Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

While the quality does vary I have loved all the siege books tbh. It's the scale of it all for me. The stupid big scale of 40k is one of my favorite things and they really came through with it for the siege. I actually can't think of any scifi/fantasy I've ever read that had a set piece as big as the siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Biplane posted:

Mortis was not great, but solar war and lost and the damned were both good. Heap your scorn on me; God gives his toughest soldiers the hardest battles

Solar War was okay, lost and the damned could have been better, but Mortis was genuinely a bad book.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I remember one (1) thing that happened in solar war pluto exploded which puts it above lost and the damned for me, a book I definitely read but about which i remember nothing. the first wall I vaguely remember a sense of creeping malaise as I realized it wasn’t going to get better.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Lost and the Damned has those hilarious Chaos Primarch scenes though.

Like, full on Skeletor plus henchmen nonsense.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wouldn't skip any of them imo, Mortis was the hardest to get through for me, not terrible but I think the book would be better without any of the titan stuff honestly, that was the main part of the book and he made it boring but all the other side stories with the people manning the wall were pretty cool.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abnett is the best when there are no primarchs in the story

Imho

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
100% Mortis was the worst. Massive Titans breaching the last bastions of the Imperium . . . made boring as hell, somehow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The cover art was great though

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The bit in EoE where the titans are climing the ruins of the wall is awesome.

Fire the Ursus Claw :unsmigghh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The bit in EoE where the titans are climing the ruins of the wall is awesome.

Fire the Ursus Claw :unsmigghh:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Mortis also suffers from everyone (And I mean EVERYONE) going "Why is morale so low? Why are people committing suicide? Why does everyone have a constant feeling of malaise?" As if they haven't been fighting a war that includes literal demons and magic for the better part of a few months.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

I liked The Unremembered Empire :(

It's not -terrible-, just very mediocre. Nothing has room to breathe; you'll get someone thinking "I hope X doesn't happen." and the very next chapter will be "X has happened, ohnoes!", characters become flat, and some very silly action scenes get tossed in so people don't get antsy.

I love how the setting can't ever really pin down just how strong/killable a Primarch is. It's a tough job, granted. At times they will confidently wade into 200 enemies and come out unscathed to no one's surprise, at others a 10-guy unit of Alpha Legion with basic boltguns are supposed to be a skin-of-the-teeth five alarm dangerous death threat.

It gets funnier given how a big dramatic point in Betrayer was that Russ dared Angron into charging his vanguard alone, which was supposedly a sure deathtrap and proof that Angron was too damaged...when doing that is basically the primarch strategy 8 out of 10 times. Corax does it in the dropsite massacre, Guilliman does it in ruinstorm, Sanguinius does it all through the Siege of Terra, and Dorn's big regret in the end was that he WANTED to do it but couldn't.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

I love how the setting can't ever really pin down just how strong/killable a Primarch is. It's a tough job, granted. At times they will confidently wade into 200 enemies and come out unscathed to no one's surprise, at others a 10-guy unit of Alpha Legion with basic boltguns are supposed to be a skin-of-the-teeth five alarm dangerous death threat.

Guilliman is unarmed and, more importantly, unarmoured when the Alpha team get the drop on him. And he STILL kills all of them, then recovers from injuries that would be have been fatal to anyone else.

But yeah, tbh you're right. They're as strong or as weak as the plot demands.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

euphronius posted:

The Horus Heresy is the best when there are no primarchs in the story

Imho

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sephyr posted:

It gets funnier given how a big dramatic point in Betrayer was that Russ dared Angron into charging his vanguard alone, which was supposedly a sure deathtrap and proof that Angron was too damaged...when doing that is basically the primarch strategy 8 out of 10 times. Corax does it in the dropsite massacre, Guilliman does it in ruinstorm, Sanguinius does it all through the Siege of Terra, and Dorn's big regret in the end was that he WANTED to do it but couldn't.

I think the bit you're referring to is Abnett sort of playing with the much-asked question in this sort of comic-book serial fiction, "could we win this incredibly bombastic, drawn out, visually spectacular war by just shooting the protagonist in the head when he's not expecting it". And while it's a spirited attempt to inject some tension, ultimately the answer is you just can't kill a Primarch except with another Primarch in a suitably dramatic fashion at an appropriately climactic moment, because the plot demands it.

