Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All this did is make me think about how stupid Man of Steel was.

Superman: *Fights Zod like it's Goku vs Vegeta and completely loving destroys Metropolis, knocking over skyscrapers with thousands of people in them*
Zod: I AM GOING TO MELT THIS FAMILY OF 4
Superman: Oh no, not those 4 people! That's 4 people too many! Yeaarrrghhhh *breaks Zod's neck*
Superman: *never was established as really never wanting to kill anyone* WHAT HAVE I DONE, NOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Please don't start Snyderchat here, you don't know what you're doing. Theres a containment thread for it for a reason.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

You can tell the chapter was good because it completely ruined this thread

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bro Dad posted:

You can tell the chapter was good because it completely ruined this thread
The discussion over if it was very heroic/good to kill poor Twice is pretty valid and I think the intent by Horikoshi WAS to make it seem like it was a sad thing and possibly didn't need to happen. You're debating questions posed by the story rather than complaining about it so yeah- it was a good chapter.

My take is that I think it was tragic all around because you can see Hawks trying to convince himself not to do it until his programming wins out- he clearly hesitates at what could've been a fatal moment a couple different times. Hawks was just as mentally trapped into his life as Twice was, which I think is the point that was being driven home.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that the horrible poo poo he did was when he gave up on being Number One himself.

Like, that's not subtle theme stuff here. This is Shonen Jump, where the narrative's point is bashed into the wall with all of the subtlety of Crime and Punishment's ending. It keeps coming up again and again that going all out for a decent goal is good, and trying for shortcuts is bad. Failing the right way is better than winning the wrong way.

Which leads us back to Hawks and Twice.

What Hawks did regarding twice isn't wrong. He tried everything else, and only acted when he was forced to, within the bounds of the law and conventional morality. But!

What Hawks did was still a failure. He was unable to act as he (and the manga) think a hero should in this situation. All Might or Deku or Bakugo (especially Bakugo) might accept that sometimes you have to kill someone, but a situation like this where the choice is kill a friend or let thousands of people die is just when they show why they're aiming for the top. Taking Twice out,without killing him, while under fire, before he can make any more clones? That's one of those times when someone like Deku would show what PLUS ULTRA really means.

We actually had a similar beat earlier in the manga covered by the anime this season, with Mirio stopping Deku from going after Eri to keep their cover. It's not that the series considers that the mark of a bad person, but it's a failure all the same. We're meant to feel bad for Twice, yes. We're meant to wish Hawks could have done better. But we're not supposed to be outraged at Hawks for doing his job, or to think the villains are the protagonists. The society is MHA is decent-but-flawed, and the villains show places that need to be improved. It's not a coincidence that Deku keeps saving people who were failed by Hero society, from Kota to Gentle. It's him moving to surpass All Might by saving people who his world failed, showing that he's going to build a world that doesn't make more Shigarakis.

This is a good post because it's definitely what the story is trying to present. All of the analysis with regards to whether or not the authoritarian police state should be leading a violent superpowered no-knock raid on a terrorist cell brewing up a human weapon who can already level cities is kind of missing the more earnest point being made I think.

I liked Twice, too, and Hawks killing him is absolutely furthering the failures of hero society but I reckon we'll see that addressed. Hawks is the type of hero Stain despised. It's not a mistake that Dabi is invoking his name again.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

To be fair I'm not really sure what Hawks could have done to stop Twice at this point other then kill him, since apparently trying to cripple him with a bunch of non-lethal wounds mostly just slowed Twice down.

Also, if you want to have the "sympathetic villains" argument - Toga is a character who is eminently sympathetic and has been failed by hero's society lack of reasonable access to counselling and therapy but I'm not about to call Deku an rear end in a top hat if he punches her when she's going at Ochako with a knife.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ochako is going to kick Toga's rear end, or at least she should imo.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Probably would. If I remember right, their encounter at the summer camp had Uraraka yeet Toga into the dirt pretty easily.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Probably would. If I remember right, their encounter at the summer camp had Uraraka yeet Toga into the dirt pretty easily.

