Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Why would I install Linux? Scrivener stopped updating their Linux version, and while I love fade in, installing Linux just for it seems like a hassle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Linux is also a great solution when you don’t need outlier elements, like network or sound.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh the wonders that could be achieved using the form factor of the 2012 MBP. Or even better the 2008.

Imagine if they had just kept the form factor of the 2015 Pro and replaced MagSafe, HDMI and TB2 with TB3 while keeping the two USB-A ports and sure, the card reader, I guess.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shaocaholica posted:

Linux is great

EL BROMANCE posted:

Linux is also a great

Linux just worked when I installed it on an early 2008 MacBook and it's just worked on everything I've installed it on since. Stop trying to do arch builds you loving nerds.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My work laptop is a 2017 MBP and my personal one is a 2015. I work from home and I want to use the same 4K monitor, etc with a minimum of screwing around. Right now my desk is a horrible mess of cables and adapters.

Wirecutter's page with Thunderbolt 3 dock reviews says that the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter works both ways, and allegedly you can use one to connect a Thunderbolt 2 MBP to a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Anyone do this and have success?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I dunno about docks but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen people using the adapter to connect TB3 eGPU enclosures to TB2 Macs so I think what you’re proposing would work too.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

kitten smoothie posted:

My work laptop is a 2017 MBP and my personal one is a 2015. I work from home and I want to use the same 4K monitor, etc with a minimum of screwing around. Right now my desk is a horrible mess of cables and adapters.

Wirecutter's page with Thunderbolt 3 dock reviews says that the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter works both ways, and allegedly you can use one to connect a Thunderbolt 2 MBP to a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Anyone do this and have success?
Yeah, we've tested this at work and it's fine both ways. Either TB2 MacBook to TB3 dock or TB3 MacBook to TB2 dock. You need a TB2 cable as well as the adapter in both cases and you don't get power charging using TB2 so you need a separate power adapter as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

redeyes posted:

I use WIndows for most things but video editing.. ARRRG!

The new place I work for is exclusively windows and holy gently caress I absolutely hate using Premiere in Windows. The way it scrolls through the timeline is just disgusting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The new place I work for is exclusively windows and holy gently caress I absolutely hate using Premiere in Windows. The way it scrolls through the timeline is just disgusting.

?? How so?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's just nowhere near as smooth as on Mac

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's just nowhere near as smooth as on Mac

Like.. the scrolling animation? We use it on Mac and PC at work and it seems the same to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Like.. the scrolling animation? We use it on Mac and PC at work and it seems the same to me.

Maybe they just gave us poo poo PCs :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or maybe it's becase I have yet to see a PC where scroll gestures are in even the same universe of smoothness as on a Mac when using, say, two fingers on a trackpad.

It's like Windows is stuck perpetually in "mouse with little detentes all around the wheel like it's 1997" mode

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here’s a review of the top end model. Mostly some benchmarks against the iMac Pro, and includes some eGPU results

http://hrtapps.com/blogs/20180712/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, we've tested this at work and it's fine both ways. Either TB2 MacBook to TB3 dock or TB3 MacBook to TB2 dock. You need a TB2 cable as well as the adapter in both cases and you don't get power charging using TB2 so you need a separate power adapter as well.

Cool. And video works as well? I've seen reviews for the adapter that say "it doesn't pass DisplayPort unless it's channeled over Thunderbolt."

I don't know if that means that the dock is smart enough to ask the laptop for video over Thunderbolt and then it peels the video out to emit as DisplayPort on the back.

I do understand the caveat that if it works, the 4K video will take up like 75% of the available TB2 write bandwidth.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

crazysim posted:

The accelerometer is back? Is it accessible from macOS? I can't wait to go and make lightsaber noises again.

Actually, it's been a part of rMBPs since the beginning, far as I can tell. There's probably tools to access it. Only thing I can't figure out is WHY it's still part of the system.

As far as I remember, the accelerometer was there chiefly to signal platter-based hard drives 'Hey a big shock is coming/happening, park your heads somewhere safe!' to prevent data loss.

Totally unnecessary with SSDs, which have been in rMBPs since 2012.

I'm sure someone will post a reason my 2-dimensional mind can't come up with, as I'm very sure Apple isn't keeping the accelerometer (also probably a single chip somewhere on the logic board) for the gigantic 'make lightsaber sounds with your laptop' app market.

