lot of options in there. I wouldn't do it immediately. There is some benefit to trying out the defaults and seeing how you like the computer "as intended". And then customize to your heart's content.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Karabiner to remap the caps lock key. Also I prefer IINA to VLC on macs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Installing all this stuff with homebrew is also a huge improvement. All this poo poo nags you for updates and you can take care of the whole mess with "brew upgrade" on a terminal.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Anyone have an equivalent to Hands Off! ?

(Think like Little Snitch, but it had an additional component where it could monitor processes' file access and allow/prevent them from accessing resources on a file-by-file or directory-by-directory basis. I found the latter was the most useful part of it.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

💩💩💩 -= Monterey 12.2 and Big Sur 11.6.3 are out! =- 💩💩💩

Includes that Safari tracking fix and hopefully ProMotion for Safari on 14/16 inch M1 MBPs.

Edit: the 12.2 update includes Safari 15.3 which fixes the database tracking bug.

Big Sur 11.6.3 update doesn't include Safari 15.3, guess that'll be a separate update for Big Sur users.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 26, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IINA is the best video viewer on MacOS no question. Highly highly highly recommend it if you ever watch any video files on your Mac.

Also OpenEMU is the best emulator in the world and I really really wish it worked on my PC.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Forum Joe posted:

I just got a new MacBook Pro, first time in ten years that macOS has been on my primary device. I’ve got all my productivity apps sorted that I need for work, and mail clients, browsers and such, but I want to know if there are any other essential apps for just day-to-day use of a macOS. Like window management, shortcuts, etc. how should I set up hotcorners, do I bother with mission control or expose or whatever. I usually don’t worry about creating shortcuts to apps, I’m in the habit on windows of just typing in to the search bar the first two letters of whatever app I want and it comes up, I’m pleased to see that spotlight is VERY snappy for doing that. :)

AppCleaner
mpv
Keybaord Maestro (paid, but it's a godsend)
Marta
Emacs ;)
LittleSnith
Bartender
BetterTouchTool
DaisyDisk
iMazing
KeepingYouAwake
Raycast or Alfred; both are good

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

doingitwrong posted:

There is some benefit to trying out the defaults and seeing how you like the computer "as intended".
This is my main recommendation for somebody new to Macs, especially coming from Windows. Try using it as-is for a while, don’t come in expecting to have to fight everything or assuming every system app is trash. You’ll find little things that annoy you over time and there will probably be tools to fix them but don’t overload on other people’s workflow utilities at the start until you know what you actually need.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TACD posted:

This is my main recommendation for somebody new to Macs, especially coming from Windows. Try using it as-is for a while, don’t come in expecting to have to fight everything or assuming every system app is trash. You’ll find little things that annoy you over time and there will probably be tools to fix them but don’t overload on other people’s workflow utilities at the start until you know what you actually need.

Seconding this 100%

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d agree and say give the iCloud stuff a try too, especially if you already have an Apple ID. The syncing is really wonderful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kilometers Davis posted:

Seconding this 100%

Thirding. Even if you get everything working per your own built-up idiosyncratic preferences, every time you touch another Mac or some other Mac user touches your computer it's going to be a WHAT THE gently caress moment. My roommate who does all the house IT still stubbornly refuses to get with the "phone-like scroll direction" program on his own machine, and every time he touches my computer to fiddle with something he goes into a rage.

It also makes it unnecessarily painful every time you have to reinstall or upgrade or do anything in any environment other than your own.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 27, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

💩💩 Safari 15.3 is out for Big Sur / Catalina users! 💩💩

Safari 15.3 fixes the indexedDB bug that allows websites to peek at your history.

A page to test if your Safari is vulnerable is here: https://safarileaks.com

This version of Safari is NOT included in the recent Big Sur 11.6.3 update or Security Update 2022-001 Catalina update, check System Prefs / Software Update to get it

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Thirding. Even if you get everything working per your own built-up idiosyncratic preferences, every time you touch another Mac or some other Mac user touches your computer it's going to be a WHAT THE gently caress moment. My roommate who does all the house IT still stubbornly refuses to get with the "phone-like scroll direction" program on his own machine, and every time he touches my computer to fiddle with something he goes into a rage.

