Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

How did you know high school notebook margin doodle level art was my fetish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

A bunch of the cards required major rewrites to work in Tanto Cuore (and for my basic sanity, jeez did the Dominion designer never play Magic?).

He didn't just play Magic, he literally helped write the rules to Magic. Which might have something to do with Dominion's writing being very clear and good.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
There's an Amazon sale on board games today and I'm looking for recommendations. The only thing I have on the whole list is Tokaido.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_...t=featured-rank

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

cosmicjim posted:

There's an Amazon sale on board games today and I'm looking for recommendations. The only thing I have on the whole list is Tokaido.

How is Broom Service, specifically with 2 players? The rules seem pretty straightforward and I like that it is modular, but I'm not sure how well the brave/cowardly mechanic would work with 2.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

He didn't just play Magic, he literally helped write the rules to Magic. Which might have something to do with Dominion's writing being very clear and good.

Was it like the first set of Magic? Because that is how some of the Dominion cards are written. The language he uses is not the standardized kind used in Magic cards today, thats for sure!

Sailor Viy posted:

How can you say that Tanto Cuore is mechanically superior when, by your own admission, you don't understand high level Dominion strategy and were 'playing it wrong' the whole time.

It has better bones. I have read many reviews that compare the game, from advanced users and they all say "Tanto Cuore is best"

quote:

Tanto Cuore by far. Dominion's need-for-greening implies an immediate anti-pattern for me, that is, the game slows itself down for the sake of victory. The fact that in Tanto Cuore you can buy cards that act as VP, can work in concert with other cards, and continue to build your engine means the game stays fast and tense, everyone watches everyone else to get a rough idea of who's in the lead. Also, Private Maids are a good flair which forces other players to decide when to act in gote and remove that card from play.

quote:

I've got all three. Truthfully, Romantic Vacation actually speeds up the game because the utility of buying certain-cost cards becomes so much more, than it should speed up over slowing down. Tanto Cuore is tense, but like a careful buildup kind of tension. All three of the sets become this insane loving shootout of buying and comboing.

quote:

I have to agree with this. With the Expanding the House expansion, some of the maids can be put into Estates and "protected" which is great, and helps decrease deck clutter while also giving you additional VP. In Dominion your VP cards are just stagnant and just clog up your deck. I have to say Tanto Cuore for me is the better game by far and doesn't have such a boring theme.

quote:

Tanto Cuore also seems more interactive than Dominion. I realize that Dominion does have some interactive cards. Seaside has them, another reason that it's my favorite set in Dominon.

One other thing I like about Tanto Cuore is that the physical size of each set is smaller. I often just take one set of Tanto Cuore rather than all three when I head out to a game meetup. It takes up less physical space than Dominion Seaside (the only set of Dominion that I own).

One thing Tanto Cuore could use is some expansion on its existing card types. A couple of extra Events, Buildings, and Private Maids might be nice.

Overall, Tanto Cuore is my favorite deck building game both thematically and mechanically. I rarely mix sets together, but doing so hasn't detracted much from the games I've played. Dominion Seaside is enjoyable for me, but I don't enjoy Dominion as much when all the sets are mixed together. Unfortunately, most of the people I know who play Dominion prefer that style of play.

quote:

Dominion has more variety and potential for big combos and engines.. but Tanto Cuore has more strategic depth and is more interactive.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 6, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

Was it like the first set of Magic? Because that is how some of the Dominion cards are written. The language he uses is not the standardized kind used in Magic cards today, thats for sure!

It was the sixth edition rules overhaul.

Dominion has some of the best card-writing I've seen in a board game, because the writing ensures that the answer to pretty much any rules question can be determined by simply reading the card -- and it manages that with a 4-page rulebook instead of a 400-page rulebook. Care to provide some examples of how Dominion is badly-written?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

It has better bones. I have read many reviews that compare the game, from advanced users and they all say "Tanto Cuore is best"

I know I'm breaking the cardinal rule here, but there was some discussion about what makes Dominion and deckbuilders in general tick a couple pages ago and I wanted to expound on that anyhow.

