Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Goddamn. That's probably never happened.
Blue Angel
Thunderbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Blue Angel isn't in as good of shape judging by pictures of a massive fireball. Hope the pilot made it out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Maybe I won't go practice spin and spiral dive recovery this evening, everything comes in threes and I don't want the third guy today to pancake his plane while trying to do something fancy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Could this F-16 look any more pathetic?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well, it could be a fireball like the F-18.

F-16 wins again!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, it could be a fireball like the F-18.

F-16 wins again!

I feel bad for laughing at this.

I don't think the Hornet driver got out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ I fear that too, I'd think that someone would have seen the parachute and posted it on twitter like the fireball :/

For whatever reason this made me check avherald; someone is having fun with the entries today:

quote:

Incident: United B763 at Newark on May 31st 2016, ceiling panel refuses go-around

A United Boeing 767-300, registration N672UA performing flight UA-557 from Houston Intercontinental,TX to Newark,NJ (USA) with 214 people on board, was on final approach to Newark's runway 22L when the crew initiated a go around at low altitude, the aircraft made ground contact during the go around, a ceiling panel continued to descend however and impacted the aircraft floor before being forced to go around with the rest of the aircraft. The aircraft climbed to 3000 feet, the crew advised ATC they went around because the aircraft got out of landing position, positioned for another approach and landed on runway 22L without further incident about 25 minutes after the first ground contact. There were no injuries and no further damage.

The airport authority reported that after the aircraft had gone around making ground contact a runway inspection was conducted, no debris was found however.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in Newark about 48 hours later.

The panel being picked up:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
One dead in the Blue Angels mishap. We can only assume it's the pilot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

One dead in the Blue Angels mishap. We can only assume it's the pilot.

Yeah, there'd be pictures of a parachute, or we'd have been told of his condition otherwise. :smith: Family notification ATT.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/TSNSports/status/738474250764423169

Edit2:

Yeesh.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 2, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Well it's not flying so...

lovely about the Navy pilot though :(

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Godholio posted:

Edit2:

Yeesh.

goddamn what a photo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Frinkahedron posted:

goddamn what a photo

There's video of some of them circling the wreckage that's pretty :smith:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've already heard some speculation that the pilot stayed with it to make sure it didn't hit the nearby apartment complex. I'm pretty sure I know who the pilot is but the official announcement will be out before long I'd imagine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

I've already heard some speculation that the pilot stayed with it to make sure it didn't hit the nearby apartment complex. I'm pretty sure I know who the pilot is but the official announcement will be out before long I'd imagine.

They've already announced that it was Capt. Jeff Kuss.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

fknlo posted:

They've already announced that it was Capt. Jeff Kuss.

Yeah I just saw that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
That's the second Marine Corps Blue Angel and second plane #6 lost in a row. :(

e: do they always put the USMC pilot in #6?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 3, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

That's the second Marine Corps Blue Angel and second plane #6 lost in a row. :(

e: do they always put the USMC pilot in #6?

Usually the two newest members of the team are the solos if I remember correctly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^ I fear that too, I'd think that someone would have seen the parachute and posted it on twitter like the fireball :/

For whatever reason this made me check avherald; someone is having fun with the entries today:

Avherald often has chuckle-worthy headlines for their entries.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVuI_S-CmaI

Vive la France!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Are GoPros in Europe still stuck to PAL framerates?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The cockpit recorders from Eastern Air Lines Flight 980 (crashed New Year’s Day, 1985) have been found.

Level of difficulty: they look like this:

Discoverers’ blog post.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Went to a small airshow, saw an Invader, a Mustang, a Vampire and a bunch of other things fly as well as got to see a Viggen on the ground with all kinds of interesting hatches open. Only brought phone camera though, sadly, so I only took photos of things I thought were really hard to find photos of on the internet, so, uh, have some pics of the inside of a Viggen.

Well, got one photo of the outside. This individual has been sitting around for a long time outside and the paintjob is badly faded. Still, they got a dummy Sidewinder to hang on it.

