Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

This thread is so depressing. You get paid very well to sit at a desk. It could be worse. Lots worse.

Wow, no poo poo? Thanks for the astute observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

For what it's worth, I've spun up 10,000 cores (the maximum you can enter in the quota increase form) in East US at once with no unexpected side effects

Interesting. Was it one of the popular regions? This was for eu-central-1 and our TAM was hitting the "oh poo poo" button about making sure they got provisioning there for the instance classes we need before our deploy date.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Virigoth posted:

Interesting. Was it one of the popular regions? This was for eu-central-1 and our TAM was hitting the "oh poo poo" button about making sure they got provisioning there for the instance classes we need before our deploy date.

east-us is insanely big.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow, no poo poo? Thanks for the astute observation.

Lol you having fun at your management job with no tech skills? You’re so cute. I love you the most.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Methanar posted:

east-us is insanely big.

That's what I figured it was. We've never had capacity issues there but in some of the smaller regions we have before which is why the TAMs wanted us to contact them for expansion.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

Lol you having fun at your management job with no tech skills? You’re so cute. I love you the most.

You about to melt for again?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

You about to melt for again?

Nah I just find it funny that internet explorer tries to rag on me and he’s a manager of nothing and no actual accomplishments he can rely on besides managing nothing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

This thread is so depressing. You get paid very well to sit at a desk. It could be worse. Lots worse.

Sometimes I wonder how much simpler my life would be if just threw all of my computers onto the highway and just made pizzas instead.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m sure he’s a good guy at heart but he’s basically worthless to this thread. Don’t end up like internet explorer people. You don’t want that life.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

What part of "I'm bored of my skillset" is hard to understand? I'd feel comfortable walking into any size environment with Microsoft stack and/or VDI/RDS, from the Windows side of things, from the storage side of things, or from the virtualization side of things.

Just because I was recently talking about managing topics doesn't mean I'm non-technical.

Your ignorance is showing.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

What part of "I'm bored of my skillset" is hard to understand? I'd feel comfortable walking into any size environment with Microsoft stack and/or VDI/RDS, from the Windows side of things, from the storage side of things, or from the virtualization side of things.

Just because I was recently talking about managing topics doesn't mean I'm non-technical.

Your ignorance is showing.

And yet you don’t

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I’m sure he’s a good guy at heart but he’s basically worthless to this thread. Don’t end up like internet explorer people. You don’t want that life.

Hahaha. Hold a grudge much?

I'm sorry I made fun of you for working at IBM. Honestly, you remind me a lot of Dilbert.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

And yet you don’t

Don't what? Walk into a bigger environment? I have 0 interest to.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

jaegerx posted:

Hey you're being a piece of poo poo

And I'm not saying that in a fun wink wink kinda way.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hahaha. Hold a grudge much?

I'm sorry I made fun of you for working at IBM. Honestly, you remind me a lot of Dilbert.

Where’ve you worked again? I’m sure I can google the weird msp in bumfuck Idaho

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

Where’ve you worked again? I’m sure I can google the weird msp in bumfuck Idaho

I spent a very small portion of my career at an MSP and I've never stepped foot in Idaho. Try again.

Back on the ignore list for you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m not fighting tonight. Done.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

I spent a very small portion of my career at an MSP and I've never stepped foot in Idaho. Try again.

Back on the ignore list for you.

Dude just don't. Everybody knows jeagerx can be a catty baby sometimes, you don't have to follow suit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So I had an interview with a manufacturing company today. Bunch of electrical and mechanical engineers, thought they could get away with doing their own IT for the last ten years.

They are the definition of technical debt.

They custom built their own CRM database. They built their own front-end file explorer because they didn't know how to properly use active directory security groups. They just bought new servers that are self-designed whiteboxes, and they can't use them because nobody knows how to upgrade vsphere from 4 to 6.

I politely told them to call an MSP and pray because I could not take the job for less than a massive six figure salary. It's going to take years to undo their pile of terrible.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Can I get some recommendations for kicking PowerShell scripting up a notch? Maybe some recommendations on best practice in TYOOL2018.