I'm definitely in the camp that wonders why capital ships never explode catastrophically in space battles, or get lost in the warp, when anyone too important is on board. But I accept that's not the point of these books.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It may not be possible to kill a Primarch in a way that isn't terribly dramatic. They're warp beings of a higher order than even the mightiest greater daemons, incarnated into bodies created with the most terrible genetic sciences of humanity's height by its greatest scientist and sorcerer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think the bit you're referring to is Abnett sort of playing with the much-asked question in this sort of comic-book serial fiction, "could we win this incredibly bombastic, drawn out, visually spectacular war by just shooting the protagonist in the head when he's not expecting it". And while it's a spirited attempt to inject some tension, ultimately the answer is you just can't kill a Primarch except with another Primarch in a suitably dramatic fashion at an appropriately climactic moment, because the plot demands it.

I'm definitely in the camp that wonders why capital ships never explode catastrophically in space battles, or get lost in the warp, when anyone too important is on board. But I accept that's not the point of these books.

If I ever wrote a 40k short story/whatever I'd have the main character die from a botched droppod launch or boarding torpedo or misaimed teleport or random warp navigation error or similar and then the rest of the story is from the POV of someone else.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The height of Genetic Mastery the Emperor achieved was discovering the gene for plot armor.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the way the warp works actually provides a fairly convincing watsonian explanation for primarchs’ plot armor. the warp basically runs on Terry Pratchett’s narrativium. Things happen because a sufficiently large number of thinking beings believe that they will or should. So you get things like Rogal Dorn beating the holy hell out of daemon Fulgrim while defending an Imperial Palace wall section, because Dorn’s whole deal is defending a wall he raised. At that moment, in that context, it’s likely that none of his brothers (save maybe Horus) could have beaten him.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
This is also a point of the Horus Heresy - Horus can't virus bomb Terra into nothing, because the 40k universe (and importantly, the Chaos Gods) are effectively slaves to symbolism. An attempt to simply annihilate the Emperor would result in the Gods themselves moving against him. Horus has, and needs to cast Him down, destroy His works and let him see it, or the universe itself wouldn't let it happen.

There's even a faction in Inquisitor that understands this, and tried to intentionally engineer dramatically significant moments for Chaos to nearly succeed then fail as a way to protect the broader Imperium. And what's funny about that is they're seen as immoral, insane radicals, whilst being entirely correct.

(And now I want to write a 40k book on this short premise, poo poo.)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the way the warp works actually provides a fairly convincing watsonian explanation for primarchs’ plot armor. the warp basically runs on Terry Pratchett’s narrativium. Things happen because a sufficiently large number of thinking beings believe that they will or should. So you get things like Rogal Dorn beating the holy hell out of daemon Fulgrim while defending an Imperial Palace wall section, because Dorn’s whole deal is defending a wall he raised. At that moment, in that context, it’s likely that none of his brothers (save maybe Horus) could have beaten him.

That's a fun theory, but demonstrably wrong since the Khan forces a tie, but morally and tactically wins over Mortarion by just standing there and taking the punishment, literally stealing his brother's hat.

I don't really mind as long as the writing is good, or at least fun. A talented enough writer can make any primarch beat any other by fiddling with circumstances, motivation, or other factors, and make it plausible (and with luck, thrilling).

Mostly, it comes down to making the stakes feel real. We've had a decent idea on who lives and who dies in the HH series, but the best books remind us that even if a character doesn't croak, doesn't mean he can't lose his honor, his mind, his friends or his dignity. I knew Lorgar wasn't going to die in Betrayer, but hot drat, it was darkly inspiring seeing him push through being blasted by titans, decked by Guilliman, then double-ambushed by a Contemptor and the whole surviving WE librarius, all for the 'victory' of saving a brother in the foulest way possible and losing his truest son.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Genghis Cohen posted:

Apparently the ship that takes Asteroth the Grim everywhere rarely encounters warp issues because his task of killing his brothers consumed by the Black Rage is such a terrible burden in Blood Angel culture that the warp kind of can't come up with anything worse and lets him on his way.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Just re-read the End and the Death, and the whole thing reads like a quasi religious text. It's an absolute masterpiece and evidence of what Abnett can do when he's unleashed.