Main gear well, right side, looking from the front towards the rear and center of the aircraft.

Refueling control panel, located in the right main gear well. Yep, that's cobwebs.

Technicians "tattle-tale" accelerometer, also in the right main gear well. If the pilot pulled more G's than he's supposed to, he won't get away with it even though he can reset his own max G measurement in the cockpit, because this thing measures the same thing and can't be reset from the cockpit. You done got busted, son.

Nose wheel well looking forwards.

:gas:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 4, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Platystemon posted:

The cockpit recorders from Eastern Air Lines Flight 980 (crashed New Year’s Day, 1985) have been found.

Level of difficulty: they look like this:

Discoverers’ blog post.

I'm curious if anything will be recoverable. I know I wouldn't normally trust something that's been out in the elements for almost as long as I've been alive, but it's also been spending that time at a very high altitude. Though seeing that recorder smashed to bits, definitely a hell of an impact. I'll bet the pilots probably didn't know they were flying into a mountain until they hit it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There was a plane back in the 1980s that had a fatal crash (primarily because the pilot caused the plane to stall multiple times but also because the altitude was too high for the engine to begin with); they ended up finding a videotape that had been running in the cabin just hanging from trees when the crash was located several years later.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=316_1249535759

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

You'd think that after seeing hundreds of Spitfire photos I'd recognize that tail flash but NOOOOPE, it really confused me for a bit, more so than seeing a P-51 with a RAF roundel.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hogmartin posted:

You'd think that after seeing hundreds of Spitfire photos I'd recognize that tail flash but NOOOOPE, it really confused me for a bit, more so than seeing a P-51 with a RAF roundel.

I looked at the tail first and did not recognize it, everything up to the cockpit though recognizable, behind that? :catstare:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you want a very well written account of a Boeing 314 Clipper flying across the Atlantic in wartime, here you go.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Not sure how I never noticed that the P-51 tailwheel is actually ahead of the tail before.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
The better to ground loop with!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of Disney, they made this: Victory Through Air Power. It's pretty much a hour long movie on the Strategic Bombing Thesis, hosted by a Russian-American guy who was definitely aeronautically insane. Disney funded the whole project out of his own pocket he thought this guy's ideas were so important. If somebody can take my hand and show me how to make some .gifs (it is really .gif-able) I can do a synopsis.

I did a synopsis!

I also maek gifs for it:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
A few pages late but

Godholio posted:

The AF is in a perpetual stop-go-wait-whatarewedoing-go-repeat process of figuring out what they want to use as a replacement. If they're going to replace it. Or if they should combine it into a multirole something. No, let's replace it. Or maybe just upgrade it. Or combine it with AWACS or RJ or something. Or...

I've read the 707s are rapidly at "wings falling off" levels of hours due to the whole ground tracking of moving stuff being important in a war with insurgants with no air force so getting a JSTARS replacement is fully funded in the next budget.

Lightbulb Out posted:

A lot of the MTBF numbers are basically made up from a small amount of data.

This, forever and ever. I can think of many electronic subsystems I've seen where the spec'd MTBF was the life of the plane and the real world MTBF was still less than 500 hours after 5 years in service. The harder it is to remove the electronics, the more likely this is true.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm pretty sure we could just throw money at Boeing and say 'build us some of those snazzy E-767s, but add the refueling capability you had to leave out for the Japs,' but that still requires lead time, unless we buy up 767s airlines are looking to sunset and modify them...anything would be an upgrade over the 707s at this point.

The 'add the refueling capability' would be the kicker they'd charge out the rear end for, though. To say nothing of the modification to old airliners option.

Also, for the AWACS guys in the thread - why not Wedgetails?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

I've read the 707s are rapidly at "wings falling off" levels of hours due to the whole ground tracking of moving stuff being important in a war with insurgants with no air force so getting a JSTARS replacement is fully funded in the next budget.

