Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

spunkshui posted:

I'm just using the clamps and its actually decently flush, only like 1.5cm from the wall.

Basically just enough for cables.

oh, the distance from the wall isn't the issue, it's the desk back itself that i'm having issue with. i thought the hole cutouts in the back would be big enough for a c clamp but i underestimated how big they are, plus i just got confirmation from the company's customer service that it's actually not meant to be used with clamps so whoops lol

i might just look into this instead https://a.co/d/1cqYrUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anyone have any thoughts on this new Acer Nitro XV275K 4K monitor with FALD (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...p?skuId=6539416)?

Seems like a decent option, similar to the Cooler Master GP27U but maybe without the firmware problems? Is 576 dimming zones even enough to do much, or is it going to cause a lot of blooming/halos?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If I were to guess, it's probably using the same panel as the GP27U. Acer's firmware comes with its own set of odd quirks, like being unable to adjust overdrive settings while adaptive sync is enabled, but it's not as bad as CoolerMaster's issues. I would not expect it to solve the flickering issues when VRR and HDR are enabled at the same time, though, as that seems inherent to the panel.

HDR with 576 zones is absolutely enough to give you a dramatically improved experience over SDR in my opinion, especially at 27", though the blooming on desktop apps is going to be kinda obvious. The INNOCN 27M2V seems to have a better panel at a cheaper price according to the reviews (at its current sale price), but you'll have to deal with a lovely OSD, some firmware bugs, and substandard build quality, not to mention the hassle of getting support from a Chinese company (shipping an RMA across oceans is not fun)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 19, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it seems a bit dicey without any reviews yet; from some reddit research, some seem to think that it might not have the flickering, because I guess the AUO panel used in the GP27U, that's probably used in this one, normally comes with a specific backlight but Cooler Master opted for an alternative one backlight by KTC, while it's thought that the Acer is using AUO for panel+backlight, which maybe helps with the flickering?

I'm tempted to order it and then just return it within Best Buy's 14-day window if there's problems, but I also don't know how to properly test it for everything I should be looking for.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I looked into the panel more, and yeah, both use variants of the M270QAN07 panel series from AUO, but KTC/CoolerMaster used a custom backlight while Acer is using AUO's integrated backlight solution. That means it potentially has different characteristics when it comes to flickering, as well as the automatic brightness limiter and maybe even the color gamut. But it would have to be tested for anyone to know for sure since it being different doesn't automatically mean it's better.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 7, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was told to get a new monitor for a theoretical new pc. I think it was for a rtx 4070 but I literally have no idea what to get. :sweatdrop:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I looked into the panel more, and yeah, both use variants of the M270QAN07 panel series from AUO, but KTC/CoolerMaster used a custom backlight while Acer is using AUO's integrated backlight solution. That means it potentially has different characteristics when it comes to flickering, as well as the automatic brightness limiter and maybe even the color gamut. But it would have to be tested for anyone to know for sure since it being different doesn't automatically mean it's better.

Best Buy already put it on sale today, at $599, so I ordered one. I guess I can be the guinea pig and can report on how it is.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lawman 0 posted:

I was told to get a new monitor for a theoretical new pc. I think it was for a rtx 4070 but I literally have no idea what to get. :sweatdrop:

The standard sweet spot has been 27" 1440p high refresh rate screens for a while now, and there's plenty of affordable options. I'm not in the US but just go back and read a page or two to see what's been recommended with those specs.

edit: This, for example

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 19, 2023

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

Is the Asus PG42UQ still a great buy? I read something about som bad firmware at release.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just moved to Europe and am a bit of a fish out of water at the moment. Normally I'd have an ultrawide with all the bells and whistles, but now I'm looking for a monitor that will only be attached to a middling laptop/PS5/Switch, so I don't need more than 60hz, or an ultrawide at all , really.

With that, I'm looking for something in the 27-34" range that's decent for console gaming but not more than a few hundred euro? HDR would be nice for the PS5 if possible. At that size am I looking for 1080p or 1440p? I would hope 1440p?

