Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What is this sicko poo poo morrowind is supposed to be mysterious and janky

In Morrowind, the correct way to play is to become a new god and jump across the land like the hulk. As you can see when you bump up that cell render Morrowind is really brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Morrowind was from the Brown Era of video games, and the best part of the game is the progression to mega power, not the power itself.

Ashfall, not using distant lands, all that is to lengthen out the inevitability of becoming an unbreakable master of the universe.

Does anyone beat vanilla morrowind in more than a few weeks in game time? You step off the boat and immediately become a juggernaut unless you purposefully slow things down. I ripped out vanilla leveling and made attribute bonuses increase slower. I also threw in a mod that puts climbing in as a skill and lets you vault up and climb trees and stuff.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons was the best open world RPG until FO: NV dethroned it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Basically these mods force you to be in the world in order to play the game, I think they work well.

This is a good way to look at it: you're forced to be in the world. Mucked around with survival/needs mods in all of the Beth games I played but Ashfall looks like one of the better one. Skyrim had a very well made one too, whose name I forget. But it did lead to a tense climb over one of the mountain passes where the cold was a very real presence.

Have you looked at Outward yet? It's at the same pace as your description of Ashfall plus the Guar companion mod. I've only mucked around in the early game but plan to give it a full run.

Likewise for TR - will def come back to MW to play it, but the current modding renaissance is making me wait until more mods come out that use the Lua modding and the new animation stuff.

Bust Rodd posted:

Baldur's Gate is one of the best video games ever made, though, and Skyrim is one of the video games ever made

I liked both BG2 and Morrowind, they both go deep into their respective experiences and are pretty committed to those experiences.

Morrowind might as well be from another dev team than the later games, if that's preventing anyone from going back to it. Ken Ralston, who led the MW dev team, has a very different take on what an RPG is than those who followed. Todd was just another team member at the time. Here's a good interview with that team: https://www.imperial-library.info/content/interviews-MW-team

sean10mm posted:

Just one example, enemy net runners being able to use lots of different quick hacks on you is low key super good, like I was punching a bunch of dudes and got hit with Cripple Movement and it was a nice OH poo poo WHAT NOW, then I switched to shotgun, crept to cover at 1 mph while huffing drugs, got poisoning from Contagion and had my shotgun disabled so I had to switch to pistol.

Then I got set on fire for old times sake.

This sounds great! I've been on the same cusp of should I replay now or wait from more mods and stuff like this make it sound like doing both is the right answer.

Tenzarin posted:

I agree with some of what you say, but morrowind is no longer the high point of the series. The story is medicore and the gameplay is just awful if you don't know how to become a jumping god to leap across the land to make it bearable. Most quests are just ancient basic fetch quests so there's not too much to see. I would say the morrowind expansions are more worth it to play, well maybe just tribunal because you don't need to leap across the land since it's set in a small city. Blood moon is on another island so that requires leaping prowess.

The fetch quests don't bother me because it's the surrounding context that makes it meaningful. As Sniper said, there aren't that many basic patterns to quests anyway so it's how it's packaged up with everything else that makes the difference. MW does it pretty well. Agreed that the DLCs are great. And judging by your screenshots you've probably also dived into Tamriel Rebuilt, which looks amazing.

Like their meeting notes alone are fascinating reading: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/2021-07-04-meeting-summary was the last one. https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/online-meetings

I don't read them, but it's great to know these folks take the game so seriously.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm more a fan towards the vanilla experience even though I'm using mods to make the game more modern. I'm fine that morrowind takes place on the island and the dlc areas. I'm also afraid of fans making a landmass that's like 2x the size of the base game.

ALSO important thing of note for those reading. But in the Blood Moon Expansion for Morrowind you build the town of Raven Rock the same location that is part of the Skyrim Dragonborn dlc. The skyrim dlc takes place on the same island.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

I agree with some of what you say, but morrowind is no longer the high point of the series. The story is medicore and the gameplay is just awful if you don't know how to become a jumping god to leap across the land to make it bearable. Most quests are just ancient basic fetch quests so there's not too much to see. I would say the morrowind expansions are more worth it to play, well maybe just tribunal because you don't need to leap across the land since it's set in a small city. Blood moon is on another island so that requires leaping prowess.

In my opinion, there are 2 reasons Morrowind will always be the highpoint of the elder scrolls series.

