Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Flesh Forge posted:

e: I figured someone would do a mod to let you customize the Newgame+ mechanic and here it is
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2555218393&searchtext=archonexus

important caveat: this doesn't seem to let you change the archonexus quest for a game that is already running, although I'm pretty sure it works for new games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The issue I take with shooting is that it makes them basically into dedicated combatants, which is great if you have a lot of spare combat colonists, but just one production colonist can make everyone in the colony way better off, not least because the work speed bonuses makes them work much faster too.

Shooting I would say is very good if you are fielding a large combat force, though in that instance, being able to produce more quality gear could also be very useful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Having just one is still very beneficial though, since they get that AOE buff and also if you're into hunting they can just do that full time.
e: so, Tree Connection seems to have "Temperature: Tough" added to it now :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 1, 2021

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

OwlFancier posted:

The issue I take with shooting is that it makes them basically into dedicated combatants, which is great if you have a lot of spare combat colonists, but just one production colonist can make everyone in the colony way better off, not least because the work speed bonuses makes them work much faster too.

Shooting I would say is very good if you are fielding a large combat force, though in that instance, being able to produce more quality gear could also be very useful.

Shooters still can do animal handling, medical, social, and research, all of which is stuff that I don't mind them doing so my dedicated crafters can focus on their own things. Not to mention cleaning and hauling, you can never have too many people on those jobs really. The only thing I miss on Shooters is Plants because they could be foraging while on caravan.

If anything, I find Production's restricted job types more annoying because it makes it harder to justify switching someone to that specialization early on since I don't have enough raw materials coming in to keep them busy. Guess it would keep my research benches more consistently occupied though.

Flesh Forge posted:

Having just one is still very beneficial though, since they get that AOE buff and also if you're into hunting they can just do that full time.
e: so, Tree Connection seems to have "Temperature: Tough" added to it now :shrug:

I'm guessing that's for the "slept in the heat/cold" moodlets, the same way they got the Rough Living precept so they don't get a mood debuff for eating without a table.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a way to move an anima tree, cheating or otherwise? the tree on my current map is in the bottom corner right near the map exit, and its a cold biome so making that long trip is extremely not good for my tribals

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Vanilla I think your best option is to cut it down/destroy it somehow and hope it spawns somewhere better. Note that cutting it down causes a mood debuff to everyone, I think modified by psychic sensitivity. It's not a huge debuff and lasts for about 6 days, but you'll have to wait 30 days for a new one to appear.

With dev mode, deleting the current tree will also cause the debuff. I think there's a dev command that will spawn another one but I'm not certain and can't check right now.

There's probably a mod for moving them, though, if you aren't against mods.

isndl
May 2, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there a way to move an anima tree, cheating or otherwise? the tree on my current map is in the bottom corner right near the map exit, and its a cold biome so making that long trip is extremely not good for my tribals

Carcer already covered your vanilla options, but for mods there's Alpha Animals has an giant anima creature that I forget the exact name of, which slowly produces pearls that you can plant for an anima tree. The Meditation Freedom mod adds anima trees as an option in growing zones along with a bunch of other meditation numbers tweaks, but the mod should be safe to remove after you get a tree planted since it's all numbers tweaks to existing stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

With dev mode, deleting the current tree will also cause the debuff. I think there's a dev command that will spawn another one but I'm not certain and can't check right now.

you can place it with the "Try place direct thing" tool, I do this from time to time.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Coolguye posted:

my designs tend to be so starkly organized that i've been called a psycho in this thread before

I'm starting to see why.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
"Brutally and inhumanly optimised" is probably a better description.

Like the rimworld version of a machine that mechanically reclaims meat from an animal carcass.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

isndl posted:

So I fired up a test map in dev mode, and the efficiency of the turret box unsurprisingly varies according to the raiders' faction. Tribals have no armor and lovely weapons so it's mostly a question of whether or not they're bringing breachers, which seems to start becoming more common at higher point values. A pirate can drat near solo the box if he has frag grenades, but a standard composition of mostly guns tends to win unless they go for a multi-prong surround so all the turrets can contribute simultaneously. Mechanoids are almost a fair fight except when there's a Termite, then the thump cannon just ruins everything. In terms of point values I tested mostly the 500-1000 range, with the turrets usually but not always winning at 500 and usually losing at 1000.