Also sure it's not for your laptop to detect that its in battle and suddenly sprout Anti-Borg armor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe they can use the accelerometer to stabilize the screen when your chauffeur takes a speed bump too fast.

There was a cool bit of software several years ago to turn a MacBook into a seismograph, geologist that was working on it had this dream of recording earthquakes from thousands of laptops. Obviously never got traction.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Geekbench results are smokin' fast for the 2018's

Who woulda thunk it

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/geekbench-shows-2018-macbook-pro-has-biggest-yearly-performance-gain-since-2011.2127645/

Geekbench 4 scores indicate the latest 15-inch models have a 12 to 15 percent increase in single-core performance, while multi-core performance is up 39 to 46 percent, compared to the equivalent 2017 models.

A new 15-inch MacBook Pro with the best-available 2.9GHz six-core Intel Core i9 processor, with Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz, has a multi-core score of 22,439, for example, a 44.3 percent increase versus a 2017 model with a then-best 3.1GHz quad-core Core i7 and Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz.

Likewise, for the latest 13-inch models, Geekbench scores show a 3 to 11 percent increase in single-core performance, and an impressive 81 to 86 percent increase in multi-core performance versus equivalent 2017 models.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Me and my wife make a decent amount of money off of our hyper inflated CA wages but those $3k MBPs are still 'feel' expensive for us. How the hell are poors buying them? Apple surely is selling enough of them that it can't just all be rich people buying them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to work at an Apple store near a college and an alarmingly large percentage of students signed up for loans to buy the $2k laptop. The APRs ranged from like 28% and over.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apple should get into the financing business :getin:

'Ecosystem'

I mean seriously they're going to anyway for their cars. Just imagine a world where your whole life can belong to Apple :allears: Just pay a fixed rate every month and they'll give you a phone, laptop and car! Just sign on the dotted line on this iPad.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 15, 2018

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

kitten smoothie posted:

Cool. And video works as well? I've seen reviews for the adapter that say "it doesn't pass DisplayPort unless it's channeled over Thunderbolt."

I don't know if that means that the dock is smart enough to ask the laptop for video over Thunderbolt and then it peels the video out to emit as DisplayPort on the back.

I do understand the caveat that if it works, the 4K video will take up like 75% of the available TB2 write bandwidth.
I’ve never seen any problems with it and we use Thunderbolt docks extensively (with quite a few TB2->3 adapters so that people didn’t need to buy new peripherals), albeit mostly with 27” monitors rather than 4K. Just keep in mind that Thunderbolt 2 can only do one display output per device in the chain so you can’t run 2 monitors off one dock unless everything is TB3.

I’m also not really sure I understand the comment there as both devices using the adapter need to be plugged in via Thunderbolt to make use of it. Maybe whoever posted that comment assumed that a Thunderbolt adapter was also a male USB-C to female mini-DisplayPort cable and was surprised when it didn’t work like that?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Me and my wife make a decent amount of money off of our hyper inflated CA wages but those $3k MBPs are still 'feel' expensive for us. How the hell are poors buying them? Apple surely is selling enough of them that it can't just all be rich people buying them.

The 13” starts at $1300 and the Air is $1000. :confused:

“Poors” aren’t buying the $3k laptop or any Apple laptop actually.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to work at an Apple store near a college and an alarmingly large percentage of students signed up for loans to buy the $2k laptop. The APRs ranged from like 28% and over.

I signed my life away to MacMall's financing division when I was like 20 for a G4 PowerBook. Paid on that fucker for like 6 years

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All you have to do is peep the number of bottom spec MacBooks that show up on eBay to understand how people are affording these things.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol @ the rich guy not understanding there’s macbooks cheaper than $3k

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

kitten smoothie posted:

I saw a Satechi USB-C hub that hangs off the side of the new MBPs, looks pretty awesome. Thinking about grabbing one.

On an unrelated note, I notice the iMac and iMac Pro come in different colors - can you choose the shade with either of them like you can the MacBooks/MBPs?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 16, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Small White Dragon posted:

I saw a Satechi USB-C hub that hangs off the side of the new MBPs, looks pretty awesome. Thinking about grabbing one.

On an unrelated note, I notice the iMac and iMac Pro come in different colors - can you choose the shade with either of them like you can the MacBooks/MBPs?

That hub does look pretty rad. Hopefully it's as reliable as it looks.

iMac Pros only come in Space Grey, while regular iMacs are silver.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Likewise, for the latest 13-inch models, Geekbench scores show a 3 to 11 percent increase in single-core performance, and an impressive 81 to 86 percent increase in multi-core performance versus equivalent 2017 models.

