Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

has anyone tried trading in a launch PS4 at gamestop? if so how much did you get for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I want to see a graph of sales over time for Destiny 2 to see how the community souring on it effected things.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Digirat posted:

has anyone tried trading in a launch PS4 at gamestop? if so how much did you get for it?

Just two weeks ago I traded in my 500GB snow white OG PS4 (from the Destiny 1 bundle) for a base 120 dollars.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

Neither blog entry makes it clear but that's the EU list, the US list is slightly different (and half the length for some reason):

COD: WW2
Destiny 2
Friday the 13th
Horizon
GTAV
NBA 2K18
Rocket League
Minecraft
Madden 18
Ghost Recon Wildlands

2 FIFAs and no Madden should have made that obvious :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I want to see a graph of sales over time for Destiny 2 to see how the community souring on it effected things.

Can't tell you the sales but it's 30 bucks retail 3.5 months after release.

I got hoodwinked into buying it after a couple of my RL friends + the game review industry sold me on it. I should have remembered those RL friends had MMO tendencies (i.e. they're addicts) and 98% of game reviewers are utter loving morons. My Big Gaming Regret of 2017 right there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

TheCenturion posted:

Is it GTAV selling, or is it the cash packs for GTAOnline that keep selling?

The actual game. It has since surpassed Wii Play and is the best selling video game of all time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno man, Codemasters AND Evolution? That's some racing pedigree, if you ask me.

Wasn't so much a comment on how good/bad I think that game will be, just my own familiarity and love of Rocket League (plus how easily distracted I am I guess...)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Digirat posted:

Depends on how many cockroaches its encrusted with

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I didn't know rocket league did that well. I should get back into that some day. Game is super good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Attitude Indicator posted:

I didn't know rocket league did that well. I should get back into that some day. Game is super good.

Game went from nothing to overnight success when they put in on ps+ for free. Instant player-base.

Then they took it multiplatform and started selling people 'road-hats.'

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Depends on how many cockroaches its encrusted with

poo poo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Digirat posted:

I sold my launch ps4 for 200 with like 3 games I'll never touch again. In small town sold in 2 days.

Buuuuuut. It was before Xmas so ymmv. Try posting if for a week at a good price before you trade for less. If it doesn't sell oh well.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

All I kept thinking through this video was that Rocket League could/should have a stand-alone racing game.

IIRC that's how it started back when SARPBC (RL's predecessor) was in development, but then they added a ball one day and had like 10x more fun.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

E: ^^^^^^^^ yeah, RL had some different ideas in the beginning. Mainly it was a stunt racer, sort of like SSX with cars, but they changed it later on.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Game went from nothing to overnight success when they put in on ps+ for free. Instant player-base.

Then they took it multiplatform and started selling people 'road-hats.'

yup, i know the game has a loot box system now. I have no idea what a road-hat is though. At least RL has very benign micro transaction; it's all pure cosmetic and gives you no advantages during gameplay and all the modes and fields are available to everyone, so it's easy to ignore.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 5, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If I'm not mistaken Horizon is the only console exclusive in the top 10 best sellers this year, the only SP game, too. Prestige titles are basically the only thing keeping every major release from being an MP-focused shootman or sportsball game with lootboxes.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Destiny 2 was my worst game purchase of 2017, hopefully when destiny 3 rolls around in 2 years or whatever I'll have learned my lesson and not get caught up in the hype again

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I really loved Destiny 1 and I gotta say I enjoyed D2 for the first week or so but it absolutely did not hold my interest.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

haveblue posted:

Neither blog entry makes it clear but that's the EU list, the US list is slightly different (and half the length for some reason):

COD: WW2
Destiny 2
Friday the 13th
Horizon
GTAV
NBA 2K18
Rocket League
Minecraft
Madden 18
Ghost Recon Wildlands

great to see my two biggest gaming regrets of 2017, Destiny 2 and NBA2K18, on this list

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was glad destiny 2 came with my video card so I could see what was wrong with it without paying for it because man I wouldn't have been happy if I paid 60 for that

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Evil Within 2 was such a great little game. Second villain was far less interesting than flamboyant, second rate murder artist (who was implied to become a serial killer because critics poo poo all over his work for being exploitative and cheap), but over design was much tighter even if the story suffered. That final sequence was cool - great music, scene transitions and everything.

