Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Archonex posted:

There's a lot of info about the Institute. It's just hidden really well and leads to even more questions. For instance, the FEV thing isn't even the current generation of the Institute's fault. By all accounts the last director was a complete lunatic and is responsible for a lot of the poo poo you see in the wasteland at the start of the game.

Part of it is that the Institute content is hinting at a full blown expansion in relation to their past. The previous director and the head of the cybernetics division had to of gone somewhere, after all. And with the FEV project in play we could maybe see cybernetic super mutants.

The FEV project has to be a recent thing because Virgil is the one who shut it down in his escape. His terminal entries complain about how the project is old and never produces any viable results while being extremely immoral. However, the director refuses to shut it down. So unless i missed something that means Father was okay with continuing the FEV projects with no results because ???? I didn't get the impression that he only became the head of the Institute recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Internet Kraken posted:

The FEV project has to be a recent thing because Virgil is the one who shut it down in his escape. His terminal entries complain about how the project is old and never produces any viable results while being extremely immoral. However, the director refuses to shut it down. So unless i missed something that means Father was okay with continuing the FEV projects with no results because ???? I didn't get the impression that he only became the head of the Institute recently.

Super mutants don't really age fast. If at all. So he could have been out there for awhile.

Also the FEV logs and recordings appear to take place before Shaun is kidnapped. If you listen and read all of them carefully one of them mentions that they're thinking of getting a sample from one of the vaults.

Granted, part of the ambiguity of it is bad writing on the part of the developers. Unless you see that one log you'll assume that they all take place under Shaun's control. Shaun was actually the one who terminated alternatives to the whole "Mankind Redefined" project in favor of continuing Synth development using his genes. Kellogg is a product of the cybernetics alternative.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 26, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Archonex posted:

There's a lot of info about the Institute. It's just hidden really well and leads to even more questions. For instance, the FEV thing isn't even the current generation of the Institute's fault. By all accounts the last director was a complete lunatic and is responsible for a lot of the poo poo you see in the wasteland at the start of the game.

Part of it is that the Institute content is hinting at a full blown expansion in relation to their past. The previous director and the head of the cybernetics division had to of gone somewhere, after all. And with the FEV project in play we could maybe see cybernetic super mutants.
yeah this stuff is funny because it makes it clear that shaun being some revered figure actually has legitimate reasoning behind it beyond 'if we go against him all the synths will murder us in rebellion'
and even then he's still a dumb rear end in a top hat

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Jay Rust posted:

I just learnt about the Pipboy app. I've installed it and it works, but now I'm struggling to think of a use for it.

Having the map open constantly was pretty nice though I only did that for a few hours or so.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Internet Kraken posted:

Re: Father If you press Old Man Son about why he only unfroze you now, he implies he only recently came into the information that you were alive and that Kellogg killed his mother when he assumed the mantle of Director. Of course, 'recent' could mean anywhere from last month (unlikely) to a decade ago (more likely).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Archonex posted:

After you kill Kellogg and loot his cyber parts I held on to them forever because I kept expecting the game to introduce a cybernetics clinic and let me get bonuses for them or something

That's be good content for DLC/xpac is what I'm saying

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fereydun posted:

yeah this stuff is funny because it makes it clear that shaun being some revered figure actually has legitimate reasoning behind it beyond 'if we go against him all the synths will murder us in rebellion'
and even then he's still a dumb rear end in a top hat

Reading between the lines and picking the right conversation options shows that Shaun is at best a well meaning gently caress up who has some serious issues that screwed up the Commonwealth even after he fixed a lot of the previous director's batshit lunacy. At worst he's got a really loving dysfunctional view of the world.

I mean just for starters he literally shunned the surface world and helped the rest of the Institute encourage the same behavior up until the last few weeks/months of his life due to his first experience of it. And only then reconsidered a visit because his father or mother was up there.

He's still miles better than the last rear end in a top hat though. On a scale of flawed characters i'd pick "ethically flawed scientist that's trying to rebuild the wasteland" over "lunatic rear end in a top hat that literally forces his staff to experiment with mutating plagues and cybernetic horrors until they have a nervous breakdown" any day.

