Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
anthem has sum of the most uninspiured art direction in the world of videogames 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like the world but yeah. The power armor is generic as gently caress.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The marketplace intro felt very Star Wars.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm really glad that they're ending the Mass Effect franchise on a wet fart so they can put all their eggs in the Destinyfall basket. I'm sure its inevitable failure to meet sky-high sales expectations won't have any Battleborn-esque disastrous consequences for this beloved studio :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Every scifi game world just feels so uninspired to me after playing Xenoblade Chronicles, where the game takes place on two giant robots. Do something cool like that and you might grab my interest again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So you're still a ":*<INSERT TITLE HERE>* piece of poo poo character. :barf:
Inquisitor
Pathfinder
Freelancer, now. :hai:

So is the banter at the beginning of the 6 minute trailer supposed to be between players, or ingame characters? Like, it's horrible - "I'm gonna take my ranger, try out some new upgrades." :hai::hai:

Who the gently caress talks like this dumb poo poo?
edit: okay, it's supposed to be players. Haha jfc.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 12, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
So, you're the new JAVELIN-KIN I've been hearing so much about.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Drifter posted:

So you're still a ":*<INSERT TITLE HERE>* piece of poo poo character. :barf:
Inquisitor
Pathfinder
Freelancer, now. :hai:

Hey Freelancer, get in your Javelin and go fight the Scar, but make sure to look out for the Shaper Storms

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

So is the banter at the beginning of the 6 minute trailer supposed to be between players, or ingame characters? Like, it's horrible - "I'm gonna take my ranger, try out some new upgrades." :hai::hai:

Who the gently caress talks like this dumb poo poo?

It's a demonstration of expected player experience. All the cool co-op games do it nowadays.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I love the boring voices they use, then.

Ekusukariba posted:

Hey Freelancer, get in your Javelin and go fight the Scar, but make sure to look out for the Shaper Storms

Haha, Somebody go back and compare the first gameplay trailer of Andromeda with this trailer for Destiny1.5. Let's see some keyword bingo.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 12, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
yeah, i also thought Paul was some dumb NPC going on about XP & loot drops which tanked my expctations even more

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I mean it starts with what sounds like in-game dialogue and then there's Realistic Player Banter and they sound pretty much the same or do I have hearing problems?

Also if they shifted Mass Effect to focus entirely on quarians, volus, elcor and hanar they wouldn't have so many facial animation issues.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At least everyone in the team is a freelancer instead of there only being one messiah. What are you called in Destiny? Guardian?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dreadful.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Well I guess it's neat to see that Bioware can make a game that doesn't look 10 years old.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The opening bit being a first person shot of an NPC talking almost seemed like a "See? This guy's face animates" thing

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

ub posted:

Well I guess it's neat to see that Bioware can make a game that doesn't look 10 years old.

The early trailers for Andromeda didn't look 10 years old either. Then we saw what the actual, non-doctored game footage looked like.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah lol if you think the actual game is gonna look or play anything like that trailer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The opening bit being a first person shot of an NPC talking almost seemed like a "See? This guy's face animates" thing

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Also I'm glad I'm not the only retard that took a second to realize that the voice over had changed from the actual character speaking to the side quest man to what was meant to be a player on a mic

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

yeah, i also thought Paul was some dumb NPC going on about XP & loot drops which tanked my expctations even more

i'm a bit puzzled by the direction of the writing too but i admit a friends simulator for MMOs is probably something that hasn't been done before :v:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

hard counter posted:

i'm a bit puzzled by the direction of the writing too but i admit a friends simulator for MMOs is probably something that hasn't been done before :v:

What about .hack

Yet another feature bioware has ripped off!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The intro gimmick with the friends talking to each other in-game but not so in-game was first done in the Division trailer (2013).

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's a thought for you: how well do you think a free range of flight is gonna mesh with MMO gameplay? I can answer that: awfully. Cause the enemies are either gonna be easy to outwit with the movement or they will have pinpoint accuracy and will be able to shoot you down with ease.