Toga's been training, she was kind of humiliating Deku in the license exam even though he has super speed and she doesn't.

Also clearly the most ~Heroic thing in that situation would be to redeem her. Deku and Uraraka can't call themselves true heroes unless they both snog the yandere girl back to the light side.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nephthys posted:

Toga's been training, she was kind of humiliating Deku in the license exam even though he has super speed and she doesn't.

Also clearly the most ~Heroic thing in that situation would be to redeem her. Deku and Uraraka can't call themselves true heroes unless they both snog the yandere girl back to the light side.

She was also leveraging the fact that he is a teenage boy with sense of shame to distract him, and it's been noted she's really fast for someone whose power has nothing to do with physical capability, much like Eraserhead/Stain.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nah it still sounds dumb as poo poo even in that context

Why, though? It's more or less in tune with what's going down with Kurogiri since the reveal of who/what he was. What, should Eraser/Cap have just shrugged their shoulders and just punched Kurogiri/the mutants instead? That seems like a really reductionist view of what counts as heroics.

Like Eraser, when told what Kurogiri is, tries to get across to him. It even seems to work (?), to some degree. In the very least, it's had an effect. How's that any substantively different than the Cap story Mogul mentioned?

Rhonne posted:

Kurogiri was also already locked up and presented no immediate danger to innocent people at that point.

I didn't even mention Twice so I'm not sure what your point is here. Like, what, is the criticism that Cap took time to try to reason with the mutants? So did Hawks with Twice so if that gets a pass so does this.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kurogiri was also already locked up and presented no immediate danger to innocent people at that point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that the horrible poo poo he did was when he gave up on being Number One himself.

Like, that's not subtle theme stuff here. This is Shonen Jump, where the narrative's point is bashed into the wall with all of the subtlety of Crime and Punishment's ending. It keeps coming up again and again that going all out for a decent goal is good, and trying for shortcuts is bad. Failing the right way is better than winning the wrong way.

Which leads us back to Hawks and Twice.

What Hawks did regarding twice isn't wrong. He tried everything else, and only acted when he was forced to, within the bounds of the law and conventional morality. But!

What Hawks did was still a failure. He was unable to act as he (and the manga) think a hero should in this situation. All Might or Deku or Bakugo (especially Bakugo) might accept that sometimes you have to kill someone, but a situation like this where the choice is kill a friend or let thousands of people die is just when they show why they're aiming for the top. Taking Twice out,without killing him, while under fire, before he can make any more clones? That's one of those times when someone like Deku would show what PLUS ULTRA really means.

We actually had a similar beat earlier in the manga covered by the anime this season, with Mirio stopping Deku from going after Eri to keep their cover. It's not that the series considers that the mark of a bad person, but it's a failure all the same. We're meant to feel bad for Twice, yes. We're meant to wish Hawks could have done better. But we're not supposed to be outraged at Hawks for doing his job, or to think the villains are the protagonists. The society is MHA is decent-but-flawed, and the villains show places that need to be improved. It's not a coincidence that Deku keeps saving people who were failed by Hero society, from Kota to Gentle. It's him moving to surpass All Might by saving people who his world failed, showing that he's going to build a world that doesn't make more Shigarakis.

This actually comes around to why All Might was simultaneously wonderful and terrible for hero society. These impossibly thorny situations - such as how to stop someone like Twice in this scenario without compromising your own morals - were easily bypassed by All Might because he was just so unbelievably powerful that he could make the impossible possible in a way that other heroes can't. When you're that powerful, you generally don't need to make sophie's choice - the example in story of this is the very beginning, when the slime dude grabbed Bakugo and the other heroes were powerless to both beat him and rescue Bakugo but All Might just kind of walked in and did everything instantly because he's that strong.

It's way easier to treat the symptom(villains) than the disease(society has major flaws) when you have an invincible, omnipotent guardian angel who will pretty much just drop from the sky and solve every problem pretty much flawlessly almost immediately. But now the angel's gone and their solution is to try to find another angel.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It feels like a lot of this argument is people ascribing real-world morality and context incredibly literally and ignoring the actual point of the dilemma, which is mostly based in character work.

