Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Chinese mining farms had the advantage that you can pay for miners and electricity in RMB (which can't easily be used to buy stuff overseas due to China's strict currency controls), and then sell your bit corns for USD that you can do whatever you please with.
So Chinese miners may have been willing to run even at a loss, since the business worked as a form of legal money laundering.
Meanwhile Texas miners have to actually pay for electricity in USD, the same currency that you're selling the buttcoins for, so their business has to basically shut down if electricity prices temporarily rise too high relative to profits.

Lol at the "strict currency controls". What rich people in the PRC do is just pay a horde of mules to each use their $20K limit to send the money. It's kinda money laundering, but banks in Canada and the US facilitate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BlueBlazer posted:

So what they will do is optimize their plan to take advantage of the lowest possible consumer prices available at whatever their plan specifies. Thats the thing with the Texas power plan market, you can choose among 300+ different ponzi schemes of power savings, I would think you could write a super restrictive one for certain times a day and piggy back them off each other with a pretty straight forward service switch gear.

Remember, all Bitcoin miners are trying to do is just break even on power to mining op. Everything else is added cost. They deserve Texas.

And Texas deserves them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

And Texas deserves them.

Watch Chinese Venture Capitalist techbros buy out ERCOT.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
El Paso is the smartest city in Texas.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Platystemon posted:

El Paso is the smartest city in Texas.

Keep Austin blacked out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wrap it up, flying car sceptics:

https://www.engadget.com/aircar-first-inter-city-flight-092852060.html

https://youtu.be/a2tDOYkFCYo

The terrestrial configuration looks like a Cessna mated to The Homer :haw:.

quote:

As part of its latest breakthrough, the two-seater AirCar reached a cruising speed of 170km/h

That's only 30% faster than the average driver on the 401 :rimshot:.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 30, 2021

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I can't wait to start worrying about rich techbros falling out of the sky and crashing into me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"What do you mean *I* was supposed to make sure it was fueled? Aren't there like, people for that? What the hell does everyone do at the airport all day?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was thinking about this yesterday but aren't almost all of our modern problems a direct result of the industrial revolution and our pursuit of efficiency, speed and easing our burden of labor through technology? I recognize the incredible advances we've made in medicine, transportation and construction but it all comes at the cost of pollution, global warming, privacy concerns, automation eliminating jobs, disinformation and cyber crimes on the web, and things like infrastructure issues to support it all that no one wants to pay for.

I don't know too many people that feel like they have a ton of free time on their hands or that much of this is all that convenient or makes our lives easier. In fact, it seems quite the opposite where most of us are beholden to the machines and almost dependent on them. I'm not suggesting we all live in grass huts with no electricity so much as noticing that it seems like a never ending chase to finally be able to relax that never comes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The technology isn't the problem. It's the assumption that work-saving advances need to be compensated with more work.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Labor-saving device is really a misnomer; they should be called productivity-increasing, because Capital never uses them to reduce workers' weekly hours, or increase days off for leisure.

What's that saying in cycling?
"It doesn't get easier, you only get faster."

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

BiggerBoat posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday but aren't almost all of our modern problems a direct result of the industrial revolution and our pursuit of efficiency, speed and easing our burden of labor through technology? I recognize the incredible advances we've made in medicine, transportation and construction but it all comes at the cost of pollution, global warming, privacy concerns, automation eliminating jobs, disinformation and cyber crimes on the web, and things like infrastructure issues to support it all that no one wants to pay for.

I don't know too many people that feel like they have a ton of free time on their hands or that much of this is all that convenient or makes our lives easier. In fact, it seems quite the opposite where most of us are beholden to the machines and almost dependent on them. I'm not suggesting we all live in grass huts with no electricity so much as noticing that it seems like a never ending chase to finally be able to relax that never comes.

This is kind of a truism, to me. The industrial revolution was such a gigantic change to the way humans live that it was going to have a profound impact on everything. I agree with the thrust of your post, I just don't know what that gets me, I guess.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Seems to me this is just glorifying the pre-IR times.
The general well being of anyone in an OECD nation in almost any metric is far better now than it was before.

