Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something clever that I only just now realized Dark Souls 3 did to avoid one of the series' biggest problems.

The way that PvP matchmaking typically works in a Souls game is that when you invade in an area, you're matched with anyone there that's at or above your level. For the most part that works fine, but it opened up a prime griefing strategy: if you deliberately keep your level low and instead spend souls on upgrading your equipment, you could invade people in the first area just starting the game and score very easy kills. It remains a big problem in Dark Souls 1 to this day, as well as Demon's Souls as far as I understand. Dark Souls 2 instead went for a 'soul memory' system where your matchmaking was based on the amount of souls you've ever collated, which solves this problem at the expense of causing several more.

Dark Souls 3, on the other hand, solved it with a much simpler strategy:

Have the story send you back to that first area, much later.

Eat poo poo, PvPers trying to prey on people just starting. You've got an equally good chance of instead invading someone about 70% of the way through the game, after they've really found their feet and can kick your level 1 rear end, no matter how sweet that armor is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It was pointed out to me that on the box art he's actually standing almost exactly the way I drew him with that wholly unnecessary deep squat and I'm kind of astounded

Umm excuse me but Master Chief just did some sick nasty poo poo and needed to pose.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TontoCorazon posted:

Umm excuse me but Master Chief just did some sick nasty poo poo and needed to pose.

The difference between the "give the covenant back their bomb" cutscene in Halo 2 vs H2A is absolutely hilarious, I was swapping back and forth and losing my mind. Halo 2 plays it completely straight, Chief shoots himself out the airlock with the bomb and rides it onto the ship and there's nothing in his way but it's still a long shot that required some luck and hasty math. In loving Anniversary they go insane with it and there's lasers and explosions and poo poo flying everywhere past him as he goes by and it is just so much more impossible that he perfectly sticks the landing lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiwZY9B6EjM

edit: The H2A version of the music that plays just before this cutscene is so baller though and it's a bummer they seem to only play it for just that one room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObODWHGH_0&t=880s
(timestamp 14:40)

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Feb 18, 2021

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I always thought with how loving fast he was going he should have ripped a hole right through the In Amber Clad, at the very least splat on the side like a bug hitting a windshield

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
*nods solemnly*

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Umm excuse me but Master Chief just did a sick nasty poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TontoCorazon posted:

I always thought with how loving fast he was going he should have ripped a hole right through the In Amber Clad, at the very least splat on the side like a bug hitting a windshield

Having just played it, I'm pretty sure Halo 3 opening with Chief in a smoldering crater lookin like dead Yamcha and frozen like a corpse is a reference to how this is really what should have happened when he did the bomb thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Halo series has totally rad spaceship names.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wonder how many people the UNSC has killed by naming every single ship in their fleet something silly that takes a while to say

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Look it was a good idea before the genocidal alien empire declared war on them because they were bored putting down what were essentially angry farmers and needed to come up with some way to spend their time, then once they were in a war for survival it was too much of a pain to get the Navy to change them because the navy declared it was a tradition damnit, and you don't change a tradition.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rockman Reserve posted:

The Halo series has totally rad spaceship names.

UNSC Say My Name

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For a series I've never played Halo actually has pretty cool lore. Contrast that to gears of war which every paragraph I read about the plot is some how the dumbest edgiest bullshit I've read that day.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Sally posted:

UNSC Say My Name

UNSC Ostentatious Mononym.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it ever actually been said what the naming scheme for the UNSC ships actually is in Halo? Always seemed like it was meant to be lines from speeches or poems or something.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samovar posted:

UNSC Ostentatious Mononym.

UNSC Staff of Unyielding Order

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"UNSC I.C. Weiner, come in, this is the In Amber Clad and we read your distress signal loud and clear- heyyyy wait a minute"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it ever actually been said what the naming scheme for the UNSC ships actually is in Halo? Always seemed like it was meant to be lines from speeches or poems or something.

indeed "Say My Name" is a line from the finest of prose...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
UNSC I Will Sodomize And Face-gently caress You

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UNSC What The gently caress Did You Just loving Say About Me, You Little Bitch?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
UNSC We

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They'll never explore it now that Bungie is gone but I appreciate that everytime somebody pays attention to the lore of the first 4 Halo games theres a dawning realization the UNSC and ONI are unequivocally bad guys

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean Halo 2 opens with a series of hard cuts between you being congratulated and awarded medals for exploding incredibly important unresearched technology plus killing 5,000 aliens, and said remaining aliens dealing with the fallout of your tour de halo by exacting revenge disguised as justice upon the military leaders responsible for the failure to stop The Master Chief, guy who is pretty well known for being The Master Chief, a thing which they probably knew was not a feasible thing to ask of an already crippled army (you crippled them btw but that's in a different game).

