Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Quotey posted:

A truck of laundry? Is there dropshipping for clothes cleaning?

Uniforms, tablecloths, napkins, and aprons for restaurants. Lab coats and coveralls for industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/DahliaZahava/status/1442094247285563394

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Quotey posted:

A truck of laundry? Is there dropshipping for clothes cleaning?

Lots of dry cleaners don't have a plant on site and will ship it off to a place that has the equipment. Or they have dry cleaning equipment but not washers and will ship the wash-and-fold off to a laundry.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also places like group living homes or rehabs have truckloads of linen and usually a company comes to pick them up and brings cleaned (and plastic wrapped lmao) sheets etc

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Please think of the pipelines.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Every time a pipeline gets blown up Gaia cums

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
ty for laundry details, makes perfect sense. obviously it has to travel to be distributed lol

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Jeryl

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Quotey posted:

ty for laundry details, makes perfect sense. obviously it has to travel to be distributed lol

yep, commercial and industrial places of all sorts ship poo poo out to be washed en masse. the pizza place I inshopped at did it for the aprons we wore for example

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

dogg i cannot brook the gossamer bloatee

/ :preacher:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/eweissunburied/status/1432792224270483461?s=20

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
More like anthrapologists, am I rite?

Apologists for desecrating human remains and cultural artefacts with no regard to the extant peoples of those cultures.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm in STEM and all pro-science and all, but just take some drat photos and return them back to the people you stole them from.

Science doesn't give you carte blanche to be a turd. Maybe try being respectful and asking next time.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 04:50 on Sep 27, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I found a hot take.

Kim Bong Chill posted:

Take your classist oppression theater elsewhere

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This person is a literal phrenologist btw

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Apologists for desecrating human remains and cultural artefacts with no regard to the extant peoples of those cultures.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm in STEM and all pro-science and all, but just take some drat photos and return them back to the people you stole them from.

Science doesn't give you carte blanche to be a turd. Maybe try being respectful and asking next time.

Anthropologists are pretty cool dudes if you're the head of an extraction company looking for an in on indigenous lands

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Office Pig posted:

Anthropologists are pretty cool dudes if you're the head of an extraction company looking for an in on indigenous lands

Yes. Yes they are.

Rio Tinto blasts 46,000-year-old Aboriginal site to expand iron ore mine

quote:

A sacred site in Western Australia that showed 46,000 years of continual occupation and provided a 4,000-year-old genetic link to present-day traditional owners has been destroyed in the expansion of an iron ore mine.

The cave in Juukan Gorge in the Hammersley Ranges, about 60km from Mt Tom Price, is one of the oldest in the western Pilbara region and the only inland site in Australia to show signs of continual human occupation through the last Ice Age. It was blasted along with another sacred site on Sunday.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

I read an interview with a doctor in the Dutch biblebelt who would ask her patients who refused the vaccine literally this instead. A good bunch of them then agreed and she gave them the vaccine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

I read an interview with a doctor in the Dutch biblebelt who would ask her patients who refused the vaccine literally this instead. A good bunch of them then agreed and she gave them the vaccine.
The Chinese one? Because that’s not what the rest of them are, AFAIK.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i cannot overstate my hatred for anthropologists

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hmm let's do a bare bones minimal search of their twitter history while I take a sip of this here drink....

here's a retweet

https://twitter.com/History_Reclaim/status/1430228037996531714

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kaedric posted:

Hmm let's do a bare bones minimal search of their twitter history while I take a sip of this here drink....

here's a retweet

https://twitter.com/History_Reclaim/status/1430228037996531714

hell yeah, drat America, the Tories should have crushed the Revolution

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

lmao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Chinese one? Because that’s not what the rest of them are, AFAIK.

True, but she'd say something like "would you like to have a medicine to train your immune system to fight the virus?" or something like that.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

https://twitter.com/boelder/status/1442303901710045185

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Traditional knowledge, like oral traditions, is rarely recorded in written form. Experts on oral traditions, such as Glynn Custred, estimate that in less than 1,000 years oral traditions are not likely to contain any factual information. Alexander von Gernet notes “neo-traditions” are invented to create a symbolic link between the past and the present, even when no link exists. Furthermore, oral traditions, and tribal traditional knowledge in general, are awash with tales of creation, mythical creatures and supernatural events. CalNAGPRA chooses religion over science.