Prolly the few exceptions would be in environmental impact, which is a big fat negative. (OTOH the the pre-IR just lacked the ability to gently caress up the environment, it’s not like their societies were setup to avoid environmental damage)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tehdas posted:

Prolly the few exceptions would be in environmental impact, which is a big fat negative. (OTOH the the pre-IR just lacked the ability to gently caress up the environment, it’s not like their societies were setup to avoid environmental damage)

While they couldn't gently caress up the global environment, their local environments were their own kind of hell, especially in big cities.

(not pre-industrial, but the Thames was heavily polluted even before the industrial age)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 30, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Very few people in a modern city have worse air quality on average than someone living in a hut with a cooking / heating fire burning inside.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CommieGIR posted:

While they couldn't gently caress up the global environment, their local environments were their own kind of hell, especially in big cities.

(not pre-industrial, but the Thames was heavily polluted even before the industrial age)

Isn’t half the reason you build on a river is to use it as a sewer?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Isn’t half the reason you build on a river is to use it as a sewer?

"Invariably good sir. That's why all the poors are downstream." :wotwot:

The other half is of course, communication and transportation.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
increases in population during the early modern/industrial revolution greatly increased the volume of waste dumped in the river. in preindustrial london the population was lower, and a lot of waste-producing production (think leather tanning, pig slaughtering) was also displaced outside of the city. large, large pre-industrial cities are scarce for this reason, you need a high degree of local, natural 'waste management' capacity to deal with it all, as well as a lot of labor involved in literal poo poo-pit digging and poo poo haulage to deal with the human waste. most large pre-industrial cities have a robust underclass of people whose job it is to lug buckets of poo poo for dispersal/sale for nearby farmers, or just to dump it in a different river or hole

starting in the mid 18thc the population of europe especially starts to go up, and more of those people end up in cities. because the areas near cities are used for housing now and not food or agricultural/industrial production (which also generates waste) this is where cities start getting really nasty, and is the origin of tales like "medieval people threw poo poo buckets out their windows" and "medieval people couldn't drink water for lack of clean water" because the people of the 18th and 19thc didn't want to think they were living in filthier conditions than the savages of the past. but yeah, cities like london got so crowded that the thames river literally went stagnant and rotted, which lead directly to the birth of modern sewer engineering, because just crapping in pits or hoping the river would flush turds away wasn't cutting it anymore

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tehdas posted:

the the pre-IR just lacked the ability to gently caress up the environment

They hosed up the environment quite a lot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The technology isn't the problem. It's the assumption that work-saving advances need to be compensated with more work.

Well put. But then what's the point of the innovation? Ostensibly, it's always been designed and created with idea in mind that people can work less.

Even leaving work out of it, almost all of the other poo poo designed to ease the stress in our personal lives, the mundane chores we have to do or managing the things we have to do in our lives - poo poo like that. None of it seems to have delivered on that promise.

Tehdas posted:

Seems to me this is just glorifying the pre-IR times.

I was worried about that and didn't mean to come off that way. I was more thinking about how we poo poo in our own nest by filling our oceans with plastic, our air with carcinogens and that sort of poo poo. Supposedly so our free time when we're not working frees up our time. But I don't feel it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 30, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Well put. But then what's the point of the innovation? Ostensibly, it's always been designed and created with idea in mind that people can work less.

Even leaving work out of it, almost all of the other poo poo designed to ease the stress in our personal lives, the mundane chores we have to do or managing the things we have to do in our lives - poo poo like that. None of it seems to have delivered on that promise.

i dunno, i'm really not stressed that i dont have to carry water on my back for miles every day, live in fear of simple cuts getting infected, or worry that i've salted enough food for my family to survive for 4-6 months without nutritional deficiency

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fair enough. But stuff like that wasn't what I was really trying to make central to my argument. I'm not stressed out about any of those things either and tried to go out of my way to point that out with examples.

I dunno. Could be I'm just an old grouch but it seems to be going around.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Just read the history of capitalism. Attributing this to technology is missing the intentionality of this system. The slave economies in the new world fueled prompted the nascent imperial powers to start finding ways to use the productive surplus being generated, which involved forcing the peasentry off land and into the cities as workers. But contemparenous to that, other nations like the various German principalities that didn't have major overseas empires until much later were also racheting up the pressure on their peasant classes to keep up, increasing the taxes and fees they charged them and leading to peasant revolts and instability. People who romanticize the pre-IR times usually forget that the feudal nobility was in charge and could easily be the reason you starved in a bad year when they took all your grain anyway, or when you died in one of their stupid wars.

