Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can anyone recommend a vegetarian food blog that is still updated that isn't 'healthy'. I don't eat meat, but I also don't eat healthy and a lot of vegetarian blogs are like, 'and put a squash in it' and I'd rather just eat creamy decadent noodles and soups and poo poo.

Post Punk Kitchen? Serious Eats has some good veggie stuff as well that isn't 'health conscious'. If you're into Indian food, I recently found CookingShooking on youtube and tried a couple of his recipes. Out-loving-standing.

angor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to make miso poached salmon tomorrow. I'm going to make some rice and miso soup with it, but I can't figure out what to do for a vegetable. Any suggestions?

Also what kind of wine would go well with that? Using white miso. Rice wine is too expensive around here, otherwise that would be the obvious option. Unless there's a highly recommended cheap brand.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can anyone recommend a vegetarian food blog that is still updated that isn't 'healthy'. I don't eat meat, but I also don't eat healthy and a lot of vegetarian blogs are like, 'and put a squash in it' and I'd rather just eat creamy decadent noodles and soups and poo poo.

It's not a blog but Ottolenghi's weekly column/recipes at the Guardian might kind of be what you're looking for:

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/yotamottolenghi

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Chemmy posted:

The easiest thing for you to do is to accept that you're pretty much celiac now too.

edit: that said my wife has been gluten free for over a decade now and she's definitely gotten less sensitive to things like "a utensil I used touched a countertop that had beer spilled on it three weeks ago and was only cleaned 30 times in the interim".

That is the approach we are taking in our house. SHE is not celiac - WE are celiac. That is good news about the sensitivity thing. She is even going to go grain free and probably dairy free for a little while too. After about four weeks of being strictly GF and certified GF she started having some of the symptoms again. Hopefully that can help speed up the recovery. The hardest part has been that we have been very food-social people and usually had someone (family or friends) over for dinner two or three times a week.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Honestly cooking at home I haven't had that hard of a time not using flour. PM me anytime if you're trying to do something and you're stuck.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got ideas for some quick and easy rice-based packed lunches for me to take to uni? I think I've got Celiac Disease, waiting on the results from a blood test to come back, but everything is pointing towards me having it. So life will be a lot easier if I can just make my own stuff at home that I know doesn't have gluten in it.

Only recipe ideas I can come up with are basic chicken and rice with some veggies, but I have a feeling that making it the night before, it'll end up being dry and kinda horrible to eat. Bento boxes look really appealing to me, but with an extra portion of rice (I love rice, super filling and tasty).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I do chicken, brown rice, and vegetables almost every day. It doesn't get dry or horrible, but you could add sauce if you want. I do dark meat, which is cheaper and adds some fat.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I do chicken, brown rice, and vegetables almost every day. It doesn't get dry or horrible, but you could add sauce if you want. I do dark meat, which is cheaper and adds some fat.

Sweet, I'll give it a go. For vegetables, do you just bung whatever you feel like in there without spices or anything? I've also got no idea what kinda sauces I can add to the lunch, would a basic curry powder + coconut powder sauce do the job?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beans and rice is also a good lunch to bring. Make sure you've got some hot sauce if that's your thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No I definitely go wild with spices.

Big batch of basic brown rice or quinoa = s+p, garlic, celery seed, a little better than bouillon, a little butter
Roast chicken quarters = cooked as a batch but using a different spice for each one, you can get a lot of variation that way
Vegetable = something green, usually baby spinach (if you stir it in after microwaving, it just wilts perfectly)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Something I've been wondering about, how much does the time between a cold pan/pot/whatever and target heat really matter?

Say in the case of boiled eggs, how important is the heat transfer during the heating to boiling stage, and does an electric range taking 8 minutes to boil some volume of water ultimately transfer more heat in that time to the eggs than an induction range that can bring it to a boil in 2 minutes?

The heat transfer of "take off the boil and cover+wait for X minutes" is the same in either case, but if there is less heat transferred in the bring to boil stage on induction, the after boil time segment would require more time with induction than electric. Right? Either that or all that really matters is getting the water to boiling, or the difference between the heat delivered to the egg in the two heating curves is not enough to matter outside of a chemistry lab or something?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

In the limit of an infinitely fast boiling, it would be identical to just dropping the eggs into already boiling water, which must be less total energy transferred to the eggs.

In the limit of the slowest pot in the world which takes hours to heat up, the eggs would be totally cooked by the time it boiled.

So I'm guessing that the longer an egg waits to boil, the more it is cooked all else being equal.

At least to first order, heat is transferred proportionally to the temperature difference. Largest amount possible would be if the temperature of the egg did not increase very much during pre-boiling. On average then (going from 0 heat transfer to full heat transfer) it would be getting half of the boiling energy per time during that part.

So take half of the heating up time and add that to the boiling time, that should roughly be the effect. If the cooling down portion is tens of minutes then it may be small compared to egg size/shape/age considerations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Awesome, thank you. Makes a lot of sense. One of those things where thinking about it I was pretty sure, but had lingering doubt about my assumptions

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
What is the best pressure cooker for around $100?