But, when you actually look into it,

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/ancient-stories-could-be-more-fact-than-fiction

quote:

The Tjapwurung, an Aboriginal people in what is now southern Australia, shared the story of this bird hunt from generation to generation across an unbelievably large slice of time — many more millennia than one might think possible. The birds (most likely the species with the scientific name Genyornis newtoni) memorialized in this tale are now long extinct. Yet the story of the Tjapwurung’s “tradition respecting the existence” of these birds conveys how people pursued the giant animals. At the time of this particular hunt, between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago, volcanoes in the area were erupting, wrote amateur ethnographer James Dawson in his 1881 book Australian Aborigines, and so scientists have been able to corroborate this oral history by dating volcanic rocks.

quote:

Like Aboriginal Australians, the Klamath people became literate within the last 200 years or so. Before that, their societies were oral. Information and stories were passed on verbally from one generation to the next. In such societies, two factors generally create the conditions necessary for millennia-long preservation of accurate oral histories: specialized story-keepers and relative cultural isolation.

What are the limits of such ancient memories? For what length of time can knowledge be transferred within oral societies before its essence becomes irretrievably lost? Under optimal conditions, as suggested by science-determined ages for events recalled in ancient stories, orally shared knowledge can demonstrably endure more than 7,000 years, quite possibly 10,000, but probably not much longer.

quote:

In a nutshell, the unique conditions of Australia led to some of the world’s oldest stories. Some recall the time when the ocean surface was significantly lower than it is today, the shoreline was much farther out to sea, and lands now underwater were freely traversed by Australians. These stories are known from perhaps 21 places around the Australian coast, and most are interpreted as memories of the time when sea level was rising after the last great ice age — a process that ended around 7,000 years ago in Australia. Based on the evidence, these oral histories must have been passed down for more than seven millennia.

quote:

Humanity has direct memories of events that occurred 10 millennia ago. This conclusion runs against what many anthropologists and others have inferred about both the factual basis and the longevity of such oral traditions. Science more broadly has generally been dismissive of these, largely considering them anthropological curiosities, minutiae that define particular cultures. Now many of us are forced to look at ancient stories as potentially more meaningful. The preservation of extant oral traditions, in whatever cultures they may still be found, is imperative — they help define us all.

https://www.sciencealert.com/ancient-legend-of-volcanic-eruption-37-000-years-ago-may-be-oldest-story-on-earth

quote:

An ancient oral tradition, passed down for countless generations, tells of how an ancestral creator-being transformed into the fiery volcano, Budj Bim. Almost 40,000 years later, new scientific evidence suggests this long-shared legend of the Dreaming could be much more than a myth.

New mineral-dating measurements conducted by Australian scientists highlight the possibility that the traditional telling of Budj Bim's origins may be an actual account of two historic volcanic eruptions that took place in the region about 37,000 years ago – which, if true, might make this the oldest story ever told on Earth.

"If aspects of oral traditions pertaining to Budj Bim or its surrounding lava landforms reflect volcanic activity, this could be interpreted as evidence for these being some of the oldest oral traditions in existence," the researchers, led by geologist Erin Matchan from the University of Melbourne, write in their study.

quote:

"We in the West have only scratched the surface of understanding the longevity of Australian Indigenous oral histories," archaeologist Ian McNiven from Monash University told Science.

The findings are reported in Geology.

and a reference to it in this Science article https://www.science.org/news/2020/02/aboriginal-tale-ancient-volcano-oldest-story-ever-told

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can literally just take a CT scan of bones or MRI of soft tissue and 3D print an exact copy. There's absolutely no excuse.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait, what?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
We don't have direct memories. We have transmitted memories.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

Wait, what?

https://twitter.com/thebirdmaniac/status/1442288178971303936

https://twitter.com/thebirdmaniac/status/1442293191667978240

She's mad that her phrenology collection is getting taken away

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
when I first saw that tweet I fully assumed she meant reburied by like a landslide or something and was seeking conservation help lol

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

she’s got a bunch of tweets recently about how she’s been labeled a racist by her department chair and whining about politics in archaeology

Also lmao Rushton is easily in the top 5 examples of “don’t ever be like this idiot” that every Intro to Biological Anthropology class will talk about. What kind of garbage diploma mill is SJSU to employ her?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Idk, a phrenoligist working at a state university seems like a good Reflection of pedagogy in america.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Victory Position posted:

hell yeah, drat America, the Tories should have crushed the Revolution

Unironically agree.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A British Empire with an entire continent's worth of resources to exploit and comparatively much closer.

Probably still would be better lmao

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1442641412017774600

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She’s pathetic. I thought she was just a nazi, but this—it’s like seeing someone eat their own poo poo. I can’t even hate her any more.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://twitter.com/eweissunburied/status/1439350813713862661?s=20

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

This woman has resting murderer face

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Aimee has re-invented Trump era antifa, except even dumber.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jesus loving Christ.

I guess the scan/print stuff I mentioned in my previous post isn't good enough for the White Savior Bone Shaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

A British Empire with an entire continent's worth of resources to exploit and comparatively much closer.

Probably still would be better lmao

The British, at least at the time, were opposed to westward expansion and genociding natives, so it's both unclear north America would have been unified and almost certainly a better outcome. Possibly an earlier end to slavery.