For accomplishing the bold task of destroying a monumental ancient hidden relic while learning essentially nothing about it and installing a computer virus on it in the process, you get to stand proud among your fellow earthlings while the aliens despair that they've lost yet another avenue for pursuing the (though brutal and violent) enlightenment they seek because some rear end in a top hat blew it up, AGAIN. Good news though, they're like twice as angry at you now so the kid gloves are off and they're just gonna blow up entire space stations because you're probably on them! Oo-rah!

edit: Hey guys, what about the eternally replicating gribblies who turn anything and everything into zombies forever? What'd we do with the information we found on that stuff, anyway? Eh I'm sure it's not important

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Feb 18, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barudak posted:

They'll never explore it now that Bungie is gone but I appreciate that everytime somebody pays attention to the lore of the first 4 Halo games theres a dawning realization the UNSC and ONI are unequivocally bad guys

Yeah. Self-destructive ostentatious bullshit meant to impress rather than being effective is kind of a hallmark of fascist regimes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barudak posted:

I like that, when Brian David Gilbert reviewed all the Halo books, he called the Covenant 'a moral deus ex machina' specifically because they turn up in the first book right as it's becoming clear that the UNSC are pretty shady and we should have some questions about how they conduct themselves, and then the narrative distracts the audience entirely with 'look, unambiguous bad guys'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I like that, when Brian David Gilbert reviewed all the Halo books, he called the Covenant 'a moral deus ex machina' specifically because they turn up in the first book right as it's becoming clear that the UNSC are pretty shady and we should have some questions about how they conduct themselves, and then the narrative distracts the audience entirely with 'look, unambiguous bad guys'.

Kinda. What was happening juuust as the Covenant turned up was the colonies were all loudly pushing for independence and about to kick off a civil war in earnest against the military dictatorship of the UNSC. The Spartan-II's were even originally conceived as a black-ops Seal Team affair of tactical operatives to go in and shut down the insurrection's flashpoints along with general wetware work. When the Covenant turned up, however, the whole "We want independence, gently caress off UNSC" attitude was replaced with "Please come save us from the mean aliens glassing our homes, UNSC" pretty much immediately out of practicality and the Spartans got retasked to fighting Covenant.

What generally obscures it from most of the audience is you need to dig down into the lore a bit to find out the Military are also the government and not just the big patriotic army saving the human race. Once you have that context, it all falls into place a bit.

Some of the books are pretty willing to admit that the UNSC is just the lesser of two evils and ONI are unequivocally a Gestapo analogue, suspiciously eyeing everyone outside the UNSC and within, as well as running their own black-box projects like the Spartan-III's.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Feb 18, 2021

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I've only read a few of the first books and the the subcontext in the Fall of Reach at least is maybe kidnapping kids and making child super soldiers is kinda hosed up, but yeah once the big baddies show up it's thrown right out of the air lock.

Also yeah I love the names of the UNSC ships, the Pillar of Autumn and Forward Into Dawn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So you see kids, the Covenant are a lot like the 2021 snowstorm in Texas...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

Also yeah I love the names of the UNSC ships, the Pillar of Autumn and Forward Into Dawn.

Up until I read Iain M Bank's Culture novels, those were probably my favorite ship names in fiction

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TontoCorazon posted:

I've only read a few of the first books and the the subcontext in the Fall of Reach at least is maybe kidnapping kids and making child super soldiers is kinda hosed up, but yeah once the big baddies show up it's thrown right out of the air lock.

To be somewhat fair, there's not a whole lot of room for them story-wise to do evil things without pushing into moustache-twirlingly overt villain territory once the Covenant War starts because their only two jobs for the moment are A: Evacuate citizens and B: Try to stop the Covenant. And they're only marginally successful at A and pretty bad at B.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/JesterPatches/status/1362450556078481411?s=20

Someone finally did something I've wanted to see for years and stood a titanite demon from Dark Souls upright to show how tall it'd be with both legs. The result is terrifying! It just serves as a reminder that these dudes are already crazy hard mini-bosses and they're not even the full creature. Can you imagine a boss fight sized enemy that is made out of the stuff you upgrade your weapons with??