Feels like they put some actual effort into the start and end, letting the middle pad out a bit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still suffer a visceral reaction to hearing Clair de Lune.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bad Parenting posted:

Destiny 2 was my worst game purchase of 2017, hopefully when destiny 3 rolls around in 2 years or whatever I'll have learned my lesson and not get caught up in the hype again

At this point I think it's fairly safe to say that Destiny is a stained franchise. Destiny 1 was hardly perfect but by the end of Rise of Iron there was a great foundation for what should have been the sequel that shut up all the haters. Instead all we got was a reboot of Vanilla Destiny with less endgame content combined with a lootbox fiasco that has only slid under the radar because of the SW Battlefront 2 controversy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Destiny 1: shame on you
Destiny 2... shame on me

Never again!!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Bad Parenting posted:

Narrator: He won't.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Don't beat yourself up, friend. If people had learned their lesson that MMOs were lovely the genre wouldn't have made it as far as WoW.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was really dumb and expected Bungie to expand on Rise of Iron's good stuff instead of removing quality of life poo poo and starting from scratch with a few improvements to vanilla D1.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mr E posted:

I was really dumb and expected Bungie to expand on Rise of Iron's good stuff instead of removing quality of life poo poo and starting from scratch with a few improvements to vanilla D1.

Well I mean, that's what EVERYONE was expecting, and after sticking with D1 for three years it's certainly what we deserved.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

D2's player count has dropped by 75% from launch. :eyepop:

Destiny 2 was my first experience with Destiny, and the PvE content was nice, but didn't have the sizzle for replayability. The PvP feels like a last-gen shooter in its tech, and the design is mind-bogglingly bad.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I mean I played destiny 1, didn't get any of the expansions, but read that they improved the game massively from launch so just kind of expected those improvements to carry over. How wrong was I.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did they ever fix For Honor before it died? That game was so fun at launch but the servers were absolute poo poo and they kept pulling maps when they only had like 5 to start with. Ubisoft really gave their player base the finger by not fixing anything and having the gall to attach loot boxes to it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rolo posted:

Did they ever fix For Honor before it died? That game was so fun at launch but the servers were absolute poo poo and they kept pulling maps when they only had like 5 to start with. Ubisoft really gave their player base the finger by not fixing anything and having the gall to attach loot boxes to it.

They just tested dedicated servers, they also are sloooowly going through and reworking characters because their "defense is king" system broke down at high-mid-level+ play. They've also been running special events.

It's still rando loot and half the non-DLC characters have trouble but they haven't quit yet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Attitude Indicator posted:

yup, i know the game has a loot box system now. I have no idea what a road-hat is though. At least RL has very benign micro transaction; it's all pure cosmetic and gives you no advantages during gameplay and all the modes and fields are available to everyone, so it's easy to ignore.

Road-Hat is my dashed-off pun for "hat you put on car." :)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

I got $150, two weeks ago.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Was Killing Floor 2 a Plus game or something? I forgot I had it. Installed it a while back, played for about 10 minutes and deleted it. It didn’t click at all and felt clunky. Last night I reinstalled while wanting some new shooter to play and gently caress man it’s so fun! I don’t like L4D style games all that often but it’s really enjoyable. Not crazy about the few games that went on for like 15 minutes while spectating someone kiting a boss but eh I can avoid that by sticking to normal difficulty I’m sure.

poptart_fairy posted:

Evil Within 2 was such a great little game. Second villain was far less interesting than flamboyant, second rate murder artist (who was implied to become a serial killer because critics poo poo all over his work for being exploitative and cheap), but over design was much tighter even if the story suffered. That final sequence was cool - great music, scene transitions and everything.

