Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

I ended up with tickets to the Manning Conference. How bad could it be?

Say hi to Hal for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
what are rahim jaffer and helena guergis up to these days?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Apparently Guergis went to law school at u of a in 2012 but I can't find her in the alberta law society directory.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 26, 2018

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I hope the food is good, I hate when the meet-and-greet just has muffins and coffee.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

namaste faggots posted:

I think it's great that jobs didn't appear anywhere in your post of reasons to move to the Maritimes

It's OK you can just become a small business right

Unless you work for a box store, call center, gas station, or Irving, you are a small business in New Brunswick. There are no other types of businesses here. One or two regional chains but almost everything is specific to the city they're in.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Stretch Marx posted:

Unless you work for a box store, call center, gas station, or Irving, you are a small business in New Brunswick. There are no other types of businesses here. One or two regional chains but almost everything is specific to the city they're in.

If only Bricklin was a success story.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ikantski trigger warning http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/programs/ontariotoday/need-a-break-on-hydro-1.3996138

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

What's the over/under on Mike Harrises?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What's the over/under on Mike Harrises?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Okay, I'll risk the triggering but will definitely take the over. My latest bill is down to 20c/kwh, 78% off peak. It's lower because I used a lot so I amortized my fixed delivery portion a bit better, gently caress your conservation. I don't like this guy "rurals pay a lot more" is a myth. Hydro One rurals would pay $164 for a thrifty 750kw, Toronto Hydro $147 for the same and the difference is delivery. We only pay a bit more for delivery but our poors are way more likely to use extra electricity for heat/cooking/hot water cause we can't get natural gas. Two mike harrises by 12 minutes, I win.

e: "Kingston guy, tell me about your hydro bill, do you think you should get a break?" MOTHERFUCKER TAXPAYERS BUILT THIS SYSTEM. I'm triggered.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
pre:
NPG
Bill Amount: $71.00
Bill Period: January 11, 2017 to February 7, 2017

RATE USAGE CHARGES
Electric Charges
Electricity On-Peak Winter 0.180000 111.33 $20.04
Electricity Mid-Peak Winter 0.132000 61.66 $8.14
Electricity Off-Peak Winter 0.087000 581.22 $50.57
Delivery $41.51 :snoop:
Regulatory Charges $5.18
Debt Retirement Charge $0.00
TOTAL ELECTRIC CHARGES $125.44

$200 January :argh:
ed: 16.6c / kWh

e: "Kingston guy, tell me about your hydro bill, do you think you should get a break?" MOTHERFUCKER TAXPAYERS BUILT THIS SYSTEM. I'm triggered.

I SAID TRIGGER WARNING FOR A REASON FRIEND!

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 23, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't understand why Politicians are dedicated to Turbofucking one of the few industries we have that doesn't involved ripping everything out of the ground and selling it to the lowest bidder.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Which CPC leadership candidate is this?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

InfiniteZero posted:

Which CPC leadership candidate is this?

Kellie Leitch parachute account

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand why Politicians are dedicated to Turbofucking one of the few industries we have that doesn't involved ripping everything out of the ground and selling it to the lowest bidder.

Capitalism free market something something

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Christianity is illegal in Ontario now.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/anti-islamophobia-motion-unanimously-passes-ontario-legislature-1.3298401

quote:

An anti-Islamophobia motion has unanimously passed the Ontario legislature.

The motion called on the legislature to "stand against all forms of hatred, hostility, prejudice, racism and intolerance," rebuke a "growing tide of anti-Muslim rhetoric and sentiments" and condemn all forms of Islamophobia.

Liberal backbencher Nathalie Des Rosiers introduced the motion in December in response to anti-Muslim incidents in her Ottawa-Vanier riding.

But she says it took on extra urgency after six men were shot to death at a mosque in Quebec.

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown supported the motion, saying Ontario's legislature "unequivocally opposes Islamophobia."

The Tories' support means the Ontario motion has not generated the political debate seen over a similar item in the House of Commons.

A number of federal Conservatives, including several leadership contenders, argue the Ottawa motion singles out one religious group over others and could potentially curtail freedom of speech because it doesn't define the term Islamophobia.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stretch Marx posted:

Client of mine recently moved back out to NB, he does professional services for a for bankruptcy trustees. As far as I can tall he has a veritable mansion on a huge acreage, and makes the same money he made here, because he has all the same clients and does the same work, remotely.