Dominion's greening mechanic is brilliant and every deckbuilder that tries to "fix" it is garbage. Dominion uses green cards as an elegant way to unobtrusively level the playing field and slow things down to create a more deliberate, more competitive, and more strategic experience. Ascension is the only other deckbuilder I'm really familiar with and it demonstrates what happens when you take the pillar of Dominion's excellent design and gut it: luck of the draw takes over since drawing a big hand early gives you an advantage in your points and in your engine at the same time. Making VP cards inert means that the same deck is less likely to have massive swings in effectiveness depending on whether it draws 5 coins or 8 coins on turn 5.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Speaking of Dominion, how does Valley of the Kings compare?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dominion has some of the best card-writing I've seen in a board game, because the writing ensures that the answer to pretty much any rules question can be determined by simply reading the card -- and it manages that with a 4-page rulebook instead of a 400-page rulebook. Care to provide some examples of how Dominion is badly-written?

Its not badly written, just a little awkward at times (like older Magic Cards). Its always exactly precise in its meaning though, I will give you that. :shrug:

Gabriel Pope posted:

I know I'm breaking the cardinal rule here, but there was some discussion about what makes Dominion and deckbuilders in general tick a couple pages ago and I wanted to expound on that anyhow.

Dominion's greening mechanic is brilliant and every deckbuilder that tries to "fix" it is garbage. Dominion uses green cards as an elegant way to unobtrusively level the playing field and slow things down to create a more deliberate, more competitive, and more strategic experience. Ascension is the only other deckbuilder I'm really familiar with and it demonstrates what happens when you take the pillar of Dominion's excellent design and gut it: luck of the draw takes over since drawing a big hand early gives you an advantage in your points and in your engine at the same time. Making VP cards inert means that the same deck is less likely to have massive swings in effectiveness depending on whether it draws 5 coins or 8 coins on turn 5.

Tanto Cuore is not Ascension! The "greening" mechanic is still a big part of Tanto Cuore (many of the "Provence" level victory Maids can not be chambered at all). What Tanto Cuore does is give you more options regarding how to deal with the problem (chambering and other removal mechanics).

This is counterbalanced with a lot more direct attacking cards. If you chamber all of your maids out of your deck your opponent can buy cheap "Illness" cards and destroy all of your Victory Points.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2016

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Demon_Corsair posted:

I prefer VotK. There pretty different games though. VotK is about set building and market manipulation, particularly since the market is guaranteed to shift every turn.
The way the market works, makes it less of a straight engine builder like Dominion, and the fact that cards are either actions or money message the choices are quite different.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

foxxtrot posted:

I prefer VotK. There pretty different games though. VotK is about set building and market manipulation, particularly since the market is guaranteed to shift every turn.
The way the market works, makes it less of a straight engine builder like Dominion, and the fact that cards are either actions or money message the choices are quite different.

If I just want to grab one should I go for the original or afterlife?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

What should I know before playing Viticulture/Tuscany?

You can't place a worker on an action simply to grab the bonus and/or block the other players. You must be able to perform that action.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I was like "Is this true? I never heard of it." Yes, appearantly.

Wizards website: January 15, 1999 posted:

I also worked with many top rules experts outside of Wizards, like Collin "Gammavirus" Jackson, Dan Gray, Dave DeLaney, David Sachs, DonaldX, Jeff Jordan, Michael "Meowse" Phoenix, Stephen D'Angelo, and Paul Barclay. We didn't always agree on all the answers (just ask DonaldX about triggered abilities), but we always discussed all the issues and the vast majority of us are extremely pleased with the final product.

Emphasis mine. I wonder how he wanted triggered abilities to work.

Also, that rules change was 16 and a half years ago and I remember it happening :negative:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

after finally playing valley of the kings, i really really liked it a lot. much better than any other "market row" type deck builders

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Demon_Corsair posted:

If I just want to grab one should I go for the original or afterlife?

VotK : A has more direct interaction/attack cards. They're both fun and neither is very obviously superior. Still, probably Afterlife.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cosmicjim posted:

Off that list, these are good:

Evolution
Shakespeare
Thebes
Fresco
Progress: Evolution of Technology

Arena of the Planeswalkers I haven't played, but it's based on Heroscape and that was good.

Don't buy Hengist because it's poo poo.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demon_Corsair posted:

I like them both. I think they're complimentary. VotK is the only market row I've ever seen that's actually well implemented, and it's a nice change of pace from the randomized kingdom set-up of Dominion. Also, most Dominion I play is digital, since setting the game up itself is sort of a pain. VotK sets up quickly and is far more portable.