To the game's credit though you can get Shaun to admit that the Institute is flawed. And he sounds like he's actually got some serious regrets about how things have gone with both his own life and the Institute. Though there's no change to the actual story line if you do. :argh:

Edit:

Ironslave posted:

Re: Father If you press Old Man Son about why he only unfroze you now, he implies he only recently came into the information that you were alive and that Kellogg killed his mother when he assumed the mantle of Director. Of course, 'recent' could mean anywhere from last month (unlikely) to a decade ago (more likely).

It's implied that he's feeling at least a bit broken up about the way things have gone now that he's dying. So it was probably awhile ago. Hence the unfreezing, getting Kellogg killed, and everything that came after. Case in point, the child synth project. Which has no practical use except to try to give you a second chance at a family. He even leaves a brief holotape that's basically saying "I know you wanted to save me and get your son back. Here's your second chance." after he dies regardless of whether you betray the Institute or not.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 26, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baronjutter posted:

Pretty sure he's the littlest hobo

D-Dog noooo why did you do that to Quiet

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jeza posted:

Periodically people attack Starlight Drive-In for me but I don't really care. It tells me I failed, but it still registers people there so I dunno. Settlements seem pretty much pointless, other than as harvesting peons for junk.

It seems like certain stuff keeps happening at the same places. I think I've also had a couple Starlight Drive-In attacks, and I swear I've had three kidnappings at Nordhagen Beach.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Archonex posted:

Reading between the lines and picking the right conversation options shows that Shaun is at best a well meaning gently caress up who has some serious issues that screwed up the Commonwealth even after he fixed a lot of the previous director's mistakes. At worst he's got a really loving dysfunctional view of the world.

I mean just for starters he literally shunned the surface world and helped the rest of the Institute encourage the same behavior up until the last few weeks/months of his life due to his first experience of it. And only then reconsidered a visit because his father or mother was up there.

To the game's credit though you can get him to admit this. And he sounds like he's actually got some serious regrets about how things have gone with both his own life and the Institute. Though there's no change to the actual story line if you do. :argh:

I'm mad that you can't just constantly tell how disappointed you are in your old rear end in a top hat son. The game grinds to a halt and you can just not progress by making Father so aggravated and depressed that he'll crawl into bed and end the conversation for that game day.

As for animal replacement I've actually had settlement Brahmin apparently go rogue and loot their corpses to find synth components so they're already apparently synthing the current mutant animals. Who loving knows if all the poo poo you eat isn't just a synth animal replacements to see if they can sustain the population of the surface?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
none of this is coming off ever

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Robot cows is the best crazy :tinfoil: conspiracy theory idea and I love that the Institute is batshit enough to put it in action.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
One thing I would love is the ability to build actual decent quality settlements with clean buildings and proper non-ruined environments. Sure make it reliant on having a high science score or whatever but do it. The assets are there in the pre-war prologue/the institute etc. I love the idea of building this genuine oasis of normality amongst the chaos. Instead you can only build already ruined stuff because reasons.

Also is sanctuary bugged as a settlement? I keep assigning some of the original settlers to a shop but they constantly gently caress off to go hammer something. I don't know if that's an issue across all settlements though.

Also institute spoilers. Once again Bethesda fucks over a potentially great faction. Why are they kidnapping people? Christ make them ruthlessly pragmatic and utilitarian but at least give them a convincing reason to be boogeymen

Sorry if that's all been done to death but I'm not reading over 1000 pages

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if you could weaponize robot cows.

Maybe tabitha was right.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Robot cows is the best crazy :tinfoil: conspiracy theory idea and I love that the Institute is batshit enough to put it in action.

It's pretty great that you actually can get synth infiltrator brahmin attacking your settlement. Though it's a very low chance due to how few brahmin you'll have across a game compared to settlers.

I was browsing a reddit thread acting as a repository for bugs to see if I could find a way to fix the radio transmitter issue when I noticed a post mentioning that they had a cow suddenly go berserk and attack settlers. Only when they looted the corpse they discovered it had a synth component on it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 26, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah the main plot seems to have a huge hole. If Shaun was kidnapped 60 years ago, why does Kellog's terminal in his fort say that he just turned over the kid and they have orders to move out soon?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

blue squares posted:

Yeah the main plot seems to have a huge hole. If Shaun was kidnapped 60 years ago, why does Kellog's terminal in his fort say that he just turned over the kid and they have orders to move out soon?

Does it mean the Synth child?

