Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/BuddyJB3/status/1512620699223044100?s=20&t=q5dZloCMTKEFNWqeA1OcxQ

I swear I see this loving complaint constantly and I don't even think the people saying it even understand what the gently caress it means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/BuddyJB3/status/1512620699223044100?s=20&t=q5dZloCMTKEFNWqeA1OcxQ

I swear I see this loving complaint constantly and I don't even think the people saying it even understand what the gently caress it means

a good story is when want to fight your opponent because they tried to poison you or they created a new compound that made your balls and butt really hot and hurt

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

DLC Inc posted:

It's another weirdly common thing I see on the internet is people HATE wrestling matches that aren't part of a storyline. Like somehow watching Samoa Goddamn Joe vs Minoru loving Suzki is a complete waste of time because they haven't been coming out and getting each other DQ'd or Rolled Up every week for the past 9 months

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
People don't know what a story is. The story of the match is that there are two terrifying tough guys who could probably murder you without breaking a sweat are going to fight. It's a good story, as I want to see it and will tune in to do so. What this guy is complaining about is that there hasn't been four weeks of filler where they traded passive-aggressive insults at each other before the fight and then when it gets to the actual match they end it on a gently caress finish, so they can do it all again next month.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
It's the same impulse as people saying every episode of a show that doesn't directly advance the main plot is filler. There just isn't much respect for spending time on just character-building these days.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

It's not a storyline unless you spend half a year wrestling each other every single week in a never-ending series of 3 minute matches that end in gently caress finishes and a few random "can they coexist!?!?!?" tag matches thrown in for good measure

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Joe's feuding with Jay Lethal and they already made it clear Lethal and Dutt are gonna do something to him next week, probably during or after that match!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

DLC Inc posted:

Holy poo poo, we're getting Suzuki vs. Samoa Joe? I'm sure they will have a great match featuring a sequence of strikes, throws, holds, incidental things that forms an ebb and flow constructing a narrative that builds towards a climax. A story, you could say.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Holy poo poo, we're getting Suzuki vs. Samoa Joe? I'm sure they will have a great match featuring a sequence of strikes, throws, holds, incidental things that forms an ebb and flow constructing a narrative that builds towards a climax. A story, you could say.

Thats not a story, thats the boring stuff i fast forward through to get to the story faster

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i watch godzilla movies for the stories on the ground

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
This wrestling doesn’t have the three letters I like therefore it is trash

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DLC Inc posted:

they don't

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

also entirely ignoring that having a match can be the start of a story, not just the end of it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

They’re too dumb/Vincepilled to realize you can tell a story in the ring without atrocious 15 minute promos and constant video recaps

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

To be fair nobody watches wrestling for wrestling, they just want to pay a couple hundred dollars to sit in an arena and watch people who aren't trained actors stand in a boxing ring and do a bad soap opera for 3 hours where every now and then there's a 2 to 3 minute break where people do wrestling

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Drakkel posted:

To be fair nobody watches wrestling for wrestling, they just want to pay a couple hundred dollars to sit in an arena and watch people who aren't trained actors stand in a boxing ring and do a bad soap opera for 3 hours where every now and then there's a 2 to 3 minute break where people do wrestling

You joke, but this is literally what draws wwe's audience. Some people want this

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
shut em down, athletic commission!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol dorks

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cult of Pies posted:

"yes hello athletic commission? you won't believe this but a wrestler is bleeding."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Remember when the WrestleMania sign hanging over a section of fans at the Royal Rumble caught fire? Twice?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I remember worse things than a burning Wrestlemania sign WWE did or neglected to do that resulted in severe physical harm or death.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

IGgy IGsen posted:

I remember worse things than a burning Wrestlemania sign WWE did or neglected to do that resulted in severe physical harm or death.

wwe is about moments

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

"yes hello athletic commission? you won't believe this but a wrestler is bleeding."