I've been using this giant 15 quart metal thing for ages but I'm kind of wanting to just get something simple, smaller, and electric that will also do slow cooking and was considering this:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-...pressure+cooker

Anybody have any experience with it or can suggest something better for around the same price range?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got that instant pot and it's a life changer. Coincidentally, I've just finished putting a bunch of stuff in it and have it on a 30 minute timer (chicken, green bean and potato curry). I initially thought it'd end up as a typical kitchen gadget that gets used once in a blue moon, but after I used it a few times, I realised it's really good. Cleanup is real easy, use of the machine is a doddle, literally can't fault the thing.

The timer settings are really good, I can fry everything inside the pot, then close the lid, set the timer for 30 minutes and then go out with friends for an hour or two. By the time I get back home, the food is done and it's kept warm (at a temperature where bacteria can't multiply). I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

When I cook vegetable dishes, the vegetables are soft but still retain their texture. They don't turn to mush. Chicken comes out really tender, and I've also cooked beef dumplings in there as well. In the past (even with a slow cooker), casserole beef would always be really tough no matter how long or little I cooked it, but in the instant pot, it pretty much melts.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 12, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have this one and I use it at least once a week. No problems so far in the few months I've had it. But I did also get it on clearance at Target for $35 so that may have influenced my decision.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Can someone translate me a recipe for Mì Gói Xào

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jay Carney posted:

Anyone got a great chicken liver pate recipe they want to share? Mine is a bit flat.

As is so often the case, my go to recipe is the Guardian one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I made a really nice chicken curry last night with dried limes (they're delicious, especially when you squeeze them out and mix the juice into things) but one of the chicken breasts I bought had a dark, grey colour in the thickest part of the breast, whilst the other was perfectly normal looking. I figured it was because they were free range and that the muscle was just healthy and exercised. I refrigerated it after I'd eaten what I wanted, and went to heat some up now, and those chicken pieces are even darker now, which really makes me worry about how safe it is to eat. The breast itself didn't smell bad or have a horrible slimy texture, but the meat tastes a little unpleasant. I ate some yesterday, swallowed it, and it's been 12 hours with no adverse effects, but I didn't eat any more of those chicken pieces as the flavour was pretty bland and horrible.

Anyone ever experience anything like this before? It's almost as if the breast has been bruised.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If it tastes bad, don’t eat it. Why do we always have to discuss this in this thread

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Kinda wanna do some sardine softshell tacos. Any recommendations?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Q8ee posted:

I made a really nice chicken curry last night with dried limes (they're delicious, especially when you squeeze them out and mix the juice into things) but one of the chicken breasts I bought had a dark, grey colour in the thickest part of the breast, whilst the other was perfectly normal looking. I figured it was because they were free range and that the muscle was just healthy and exercised. I refrigerated it after I'd eaten what I wanted, and went to heat some up now, and those chicken pieces are even darker now, which really makes me worry about how safe it is to eat. The breast itself didn't smell bad or have a horrible slimy texture, but the meat tastes a little unpleasant. I ate some yesterday, swallowed it, and it's been 12 hours with no adverse effects, but I didn't eat any more of those chicken pieces as the flavour was pretty bland and horrible.

Anyone ever experience anything like this before? It's almost as if the breast has been bruised.

Healthy and exercised muscle shouldn't look different from the rest within the same muscle. If it was in the middle, I've heard of chickens (especially the ones we've bred with absolutely huge breasts) having poor blood supply to the area that leads to some cellular breakdown, but generally that tends to be somewhat gooey.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm just gonna skip eating the chicken and just eat the vegetables instead. A little bit sad, cause the dish tasted delicious, and chicken woulda been really nice for it.

The texture of the meat was very firm and tough. I've got no idea what the hell it was but it was certainly suspect. I ate some yesterday and feel perfectly fine now, but the back of my mind can't stop thinking "it's diseased". It was really bland, a little bit tough, and just offputting, but didn't have an overpoweringly "bad" taste. It just looks really weird, like they're grey in colour even though they're cooked...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

No I definitely go wild with spices.

Big batch of basic brown rice or quinoa = s+p, garlic, celery seed, a little better than bouillon, a little butter
Roast chicken quarters = cooked as a batch but using a different spice for each one, you can get a lot of variation that way
Vegetable = something green, usually baby spinach (if you stir it in after microwaving, it just wilts perfectly)

Better than bullion makes a garlic flavor that’s excellent

Q8ee posted:

I've got that instant pot and it's a life changer. Coincidentally, I've just finished putting a bunch of stuff in it and have it on a 30 minute timer (chicken, green bean and potato curry). I initially thought it'd end up as a typical kitchen gadget that gets used once in a blue moon, but after I used it a few times, I realised it's really good. Cleanup is real easy, use of the machine is a doddle, literally can't fault the thing.