it was a little more nuanced than that ime - tribals definitely tended to win more often than the pirates at 500 points because their lovely per-pawn budget meant that they would swamp the pillbox, they just provided too many targets and especially with the 8x8 design that tended to be the point where bad things happened. exceeding the target capacity of the pillbox is one of the sure ways to gently caress it up. at 500 points, pirates would be about 2 pawns shorter because they will waste budget on lovely hats, parkas, dusters, etc that are functionally zero armor anyway. frags are definitely anathema to the pillboxes, there's a couple of other weapons you seriously gotta watch out for because it's absolutely gonna crack the box apart - chain shotguns can knock a miniturret into "i'm blowing up" mode with one good salvo, for example. there's tons and tons of situations where you can expect heavy losses on your pillbox, but again, i'd rather lose a turret or two than a pawn's finger, toe, or nose any day of the week. in practice, i don't expect the pillbox to be fighting alone, i expect the pillbox to be distracting an enemy while one of my chain shotgunners rolls up and blasts someone in the back of the head. overall, though, i'm not that interested in trying to handle the frag problem with these designs because i strongly suspect it's not solvable.

quote:

Instead of a maxed out 12 turret bunker, I'm liking an 8 turret cross-shape design a little more. It handles a slightly fewer but similar number of raiders because it has more open fields of fire without all the separators, and costs less to replace when you lose the whole thing because the raiders got into melee range. You do sometimes lose a second turret on a facing when the first one lights up, but it seems relatively infrequent to be acceptable risk when you're planning on your turrets anyways.
do you mind providing a screenshot just so i'm clear on what your design is? i kept going back and forth on designs. tbh, i sort of had a completely alternate idea as i was falling asleep last night that turns the stated ethos of this pillbox on its head, but still kind of accomplishes the task at hand:

this pillbox is meant to be much more pawn-centric in that the turrets there have a good field of fire but are so isolated they are definitely nothing mroe than a momentary distraction. the actual value of the pillbox comes from having two or three pawns there to provide resistance against some dudes that would, at least ostensibly, be baited into wooden stool cover or would be forced to charge the position. this design doesn't even incorporate a power source because there are so few turrets and they're almost strictly ornamental that i'm not sure i care about their reliability that much; the central part of the box is literally just there to provide your pawns a bolt hole; if their position becomes untenable, they just slip through the doorways to the other side of the pillbox and retreat to the next position. even if someone with a breach hammer comes knocking, your pawns will be able to move through the doors faster than the breacher can crush through the structures and catch up.

quote:

My overall takeaway from this though is that trying to design a full standalone bunker in the field isn't the right approach, because even if you're designing under the assumption that raiders have to move past the bunker and the turrets on the back side can finally contribute, the breachers will instead opt to destroy the generator and then everything goes down. I think a standard conduit run to the forward turrets is overall preferable because of that, and have multiple lines of 4-6 turrets than a single bunker. None of this testing was done with an actual proper base for raiders to aim towards instead of just the lone bunker in the field though so grain of salt.
Interestingly, I found that the thump cannon on the Termites does not have the same massive damage on sandbags/barricades as it does walls, and seem to prioritize nearer sandbags over a wall a couple tiles away. Laying down sandbag lines in the field may be a reasonable countermeasure to take since that buys you a lot more time to snipe them with your marksmen before they start busting up your walls.
so this was also something i was thinking about - we already know about checkerboarding or slaloming traps into hallways and how that is particularly effective for resisting assaults while also being navigable. is it worthwhile to have a similar checkerboard of barricades/sandbags going out a couple of tiles from the pillbox? so in the separated design, where i have sandbags in front of each turret, does it make sense from a defensive perspective to push that out one more ring? i forget all of the semantics regarding how bullets interact with sandbags, but if it works like friendly fire semantics then barricades 2 squares away from the shooter will intercept incoming attacks, but not block outgoing ones. the idea that this could also confuse breach behavior in mechanoids is another really good point in favor of that if that is duplicable.

quote:

Playing around with the beauty view, going below -2.5 beauty is enough to get to the -10 Ugly Environment moodlet, which was basically anywhere within two tiles of the turret pillbox I was testing with.
ah nuts, that's definitely changed from 1.2, i did a dive into those breakpoints for my great hall design. good call, i'll have to look more into that at some point.

quote:

Mini-turrets do care about fire: steel ones are 28% flammability
yup good call i completely forgot about this. that being the case you would want stone barricades rather than the sandbags i'm using (i'm going to continue to use sandbags in these models because that's what i've started with hurr)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 1, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
A Commissar role where they get the general shooting buff but also have another ability with zero cool down where they murk one of your pawns and everyone's firing speed triples.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Honestly the only thing I worry about late game is termites. Long range, instant cover destruction, and they do significant aoe damage to pawns to boot. They're slow, so massed sniper fire is an option to delete them before they get to the walls, but man are they a huge pain in the rear end.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

e: actually

if you're gonna do the bit, do the bit :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 1, 2021

isndl
May 2, 2012

Coolguye posted:

do you mind providing a screenshot just so i'm clear on what your design is? i kept going back and forth on designs. tbh, i sort of had a completely alternate idea as i was falling asleep last night that turns the stated ethos of this pillbox on its head, but still kind of accomplishes the task at hand:

Don't have a pic handy but it was real simple, basically this:
code:
  TT
 WWWW
TWGGWT
TWGGWT
 WWWW
  TT
With a door jammed in one of the walls for generator access and a ring of sandbags around it. Raiders coming in at an angle get shot at by 4 turrets, raiders coming in straight get shot at by 6 until they get to the sandbags, then it's just the 2. Although now I'm wondering if taking out the corners of the generator wall would put turrets on the other sides at risk, I don't know enough about how explosion shaping in Rimworld works.