I mean in terms of absolute performance, that's great for 13" users. But not unexpected since the comparison is 2 cores vs 4 cores.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Has anyone taken their MBPs in for loose TB3 ports? All four of mine are very loose, always have been and it’s starting to really piss me off.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Binary Badger posted:

Actually, it's been a part of rMBPs since the beginning, far as I can tell. There's probably tools to access it. Only thing I can't figure out is WHY it's still part of the system.

As far as I remember, the accelerometer was there chiefly to signal platter-based hard drives 'Hey a big shock is coming/happening, park your heads somewhere safe!' to prevent data loss.

Totally unnecessary with SSDs, which have been in rMBPs since 2012.

I'm sure someone will post a reason my 2-dimensional mind can't come up with, as I'm very sure Apple isn't keeping the accelerometer (also probably a single chip somewhere on the logic board) for the gigantic 'make lightsaber sounds with your laptop' app market.

Also sure it's not for your laptop to detect that its in battle and suddenly sprout Anti-Borg armor.

Maybe it has an accelerometer. But it isn't exposed as part of that Sudden Motion Sensor thing. At least, this Late 2013 rMBP doesn't. I wonder if iMacs have them. Maybe this reappears on T1 or T2 based Macs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Depends on your definition of poors but they totally are, just not with cash.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mercurius posted:

I’ve never seen any problems with it and we use Thunderbolt docks extensively (with quite a few TB2->3 adapters so that people didn’t need to buy new peripherals), albeit mostly with 27” monitors rather than 4K. Just keep in mind that Thunderbolt 2 can only do one display output per device in the chain so you can’t run 2 monitors off one dock unless everything is TB3.

I’m also not really sure I understand the comment there as both devices using the adapter need to be plugged in via Thunderbolt to make use of it. Maybe whoever posted that comment assumed that a Thunderbolt adapter was also a male USB-C to female mini-DisplayPort cable and was surprised when it didn’t work like that?

Sounds great. I wanted a dock but the idea was a total non-starter if I spent $300 on it and could only use it with one of the laptops.

And yeah I have no clue wtf that reviewer was saying. Your guess sounds better than any I could come up with.

Bob Morales posted:

I signed my life away to MacMall's financing division when I was like 20 for a G4 PowerBook. Paid on that fucker for like 6 years

One of the local third party Apple resellers around here seems to push people onto a lease program that by all metrics looks pretty bad. I guess it was better than financing it at 29% interest for multiple years, but that's a low bar. It definitely was structured to keep you trading it back in at end of lease and doing another. You had to put up a several hundred dollar security deposit up front, and if you re-upped a new lease they'd roll the deposit into the next one so you didn't have to put money down up front.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 16, 2018

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Sorry if it has been asked but when you buy a MacBook with Education Pricing can you buy AppleCare for the reduced price after the fact or am I screwed? $303 is much better than $379

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FCKGW posted:

lol @ the rich guy not understanding there’s macbooks cheaper than $3k

Yeah but ones worth buying. Even the poors know that.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

kefkafloyd posted:

That hub does look pretty rad. Hopefully it's as reliable as it looks.
With something like that (hub that attaches to the laptop), I wonder if it's better to always take it off before putting the machine away, or if there are cases/bags that would accommodate it. Hmm.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

With something like that (hub that attaches to the laptop), I wonder if it's better to always take it off before putting the machine away, or if there are cases/bags that would accommodate it. Hmm.

I'd take it off. It looks like its just snapped into the USB C port so you'd be risking damage to the ports if something happened.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

lowest price 2018 MBP is $1800 for the 13"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

lowest price 2018 MBP is $1800 for the 13"

Which is crazy. I remember the $1199 13" MBP, and the $899 Air

I guess they still have the (128GB) nTB for $1299 and the Air for $999...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Bob Morales posted:

Which is crazy. I remember the $1199 13" MBP, and the $899 Air

I guess they still have the (128GB) nTB for $1299 and the Air for $999...

Yeah I bought back when the 13" MacBook pro was 1200 bucks and it was a great purchase (I admittedly bought it with upgraded RAM).

I can't even begin to justify spending 1800 dollars on a laptop with a core i5 when I can get much more power a lot cheaper. While I like OSX, I don't NEED it unless I am building an iOS app.