Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

dissss posted:

Which has since been replaced with this awkward looking thing based of the Ranger

This is the one that is totally absolutely 100% not the new bronco they're working on, right?

Also since its christmas and miracles might happen I really want ford to bring back the falcon as a four door on the mustang platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It has the face of a creature that's run face-first into a glass door.

It's just the Ranger front - I guess we all expect utes to be hideously ugly and don't notice it so much on them.

Anyway all of the ute based 'SUV's have awful proportions

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

dissss posted:

Pity the body/chassis rust was a standard feature (or at least it was until the facelift by which time the reputation was already trashed).

Also the turbo AWD was hilariously thirsty. I borrowed one to go skiing back in the day and saw well over 25l/100km over the course of the trip.

Yeah, they were rust buckets. I don't like territories as I dislike all SUVs, and they were hilariously thristy. But more of them around, means more junkyard drivetrains for people to buy and put into better cars later.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

As Nero Danced posted:

This is the one that is totally absolutely 100% not the new bronco they're working on, right?

I have bad news for you that you aren't going to like. The new Bronco is very likely to be a minimum-effort mid-cycle refresh to the current Ranger T6-based Ford Everest. The latest spy photos of the Ranger prototypes around Detroit are also showing what looks like a revised bed and some front fascia tweaks an otherwise unchanged existing LHD (Chinese market?) Ranger T6.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EnergizerFellow posted:

I have bad news for you that you aren't going to like. The new Bronco is very likely to be a minimum-effort mid-cycle refresh to the current Ranger T6-based Ford Everest. The latest spy photos of the Ranger prototypes around Detroit are also showing what looks like a revised bed and some front fascia tweaks an otherwise unchanged existing LHD (Chinese market?) Ranger T6.

Hey if it was good enough for the Colorado...

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

dissss posted:

Hey if it was good enough for the Colorado...

And to that end I fully expect the next global Colorado/Trailblazer to come stateside here in a few years as that's when it's up for a refresh and GM's big SUV/CUV re-org should be wrapped up by then. I suspect the reason we didn't get the current Trailblazer stateside this time around was too many competing same-size unibody CUVs at the time and it's that certain kind of Chinese ugly that just won't fly here. There's also that huge Trailblazer-sized sub-Escalade hole in Cadillac's lineup that needs to be plugged. Given the strength of the Escalade brand, it wouldn't surprise me for GM to pull a JLR and call it the Escalade Sport.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://jalopnik.com/even-more-leaked-mid-engine-corvette-cad-images-show-ne-1821585349

The mid engine vette is happening, but I’m more interested in how these turbo V8s will end up in other GM products

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cool startup feel posted:

https://jalopnik.com/even-more-leaked-mid-engine-corvette-cad-images-show-ne-1821585349

The mid engine vette is happening, but I’m more interested in how these turbo V8s will end up in other GM products

I’m still holding out hope that it’s not a Corvette at all, and we’re about to see a badass, $200,000 revival of the Fiero.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Most interesting bit from that engineering drawing is that the upper intake manifold assembly looks to be a pair of air to water heat exchangers. Makes total sense from an engineering and packaging perspective on the "why didn't I think of that" level.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 27, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eyebeem posted:

I’m still holding out hope that it’s not a Corvette at all, and we’re about to see a badass, $200,000 revival of the Fiero.

The Furioso.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Furiosa, the top level trim can be call Imperator.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

BigPaddy posted:

Furiosa, the top level trim can be call Imperator.
Surely everyone remembers Isdera already made a car called the Imperator!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hhrrrrnngh those inlet pipes, I dunno exactly why they're all swoopy like that but you don't go away from circular tubes without good reason. Bet there's some batshit crazy flow optimization going on there. That or just super-tight packaging but w/e they look cool.

I always wondered with air/water intercoolers, do they just use radiator water or do they have a dedicated water cooler mounted elsewhere?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Enourmo posted:

Hhrrrrnngh those inlet pipes, I dunno exactly why they're all swoopy like that but you don't go away from circular tubes without good reason. Bet there's some batshit crazy flow optimization going on there. That or just super-tight packaging but w/e they look cool.

I always wondered with air/water intercoolers, do they just use radiator water or do they have a dedicated water cooler mounted elsewhere?