Also, the relationship between Father and the PC is something that a whole Sci-Fi novel could be written about. I wan't something that looks at them much more closely.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 26, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Reveilled posted:

No. If you side with the Brotherhood, you get sent on a mission to wipe out the railroad HQ, as the BoS believe synths should be exterminated, not freed. If you side with the Railroad, you first have to repulse that attack, then the railroad retaliate by attacking the Prydwen.

The Brotherhood are only interested in Securing an Existence for their People and a Future for Squire Children. Don't side with Sky Captain Hitler.

see, I agree but at the same time, i feel like the brotherhood is kinda of a good bet for stabilization in the wastes. plus power armor and fusion cores

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Does it mean the Synth child?

Also, the relationship between Father and the PC is something that a whole Sci-Fi novel could be written about. I wan't something that looks at them much more closely.

Why would the Synth child ever be outside of the Institute and the need to be delivered?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Archonex posted:

It's pretty great that you actually can get synth infiltrator brahmin attacking your settlement. Though it's a very low chance due to how few brahmin you'll have across a game compared to settlers.

I was browsing a reddit thread acting as a repository for bugs to see if I could find a way to fix the radio transmitter issue when I noticed a post mentioning that they had a cow suddenly go berserk and attack settlers. Only when they looted the corpse they discovered it had a synth component on it.

Synth Cows are the perfect spies to watch the surface without anyone suspecting them. They are the backbone of every trade caravan throughout the Commonwealth and the Wasteland in general. Most of the time settlements won't even eat them as they like the fertilizer for their plants and maybe the milk if not the beast of burden. They'll just sit there and watch it all and no one will suspect a thing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

blue squares posted:

Why would the Synth child ever be outside of the Institute and the need to be delivered?

Good point. Do we get a date on the logs in Kellog's hideout?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Are there ways to respec via console commands or something? I know you can add to your SPECIAL but you can't use that for picking perks, and I don't think you could reduce other SPECIALs in order to compensate.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

blue squares posted:

Father puts them there to act as a beacon to you, he wants to see if you're interested in finding him after all these years. He puts Kellog in your way to give you both some measure of revenge. That, and as they say, they're starting to experiment with the effects of extreme emotional stimuli

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

blue squares posted:

I think the experiment was to see if the synth child acted well in normal circumstances, like actually living in a house in a city, with a "family" so to speak (Kellogg mentions how he actually kinda liked that assignment exactly because of the family part)

e: ^^^ oh nevermind

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What was the Brotherhood of Steel's attitudes towards ghouls and super mutants in FO1 and FO2?

Because honestly their attitudes towards Synths seems kind of what the Outcasts in FO3 were like. IE : Much more like canon BoS than the Citadel group.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 26, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also to set up the big twist about Shaun for the player.

That's literally it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Overall Fallout lore question Was the Institute the ones who ran the Vault-Tec project or was that the Enclave? Or a group that fell apart by the time the first game came out?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The brotherhood got a lot shittier between Fallout 3 and 4.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That makes sense about the synth child. thanks

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

BigRed0427 posted:

Overall Fallout lore question Was the Institute the ones who ran the Vault-Tec project or was that the Enclave? Or a group that fell apart by the time the first game came out?

Vault-Tec were the ones who ran the Vault-Tec project. The Enclave are the remnants of the American government, who while Vault-Tec had very close ties to were separate from. Similarly, the Institute is separate from everyone.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As much as I like the Railroad and the idea of giving sentient machines free will, I decided to join the Institute because I love science, they're probably the best hope for rebuilding the world, and lastly, the floors are clean and they have working toilets.

I did decide early on that no matter what faction I joined, I wanted to gently caress over the BOS because gently caress those tech-hoarding fascist zealots.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What happens with The Pillars of the Community if you don't immediately threaten/murder them like I did?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NESguerilla posted:

What happens with The Pillars of the Community if you don't immediately threaten/murder them like I did?

You can give them your stuff.

They take your stuff.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

Pre-F3 there was no Institute afaik. In Bethesda-lore I'm pretty sure Vault-Tec would be under Enclave control, or those Illuminati-esque figures from Point Lookout.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

The brotherhood got a lot shittier between Fallout 3 and 4.