Also what does everyone use as a reference? I'm not sure if it's just my perspective but I find the MSFT docs way less useful than the MDN is for JavaScript.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Oh look it’s jagerx’s monthly meltdown

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cirofren posted:

Can I get some recommendations for kicking PowerShell scripting up a notch? Maybe some recommendations on best practice in TYOOL2018.

Also what does everyone use as a reference? I'm not sure if it's just my perspective but I find the MSFT docs way less useful than the MDN is for JavaScript.

Powershell in a month of lunches

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They custom built their own CRM database. They built their own front-end file explorer because they didn't know how to properly use active directory security groups. They just bought new servers that are self-designed whiteboxes, and they can't use them because nobody knows how to upgrade vsphere from 4 to 6.

What?

I find the ribbon bar annoying, LETS WRITE OUR OWN OPERATING SYSTEM! Budget please!

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Signed the paperwork for a promotion yesterday. Dropping the associate tag, now just a windows sys admin, ~13% raise (still being way underpaid).

I asked for a promotion almost 3 months ago, loving management was going to wait until my 1 yr mark in the role which is arbitrary. I had to push the issue with the senior manager (I have a supervisor, manager below that). Ruffled some feathers but I used our open door policy with the Director who was giving me advice on how to handle the issue and who said he was willing to step in if the right thing was done.

Def going to be jumping ship within a year or atleast to another department, can't stand my management, I used to work for the gov in another line of work where "time in grade" was a thing. But this isn't the government and arbitrary time in role can get hosed.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

jaegerx posted:

You can still be miserable sitting at a desk. Nobody here is saying the literally have it worse than line workers or whatever, but it's still loving lovely to feel like you're trapped in a hellish job.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They built their own front-end file explorer because they didn't know how to properly use active directory security groups.

They just bought new servers that are self-designed whiteboxes, and they can't use them because nobody knows how to upgrade vsphere from 4 to 6.

My eyes got really big at the first part. Then somehow you managed to get them even bigger. I actually love spearheading insane cleanup like this. I’ve never encountered anything as severe as custom file browsers as a workaround but I just want to spend a week observing and another week writing a report on that environment. This would be an amazing job... if the staff understood that they need help, and had at least some shade of a budget to accomplish the remediation

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

jaegerx posted:

he’s a manager of nothing and no actual accomplishments he can rely on besides managing nothing.
You're also describing me. Don't tell me you don't like Ole Stripey. :(

Missing: 5 direct reports. If found please return to Stripe c/o Dignity, PO Box 31933

I do want to start contributing more but to be honest I've just kinda spent my entire post career shooting the breeze. I lurk the tech threads and have a pretty good collection of links and insights copied into OneNote, but I always don't feel like I need to try to win the race to answer a question that 4 other people are going to answer, so I probably seem a bit aloof.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 25, 2018

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Powershell in a month of lunches

Thanks. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere so with this recommendation as well I should probably pick it up.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Aunt Beth posted:

My eyes got really big at the first part. Then somehow you managed to get them even bigger. I actually love spearheading insane cleanup like this. I’ve never encountered anything as severe as custom file browsers as a workaround but I just want to spend a week observing and another week writing a report on that environment. This would be an amazing job... if the staff understood that they need help, and had at least some shade of a budget to accomplish the remediation

The biggest problem is that they don't understand how bad their environment is. They think their file browser is awesome because they stopped people from accidentally deleting 10 year old files or dropping them into the wrong folder. They want the new IT guy to adopt it and make it better.

They are super proud of their whitebox server nodes because they were 1/5 the cost of Dell servers. They're sitting on a shelf, completely unused. The shelf unit has three giant racks with servers and SANs stacked up. I asked if they were planning on getting a server cabinet and they said nah, the current setup has better ventilation. A simple bump into the corner of the shelf would shake the SANs enough that drives would likely die.

Their firewall is a Ubiquiti edgerouter. When asked if they were willing to upgrade to proper Cisco gear, they said I would have to justify it by providing marked network performance improvement.