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Missed opportunity to literally do just that and have a completely unbroken one as a boss fight. Make it multi phase and when you beat him he turns into one of the regular ones.

Edit: ooh, a boss fight chain where the first time you fight the unblemish pure demon, you get a minor upgrade components like "demon skin" that unlocks higher tiers of upgrades and as you progress through the game you have rematches with the creature and it breaks down more and more, giving you more components for upgrade tiers until you finish it off, crippled, maimed, mutilated, harmless, and extract the final upgrade component from it.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Feb 18, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just roll between the legs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kennel posted:

Just roll between the legs.

I feel like Dark Souls 3 is an extended joke about all the DS1 bosses you fight by getting between the legs and stabbing them in the balls - the Greatwood is a giant tree with massive testicles, Dancer shoves her butt in your face instead, Stray Demon has attacks specifically to gently caress you up if you stand under him

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I feel like Dark Souls 3 is an extended joke about all the DS1 bosses you fight by getting between the legs and stabbing them in the balls - the Greatwood is a giant tree with massive testicles, Dancer shoves her butt in your face instead, Stray Demon has attacks specifically to gently caress you up if you stand under him

They're just ripping off of Super Metroid, where one of the bosses (Golden Torizo) would attempt to sit on you if you used the morph ball to roll under it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ouch, right in the dark orbs

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Vic posted:

UNSC We

UNSC We You

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a kitten posted:

Up until I read Iain M Bank's Culture novels, those were probably my favorite ship names in fiction

That's exactly where Bungie got the idea. Cool names for stuff that reference obscure historical or cultural things has been one of their hallmarks from the very beginning and they're still doing it today.

There's a level midway through Marathon 2 named "If I Had A Rocket Launcher I'd Make Somebody Pay" and I think that's my favorite name of any level in anything ever

haveblue has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Feb 18, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the shameless self-indulgence that I really admire about naming everything something overly poignant and sentimental. I mean as in Bungie/343, not in-universe. It takes a certain element of wit to pull that off and have it be endearing instead of cringeworthy and I think they did a great job of toeing that line while only crossing it for laughs or when it actually is poignant and sentimental. One of my favorite chapter name gags comes in the first act of Halo 2, good ol Johnson The Undying presents a big rear end tank, a big rear end gun, and says smugly "I know what the ladies like." The chapter name then proceeds to add to the joke by letting you know he's referring to the clear and obvious fact that "Ladies Like Armor Plating". Because really who doesn't like armor plating.

But then you play it again on a harder difficulty and you see that they gave a whole hell of a poo poo about making that chapter name be a proper extension of the joke:

quote:

(Note: On Easy and Normal, the chapter will be called "Ladies like Armor Plating." On Heroic, it will be called "Ladies like Grinding Treads," and on Legendary, "Ladies like Superior Firepower").

To me, the REAL joke here is the demonstration of self-awareness: They bothered to spend ten extra lines of code and however many man-minutes to make it be slightly different but still funny. Caring enough to do that, itself, IS the joke even moreso than the actual one they wrote that's on your screen. That's part of why I think people admire the played-straight seriousness of Halo's world, is because that sentimentality is kind of intrinsic in the devs' writing and sense of humor. They're like, really good at it.

edit: Johnson is actually my favorite example I think. The game's own creators and the players loved the guy so much that they un-killed him after very explicitly killing him and didn't even bother to justify how or why in the main series, and then went on to make him an even more beloved and funny character.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Feb 18, 2021

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So the magaman roguelike 30XX got released into early access yesterday, complete with a update timer down to the seconds, and it has a ton of qol stuff that's great but i really love how they changed how levels are generated.

In the previous game it was just appropriate chunks attached randomly, but now there levels have a real structure to them like a proper megaman game. As a example, highvault has you climb a building face, climb further inside while avoiding lighting rain, drop down through a windy pit, and then a bit where you avoid lasers by jumping in infinite jump zones as you decend. These segments and others always appear, but how they and the intervening traversal are is randomly generated from appropriate chunks so the level can still suprise you while feeling like a actual place and setpeice.

Also there's unique music not only for each boss, but victory after each boss, in the short 15 seconds before you go to the next area.

Also also it has a mode where you can just play the levels like classic megaman if you dont like roguelikes but really want some good megaman x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kind of disappointed magaman was a typo.