In terms of gameplay, however, I prefer Dominion. I like the puzzle aspect of balancing a deck to perform versus score points, and I like the sheer variety of cards that Dominion has.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Aghama posted:

How is Broom Service, specifically with 2 players? The rules seem pretty straightforward and I like that it is modular, but I'm not sure how well the brave/cowardly mechanic would work with 2.

To compensate for only having two players, the rules select "bewitched" cards each round that count against you (3 points) if selected by players. This adds a layer of risk/reward and reduces "perfect play."

I have played it twice with just 2 players and it's a pretty solid game with that number. Yeah the brave/cowardly mechanic is sort of reduced, but there's still a lot of strategy behind it. Still one my top 20 games, given its ease of teaching and depth of strategy.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

Tigris & Euphrates is very good there.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
What was the verdict on Via Nebula? My FLGS has it currently...

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ETB posted:

To compensate for only having two players, the rules select "bewitched" cards each round that count against you (3 points) if selected by players. This adds a layer of risk/reward and reduces "perfect play."

Wait, is that ONLY in 2p? If so then the guy who taught the game I played didn't know his poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Indigo looks good and it's a Knizia game. To be fair, I'm a big fan of Tsuro

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Wait, is that ONLY in 2p? If so then the guy who taught the game I played didn't know his poo poo.

Sorry, I should be more precise. For 2 to 4 players, you have 3 to 1 Bewitched cards.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

cosmicjim posted:

Does Legends of Andor hold up well compared to some of the coop games that have come out since then? That's a pretty good discount on it.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

dropkickpikachu posted:

Does Legends of Andor hold up well compared to some of the coop games that have come out since then? That's a pretty good discount on it.

It's a weird puzzle game (with a generic fantasy theme) with fiddly setup and no replayability. I take it some people like it, and it's certainly better than, say, time stories, but I definitely would not recommend.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I watched a Rahdo video of it (probably didn't help) and it definitely looks like there are better times to be had cooperatively.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

You can also lose the game instantly by drawing the wrong card.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Marry - gently caress - Kill: Tom Vasel, Wil Wheaton, Rutibex

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

ETB posted:

Really really enjoying it here. Can't speak to the gooncensus yet but throwing a recommendation into the ring.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

why would you do this

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

M - Vasel
F - Wheaton
K - Rutibex

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MrDru posted:

why would you do this

good games are all about tough choices

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Proof that no gaming is better than bad gaming.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dropkickpikachu posted:

M - Vasel
F - Wheaton
K - Rutibex

I would switch around Vasel and Wheaton. I think Tom Vasel has like 8 kids, I fear marrying him might involve a lot more sex than one night. Plus Wheaton is loaded from Star Trek and Big Bang Theory money.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ETB posted:

I like it a lot for a light-medium weight game. My friends like it as well. I think it's going to be the hit of the summer.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition first play trip report:

I'll get the bad out of the way first. The component quality for the figures and their bases is not at all what I have come to expect from FFG products. The figures are all a softer, more bendable plastic than other FFG games. I don't recall if this was the same for MoM 1st edition, but I constantly felt like the monsters were going to bend and snap while setting them on the bases. It doesn't help that many of the monsters have only 1 peg to slot in to the base on a thin arm or something. Really weird design choice for a lot of these pieces. The pegs on the monsters and holes for the bases were also extremely inconsistent. Some of the monsters had to be forced in to the slot and couldn't fit all the way in, but a few others had pegs too small and they do not stay on the bases at all. The molding process also seemed like it was weird as some of the smaller features are muddy looking. Kind of a disappointment coming from IA and Descent 2nd edition which both have really great figures.

Most of the rest of the game seems pretty good. It definitely has the same "mystery dungeon crawl" feel as the original game did, but instead of a 1 hour set up time there is a 0 minute set up time as you pretty much grab characters and go. The app does a great job keeping track of exploration, searching, and monster attacks/damage and rules have been streamlined well enough to easily pick up and play. Having the puzzles on the app is also great, as they were fairly clunky in the first edition. There is a weird bit of learning curve when figuring out what exactly the app tracks or doesn't (I spent too long trying to figure out how to barricade a door on the app, but it turns out that doesn't matter at all) but by the end of the first game it had a nice flow.