I seriously wish these guys well, they all seemed really cool and happy to work there, but they need an IT jesus. What they claim to want is a half-IT guy half-C++ coding guy, because they don't think their IT work is a full-time job.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Oh good lord. Nooooooope.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The biggest problem is that they don't understand how bad their environment is. They think their file browser is awesome because they stopped people from accidentally deleting 10 year old files or dropping them into the wrong folder. They want the new IT guy to adopt it and make it better.

They are super proud of their whitebox server nodes because they were 1/5 the cost of Dell servers. They're sitting on a shelf, completely unused. The shelf unit has three giant racks with servers and SANs stacked up. I asked if they were planning on getting a server cabinet and they said nah, the current setup has better ventilation. A simple bump into the corner of the shelf would shake the SANs enough that drives would likely die.

Their firewall is a Ubiquiti edgerouter. When asked if they were willing to upgrade to proper Cisco gear, they said I would have to justify it by providing marked network performance improvement.

I seriously wish these guys well, they all seemed really cool and happy to work there, but they need an IT jesus. What they claim to want is a half-IT guy half-C++ coding guy, because they don't think their IT work is a full-time job.

I know that smell. It smells like "spiceworks mvp".

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cirofren posted:

Thanks. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere so with this recommendation as well I should probably pick it up.

More tips now that I’m not in a hurry:

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, this thread ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440&perpage=40&pagenumber=60 ) and r/powershell are both good resources.

Look around your environment for small repetitive tasks. Make them easier with powershell, then automate them, then move on to larger tasks, repeat forever.

Learn git. Sooner rather than later it’ll make your life easier.

After you’re comfortable with git, start looking at cd/ci and associates practices.

Making a change to a script, pushing it to your git repository, then having it automatically test and deploy to your server is a damned good feeling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I know that smell. It smells like "spiceworks mvp".

Where's Scott Alan Miller when you need him?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Maintenance window!
It's 11:04 and we're all still here in the office just trying to loving download windows patches. We've been at it since 6 and the patches were supposed to have downloaded by noon today.
what the gently caress is happening :gonk:

Has anyone tried Old Forester whisky? Shits fire yo, and fukkin cheap at <$20/bottle

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Maintenance window!
It's 11:04 and we're all still here in the office just trying to loving download windows patches. We've been at it since 6 and the patches were supposed to have downloaded by noon today.
what the gently caress is happening :gonk:

Has anyone tried Old Forester whisky? Shits fire yo, and fukkin cheap at <$20/bottle

How are you getting the patches on the servers? SCCM?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If they've been there that long for patches, I'm going to say there's a floppy disk involved at some point.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 25, 2018

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

This is no joke. This thread is filled with (including the people bitching in the past 3 pages) incredibly smart people who get paid to be smart and solve problems. Your primary skill set is probably NOT IT knowledge, it's your ability to learn and solve problems. Even if your work environment is crappy, your job isn't to make bricks or smelt ore or gently caress guys for money. It's to use your brain to solve problems. That's loving awesome. If there are problems with the culture at your company, you can solve that. You can find a new company, or you can work at changing the culture of your current one. Either way, you are probably making more than the median salary in america, and certainly of the world. It's unlikely you are wondering where your next meal will come from or whether you will have a roof over your head. Smile about that, and realize your life is pretty great. Then get to work at solving the problems you see, like the smart person you almost have to be if you are participating in this thread.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m 26 and making $2k less than the median household income in my town. Not even joking I feel a little bit guilty because of how much better I’m doing than the rest of the burnouts I used to hang out with.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I got a little scared today half way through my private bus ride home because I had decided to not go to the bathroom before leaving.

But I didn't poop myself today.

So yeah, I'm worth the money. Thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Yeah, as much as I complain it's worlds better than the last couple jobs I had before getting into IT. Like as a bouncer where I saw coworkers get shot and stabbed*; then the management decided we all needed protective vests, the costs deducted from our pay. Or working as a gas station attendant, where I got robbed working solo on the graveyard shift. At least that kind of poo poo wont happen here.

*they lived