Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Eej posted:

It's cool to know that I and my entire second gen immigrant peer group are disrupting the social cohesion of Canada despite having no contact or roots with "the homeland" and identify as Canadian above all else but oh no my mom doesn't speak English perfectly and runs a law firm that primarily services Cantonese and Mandarin clients except all the younger Chinese clientele all speak English for business now anyway.

I am curious as to what essential life changing experiences I have missed out on by not being born a 5th generation white Canadian though and why I'm deserving of pity.
Not even Chinese people like Chinese people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
*mortgages 800k house

*can't afford $200/month heating bill

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
These are rural Ontarians we're talking about, it's just as likely they've mortgaged a $150k house and can't afford $200/mo. in utilities.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol rurals gently caress em

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Anyone want to take bets on the Liberals backing out of legalized marijuana now that the Trump administration is going to reignite the war on drugs and target states that legalized it?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
good, gently caress stoners

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

namaste faggots posted:

good, gently caress stoners

Yes, evidently people try that a lot

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I would have bet on that happening before the news today.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm not loving clicking a link to give some poo poo rear end paper a pageview

paste the article rear end in a top hat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:qq:

Canadian Journalism posted:

Pot dispensary workers question what legal rights they have

Sexual harassment, robberies and police raids threaten employees of illegal pot shops.
Police remove marijuana products from a dispensary in Kensington Market in May 2016.
Police remove marijuana products from a dispensary in Kensington Market in May 2016. (Carlos Osorio / Toronto Star) | Order this photo
By Peter GoffinStaff Reporter
Wed., Feb. 22, 2017

Sarah has no illusions about the pot dispensary that employs her.

She knows it’s illegal. She knows it’s not a licensed medical service. She knows that, by working there, she risks being caught up in police raids and armed robberies.

Sarah, who asked for her name to be changed for fear of being fired, is a self-described “bud-tender,” a $13-per-hour shift worker on the front lines of Toronto’s illegal marijuana industry.

The job was an easy paycheque when she badly needed one. After months behind the counter at Canna Clinic in Kensington Market, Sarah has amassed a litany of complaints, from sexual harassment by customers to fears of police raids and armed robberies.

But the unlawful nature of the dispensary business has Sarah wondering what her workplace rights are and what recourse, if any, is available to her when management lets her down.

Canna Clinic operates seven dispensaries in Toronto and six in British Columbia.

Its website described the company as “Canada’s leading provider of medical cannabis products and accessories.”

Canna Clinic is not, however, one of the 38 marijuana producers licensed by Health Canada. Nor are any of Toronto’s other storefront pot sellers.

“Licensed producers distribute medical marijuana by mail to authorized users,” Tammy Robinson, spokesperson for the City of Toronto’s licensing and standards division told the Star in 2016. “Storefront distribution of medical marijuana is illegal and not permitted.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s campaign pledge to legalize and regulate the sale of marijuana sparked hundreds of entrepreneurs to open pot shops across Canada.

Trudeau and law enforcement have maintained, however, that until new legislation is in place, existing prohibition laws are to be upheld.

Toronto police raided dozens of shops, and laid over 180 charges, as part of its dispensary crackdown in May 2016.

Since then, police say, officers have raided one dispensary per week, on average.

Meanwhile, there have been at least 13 robberies of Toronto dispensaries since June 2016.

On various occasions, staff and customers were threatened with a knife, held at gunpoint, even assaulted by the robbers.

Having an abundance of cash and weed around makes Sarah’s co-worker Lisa uneasy.

Lisa, whose name has been changed at her request, said she has to put thoughts of robberies and raids out of her mind, otherwise she would be unable to work at the dispensary.

Lisa and Sarah both say managers are reluctant to talk about either possibility.

“They don’t want to discuss it with us,” said Lisa. “The last (Toronto) dispensary robbery that happened, I’m the one who found out about it online ... I was the one that alerted everyone on staff.”

Management has also failed to adequately address staff harassment by customers, Sarah said.

“I’ve had a lot of men come in and say really rude things to me,” Sarah said.

“You know (managers) don’t have your back. If something happens, customers don’t get banned, they’re allowed to come in again.”

On top of all that, Sarah said, she was promised a raise after three months, but never received it.

In a letter to the Star, a lawyer for Canna Clinic called Sarah and Lisa’s claims “malicious and defamatory,” and said the dispensary treats its employees “well and professionally.”

“My client takes sexual harassment allegations very seriously and has procedures in place to address any such allegations,” wrote B.C. attorney Kirk Tousaw. “My client denies that any have been made.”

Tousaw went on to say that Canna Clinic management has an “open door policy” for staff to discuss raids and robberies, has security at all its locations and had installed panic buttons in its stores.

Further, he wrote, raises are given to Canna Clinic employees based on longevity and performance.

All workers, even those employed by unlicensed businesses, are afforded certain government protections, said Ontario Ministry of Labour spokesperson Janet Deline.

“When a Ministry of Labour Health and Safety inspector conducts an investigation, the focus is on the possible hazard and the health and safety of workers in the workplace, not whether or not the company is licensed,” Deline said in an email.

Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act grants workers the right to know about workplace hazards, refuse unsafe work and participate in the addressing of workplace health and safety issues, she added.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 24, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha

where is our loving weed mentat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It turns out millenials don't know the historical meaning of "outlaw"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

holy poo poo this mothefucker sure loves weed

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Well, yeah, its literally his job.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Remember the umbrage taken when I dared to suggest that illegally operating dispensaries might be selling illegally sourced marijuana? I mean how could we believe such a thing about these honest upstanding businesses that are just trying to get by in a complicated and shifting regulatory environment?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Remember the umbrage taken when I dared to suggest that illegally operating dispensaries might be selling illegally sourced marijuana? I mean how could we believe such a thing about these honest upstanding businesses that are just trying to get by in a complicated and shifting regulatory environment?

Cant wait to buy some Loblaws PC Brand Weed I see.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
let there be no doubt, the entire loving weed lobby is about one thing and one thing only, legal unfettered access to weed. all those elegantly spun talking points about the medicinal, therapeutic and socially cohesive qualities of weed are meaningless shibboleths

minimium age for weed purchase? government liquor boards exclusively selling weed? whoa whoa whoa this will just reduce my access to some dank nugs!!! this is govenrment oppression you guys

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I can't wait for something being sold as medicine or a recreational substance to be regulated for purity and strength, like every other substance sold as medicine or for recreational use.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im sure the new breed of homeopaths will see their products regulated by purity and strength.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

I can't wait for something being sold as medicine or a recreational substance to be regulated for purity and strength, like every other substance sold as medicine or for recreational use.

Me neither, I hate when I buy a fine craft beer that says 75 IBUs and it's clearly closer to 60.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Me neither, I hate when I buy a fine craft beer that says 75 IBUs and it's clearly closer to 60.

The alc by volume usually isn't off too far though is it?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

namaste faggots posted:

let there be no doubt, the entire loving weed lobby is about one thing and one thing only, legal unfettered access to weed. all those elegantly spun talking points about the medicinal, therapeutic and socially cohesive qualities of weed are meaningless shibboleths

minimium age for weed purchase? government liquor boards exclusively selling weed? whoa whoa whoa this will just reduce my access to some dank nugs!!! this is govenrment oppression you guys

Do you do Twitter as well?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only thing worse than weed is people who do the weed.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Furnaceface posted:

Anyone want to take bets on the Liberals backing out of legalized marijuana now that the Trump administration is going to reignite the war on drugs and target states that legalized it?

I'm long a couple Canadian weed stocks so I guess I've already made that bet lol.

My hope would be that enough money has flowed into the industry already by this point that their lobbying clout has them in too deep with the Libs to turn around now. Too many well connected people would get burned.

Long as Trump keeps the Bigger Badder Final Ultimate War on Drugs within their borders and doesn't throw any heat our way, should be OK. But they so much as lean the tiniest bit of pressure on us and yeah, the Libs will fold in a heartbeat.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 26, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

They should really find advocates for legalization who don't use cannabis. There have to be some, right?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Vapers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh my god yes, if you vape, gently caress you

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

They should really find advocates for legalization who don't use cannabis. There have to be some, right?

yes but they're all in league with 'cannibinol is big pharma u guys' and reiki master fucks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh my god yes, if you vape, gently caress you

It's literally the worst form of nicotine delivery I've ever experienced, you look like a tool as you're doing it, and you still can't do it wherever you like (unlike snus, which is comparatively tasty and discreet). Also, it made my lungs feel way worse than smoking ever did -- even if it's safer long-term, it loving sucks short-term.

Vaping: a bad product for morons.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

yes but they're all in league with 'cannibinol is big pharma u guys' and reiki master fucks

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

It's literally the worst form of nicotine delivery I've ever experienced

Nicotine!? That's gross. I just use it to vape giant clouds of peppermint flavoured sugar water on the bus like a real cultured gentleman.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

PT6A posted:

Me? I don't use it but I think it should be legal :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Do you have $1500 for a seat at a dinner where Bill Blair is present?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Farecoal posted:

Yeah, me too. I think they should pay us to advocate for legalization.

I mean, I'm not going to do it in my spare time because I don't really give a gently caress, but I'd do it for a decent salary.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Butcher posted:

Nicotine!? That's gross. I just use it to vape giant clouds of peppermint flavoured sugar water on the bus like a real cultured gentleman.

Is there a vape juice flavour that doesnt smell like what I assume Rainbow Brites fart's smell like?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Sure, I don't smoke weed and I advocate for it to be legal. The social and economic cost of enforcement far outweighs any impact from the usage of marijuana.

I should start up a think tank that shits out policies written by overpaid, agenda driven 'experts'. I could call it the Reefer Institute.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Is there a vape juice flavour that doesnt smell like what I assume Rainbow Brites fart's smell like?

No. Also, all the simulated tobacco flavour juices are really, really loving awful.

EoRaptor posted:

Sure, I don't smoke weed and I advocate for it to be legal. The social and economic cost of enforcement far outweighs any impact from the usage of marijuana.

I should start up a think tank that shits out policies written by overpaid, agenda driven 'experts'. I could call it the Reefer Institute.

There's lots of people who don't use weed but think it should be legal (me included), but it seems like the actual public voices associated with the legalization movement don't come from that group. That's my point: why don't pro-marijuana people who don't use marijuana get hired by pro-marijuana groups to lend the movement a more respectable, less self-interested face?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

apatheticman posted:

Is that like a lite-brite from the 90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Is that like a lite-brite from the 90s?

It sounds like a my little pony but I'm not going to check because I don't need that fuckin weird poo poo in my search history.