The game does seem like it launched a bit content-scarce with only 4 scenarios. I'm hoping that they are varied enough to be slightly different every time you play, like with the scenario variants that MoM 1st ed. had.

I'm not sure what else to add but if you have any questions about the game let me know! We'll probably play our 2nd game tomorrow morning.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Trasson posted:

I have a very hard time deciding what the bigger crime is. Going full on creepy rear end in a top hat and shoving awful anime maid art into MSE templates and pretending you're groundbreaking is dumb enough.

But you know what shows you to be a selfish worthless rear end in a top hat? You picked this drat game because it was Dominion but with a theme you liked better, tasteless though it is. And yet you find it lacking because it doesn't have all of the same cards, and so poor little Rutibex has to go and painstakingly craft his perfect set of skeevy looking anime girls because he doesn't even have the intellectual integrity to stand by his horrible decision with all its consequences.

Congrats on stealing someone else's hard work and pretending you're accomplishing something by doing so, you rear end in a top hat. Go away. Never come back.

it's posts like these which rutibex keeps trolling for.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Re Legends of Andor I'm in the minority but I liked the game. But I have come to realize it is helpful to let people know it is a "tactically solve this specific mission of a problem with your limited time and resources" game. It is not a "stab monsters inna face to take their stuff & level up" game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition first play trip report:

I'll get the bad out of the way first. The component quality for the figures and their bases is not at all what I have come to expect from FFG products. The figures are all a softer, more bendable plastic than other FFG games. I don't recall if this was the same for MoM 1st edition, but I constantly felt like the monsters were going to bend and snap while setting them on the bases. It doesn't help that many of the monsters have only 1 peg to slot in to the base on a thin arm or something. Really weird design choice for a lot of these pieces. The pegs on the monsters and holes for the bases were also extremely inconsistent. Some of the monsters had to be forced in to the slot and couldn't fit all the way in, but a few others had pegs too small and they do not stay on the bases at all. The molding process also seemed like it was weird as some of the smaller features are muddy looking. Kind of a disappointment coming from IA and Descent 2nd edition which both have really great figures.

Most of the rest of the game seems pretty good. It definitely has the same "mystery dungeon crawl" feel as the original game did, but instead of a 1 hour set up time there is a 0 minute set up time as you pretty much grab characters and go. The app does a great job keeping track of exploration, searching, and monster attacks/damage and rules have been streamlined well enough to easily pick up and play. Having the puzzles on the app is also great, as they were fairly clunky in the first edition. There is a weird bit of learning curve when figuring out what exactly the app tracks or doesn't (I spent too long trying to figure out how to barricade a door on the app, but it turns out that doesn't matter at all) but by the end of the first game it had a nice flow.

The game does seem like it launched a bit content-scarce with only 4 scenarios. I'm hoping that they are varied enough to be slightly different every time you play, like with the scenario variants that MoM 1st ed. had.

I'm not sure what else to add but if you have any questions about the game let me know! We'll probably play our 2nd game tomorrow morning.

How mobile friendly is the app? I don't have a tablet or anything like that so i'd just have to stick it on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Got to play Kemet and Terra Mystica for the first time today!

Terra - I find it funny that a euro takes a game with different fantasy races and forces them to build settlements on the countryside (among other locations). The game isn't as daunting as it seems. I feel like some of the fiddly bits could be condensed. I also would have liked something else to differentiate between the larger buildings. The game play itself was cool, and it seemed to play fairly quickly with two people. I will agree with whoever said in the Discord that the cultists track seemed to be tacked on. I look forward to playing this again.

Kemet - Again, not as daunting as it looks. The actions are all pretty simple until you get to battle, and even battle is simple! I look the card mechanics for battle. Really wished the Dark souls game coming out would have looked into it. I was a bit confused by the difference between the Delta temple and the sanctuary of all gods. I'm too tired to ask specific questions, but it was a cool game. I picked up the expansion before I played the base game (I have a problem), and all buy the priest module seemed pretty easy to add to the base game without issue.

I also bought Sushi Go Party this weekend. I enjoy that it's a strict upgrade to the base game at the expense of portability and 5 bucks. It looks pretty solid, but the insert is terrible. All they had to do was give me enough space to store the randomizers / reference chits separately. The rule book also doesn't fit in the tin, and the board barely fits. Still excited about it.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 19, 2016