They still can't even decide how big of an airplane to use.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm pretty sure we could just throw money at Boeing and say 'build us some of those snazzy E-767s, but add the refueling capability you had to leave out for the Japs,' but that still requires lead time, unless we buy up 767s airlines are looking to sunset and modify them...anything would be an upgrade over the 707s at this point.

Those E-767s use exactly the same mission hardware as the 707. And really, the 707 airframe is beefy as gently caress and lives a pretty tame life in the USAF. I don't doubt the JSTARS airframes are more worn out than the AWACS jets, just from their previous lives.

quote:

Also, for the AWACS guys in the thread - why not Wedgetails?

Fundamentally a different mission. There is a lot of overlap between USAF-style wide area and deep look surveillance/C2/battle management and USN/RAAF AEW&C, but significant differences. The Wedgetail is more analogous to the E-2 or EC-121 (mission-wise) than the E-3. As an AWACS controller I can manage the volume that would take 2+ Wedgetails or E-2s to handle, I can do it for a much longer duration, and I can do a lot more from a control/battle management standpoint. That said, the Wedgetail definitely has strengths over the E-3 (so does the E-2D), but replacing the fleet of ~30 E-3s would take at least 50 of the smaller platforms and honestly probably more. Every commitment would require more jets and crews to fill. Instead of 2 E-3s doing counter drug ops, we'd need probably 5. Instead of 5 E-3s supporting OEF, that bumps up to 10-12. You have to make up for mission duration and smaller areas of coverage, simultaneously. That means a lot more maintenance personnel to keep all those extra jets flying, and a lot more crews. I'm confident that at this very moment, there aren't enough CMR pilots at Tinker to man a fleet like that; probably the same for all the 1-deep positions: senior director, mission crew commander, air surveillance officer, flight engineer, etc. There already aren't enough electronic combat officers to fill every mission. You could probably min-man the mission crew and scrape together enough controllers, though.

The Wedgetail radar grew out of the E-10A program, which was supposed to combine AWACS and JSTARS onto a single platform, so a variant of that would be a good place to start for an eventual E-3 replacement. Using the E-7 itself as a starting point wouldn't be a bad idea if you can physically fit the equipment on that aircraft, which I'm really not sure about.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 6, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Doesn't the air force have some kind of engineering department that can draw up an in house mod for an in air refuelling system based on existing components to retrofit whatever airframe needs that capability? Or do they just outsource engineering to the manufacturer?
Like, if they want to mount a top secret death ray to the bottom of the KC-46, do they arrange to cut a hole in the bottom, mount the confabulator array, and wire it into the AC bus themselves, or do they go directly to Boeing and say "we want you to mount this top secret death ray to the bottom of the KC-46 somehow" and Boeing just bills them (in)appropriately?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
The latter. Operators like Airlines and Air Forces have engineers that track paperwork and schedule/certify maintenance, not design engineers. Those work at the manufacturers. Anything more complex than a cup holder would go back to the manufacturer

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 6, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Last week I flew from Houston to Heathrow on a 787 red eye flight. It was the most comfortable flight I've ever taken with the exception of the couple of times I got bumped up to those personal wank pods they use in business and first.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Captain Postal posted:

The latter. Operators like Airlines and Air Forces have engineers that track paperwork and schedule/certify maintenance, not design engineers. Those work at the manufacturers. Anything more complex than a cup holder would go back to the manufacturer

Big Safari would like a word with you...

E: Big Safari is actually in between the two, more of a USAF: "WE NEED THIS CAPABILITY RIGHT NOW!" Big Safari: "We know just the team to make that happen."

spookykid fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Dannywilson posted:

Big Safari would like a word with you...

E: Big Safari is actually in between the two, more of a USAF: "WE NEED THIS CAPABILITY RIGHT NOW!" Big Safari: "We know just the team to make that happen."
Even so, "fast, cheap, good: pick two" still applies. Fast and cheap being relative to military procurement in general, of course.