And since I'm in Latvia, Amazon.de has been useful so far, I'm assuming that's where I'd go for electronics as well?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 19, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Acer is on a roll with this year's Nitro lineup it seems, bringing some good looking 1440p 240hz and 4k mini-led options at affordable prices. And now this 1440p mini-led monitor just emerged in China for the equivalent of around $280 USD, which is extremely cheap for those specs (576 zones, 170hz). The catch is that this is using a VA panel, and I've every budget VA panel I've ever seen has had terrible dark-level smearing. It will be a miracle if this manages to have good motion performance, but perhaps if it has just mediocre motion performance, that will be a justifiable trade-off for good HDR performance, especially at this price point. That is, if it makes it to western markets at all (not a guarantee). The sense I'm getting with these moves from Acer is that they want to position FALD backlights as the midrange option, with OLED being high-end and edge-lit being low-end/mainstream.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 20, 2023

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

So something like this Acer would be a good pick to get by then? https://www.amazon.de/-/en/KG272U-G...192&sr=1-1&th=1

Or is this other Acer worth the step up? https://www.amazon.de/-/en/KG272UP-...ps%2C192&sr=1-8

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 20, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, to be honest, I totally missed your post and wasn't intending to respond to it—I was just posting that monitor because I just saw that news story about it and found it interesting. I'd look for a 4K display if I were you, just for the best experience with the PS5. There are a lot of affordable 4K 60Hz displays available these days, and barely any reviews for any of them. I think most modern IPS displays should be at least decent, something like these:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ctzkcf/philips-276e8vjsb-270-3840x2160-60-hz-monitor-276e8vjsb
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/NWgQzy/samsung-u28r550-280-3840x2160-60-hz-monitor-lu28r550uqnxza

Neither of these have HDR worth using, though. I think that's a bit too much to ask for at that price point unless that Acer XV275U P3 monitor finds its way to Europe in the near future.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Cool, no worries. Just trying to get a lay of the land on what my price points should be given a much smaller scope on the use case.

Edit: on that, sanity check on this one? ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q1A | 28 Inch UHD 4K Monitor | 60 Hz, 5 ms GtG, FreeSync, HDR 10 | IPS Panel, 16:9, 3840x2160, DisplayPort, HDMI https://amzn.eu/d/78Ul8Mz

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 20, 2023

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

been keeping an eye on the VA monitor and have been on the fence whether or not to go with this or the IPS version: https://a.co/d/a9UqshR

i'd be using it as a all general monitor for gaming, watching movies, photoshop/video editing, connecting to my switch, etc.. i think it might be better a better choice against the IPS panel too because i'll be using a freestanding monitor arm, since i can't use a clamp or grommet, and the VA weighs less. i'd like to hear other people's opinion on it though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I find myself with a bit of disposable income and been thinking for a while about getting a 27" 144hz monitor with free/gsync. Been looking for a 1080 since I don't reckon my rig can handle newer games at 1440p/60h (not even mentioning 1440/144) and I'm a bit concerned about the 1080 to 1440 scaling for all that 1080 content. So, few questions:

Is 27"/144hz/gsync enough of an upgrade to justify replacing my 23" (old but working fine) monitor? (Got a second 27" monitor but it's 'just' 1080/60).

I live in a Third World Shithole so my options are severely limited, been looking at the Asus VG278Q or the [/url=https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl650f-b-gaming-monitor]LG 27GL650F-B (and ow those reviews)[/url]. Any opinions on these?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

1080p 144hz is far superior to 1440p 60 hz if your goal is to do better at vidja james

the main advantage of 1440p 27" is you can see targets further in games like battle royales although it can help even at long range in games like counter-strike.

if you're stuck on 60hz but can push 1080p 144hz it's a good upgrade in that it futureproofs you for when you get a new rig. 27" is the sweet spot for a close monitor and 240hz is barely an upgrade over 144hz. i'd rather run 1440p 144 hz than 1080p 240 hz.

i dont know if running 1080p on a 1440p monitor is a bad idea or if that particular monitor is good.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Any recommendations for a good travel monitor? Simple to take Amazon’s top rated but I figured y’all would know more. Getting for an extended working vacation but I would take it with me when traveling otherwise too, assuming it’s up for it.