Like the trailer shows them running from a giant lizard enemy. What's he gonna be able to actually do? If he's stuck in melee then you just fly around him. More likely that in the actual game he will just use some bullshit ranged attack to blow you up instantly. Stuff like that happened all the time in Xenoblade X, a game I see as being very similar to this.

Firefall had the same concept as this, the gameplay devolved into 'Accept Mission>Wing-Glide to Mission>Complete Mission>Repeat' They can limit this artificially by using caves/canyons/hills etc to force players to stay close to the ground so it's all a matter of having an in-tune mapping team. My bet is they will limit the free flight to 'gliding' so you can't go higher than you already are unless it's a character ability.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Looks like we're getting more Bioware hair though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

bioware.jpg

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So now that the train has pulled into the station and the games been out a bit, is the multiplayer sick nasty? Is the game good if you don't care about anything but story and soft core loving aliens.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Unknown, they won't even really acknowledge that it's in development right now.
Naw, they've explicitly said it's in development. Few (many?) pages back in the thread one of the guys that wrote Fallen London is working on some side content for it. IIRC it's not set to release until after Anthem though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They were also shopping around the idea of a Dragon Age side game that might play like a Fire Emblem. I would be very down with that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The intro gimmick with the friends talking to each other in-game but not so in-game was first done in the Division trailer (2013).

And, like all great marketing, it was based on selling a dream. In this case, the dream was "Imagine if your fellow players weren't dipshits". Everyone knew that the players they'd be teamed with wouldn't be like Nick in the trailer, casual and friendly but perpetually more or less on task. But maybe, just maybe, you'd get a group like that some day.

And that was a much better trailer, both for banter and for basic setup. The banter didn't break the fourth wall as much, the setup was more exciting and implied to be more common. (Here, a specific mission is just a couple jerk aliens who go down to one special. There, just listening for gunfire lead to a fight in a police station with a little sidequest attached on arrival).

I mean, again, both are non-representative as hell, but the Division does a much better job of looking like a cool game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

They were also shopping around the idea of a Dragon Age side game that might play like a Fire Emblem. I would be very down with that.

like every other western dev they'd probably completely misunderstand what makes srpgs good, tho

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

like every other western dev they'd probably completely misunderstand what makes srpgs good, tho

"Is...is it the waifus?" -Bioware

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

marshmallow creep posted:

Finally Bioware can make the anime they've always dreamed of.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I like the goat legs in the Javelins

Aside from that, whatever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They have goat legs because it let's them recycle the Turian/Salarian/Krogan/Quarian Andromeda animations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

They have goat legs because it let's them recycle the Turian/Salarian/Krogan/Quarian Andromeda animations.

Nah, this game will have a proper animation budget

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This game will tank because EA husked Bioware's staff on Dragon's Teeth and gave their flagship franchise to newbies so they could allocate everyone talented onto a doomed Destiny-like.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just can't wait for the preorder founder pack announcement for Anthem of Battleborn: Destiny Division.

I mean Bioware has released nothing but a string of quality products over the past decade. How could it possibly be a bad idea?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bioware's last MMO was a huge success so I'm sure this one will be even better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Internet Kraken posted:

Bioware's last MMO was a huge success so I'm sure this one will be even better.

TOR's actually doing pretty well despite a rocky start. It's dropping off again at the moment, though, due to the endgame of the current expansion being boring and grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

TOR's actually doing pretty well despite a rocky start. It's dropping off again at the moment, though, due to the endgame of the current expansion being boring and grindy.

TOR is surviving because like STO it has the power of an established brand and legions of fans loyal to the IP more than loyal to any actual quality game. So it isn't required to be actually competitive with game play offerings.

People play it because it's the Star Wars game and they'll keep playing it no matter what because it's the Star Wars game.

Bob Dylan in a mech suit has the legions of loyal fans from Bioware's good name and established good will? Nah I don't think so.