1. It was the first (and last) AAA fantasy game that made you feel like you were stepping into a different world. Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Skyrim all seem like variants on the same generic fantasy setting you see in almost every single crpg. Seeing the city of Vivec and flying up to that hovering meteor, getting caught in your first ash storm low on health & not being sure where you are, stumbling into a random crypt to discover a maze with a giant viking funeral and a hidden passage in the ceiling. The first time I played it on release, I really felt like I was stepping into a different world.

2. The world building/story. Yes, you have to read a lot of text, but it still has one of the most interesting mythos in a AAA fantasy game. You spend your time moving forward, thinking you are the chosen one, and then 1/2 way through the game, you come across an actual cave filled with failed incarnates telling you how they didn't cut the mustard. How much do you want to bet Azura didn't come to them in a dream and tell them they were the chosen one? Heck, if you play the expansion it even becomes apparent that Dagoth Ur wasn't lying, and the tribunal did, in fact, gently caress you over and kill you for a chance at divinity. You get to roleplay as a pawn of the Deadra Lords, a pawn of the Tribunal, and can become powerful enough break free from this fate

I guess that's why I was so disappointed with Oblivion. Was it a better game graphically and mechanically? Absolutely. Was it as interesting and fun to play? Not really.

I also believe that the older you are, the more likely you are to love Morrowind. If you played Arena and Daggerfall, before this game was released, it was all of the above and a massive technical leap forward. It was filled with hand crafted dungeons that didn't break the game. If you tried playing this game because you liked Skyrim or Oblivion, then yeah, I can see why this janky, dice based rpg doesn't hit the same way.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, the lore in Morrowind was also written by a guy who used hallucinogens as his muse with the intent to make it as alien as possible. Then after Kirkbride left Bethesda decided to take a belt sander to it to make it less weird and icky.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BigRoman posted:

1. It was the first (and last) AAA fantasy game that made you feel like you were stepping into a different world. Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Skyrim all seem like variants on the same generic fantasy setting you see in almost every single crpg. Seeing the city of Vivec and flying up to that hovering meteor, getting caught in your first ash storm low on health & not being sure where you are, stumbling into a random crypt to discover a maze with a giant viking funeral and a hidden passage in the ceiling. The first time I played it on release, I really felt like I was stepping into a different world.

You really need to play chrono trigger, POE, POE, POE2, Days Gone, Holy Potatoes We're in Space, Shadowrun games, GTA5, Mass effect(all of them, even MEA(fight me)), Last of Us, Dark souls, The Surge, and countless other games.

I played daggerfall and morrowind at release. Don't put these games on a pedestal. There's plenty of games with good stories.

I loving love the gta5 credit music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu3SdvNmBQY

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 7, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skyrim is great for the 'huh, what's over there' exploration. people bag on it for cookie cutter dungeons, but they're all reasonably distinct, and each one has some kind of interesting gimmick. Everything else was a bit mediocre, but i forgive it because i am the forgiveness pope, and have that power.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Morrowind was extremely good

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
cyberdecks could have been a thing

if the cyber chip technology had been invented in the 90s like expected then cyberdecks would have been real

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

if the cyber chip technology had been invented in the 90s like expected then cyberdecks would have been real

I could see Crazy Edo sell that, cyberpibe not included :awesomelon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that dude is dapper af with that pipe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Chad Jihad posted:

Morrowind was extremely good

Yeah they should hire that Kirkbride guy back.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games so the derail is kind of meaningless for me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"Hey V, looking for some help, you in?

"Sure, what's the biz?"

"I'm setting up some car races and-"

"gently caress OFF"

Is there any reason to collect/buy all the vehicles? I ran into an issue with the flaming crotch sidequest where he wouldn't get on the bike and it took so long to steal a car for him I failed the quest. Otherwise I can't imagine a single reason to buy a vehicle in the game.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
No reason whatsoever

The bikes are cool, but if you do the quests youll get most of the coolest rides (scorpions bike, the chtulu)

Notable exception is the maimai which is cheap as hell

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has driving been patched to be acceptable yet?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Yes

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Found my first issue with a mod, there's a new-ish weapon rebalance mod that looks like it does some good poo poo, but I installed it without starting a new game and it changed the DPS on a generic green rarity rifle from 155 (in the normal range with all my other guns) to 550 lol

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think the Elder Scrolls games are a remarkable achievement on a number of fronts, and anyone who dismisses them uncritically is not someone who has well considered opinions on video games.

That said, Fallout 3 sucks and has no redeeming qualities.

A friend of mine absolutely LOVES Fallout 3!... after like the 30 different mods to make it run better, be more like his survivalist fantasy rather than lootfest, and rebalancing combat to be overall more deadly.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

pentyne posted:

"Hey V, looking for some help, you in?