Mostly just need the screen space so my old eyes can actually see the spreadsheets I’m working on, etc. also will be delivering training so having one screen to show and another for the meeting stuff is nice.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I have a 15 inch 1080p innocn OLED that's pretty decent. OLED is probably overkill for your use case, though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I received the Acer XV275K P3 today; so far I checked for dead pixels and haven't found any.

The build quality is good, the display is fairly muted in terms of aesthetic, which is nice, and so far HDR seems to be working well in macOS, but I haven't switched over to my PC to test it out there.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Where the QD-OLED 27" 4K monitors at.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ijyt posted:

Where the QD-OLED 27" 4K monitors at.

Next year at the earliest: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/monitor-oled-panel-roadmap-updates-march-2023

a 32" 4K panel seems likely next year, but 27" 4K may not happen right away. Samsung isn't giving any real dates on their roadmap though so it's hard to say.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
monitors have gone all weird in euroland, i got a m32q for just over 300 bux in late 2021, now it's 450-500??

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I've found a good deal on a Samsung Odyssey G7 27", is there any reason not to pull the trigger on it?

I'm not sure about the curvature since I've never owned one of those and I'm gonna be using this for working, media and browsing, not just gaming. I'll also be using a flat 1080p 24 inch monitor as a 2nd screen.

Otherwise it looks really good though, I'm tempted.

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 23, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Elman posted:

I've found a good deal on a Samsung Odyssey G7 27", is there any reason not to pull the trigger on it?

I'm not sure about the curvature since I've never owned one of those and I'm gonna be using this for working, media and browsing, not just gaming. I'll also be using a flat 1080p 24 inch monitor as a 2nd screen.

Otherwise it looks really good though, I'm tempted.

The curve would be the reason.

It would be great if you could see something curved in person first.

Or just save the packaging in case you hate it.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Is the MSI MEG 342C out of stock everywhere? Does anyone know if they silently took it off the market to fix a problem, and it's coming back?

In principle I wanna wait for the new blues and MLA et al on QD-OLED so it'll last longer, but man that screen looked worth it. The Alienware but with KVM and other bells and whistles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's been some supply issues, but supposedly more are coming soon.

Samsung has downplayed their lack of MLA on QD-OLED panels by saying that it's not very useful for top-emission panels (as opposed to WOLED, which is bottom emission). They're partially right in that it's not as useful, but there are still brightness and efficiency gains there to be had, so I while I don't think it's coming in the short-term I think they'll eventually do that. They just want to downplay LG's current advantage.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 24, 2023

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I just heard about the new firmware for the AW3423DWF that was mentioned two pages back. I've been using these settings which are now obsolete. https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/zoqegd/aw3423dwf_best_hdr_settings_windowsgames_thread/ Does anyone know if I need to reset all those settings now? Are there settings I should be switching instead?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

I just heard about the new firmware for the AW3423DWF that was mentioned two pages back. I've been using these settings which are now obsolete. https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/zoqegd/aw3423dwf_best_hdr_settings_windowsgames_thread/ Does anyone know if I need to reset all those settings now? Are there settings I should be switching instead?

I think you're supposed to reset to default because the monitor works fine without any special tweaks now? This video has some information about the update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTvqGFBPIw4

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So I'm thinking I'm going to return the Acer Nitro XV275K P3; the panel overall is pretty impressive, with what seems like minimal blooming from what I can tell (not that I'm very well equipped to do such things), and the colors are really great when in HDR mode, but I'd say it'd be used for maybe 25% gaming and the rest is general usage, so not sure I'm really needing an HDR panel at this time. I had thought about going OLED, but given the usage differences, didn't think it was worth risking the burn-in, and it seems like my usage is where miniLED is ideal.

Also, there are a lot of weird UI quirks that Acer needs to work out, including conflicting options in the UI, limitations on what adjustments can be done in certain circumstances, etc. The UI is also pretty slow, and the bottom buttons difficult to use. It really could use a joystick, and seeing that Acer puts them on cheaper Nitro monitors, I'm assuming it was one of the ways to implement cost-saving. It also has a weird issue where it takes several seconds to wake from sleep, whether in macOS or in Windows, and in macOS, it also has some occasional issues with going black for a few seconds.

If I wanted to just go towards a 1440p display, what's the general top recommendation? Looking for Freesync/G-sync compatibility, ideally around 144hz, and good color.