That's the thing, from what I understand the BoS in Fallout 4 is more in line with their portrayal in FO1/2. They were always super hostile to super mutants and fairly hostile (Though not always 'instant murder' hostile) towards Ghouls. Their attitudes towards synths seem perfectly in line with how they were in the original two games. They constantly go on, and on, and on about how the brotherhood is trying to save people from misused technology. They see the synths as EXACTLY THAT - technology being misused to the detriment of humanity. To them, their entire purpose is to stop the Institute and the synths in general. They're practically religious in their beliefs and here's a group that violates their most basic, fundamental purpose. So they go full on murderboner against them. Seems natural to me.

I'm not trying to justify their position as being the right one or not, just saying that from everything I know about the brotherhood their portrayal in FO4 seems fairly spot on and I honestly am not surprised that they are so rabidly violent and murderous towards the Synths. I know a LOT of people were complaining back in FO3 that the BoS threw away all the interesting lore and history it had in the first two games and were totally out of character by trying to be the good guys out to save the wasteland. Now that they're back to their roots and doing what the order was created to do, everyone's pretty worked up calling them nazis and so on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

There's a sidequest involving them but I killed them all before it happened. Impressively for Bethesda, this was actually commented upon.

But yeah, like Nuebot said. You have to wonder if the game just assumes you're going to kill them because of course you're not going to let them take all of your possessions.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Prokhor posted:

Vault-Tec were the ones who ran the Vault-Tec project. The Enclave are the remnants of the American government, who while Vault-Tec had very close ties to were separate from. Similarly, the Institute is separate from everyone.

This really makes me think what the loving long term plan with the vaults were once they got the data they needed for the experiments. How long did the experiments intended to last? Did Vault-Tec think they would survive the war to use their data to actually colonise deep space?

New theory: Vault Tec was run by the Underpants Gnomes.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
IIRC, Vault-Tec never expected total annihilation like what happened. They expected a few bombs here and there, enough to shove everyone in the vaults and re-open in a few years -- with themselves and a select few of the government in control of the US.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

khy posted:

That's the thing, from what I understand the BoS in Fallout 4 is more in line with their portrayal in FO1/2. They were always super hostile to super mutants and fairly hostile (Though not always 'instant murder' hostile) towards Ghouls. Their attitudes towards synths seem perfectly in line with how they were in the original two games. They constantly go on, and on, and on about how the brotherhood is trying to save people from misused technology. They see the synths as EXACTLY THAT. To them, their entire purpose is to stop EXACTLY what the synths are - an abuse of technology to the detriment of humanity. Their entire purpose is to stop it. They're practically religious in their beliefs and here's a group that violates their most basic, fundamental purpose.

I'm not trying to justify their position as being the right one or not, just saying that from everything I know about the brotherhood their portrayal in FO4 seems fairly spot on and I honestly am not surprised that they are so rabidly violent and murderous towards the Synths. I know a LOT of people were complaining back in FO3 that the BoS threw away all the interesting lore and history it had in the first two games and were totally out of character by trying to be the good guys out to save the wasteland. Now that they're back to their roots and doing what the order was created to do, everyone's pretty worked up calling them nazis and refusing to side with them and poo poo.

The thing is, they were always interesting as sort of dubious jerks, just in FO1 and 2 there was always someone worse that warranted teaming up with them to a degree.

They were most interesting in New Vegas, where they explored the consequences of their toxic beliefs and policies. That is, starting a war with an actual developed nation and getting crushed underfoot because their pro-purity stance and hostility towards outsiders, especially outsiders with technology, made their extinction an inevitability.

Now they're Nazis and that's actually fine, too, if you like that sort of thing. I would have felt bad wiping out the Mojave Brotherhood but I've got no problems sending the burning wreck of the Prydwen tumbling into the Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

This really makes me think what the loving long term plan with the vaults were once they got the data they needed for the experiments. How long did the experiments intended to last? Did Vault-Tec think they would survive the war to use their data to actually colonise deep space?

New theory: Vault Tec was run by the Underpants Gnomes.

The vaults which were parts of experimens were never intended to be the seeds of humanity's future and so on. There were 'control group' vaults designed to fulfill that role. The purpose of the vaults was to experiment on people to determine the best way to control/coerce/lead them. A great many vaults are designed with this 'control' aspect in mind. Vault 101 which was basically a dictatorship. A vault full of clones. A vault where music was trying to coerce people. A vault to test how people would react to compulsory human sacrifice 'for the greater good'. Things like that.

• Locked thread