This is pretty dead-on in regards to the manga's mindset.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
why does "a villainous character who is likeable and sympathetic" break peoples brains so much

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Are you talking about Twice or Hawks now? :confused:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Well Hawks sure did some damage to Twice! A cha cha cha.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I hate MHA now because the main character isn't Mirko.

How do you folks think Mirko would have handled the Dabi and Twice situation? I think she would've won.

Would've put Twice out harmlessly the second she got him between her thighs and we would not be having this conversation

Farg posted:

why does "a villainous character who is likeable and sympathetic" break peoples brains so much

Because people are projecting their own lives and issues onto the underdog villains for better or for worse

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See, my problem with this is that everyone is acting as if Hawks is some sort of black-hearted cold manipulator and murderer. He has things he cares about! He cares about Tokoyami, he genuinely looks up to Endeavor, and I always got the idea that his "a world where heroes don't have to work as hard" was a genuine desire and not a lie.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

The discussion over if it was very heroic/good to kill poor Twice is pretty valid and I think the intent by Horikoshi WAS to make it seem like it was a sad thing and possibly didn't need to happen. You're debating questions posed by the story rather than complaining about it so yeah- it was a good chapter.

My take is that I think it was tragic all around because you can see Hawks trying to convince himself not to do it until his programming wins out- he clearly hesitates at what could've been a fatal moment a couple different times. Hawks was just as mentally trapped into his life as Twice was, which I think is the point that was being driven home.

It's really weird to call that "programming" as if he couldn't help himself. He exhausted every possible option he had, with no internal struggle, until his hand was forced. Because at the end of the day, in a world of imperfect people and imperfect solutions sometimes there's literally no recourse. Especially when it's a fictional situation specifically engineered to remove them.

Like, I understand the agency that trained him is shady as hell but people are talking like he's a murderhobo child soldier in the vein of Raiden when there's literally no evidence of that. He's social, has a moral compass that would match that of most people's and has enough empathy to try and offer reformation to a known extreme-risk terrorist instead of murdering on the spot. If they didn't show flashbacks to his childhood, there'd be nothing to suggest he's off in some way.

e: f;b

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Farg posted:

Well you make a bad guy the main character and people will root for them no matter what.

See: Breaking Bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Junpei posted:

See, my problem with this is that everyone is acting as if Hawks is some sort of black-hearted cold manipulator and murderer. He has things he cares about! He cares about Tokoyami, he genuinely looks up to Endeavor, and I always got the idea that his "a world where heroes don't have to work as hard" was a genuine desire and not a lie.

Yeah, he basically flubbed his mission by surrendering to his personal human impulses and trying to reason with Twice - completely unsuccessfully, mind, but the attempt was made - instead of simply knocking his rear end out and/or killing him the moment they were alone, which is probably what a completely cold hearted manipulator/murderer would do.

The whole situation going tits up is specifically because Hawks acted like a human being instead of Winter Soldier, basically.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
^^^ If Hawks had just knocked Twice out from behind and flown off with him the moment Cementoss opened the building we wouldn't be having this discussion

Junpei posted:

I always got the idea that his "a world where heroes don't have to work as hard" was a genuine desire and not a lie.

I agree, especially considering the kind of things 'working hard' entails for Hawks. I'll change my tune concerning Hawks as soon as Best Jeanist shows up alive and well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZiegeDame posted:

^^^ If Hawks had just knocked Twice out from behind and flown off with him the moment Cementoss opened the building we wouldn't be having this discussion

Yeah, that's the point? Hawks formed a rapport with Twice and sorta-befriended him in their time together, which led him to try to reason with Twice instead of cold-cocking his sorta-friend. It's clear proof that Hawks isn't some kind of emotionless government agent.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Kanos posted:

Yeah, that's the point? Hawks formed a rapport with Twice and sorta-befriended him in their time together, which led him to try to reason with Twice instead of cold-cocking his sorta-friend. It's clear proof that Hawks isn't some kind of emotionless government agent.