Well thank goodness. Anyone care to explain how a motion can "curtail free speech"?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

MOTHERFUCKER TAXPAYERS BUILT THIS SYSTEM.

So you'll agree that the sale of crown assets is an affront to all taxpayers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

That seems like a leap.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Can you think of any cases where we've come out ahead, long term, on the sale of crown assets (in say the last 50 years)?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

infernal machines posted:

Can you think of any cases where we've come out ahead, long term, on the sale of crown assets (in say the last 50 years)?

We've managed to make ourselves look more interesting to kleptocrats who want to set up shop here by buying up crown assets for pennies on the dollar?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

Not all crown assets. I don't mind the federal cons or provincial libs selling their GM shares because I don't they shouldn't be involved in stock market investing in the first place. They shouldn't sell off critical monopolistic infrastructure like bridges, 407s or electric systems. I think they work pretty well as crown corps like canada post or chmc. It'll be interesting to see how the infrastructure bank thing works out, selling it out before taxpayers built it so at least we only get dinged once https://www.hilltimes.com/2016/11/14/trudeau-prepares-sell-canada/87632

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

infernal machines posted:

Well thank goodness. Anyone care to explain how a motion can "curtail free speech"?

"Creeping Sharia."

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How loving poor are you that you can't afford $200/ month for hydro? loving lol you're a bunch of whiny bitches

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

How loving poor are you that you can't afford $200/ month for hydro? loving lol you're a bunch of whiny bitches

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Humans are so loving dumb.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Listowel? Yeah, I'd buy that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How the gently caress do you sell a bridge, anyway? How does that get turned into a for-profit company?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tolls?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Arivia posted:

How the gently caress do you sell a bridge, anyway? How does that get turned into a for-profit company?

The government pays you money to keep it in operable condition. Usually this is more money than they would have paid to maintain it themselves.

No joke, this is what happens.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I remember when the BC Liberals were going to privatize the Coquihalla Highway in 2005 and then turned around in 2006 and removed the tolls.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think CanPol posters should resolve here and now to blow up any privatized infrastructure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rime posted:

The government pays you money to keep it in operable condition. Usually this is more money than they would have paid to maintain it themselves.

No joke, this is what happens.

Jesus loving christ. Can we get an actual left in this country please

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Arivia posted:

Jesus loving christ. Can we get an actual left in this country please
Justin Trudeau is the best option for a progressive government in Ottawa. He's focused on the middle class and Canadians working hard to join the middle class.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's cool to know that I and my entire second gen immigrant peer group are disrupting the social cohesion of Canada despite having no contact or roots with "the homeland" and identify as Canadian above all else but oh no my mom doesn't speak English perfectly and runs a law firm that primarily services Cantonese and Mandarin clients except all the younger Chinese clientele all speak English for business now anyway.

I am curious as to what essential life changing experiences I have missed out on by not being born a 5th generation white Canadian though and why I'm deserving of pity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

Justin Trudeau is the best option for a progressive government in Ottawa. He's focused on the middle class and Canadians working hard to join the middle class.

gently caress you.

(I mean, not you, but you know what I mean. gently caress you.)

Eej posted:

It's cool to know that I and my entire second gen immigrant peer group are disrupting the social cohesion of Canada despite having no contact or roots with "the homeland" and identify as Canadian above all else but oh no my mom doesn't speak English perfectly and runs a law firm that primarily services Cantonese and Mandarin clients except all the younger Chinese clientele all speak English for business now anyway.

I am curious as to what essential life changing experiences I have missed out on by not being born a 5th generation white Canadian though and why I'm deserving of pity.

Mr. Dressup?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Eej posted:

Well, you see, old stock Canadians stick together*... much like these first-gen immigrant enclaves.. er.. but it's different because they were here first.

*And trust the state organizations made up largely of old stock Canadians, more than these first gen immigrants do... for some reason.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even my young slanted eyes could appreciate the wonders of Mr. Dressup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Eej posted:

You'll never know white privledge of traveling to an Asian country and being treated like a rich mainlander. dwell on that

namaste faggots posted:

Being working poor does that to you