Feels like they put some actual effort into the start and end, letting the middle pad out a bit.

If I found the first game to have cool monsters and atmosphere but hated absolutely everything about playing it should I check out 2?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

If I found the first game to have cool monsters and atmosphere but hated absolutely everything about playing it should I check out 2?

Oh absolutely get 2 but just set your expectations for the story missions to hold all the weird 'loving with the environment' poo poo and not see that from side missions. Because otherwise you will be annoyed.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

This, but replace podcasts with Twitch streams. And you get interaction with other like-minded individuals in chat, the community extends past Twitch with Discord and Twitter, etc... Twitch is a Friend Simulator for our increasingly lonely and isolated lives.

See I am old. Back when I grew up in the 80s and 90s we used to talk to each other and as a consequence I have real friends today. Kids these days...tststs :wheelchairgrandpa:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Godzilla07 posted:

D2's player count has dropped by 75% from launch. :eyepop:

Destiny 2 was my first experience with Destiny, and the PvE content was nice, but didn't have the sizzle for replayability. The PvP feels like a last-gen shooter in its tech, and the design is mind-bogglingly bad.

I really enjoyed the campaign and doing the random content and events, because holy poo poo bungie makes shooters that feel fantastic, but it didn’t have enough content to carry what they wanted it to do. And PVP really suffered when they cut it down to 3 v 3 or 4 v 4 or whatever the gently caress, and making it so you only got one super a round was loving dumb.

I take back anything bad I said about Steep btw. It’s a great podcast game/drinking game/chillout game, andit has that watchable thing going for it that makes it fun to pass the controller around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bungie are lazy fucks, I couldn't BELIEVE when I started D2 and you're fighting THE EXACT SAME ENEMIES from the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Imhotep posted:

Yes, my friend's girlfriend doesn't really play games but she loved The Last Guardian, but called Trico 'annoying sometimes' and said the boy's controls were also annoying, which I of course argued against and she agreed with me, but basically said it was just annoying when Trico would backtrack (which literally happens maybe like once every two or three playthroughs for me, it's not an issue I don't think, unless spending another thirty seconds to a minute getting Trico to go back to where you were is a major annoyance then I don't think this game is for you), but then said that overall it's a beautiful game, wonderful story, vibes and soundtrack etc.

And no it's not a "survival" game, in the sense of the survival gaming genre. Your survival is never dependent on Trico being unreliable at least, I guess you can die because of a mistake Trico makes, but every time it's happened to me (for instance, Trico will shake his head or do something cute and accidentally knock you into a chasm), you just restart basically exactly where you left off. Everything that people say makes this game "bad" frustrates me because usually they're just not patient and don't get the point of the game, and even when you do die to something that's a bit silly, like Trico picking you up to throw you on his back, but you end up falling off a ledge, etc. you just restart at basically the exact same spot you were at.

This game, despite any of the flaws people bring up, should be played because it's one of the most unique and moving experiences that I've had in a video game at least, and most people who take the time to try it out with an open mind tend to agree.

Sorry for digging up a multi-page-old post, but I just finished The Last Guardian and I really feel the need to share. I've been holding back for weeks because I kept being told that the last hour was amazing and didn't want to say anything I'd regret after finishing the game, but the ending didn't really change my opinion on the whole thing, so here I go:

TLG is a really good game, but it's a pretty bad game. It does a lot of things right; it's gorgeous (mostly in the art design, because it really shows that it was, at one point, supposed to be a PS3 game), the soundtrack is amazing and it does a lot of things right, including a lot of things that haven't been attempted before, and it deserves more praise than it's getting for that. Just like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, the way that the gameplay complements the themes of the game and enhances the overall experience is unrivaled.