I gotta say though the representation of big E is a lot different - and more sympathetic- than what I expected, especially in how Malcador sees Him. Its little things like how they share a bond that seems like genuine human friendship, thinking back to sitting around and discussing and chatting almost like equals. There's also stuff like how the Malcador notes that even while sat on the throne absolutely absorbed in his struggle with the warp the Emperor still soothes a soldier's fears here, grants rest and assurance to someone else there. There's even some genuine affection towards the four primarchs who came through to the end . No major spoilers, but better safe than sorry.
There's just a lot of suggestions of something like human emotions, even fears and fellow feeling.

Sure, you can say that it's all manipulation in the service of making the forces protecting the ultimate sanctum last just that second longer and preserving Himself that much longer, but I dunno. I feel like Abnett's take on the big guy is a lot more complicated and nuanced than what's come before. I kinda felt for Him, to be honest, while reading this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think that the portrayal of the Emperor is affected by whoever is encountering him, and I took the more human facets in EatD as being reflections of Malcador's own humanity.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

I think that the portrayal of the Emperor is affected by whoever is encountering him.

That's explicitly true, Master of Mankind being the book where it is most evident.

Sanguinius in a flashback during Echoes of Eternity can at least partially perceive the different "interpretations" of the Emperor simultaneously. He "hears" the Emperor referring to Sanguinius as his son and referring to him as a weapon and a tool at the same time, while referring to Himself as Sanguinius' father/creator/master. He also senses different, partly contradictory emotions from the Emperor.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

I think that the portrayal of the Emperor is affected by whoever is encountering him, and I took the more human facets in EatD as being reflections of Malcador's own humanity.

See, I'd expect Malcador to be able to see through something like that if anyone could. If we take Malcadors POV stuff as 'real' he definitely thinks big E is his friend, but like you say, it could all just be him believing what he's shown.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Nuclear War posted:

See, I'd expect Malcador to be able to see through something like that if anyone could. If we take Malcadors POV stuff as 'real' he definitely thinks big E is his friend, but like you say, it could all just be him believing what he's shown.

I think Malcador believes he's the only one to see through the mask and know the Emperor for what he truly is.

Whether that is true or not, well...

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

yep. In the end, I guess the glamour worked on me as well cause I definitely sympathised through EatD

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wiegieman posted:

It may not be possible to kill a Primarch in a way that isn't terribly dramatic. They're warp beings of a higher order than even the mightiest greater daemons, incarnated into bodies created with the most terrible genetic sciences of humanity's height by its greatest scientist and sorcerer.

yeah the warp works off tropes and poo poo. its why Chaos Lord Girmly facefuckus of the black legion is a hubristic gently caress, the warp might like to play with him and have him be drilled in the head at the height of his climb to power because some Rookie guardsman gets a lucky shot. you can't kill primarchs like that because the warp would never allow it.

Warden posted:

I think Malcador believes he's the only one to see through the mask and know the Emperor for what he truly is.

Whether that is true or not, well...

i think thats Big E's trick, he makes everyone think they can see through his mask. I will be overly sappy and say i do think he is genuinly friends with malcador and likes some of his sons even if he views them as tools. that doesnt make him a good dad though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Malcador is sympathetic and a good guy. The Emperor personally caused every bad thing that happened to the Imperium by being a hubristic moron and deserves way, way worse than he got.

On a different topic, I read the book where Lion El'Johnson comes back, and apparently him and his Fallen knights of the round eventually link back up with the main plot and make contact with the Ultramarines and Dark Angels? What books do I need to read to follow that plot thread, it sounds cool and I want to see what happens.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Malcador is sympathetic and a good guy. The Emperor personally caused every bad thing that happened to the Imperium by being a hubristic moron and deserves way, way worse than he got.

On a different topic, I read the book where Lion El'Johnson comes back, and apparently him and his Fallen knights of the round eventually link back up with the main plot and make contact with the Ultramarines and Dark Angels? What books do I need to read to follow that plot thread, it sounds cool and I want to see what happens.