It also makes it unnecessarily painful every time you have to reinstall or upgrade or do anything in any environment other than your own.

Yeah this is why I really like command line stuff

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tuyop posted:

Yeah this is why I really like command line stuff
On that subject, what do people recommend for dotfile synchronisation? I already have Oh My Zsh if there’s an extension for that (TBH I feel like I’m vastly underutilising that tool)

Edit: I’ve also seen Git Does Dotfiles but there’s so many options there I don’t really know where to start

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

Karabiner to remap the caps lock key.

Depending on what you want it to do, you may not need karabiner anymore. They added it to the modifier keys in the keyboard pref pane so you can make it be escape or whatever.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

TACD posted:

On that subject, what do people recommend for dotfile synchronisation? I already have Oh My Zsh if there’s an extension for that (TBH I feel like I’m vastly underutilising that tool)

Edit: I’ve also seen Git Does Dotfiles but there’s so many options there I don’t really know where to start

ChezMoi

If that feels like overkill, just create a dotfiles git(hub) repo, stick everything there, and make a symlink to them in ~. Then you can just git push/pull to sync changes across machines.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you upgraded to Monterey 12.2 you might be experiencing an unexpected battery drain..

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/30/macos-12-2-bluetooth-battery-drain/

According to the usual sources, some folks on the MRF, Reddit and Twitter are reporting that something wonky is going on Bluetooth / wake / sleep.

Seems to happen on both Intel and M1 machines.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bluetooth is consistently the most janky, bug-riddled technology in modern hardware. I hate it and I will yell at this cloud until they invent a new one.

Lawen posted:

ChezMoi

If that feels like overkill, just create a dotfiles git(hub) repo, stick everything there, and make a symlink to them in ~. Then you can just git push/pull to sync changes across machines.
I’ll give this a go, cheers 👍🏻

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gary Geaves, VP of acoustics at Apple literally stopped short of pissing on Bluetooth:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/is-bluetooth-holding-back-apples-airpods-we-asked-the-man-who-made-them

So Apple themselves don't particularly like it, but it -is- a cross platform standard..

Further in the bugs department, there are also people reporting that some Metal-based programs are showing graphic glitching under Monterey, all versions, and the only fix is to go back to Big Sur or Catalina.

The graphic bug involves pixel garbage showing around the edges of Control Center, the login screen, the Dock, and numerous other places, and chiefly seems to be affecting Macs with Iris GPUs, from 2014 Minis to 2020 MBAs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bluetooth 5 is great. My speaker connects in like 1.5 seconds and lasts months between charges. I really don't know why so many people have issues with Bluetooth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I switch between bluetooth speakers and headphones on my desktop PC every day with no problems.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Adding to the chorus: I have about four sets of outputs (headphones, car audio, work-site speaker) that I variously connect to three different inputs (phone, laptop,tablet) and I never have any issues with Bluetooth. It’s basically seem less for me…
I’m curious, what are the problems.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Forum Joe posted:

Literally just this morning I turned on my headphones, and they connected to my Mac as usual. Except no sound was coming out (and no, it wasn’t on mute). Disconnected and reconnected them, and now sound was coming out of Music.app but not Safari. WTF?

I’ll frequently get microstutters while playing back audio – less so after recent updates, but it’s something that Should Not Happen with a supposedly mature technology.

I’ve previously owned a Bluetooth shower speaker, and my partner and I had to ask the other to disable Bluetooth if we wanted to use it to prevent the ‘wrong’ phone from pairing to the speaker. I’ve had my partner’s phone connect itself to the speaker even when it was already paired to her headset; I was in the shower enjoying some tunes and then suddenly the speaker beeps and I’m hearing a confused person saying “hello? you there?”. This is pathologically broken behaviour.