A lot of the complaints are, like Imhotep said, overblown. The framerate does drop pretty significantly sometimes, but it's far from a twitchy game and most of your movements have a lot of momentum, so the effects on the actual gameplay aren't too bad. Playing it on a Pro was a noticeable improvement. Trico does behave a bit erratically, but it's 100% on purpose in order to make it seem more natural, and I would argue that Trico's behavior and animation are some of the game's greatest strengths. The narrator is a little overbearing, but I think it's a nice way to give hints that would just need a little tweaking. The camera can be a little frustrating sometimes, but the platforming and action sequences are pretty easy, and you'll learn to appreciate the more cinematic angles.

There's no excusing the constant button prompts that you keep getting until literally the last puzzle of the game, however. I'm pretty sure you can turn them off, but I kept thinking that the reason they kept popping up was that there would be some new mechanic at some point, but there never was, and I put up with them for the whole game for nothing.

But the reason why I ended up not really liking the experience, and why I say that TLG is a bad game, is that the crux of the gameplay is about solving puzzles, and the game sucks at allowing you to solve puzzles and communicating how you're doing at them. I'm almost certain that every single time I stopped playing was because of frustration, because I'd be stuck on a puzzle with literally no way of knowing if I had the wrong solution or if I had to keep trying the same thing until Trico decided to turn on another brain cell.

And the worst thing is that almost every time I did have the right solution, but Trico's utter refusal to do what I wanted it to do managed to convince me, every time, that I must have had the wrong idea. I once spent literal days on a puzzle that I had solved because I couldn't get Trico to do what I wanted it to do, so I'd try something different (that wasn't the solution), then back to the actual solution (but it wouldn't work), and back and forth for an hour and then quit, only to reapeat the process over a few days until, finally, the Wizard gave Trico a brain.

I don't remember the details of most of the puzzles I had trouble with, because I took a giant break around the 75% mark, but just off the top of my head:

One puzzle has you "trick" Trico into pulling a chain with a bucket on the end so that it raises a gate, then run under it, but Trico would always stop pulling the chain too early (or I'd be too slow) to allow me to pass under the gate. I started to look around for ways to get the chain or the gate stuck, but it turned out that I just had to do the same thing a few more times until Trico kept pulling long enough for me to pass.

One puzzle has you open an underwater gate, then ride Trico through the underwater tunnel, but I could never get Trico to pick me up and dive. Either he would refuse to dive for minutes on end, or he'd dive but without me (and only come back after several seconds), leading me to believe that I had to do something else, but no, I just had to try a few more times until Trico dove with with me still hanging on.

One puzzle has you stuck under a floor full of holes, trying to climb back up. What you're supposed to do is have Trico sit near one specific hole so its tail dangles down to you, but even if I knew what I had to do, I could never get Trico to sit in the right spot until I started calling to him randomly while swimming around until it worked.

One puzzle has you stuck in a cage and Trico gone, and the solution is to call it a few times until it comes and help you bring the cage somewhere else. The very first thing I tried was calling Trico, but nothing happened. I don't know if it's because I was in the wrong place, if you have to call him a few times before anything happens or if it can only come after you "pass out" (at one point, the screen fades to black and the narrator says "and then a long time passed and I woke up in exactly the same place"), but I kept rolling around, trying to get myself to new places until I tried calling Trico again, and then it worked.

One of the last puzzles of the game has you stuck in a giant room with multiple spokes/tendrils/branches holding up a sphere. I thought it was pretty obvious that I had to have Trico climb those spokes and reach the sphere, but for the first fifteen minutes, even though I kept pointing Trico toward the lowest spoke, it would only ever try to climb another one, that was too high to reach

Still, I would recommend playing it once. It's an incredible experience, and every single time I quit, just a few hours later I'd get the urge to go back to it. The only thing it would really need would be a way to better communicate that you've found the right solution to a puzzle, even if it doesn't work on your first attempt.