Coolguye posted:

this pillbox is meant to be much more pawn-centric in that the turrets there have a good field of fire but are so isolated they are definitely nothing mroe than a momentary distraction. the actual value of the pillbox comes from having two or three pawns there to provide resistance against some dudes that would, at least ostensibly, be baited into wooden stool cover or would be forced to charge the position. this design doesn't even incorporate a power source because there are so few turrets and they're almost strictly ornamental that i'm not sure i care about their reliability that much; the central part of the box is literally just there to provide your pawns a bolt hole; if their position becomes untenable, they just slip through the doorways to the other side of the pillbox and retreat to the next position. even if someone with a breach hammer comes knocking, your pawns will be able to move through the doors faster than the breacher can crush through the structures and catch up.

Might as well run a conduit out to it then, even if it's a 100 tiles away that's one turret's worth of steel to bring four turrets' worth of firepower online. Comedy option: use one of the unstable mechanoid power cells so it basically self-destructs when a breacher gets in.

If that design is intended to be a pawn boltholes however, why not move the sandbags/doors adjacent so the pawns can bolt faster? They can shoot from standing in the doorway after all. In fact, just make it three doors side by side so you can have three pawns ready to bolt at once.

Coolguye posted:

so this was also something i was thinking about - we already know about checkerboarding or slaloming traps into hallways and how that is particularly effective for resisting assaults while also being navigable. is it worthwhile to have a similar checkerboard of barricades/sandbags going out a couple of tiles from the pillbox? so in the separated design, where i have sandbags in front of each turret, does it make sense from a defensive perspective to push that out one more ring? i forget all of the semantics regarding how bullets interact with sandbags, but if it works like friendly fire semantics then barricades 2 squares away from the shooter will intercept incoming attacks, but not block outgoing ones. the idea that this could also confuse breach behavior in mechanoids is another really good point in favor of that if that is duplicable.

I don't know how extra sandbags interacts with hit mechanics, but a tradeoff is that standard raids get to cover slightly earlier while they're rushing you. Given how the Termite handles targeting though, maybe just a line of sandbags along the sides of your kill zones perpendicular to your primary defensive line will do the trick for those? I'd have to run tests on how their targeting works.

Coolguye posted:

yup good call i completely forgot about this. that being the case you would want stone barricades rather than the sandbags i'm using (i'm going to continue to use sandbags in these models because that's what i've started with hurr)

Sandbags are still zero flammability so use whatever's cheapest! Raiders seem to like randomly standing around busting sandbags/barricades anyways, might as well go for the cheap stuff unless you really want those extra seconds while they work on granite.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

isndl posted:

Might as well run a conduit out to it then, even if it's a 100 tiles away that's one turret's worth of steel to bring four turrets' worth of firepower online. Comedy option: use one of the unstable mechanoid power cells so it basically self-destructs when a breacher gets in.
:hai:

quote:

If that design is intended to be a pawn boltholes however, why not move the sandbags/doors adjacent so the pawns can bolt faster? They can shoot from standing in the doorway after all. In fact, just make it three doors side by side so you can have three pawns ready to bolt at once.
because the wall provides high cover and makes it so it's harder to get an angle on the pawns dug in there. i could definitely see hanging out in the doorway like that but you'd run into a situation where you have a huge firing arc incoming that will make your position easier to assault. the wall there can be manipulated to deny incoming firing arcs and waste more time.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

I'm starting my second Tunneler Archist Sect, after the first got eaten by a nasty infestation, and got a little overzealous with the planning tool!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
needs more one tile wide chokepoints on the long hallway

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Well this is a very strange bug. For some reason my butchering yield is dramatically increased. I have it set to 100% in the difficulty, I have no mods that mess with wildlife, food or butchering, the butcher yield stat of the pawns is normal... and yet a single turkey just yielded 77 birdskin and 214 meat. All other animals are the same, a single megasloth can feed the colony for months. What the hell?

I can start a vegan colony I guess but I'd rather find a way to fix this.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I didn't turn off the Imperial faction, didn't accept the defector, and don't intend to gain titles on this playthrough. Mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr7bF_ZFSB4

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

needs more one tile wide chokepoints on the long hallway

Here is my sad secret: I've never actually been very good at fighting or defending in this game. I dumped my last save after spending 12 hours attempting to kill an infestation I let go for too long. I also didn't like the other faction religions I had picked so I'm starting over.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm starting my second Tunneler Archist Sect, after the first got eaten by a nasty infestation, and got a little overzealous with the planning tool!