That's all that is out so far besides the fifth Arks of Omen book which covers his fight with Angron along with ultramarine and dark angels who he snubs.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay I finished all the Dark Coil.

There is a lot to try to connect on a reread, but that's exactly what I'm doing. :shepface:

At the same time, this kind of quasi-serialization, the level of suspense, the extremely cool details to notice and connect, and the highly creative way of incorporating the fantastical elements of the setting to create horror -- what other writers have similar styles to Peter Fehervari? Not just BL. I've got a craving for this kind of stuff now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sephyr posted:

That's a fun theory, but demonstrably wrong since the Khan forces a tie, but morally and tactically wins over Mortarion by just standing there and taking the punishment, literally stealing his brother's hat.

I don't really mind as long as the writing is good, or at least fun. A talented enough writer can make any primarch beat any other by fiddling with circumstances, motivation, or other factors, and make it plausible (and with luck, thrilling).

Mostly, it comes down to making the stakes feel real. We've had a decent idea on who lives and who dies in the HH series, but the best books remind us that even if a character doesn't croak, doesn't mean he can't lose his honor, his mind, his friends or his dignity. I knew Lorgar wasn't going to die in Betrayer, but hot drat, it was darkly inspiring seeing him push through being blasted by titans, decked by Guilliman, then double-ambushed by a Contemptor and the whole surviving WE librarius, all for the 'victory' of saving a brother in the foulest way possible and losing his truest son.

I think that scene proves my point. Mortarion as a daemon is a lord of entropy. All things trend to zero, all hopes end in despair. He has traded joy and pleasure for eternal, droning monotony.

You can batter yourself against his ramparts endlessly and never break through. The only way to beat him is to do something unexpected, something out of character. When you act against your nature, especially when you do so with joy and in full knowledge that you will die, you are his complete antithesis, and that is how you beat him.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think that scene proves my point. Mortarion as a daemon is a lord of entropy. All things trend to zero, all hopes end in despair. He has traded joy and pleasure for eternal, droning monotony.

You can batter yourself against his ramparts endlessly and never break through. The only way to beat him is to do something unexpected, something out of character. When you act against your nature, especially when you do so with joy and in full knowledge that you will die, you are his complete antithesis, and that is how you beat him.

But that runs against Nurgle. Nurgle is entropy AND rebirth. He's the black mirror of a traditional Nature Goddess. This is why he has tension with Tzeentch, because Tzeentch is Change, but their remits overlap.

I mean, we can argue that Mortarion is just hosed, and he's 'just' despair/nihilism - It suits his character.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I just finished the Leviathan omnibus. I could read more stories about Tyranids doing their thing or one of the not-franchise pulp books on my shelf. Pretend I just discovered 40k, what else is there with 'nids?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

chainchompz posted:

I just finished the Leviathan omnibus. I could read more stories about Tyranids doing their thing or one of the not-franchise pulp books on my shelf. Pretend I just discovered 40k, what else is there with 'nids?

Technically they charge for this now, but it used to be free, and it's the best short story with Tyranids.
I was gonna post the link but, just google it, the first option is a PDF of it
The Fall of Malvolion

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm starting to warm to Tyranids. More than Chaos and Necrons, they embody that specifically Lovecraft brand of cosmic horror of highly elaborate monsters that are absolutely inhuman and regard our whole species as, at most, a nice dinner worth going out of their way for, and this is the only motivation of theirs that we're capable of perceiving, leaving anything else that drives them a complete unknown that's impossible to resolve.

Also with Genestealers they can have a creepy alien species-takeover angle that mostly avoids the racist miscegenation subtext.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 21, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The new Leviathan book that just came out (not to be confused with the Leviathan omnibus you are talking about) was pretty good and features some of the new tyranid subtypes and tactics in 10th edition.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Mortarion was beaten when he realised that literally everyone (including his own legion) thought he was weak and sold his soul to Nurgle because he couldn't endure the pain.

Such a wonderful line from Jaghatai: "My endurance is... superior."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

chainchompz posted:

Day Of Ascension is good, but that's about a Genestealer Cult on a Mechanicus world. So light on actual Tyranid stuff.