"Sure, what's the biz?"

"I'm setting up some car races and-"

"gently caress OFF"

Is there any reason to collect/buy all the vehicles? I ran into an issue with the flaming crotch sidequest where he wouldn't get on the bike and it took so long to steal a car for him I failed the quest. Otherwise I can't imagine a single reason to buy a vehicle in the game.

There's an achievement for buying all the vehicles in the game, but yeah, there's really no good reason to do it.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

You really need to play chrono trigger, POE, POE, POE2, Days Gone, Holy Potatoes We're in Space, Shadowrun games, GTA5, Mass effect(all of them, even MEA(fight me)), Last of Us, Dark souls, The Surge, and countless other games.

I played daggerfall and morrowind at release. Don't put these games on a pedestal. There's plenty of games with good stories.

I loving love the gta5 credit music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu3SdvNmBQY

Read the first line of my post: "In my opinion, there are 2 reasons Morrowind will always be the highpoint of the elder scrolls series."

But nah, you caught me bro. I've never played any of those games! Especially not the 2 versions of Pillars of Eternity you just listed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Possibly one of them is Path Of Exile? Regardless, I will be dead in the ground before I consider playing a game called "Holy Potatoes We're in Space"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BigRoman posted:

In my opinion, there are 2 reasons Morrowind will always be the highpoint of the elder scrolls series.

2. The world building/story. Yes, you have to read a lot of text, but it still has one of the most interesting mythos in a AAA fantasy game. You spend your time moving forward, thinking you are the chosen one, and then 1/2 way through the game, you come across an actual cave filled with failed incarnates telling you how they didn't cut the mustard. How much do you want to bet Azura didn't come to them in a dream and tell them they were the chosen one? Heck, if you play the expansion it even becomes apparent that Dagoth Ur wasn't lying, and the tribunal did, in fact, gently caress you over and kill you for a chance at divinity. You get to roleplay as a pawn of the Deadra Lords, a pawn of the Tribunal, and can become powerful enough break free from this fate

I guess that's why I was so disappointed with Oblivion. Was it a better game graphically and mechanically? Absolutely. Was it as interesting and fun to play? Not really.

I also believe that the older you are, the more likely you are to love Morrowind. If you played Arena and Daggerfall, before this game was released, it was all of the above and a massive technical leap forward. It was filled with hand crafted dungeons that didn't break the game. If you tried playing this game because you liked Skyrim or Oblivion, then yeah, I can see why this janky, dice based rpg doesn't hit the same way.

Morrowind at release was incredible in some ways, mostly the physical worldbuilding. It was pretty loving alien, and first person at that. It's got a lot of distinct cultures who build differently, with very high fantasy quirks and weirdness that a lot of games just haven't done since.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Possibly one of them is Path Of Exile? Regardless, I will be dead in the ground before I consider playing a game called "Holy Potatoes We're in Space"

That was probably Pillars of Eternity, the original POE.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Otacon posted:

That was probably Pillars of Eternity, the original POE.

Pretty sure Path is older.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I played Oblivion for a few levels then got locked into a murder mystery shanty with no saves in the outside world and gave up forever because of that

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Pretty sure Path is older.

Oh god I'm getting old and forgetful, you're 100% correct

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

Never say never,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spVnY3753Nw

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Morrowind is grossly overrated to be hailed as the end all be all game that it really isn't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I didn't say never. But, upon viewing that trailer, I shall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Kingdom Come is the new Morrowind. :colbert:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Tenzarin posted:

Morrowind is grossly overrated to be hailed as the end all be all game that it really isn't.

That’s just, like, your opinion man

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Wow that completely made me lose interest in ever checking it out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I don't think anybody is saying it's the end-all be-all game, mostly why it had an outside impact and the things that it did well, as well as things that it did badly or things that have aged badly about it. It's not the end of the world if someone likes a game you didn't, you don't win cool points for just ranting about everything.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Those young ladies look pretty into the fact that I've played Morrowind (on the Xbox, as God intended.)

I wish people would stop telling them about me I hate being a sex symbol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
More like a sex cymbal.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
That guy has been trying and failing for like 100 pages to get anyone to respond to his low effort posts about cyberpunk but you guys all fell for his morrowind bait. :( Disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Morrowind felt special to me because its setting and visual design made it look as if we were exploring a different planet. Oblivion and Skyrim felt like the most generic fantasy in comparison so I never went deeper into them other than the classic experience of installing 100 mods and making them work together over 200 work hours, actually playing the game for an hour, forgetting about all of it and uninstalling it from the Steam list 2 years later.