This is me. And then my first raider somehow downs 2 pawns, kidnaps the other, and I restart. Repeat as needed for hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Turns out the mod I ended up missing the most is whichever one I had that made it so colonists couldn't carry meals with them, forcing them to come back and eat in their nice dining room.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Turns out the mod I ended up missing the most is whichever one I had that made it so colonists couldn't carry meals with them, forcing them to come back and eat in their nice dining room.

that sounds awful

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
need a Floor Eater precept that actually gives a mood buff for eating without a table

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

that sounds awful

Whenever I have to eat without a table I freak the gently caress out and smash poo poo in my room

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

tetsuo posted:

need a Floor Eater precept that actually gives a mood buff for eating without a table

Honestly I'm surprised there isn't an ascetic meme that doesn't want cooked food or nice rooms.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Leal posted:

Honestly I'm surprised there isn't an ascetic meme that doesn't want cooked food or nice rooms.

Pain is virtue removes all comfort related thoughts (good or bad) but room impressiveness still counts unless they have the actual ascetic trait. And there's the precepts for making nutrient paste perfectly fine to eat which I think is transhumanist.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

TheDK posted:

This is me. And then my first raider somehow downs 2 pawns, kidnaps the other, and I restart. Repeat as needed for hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Crank it up to the next level and use the dev tools godmode mine order to dig, that way it at least all gets cleared out and you get ~an hour of gameplay of building rooms, clearing rubble, and making stone bricks before everything goes to poo poo :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You still want fine food to balance out the mood hit before you get neural accelerators/biosculpters up, especially if you start tribal. With all the penalties I think I'm -9 or something on pawns without a prosthetic due to injury and that don't get a turn on the neural charger.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Just realized that one of the pawns I got awhile ago in reaction to a good roll on a Ritual came with a loving Nuclear Stomach. Because he popped a Carcinoma in his torso, of course!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You can get pawns from rituals?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Carcer posted:

One of the options for a successful ritual is a chance of someone joining. They'll be a member of your ideoligion and will have traits that are compatible with it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Carcer posted:

What BattleMaster said, except I'll add I think that certain kinds of rituals can't have just any reward for a very good/best result. It's the drop-down, when customizing a ritual, where you can select stuff like "recharges psyfocus for participants," "bonus standing with a nearby faction," and "increased work speed for participants lasting x hours."

Some poo poo I meant to add to the nuclear stomach post: taking a hard Charitable Precept means that you're looking at serious mood problems for refusing any kind of join attempt, including the ones which come with whatever style of threat makes you, personally, reject them. In that fashion, it's an increased difficulty, but it also has the knock-on effect of growing your population substantially (for me on this map, faster than I could convert them to my ideology) which makes raids harder. I've now got three melee mooks whom I send into battle in front of my real melee line as distractions and bullet shields, in hopes that they will die.

I'm not refusing medical treatment, but I'm microing post-fight recovery to put them at the end of the triage list. We're going to start losing fighters regardless at this rate, and we're already losing gross but functional meat limbs faster than we'd be putting chrome out for the general population, except I've got Advanced Bionics researched and am in the home stretch to get the Chosen Five their poo poo all swapped out so we can gently caress off for the future.

It's a very developed compound in late-game stuff, clearly, so the Unbelievable rec room, other amenities, plus the fact that we've also got the :catdrugs: meme so colonists have unrestricted access to Yayo, Smokeleaf Joints, Beers, and Ambrosia anytime we get a bloom means that I can safely refuse charity on average once or twice a season, at the cost of reduced Inspiration pops (easy price to pay). I took on a couple of bodies at the expense of some hassle and violence early on, though, who didn't have many redeeming qualities.

isndl
May 2, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

One of the options for a successful ritual is a chance of someone joining. They'll be a member of your ideoligion and will have traits that are compatible with it.

My current build actually has four identical social festivals for the recruitment outcome because I spent all the leftover slots on it. I should think about modding the 50% join to guaranteed, there's already RNG on the festival quality.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

something really neat would be having prisoners that you convert and release have a chance to spread your ideoligion in their settlement and slowly see your ideoligion grow (or not) in the world

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Seriously, also give us the ability to hold, like, the equivalent of a Baptist Revival for our ideology, at the cost of some food and other stuff as appropriate, when we've got a Caravan with our Moral Guide there!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Brother Love's Traveling Cannibal Show

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Azhais posted:

Brother Love's Traveling Cannibal Show

You, too, could one day enter the pods and become one with all of the people, if only you accept His Word into your heart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pack up the babies, grab the old ladies...