So Hawks completely failed to understand Twice's personality, and so Twice paid the ultimate price for Hawks's incompetence. Doesn't really do Hawks any favors when it comes to the killer-cop comparison.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If Jeanist is still alive that means Dabi could’ve prevented all of this by just doing his job.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just think of how much better a place the world would be if everyone suffering from mental health issues was given a nuke

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
killer-cops don't normally try to de-escalate a situation or use violence as a last resort

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

So Hawks completely failed to understand Twice's personality, and so Twice paid the ultimate price for Hawks's incompetence. Doesn't really do Hawks any favors when it comes to the killer-cop comparison.

this is a weird take that pretends twice has no agency here

twice made the decisions he made, and while the society he was a part of can be blamed to an extent, in the end he 'paid the ultimate price' because he himself decided to risk his life saving the people he cares about

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Truly the only correct move for society is to allow the mentally ill to use their nukes freely as penance for not being a perfect, omniscient, omnipotent utopia and allowing failing to predict and prevent the situation from arising.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nonexistence posted:

Truly the only correct move for society is to allow the mentally ill to use their nukes freely as penance for not being a perfect, omniscient, omnipotent utopia and allowing failing to predict and prevent the situation from arising.

it's weird that people can read a manga that consistently highlights the ways in which the current society is flawed and fails people for so long and still make these weird hyperbolic strawmen that no one in the thread is remotely saying

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Boy these “mentally ill people with nukes” takes make me uncomfortable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Boy these “mentally ill people with nukes” takes make me uncomfortable.

but enough about the united states government! heyo!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

it's weird that people can read a manga that consistently highlights the ways in which the current society is flawed and fails people for so long and still make these weird hyperbolic strawmen that no one in the thread is remotely saying

No one but a third of the posts since the chapter dropped. Go back and read posts by SyntheticPolygon, Dr SubterFuge, Mystic Mongol, Shere, Babysitter Super Sleuth, and ZiegeDame over the last few pages if you want specificity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If two Twice clones were stuck on the moon and one Twice clone killed the other Twice clone, would that be hosed up?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nonexistence posted:

No one but a third of the posts since the chapter dropped. Go back and read posts by SyntheticPolygon, Dr SubterFuge, Mystic Mongol, Shere, Babysitter Super Sleuth, and ZiegeDame over the last few pages if you want specificity.

We all read those posts it's you being the weird brain here, friend!.

Also really what's a girl gotta do to get a shoutout like this? Am I nothing to you?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The society is at fault for letting Twice slip through the cracks to get to where he was. Hawks was still 100% correct and justified in killing him and had no reasonable way to avoid killing him without catastrophic consequences, which didn't stop him from trying to talk him down and subdue him nonlethally anyways. People are trying to paint Hawks as some kind of sociopathic killer despite this not being even remotely supported by the story or character. I feel like half the people here are just ignoring the actual text to make their flimsy points about how this was some huge moral failure for hawks when he had basically zero morally clean options left to him.

Comparing this situation to real life police brutality/murder is in incredibly poor taste and isn't even a remotely accurate comparison considering that the victims of police brutality in reality are often innocent and unarmed, or are guilty of a minor nonviolent offense, or are armed but compliant with police, or even if they are violent and armed do not possess any kind of power on the same order of magnitude as Twice because it's real life and not a fictional superhero story, whereas Twice was actively choosing to fight and could be considered a weapon of mass destruction even while restrained and unarmed.

I don't agree with the mentally ill people with nukes comparison either. Twice was mentally ill for sure, but he was lucid and knew exactly what his choices meant and had every intention to follow through with them.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 6, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also Mirko is still really good and the doctor's overblown reactions every time the heroes break through his defenses are loving amazing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tweet my meat posted:

Also Mirko is still really good and the doctor's overblown reactions every time the heroes break through his defenses are loving amazing.

The rainbow sparkles snot was really something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

tweet my meat posted:

I'd have the same facial expressions if I ever met Mirko just not out of fear