That's literally what Marx was writing about, how capitalism was not actually freeing people from the cycle of oppresion and the need to evolve past it. He at least saw hope in the fact that capitalist societies had interest in educating their workforces. And it's not a coincidence that things like free time, the death of employment stability and the 40 hour work week, all start to fade after the fall of the Communist block.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Wrap it up, flying car sceptics:

https://www.engadget.com/aircar-first-inter-city-flight-092852060.html

https://youtu.be/a2tDOYkFCYo

The terrestrial configuration looks like a Cessna mated to The Homer :haw:.

That's only 30% faster than the average driver on the 401 :rimshot:.

I will never understand who the target market for these is meant to be.

As a car and a plane this type of hybrid is always going to be inferior to a dedicated vehicle. Anyone who has the money to properly maintain and use one of these is going to have the money to buy a better car and a better small aircraft.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

These people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airpark

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

As a car and a plane this type of hybrid is always going to be inferior to a dedicated vehicle. Anyone who has the money to properly maintain and use one of these is going to have the money to buy a better car and a better small aircraft.

there's a shitload of credulous technology adopters out there who get wowed by new and shiny things without considering the implications

see: fans of musk, elon; anyone who wants to dial up their refrigerator on their smartphone to livestream the interior contents at the grocery store

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

If you already have/need a runway, and you have the money for an airplane, you can certainly get something that cruises faster than 170km/h with all the compromises of also having to be a car, and then also buy or rent a car. The plane will be much better at flying, and the car will be much better at driving.

It's a nifty idea in terms of "wow, we can do this," but it ends up being pretty impractical.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PT6A posted:

If you already have/need a runway, and you have the money for an airplane, you can certainly get something that cruises faster than 170km/h with all the compromises of also having to be a car, and then also buy or rent a car. The plane will be much better at flying, and the car will be much better at driving.

It's a nifty idea in terms of "wow, we can do this," but it ends up being pretty impractical.

LBJ had an aquatic car and would terrify White House guests by pretending to lose control and driving into the Potomac. If we can get one of these to Biden and he starts driving off cliffs with foreign dignitaries in the passenger seat, I see this as an absolute win.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shrecknet posted:

LBJ had an aquatic car and would terrify White House guests by pretending to lose control and driving into the Potomac. If we can get one of these to Biden and he starts driving off cliffs with foreign dignitaries in the passenger seat, I see this as an absolute win.

This is the narrow use case for when the flying car would be good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are there many cliffs or massive elevation changes in DC, Biden's home or other common prez places?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
no, DC is famously in a swamp. the next best thing would be to relocate the white house into the head of george washington at mount rushmore, so the the presidential flying car can egress directly through washington's gaping mouth

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PT6A posted:

If practicality mattered to people, we wouldn't have the level of inequality we do. Rational thinking doesn't apply here, only futurism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3j9muCo4o0

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 1, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

If practicality mattered to people, we wouldn't have the level of inequality we do

Right, but it's even impractical compared to normal small airplanes, which are themselves fairly impractical.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

no, DC is famously in a swamp. the next best thing would be to relocate the white house into the head of george washington at mount rushmore, so the the presidential flying car can egress directly through washington's gaping mouth

This is the future I wish we got.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

When I think “flying car” I’m not imagining a car with wings, I’m imagining the Blade Runner spinner or the Fifth Element taxi.

A car with wings is way too dorky and I’m not interested :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TACD posted:

When I think “flying car” I’m not imagining a car with wings, I’m imagining the Blade Runner spinner or the Fifth Element taxi.

A car with wings is way too dorky and I’m not interested :colbert:

Speak for yourself, a car with folding wings would be extremely my poo poo. Becoming a fold out rotorcraft is the only way it could be better.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Folding wings are passé; they need to be swing wings, and come out from underneath the car.

Basically I want a stretched Dodge Intrepid R/T with wings.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 2, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ornithopter

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just found out that cops are now playing copyrighted music when they do their crimes so that the videos get DCMA striked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just found out that cops are now playing copyrighted music when they do their crimes so that the videos get DCMA striked.

Too bad Squarespace isn't crazy enough to use independent hosting for people's dirty cop videos as an advertising point.