The timer settings are really good, I can fry everything inside the pot, then close the lid, set the timer for 30 minutes and then go out with friends for an hour or two. By the time I get back home, the food is done and it's kept warm (at a temperature where bacteria can't multiply). I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

When I cook vegetable dishes, the vegetables are soft but still retain their texture. They don't turn to mush. Chicken comes out really tender, and I've also cooked beef dumplings in there as well. In the past (even with a slow cooker), casserole beef would always be really tough no matter how long or little I cooked it, but in the instant pot, it pretty much melts.

Same. My killer app with the instant pot is cooking dry beans in under an hour.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

One of these days I'm gonna make chicken stock and it's gonna blow me away.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Q8ee posted:

Sounds like blood in the meat.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I'm making the 72 hour short ribs. Any ideas for serving that aren't a red wine reduction etc with mash/polenta/risotto?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mashed rutabaga

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mashed-yellow-turnips-with-crispy-shallots-recipe-1944741

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I have a lot of white chicken chili that's been on the stove for a couple hours and the beans still aren't done. It's this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/white-chili-with-chicken-best.html

The chicken, cheese and cilantro haven't been added yet. Can I put this in the pressure cooker to force the beans to finish cooking? I'm hungry.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

EVG posted:

I have a lot of white chicken chili that's been on the stove for a couple hours and the beans still aren't done. It's this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/white-chili-with-chicken-best.html

The chicken, cheese and cilantro haven't been added yet. Can I put this in the pressure cooker to force the beans to finish cooking? I'm hungry.

If it's just beans and chicken juice I don't see why not.

Unfortunately beans can be a crapshoot sometimes; old or drier beans can take longer.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Ended up putting it in the slow cooker over night, beans finally done in morning.

Then husband put it on the stove up finish reducing and burned it.

15 loving hours down the drain.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that's grounds for divorce.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Tricks for making a fruit sorbet?

I'm hosting a dinner party tomorrow and want to serve something fruity and sweet in chocolate cups*. I've never made sorbet/gelato/ice cream before. Some of the sorbet recipes look pretty simple.

Could I just freeze equal amounts of raspberries and bananas, then blend (immersion blender) with some condensed milk and/or coconut milk just before serving? Could I riff off the "freeze a fruit, mix with something creamy, blend, serve" with whatever fruit I like? Will ice crystals ruin it if I make it a few hours before?

*Melt chocolate, dip a half-inflated balloon, freeze until solid, pop the balloon. It sounds cheesy, but it's a neat little touch.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can someone translate me a recipe for Mì Gói Xào

Is there a specific recipe you're looking at? Mì gói is packet ramen and xào means stir-fry so it can be any variety of stir-fries that use packet ramen as a base.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

EVG posted:

15 loving hours down the drain.

That's the universe punishing you for putting chicken in chili.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mich posted:

Is there a specific recipe you're looking at? Mì gói is packet ramen and xào means stir-fry so it can be any variety of stir-fries that use packet ramen as a base.

pork shoulder specifically, my local hole has it as Mì Gói Xào Heo. It has broccoli, sprouts, onions, pork, and it doesn't have sauce pooled or anything. Good to know it's packet ramen. The pork has corn starch on it but I'm not sure specifically what else.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

wormil posted:

That's the universe punishing you for putting chicken in chili.
Proof of a higher power right there.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bagheera posted:

Tricks for making a fruit sorbet?

Buy an ice cream maker? You can get one for like $30-40, only problem is that the cheap ones usually require you to put a freezing element in the freezer for 12-24 hours before use, and I guess that's not enough time.

But anyways, sorbet is generally made by mixing fruit juice (or pulp) with simple syrup, and then churning it in an ice cream maker. You can do it without though, follow the recipe, chill the sorbet mix in a fridge until it's as cold as you can expect, then put it in the freezer. You'll want to remove it from the freezer and mix it hard every 20-30m to break up ice crystals (immersion blender should work), then put it back and let it freeze some more. Once it's reached the consistenly of a thick slushy, it should be safe to just let it freeze without stirring it anymore.

The general idea is that you want it to freeze as fast as possible, hence wanting it as cold as possible before you go into the freezer. It also helps if you pour it into a wide tray, since sorbet mix which is an half an inch deep will freeze much faster than a bowl full which is 3 inches deep.

As for alternatives, the above technique will work on ice cream recipes as well. Granita is also easy to make but I'm not sure the texture will go as well with the chocolate cup. You could try and make some type of parfait (raspberry for example), they're not the same texture as a sorbet, and they're a bit fiddly to make, but they don't need an ice cream maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Did I make my gnocchi correctly?

After having been on Blue Apron for awhile I decided to try my hand at making my own thing, without following a recipe or anything. I really liked the gnocchi dishes so I tried to make my own, following the article by Serious Eats. The final product came out differently than I expected, like it came apart easily as soon as it got into your mouth. It was still pretty good, but the gnocchi I got from Blue Apron had more of a chew to them. I'm not sure if mine wasn't right, though, as I've seen gnocchi described as a melt-in-your-mouth thing.

If I wanted more chew, would that be solved with more flour? Not sure yet if I should change it, I'm just worried they're really delicate and I'd have to be extra careful when adding them to my sauce.