Athletic Commissioner: "Oh yeah, we'll get right on that, just as soon as we get the official word that pro wrestling isn't predetermined any more. :rolleyes:"

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Cult of Pies posted:

the dude apologized for overreacting and said it is the wrestlers' choice to do it and a lot safer than he realized, and noted that the ref had gloves

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MotU posted:

the dude apologized for overreacting and said it is the wrestlers' choice to do it and a lot safer than he realized, and noted that the ref had gloves

AEW being able to bring back "working the marks" has been the best part of wrestling for the last few years

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW being able to bring back "working the marks" has been the best part of wrestling for the last few years

It's still real to them

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

It's only good if you bleed hardware by repeated elbows to the head by Brock Lesnar. That's totally safe.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Or if you are Brock Lesnar, you just headbutt the post a bunch.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Blading like that on TV does bring up an interesting point with Standards & Practices though. It's pretty much the only form of mainstream entertainment that shows real gore created through violence (albeit choreographed), but fake gore using special effects is often censored. I guess cable can do whatever it wants, especially in a later timeslot, but I wonder if the internal view on real blood differs for networks & content warnings from how they perceive something like a bloody horror movie where everything is fake.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

Blading like that on TV does bring up an interesting point with Standards & Practices though. It's pretty much the only form of mainstream entertainment that shows real gore created through violence (albeit choreographed), but fake gore using special effects is often censored. I guess cable can do whatever it wants, especially in a later timeslot, but I wonder if the internal view on real blood differs for networks & content warnings from how they perceive something like a bloody horror movie where everything is fake.

Context probably has a lot to do with it. A guy bleeding during a "sanctioned" athletic contest is an entirely different scenario compared to Michael Myers about to make someone bleed.

Like, I don't think they heavily censor the fights in the Rocky/Creed movies.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cable TV is also in a much different place than the 90's/00's in terms of content

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Here's a short film about Standards and Practices on Time Warner networks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G5EwTz-oS0

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Context probably has a lot to do with it. A guy bleeding during a "sanctioned" athletic contest is an entirely different scenario compared to Michael Myers about to make someone bleed.

Like, I don't think they heavily censor the fights in the Rocky/Creed movies.

It's one of the weird low-key ways that WWE's press release about that women's street fight match in AEW was so lovely because the way they worded it made it sound like AEW just filmed someone assaulting a bunch of women rather than it being a part of the show

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I think a few states like Maryland still actually have an athletic commission involved when it comes to pro wrestling. I remember AEW getting fined when there was some blood in a Baltimore show

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Pretty sure you can't bleed in New York still which made a lot of people confused when the recent GCW Hammerstein show was much tamer than they were expecting

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Duke Pukem posted:

I think a few states like Maryland still actually have an athletic commission involved when it comes to pro wrestling. I remember AEW getting fined when there was some blood in a Baltimore show

the Kenny/Mox lights out match was in Baltimore and former WCW announcer Chris Cruiser started a snitch campaign and went on a bunch of unhinged tirades in the months following

https://411mania.com/wrestling/former-wcw-announcer-chris-cruise-on-why-aew-wont-succeed-jim-herds-mistakes-in-wcw-wwes-business-being-down/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbixenspan/2019/11/30/yes-the-aew-full-gear-main-event-is-being-investigated-in-maryland/?sh=d8c1c2a6b15d
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/former-wcw-announcer-gloats-as-aew-fined-10000-for-bloody-match/

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

For years in Washington it was financially prohibitive to do a Pro Wrestling show not named WWE because it was defined as, naturally, sports entertainment, which full under the department of licensing's purview. They would require stuff like a license for every wrestler, paramedics, an ambulance on stand by, and a percentage of the show + a per ticket fee. Thankfully in 2017 our governor signed the "lucha bill" to remove this classification.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tweak posted:

For years in Washington it was financially prohibitive to do a Pro Wrestling show not named WWE because it was defined as, naturally, sports entertainment, which full under the department of licensing's purview. They would require stuff like a license for every wrestler, paramedics, an ambulance on stand by, and a percentage of the show + a per ticket fee. Thankfully in 2017 our governor signed the "lucha bill" to remove this classification.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Diversity makes us stronger in so many ways