I know previously DVG0031 had pointed out this panel, which definitely could be an option: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Vbmiipr...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

I also saw this LG that's on sale and available locally, but wasn't sure if it's a significant improvement over the Acer and worth the extra $100 as such: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27-ultragear-qhd-nano-ips-1ms-165hz-hdr-monitor-with-g-sync-compatibility-black/6451081.p?skuId=6451081

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Thanks to work stuff, I may be in the market for a KVM soon. I've avoided them thus far because I have two high-refresh monitors and my understanding is that regular KVMs won't output more than 60Hz, but I know there are now HRR monitors with built-in KVMs. Are they worth using? Do they make the gaming experience worse at all? Any one the thread recommends at 27"? People seem to like the Gigabyte M27Q-P, but the switch button being on the right side is inconvenient for me (and I'd prefer 3 USB if possible).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I just got a couple M27Q, presumably rev2.0 but I'm not sure how I could possibly verify that for sure. I don't have anything interesting to say about the kvm since I don't currently use it, but I cannot figure out how to make them not disconnect from my computer when turning back on. My previous monitors did that when turning off but there was a setting to make it not do that, but from what I can tell, there is no such thing on these.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Hi all, I don't really know the first thing about monitors so I'm hoping someone can recommend me one. I have a dual monitor setup. They are both 24", 60hz, 1080p. Thing is, I want to upgrade from 60hz to at least 144hz at this point. I have a GTX 2060 super. The GPU/monitor setup I have are basically my weakest links. I only really need to replace one of my monitors (for gaming), so can someone recommend me a neat one that is $200 or less? Thanks in advance.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'd say it depends on your future intent. If you don't intend to buy a new GPU anytime soon, there are some 24" 1080p 144+Hz monitors in your price range. However, 1080p as a resolution is definitely coming towards the end of its lifespan in the PC space.

If you do plan on upgrading your GPU sometime, maybe hold on and then spend $250 on a solid 27" 1440p high refresh monitor. 1440p is the current mainstream and future mainstream/budget resolution, but it's definitely a struggle for a 2060s at reasonably high settings in a lot of newer games. Personally I wouldn't mind because most of what I play is either older or less demanding, but you may not want to stretch your budget for performance you may not like.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 1, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I don't anticipate upgrading the GPU anytime soon, but I can spring the $250 for the fancier monitor if you have a suggestion for me. I can always just downscale the game / not play at ultra settings. Plus if I do get a new GPU I'd have the monitor available — part of why I didn't get a stronger GPU when I last got it is my outdated monitors, so it's kind of becoming a chicken-and-egg problem at this point. That said I definitely do not have the budget for like $800 4k monitors or whatever the newer fancy stuff is, haha.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This monitor linked a few posts up is definitely a good buy. Maybe give it a day or two for other people to chime in, but that's probably the current best buy.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

K8.0 posted:

This monitor linked a few posts up is definitely a good buy. Maybe give it a day or two for other people to chime in, but that's probably the current best buy.

I ended up deciding against a curved screen and I'm looking for something similar. This one's a bit more expensive in my region though. I'm considering an LG UltraGear 27GR75Q-B, does that seem like a good choice?

Elman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 2, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Elman posted:

I ended up deciding against a curved screen and I'm looking for something similar. This one's a bit more expensive in my region though. I'm considering an LG UltraGear 27GR75Q-B, does that seem like a good choice?

What's the price difference? I'm honestly surprised, since Acer is usually always quite a bit cheaper than the "equivalent" LG option, which in this case would be the 27GP83B I believe. The one you linked appears to be a stripped down version of the LG 27GP83B, for example it's 8 bit with no FRC, has worse sRGB, etc. So it'll look worse than the Acer that was linked, also, as well as a little worse than the 27GP83B it's meant to possibly "replace".

So it all comes down to your use case, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SourKraut posted:

What's the price difference? I'm honestly surprised, since Acer is usually always quite a bit cheaper than the "equivalent" LG option, which in this case would be the 27GP83B I believe.

It's just not in stock so the only available ones are overpriced. I'd have to order it from the UK and that'd make it €370 vs the LG's 300.

Alternatively I've just found this one at €300, which seems pretty solid too.