Bluetooth is just a constant hassle of diagnosing opaque pairing and connectivity issues outside of the simplest use cases and the fact that it crops up as an issue so often with OS updates really makes me suspicious that’s it’s poorly conceived on a very fundamental level.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Forum Joe posted:

The current problem for Monterey 12.2 users is that there's a battery drain issue, if you put your laptop to sleep while on battery only and connected to one or more devices overnight, it could be drained by the time you open it up in the morning.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I think someone upthread had a way to force the CMD+TAB application switcher to always open on a specific display instead of the default behavior, where it opens on whichever display that you most recently moused over the Dock. Whatever the solution was, it worked for months but now it's stopped and I can't remember where the setting was and I can't find the post. Does anyone remember how to pin it to a specific display? I've already set the desired monitor as the "Main" display and moved the menubar onto it in Display prefs but the app switcher isn't staying put.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I have AirPods Max and PowerBeats Pro that I switch between that CONSTANTLY refuse to output audio for no apparent reason, typically requiring multiple manual disconnects and reconnects even when ostensibly connected and selected as the correct output, but it will happen to one of them at least once a day.

Music.app is especially bad at this, its like it doesn't properly check or get informed which device is actually on my head/in my ears even though the OS seems to be aware of it. Baffling and infuriating. This happens whether on the dock, just plugged into the wall or fully mobile. [2018 MBP 15, macOS12.1]

The context switching awareness works way better on my MacPro3,1 with an upgraded bluetooth/wifi miniPCIe card, on Mojave, which is loving hilarious IMO.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Crunchy Black posted:

I have AirPods Max and PowerBeats Pro that I switch between that CONSTANTLY refuse to output audio for no apparent reason, typically requiring multiple manual disconnects and reconnects even when ostensibly connected and selected as the correct output, but it will happen to one of them at least once a day.

Music.app is especially bad at this, its like it doesn't properly check or get informed which device is actually on my head/in my ears even though the OS seems to be aware of it. Baffling and infuriating. This happens whether on the dock, just plugged into the wall or fully mobile. [2018 MBP 15, macOS12.1]

The context switching awareness works way better on my MacPro3,1 with an upgraded bluetooth/wifi miniPCIe card, on Mojave, which is loving hilarious IMO.
Maybe try updating to 12.2 if you can, they've completely re-written Music.app in AppKit so it might help at least for that app.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Edit: found an app called Gamepad Mapper that worked. In App Store but had to find with a web search.

I picked up a Logitech f301 gamepad on impulse at the store, unaware at the time that Logitech has no gamepad software for Mac.

While I’ve figured out how to get it connected to my M1 Air and working with games that support it, I’d like to use it for others that would usually need keyboard input. Is there a key mapping app that works? The free one (JoyKeyMapper) doesn’t recognize it, Controllers is $20 and not on the App Store, and Joystick Mapper is $5 and on the App Store but has mixed reviews. I’m less inclined to throw another $20 at this rather than order a gamepad with better support, but that would mean waiting a couple of days and maybe someone out there is happily using a keymapped f301 on their Mac?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 6, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What's a good mouse for Mac OS? I tried the Logitech MX master 3 and it's DOA out of the box

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's a good mouse for Mac OS? I tried the Logitech MX master 3 and it's DOA out of the box

Get Logitech to send you another one, because that one's top-tier.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

ThermoPhysical posted:

Magic Trackpad 2. I swear Apple spends more on Touch than their Mouse offerings by a lot.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Magic Trackpad 2 is by far the best way to use macOS (although it takes a little getting used to.) If you must use a mouse, yeah, the MX Master 3 is the best, just get them to send you a new one.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Mercurius posted:

Maybe try updating to 12.2 if you can, they've completely re-written Music.app in AppKit so it might help at least for that app.

I will when I get home next week, but it’s been an issue since Mojave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I also really like the Logitech M720 ("Performance Plus" at Costco); it's $20 on sale regularly, can be used between three devices, and holds up well.