Its probably just for packaging constraints to turn them around the manifold intake pipes and still have enough clearance from the body.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

I think they use their own separate radiator and have their own loop. Not sure it’s for cleaner parts sharing with non-turbo engines or because the coolant needs to behave differently though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

donut posted:

Surely everyone remembers Isdera already made a car called the Imperator!

Periscope ruining the doorstop shape.

e: \/ \/ GM commonly runs air/water intercoolers on the CTS-V supercharger. A buddy of mine put a blower off a CTS-V on his commodore SS and now runs low 11's at the strip with it.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 27, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Enourmo posted:

Dedicated pump and rad. It won't work unless it's cool water.
Jeez, sometimes I think I was the only one here that was an adult in the 1990s ;) . Air/water intercoolers were popular back in the day.
Before the rx7 or subaru hood mount air to air, it was either no intercooler or an air/water one. Back then long piping for front mount air to air was deemed bad due to lag.

E: sorry to mess up my post bloodbag, I just got rambling. Yeah, supercharged cars are in a similar state. Either nothing or water/air

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 27, 2017

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Lots of old diesels did air/water charge cooling with the engine coolant, in that situation called an aftercooler (the terminology is a bit backwards there when you think about it). Under high boost the air is still hotter than the coolant. Much more predictable in varying weather conditions and quicker warmup, at least.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Some typical old Corvette enthusiast got mad at me the other week for pointing out we're likely to see a mid-engine Vette and he launched into a tirade about human being euro engines, millenials and the decline of Western Civilization

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Did you mention the prototype mid engine rotary 'vette from the 70s? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aerovette
I don't think it ever worked right, but it was the first quad rotor I believe.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 27, 2017

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

BloodBag posted:

GM commonly runs air/water intercoolers on the CTS-V supercharger. A buddy of mine put a blower off a CTS-V on his commodore SS and now runs low 11's at the strip with it.

GM has a top-exit supercharger with the heat exchangers are above/beside and part of the screw casing in the LC3/LSA/LS9/LT4, along with Chrysler on the Hellcat, but doing it in an on-road turbocharged application like this is new, near as I can tell. Even with top-mount Subaru and Mazda applications you still have a pretty conventional looking heat exchanger that is separate from the intake and not part of the intake itself.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Lots of old diesels did air/water charge cooling with the engine coolant, in that situation called an aftercooler (the terminology is a bit backwards there when you think about it). Under high boost the air is still hotter than the coolant. Much more predictable in varying weather conditions and quicker warmup, at least.

Interestingly, I can find some examples of marine and locomotive turbo diesels with intercoolers built into the intake, but nothing on-road that I'm aware of.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 27, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

EnergizerFellow posted:

GM has a top-exit supercharger with the heat exchangers are above/beside and part of the screw casing in the LC3/LSA/LS9/LT4, along with Chrysler on the Hellcat, but doing it in an on-road turbocharged application like this is new, near as I can tell. Even with top-mount Subaru and Mazda applications you still have a pretty conventional looking heat exchanger that is separate from the intake and not part of the intake itself.

Interestingly, I can find some examples of marine and locomotive turbo diesels with intercoolers built into the intake, but nothing on-road that I'm aware of.

Marine is really easy since you should have a steady source of fresh coolant at all times.

V8s and V6s are packed in such a way that this approach makes sense.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

EnergizerFellow posted:

Cummins 855 camsnappers used em for a bit in on road applications, Deere liked them a lot in the 70s too (most 6404Ts had them) but they obviously didn't make on road stuff.
They would've been pretty popular with farm equipment in general I'd imagine since it's one less heat exchanger to get plugged up with dust and organics.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 27, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Fo3 posted:

Did you mention the prototype mid engine rotary 'vette from the 70s? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aerovette
I don't think it ever worked right, but it was the first quad rotor I believe.

There was also an aluminium-bodied mid-engined prototype in 1972, and CERV III in the 1990s: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/gms-heritage-collection-fuel-cells-evs-concept-cars-and-more/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Some kind of supercharged 5.2l Mustang is on the way.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I test drove a Stinger premium yesterday. It was really solid and really good. I've only driven 2 other Kias and the Stinger didn't feel like it was made by Kia at all.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Edit: oops, wrong thread

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

TheWevel posted:

I test drove a Stinger premium yesterday. It was really solid and really good. I've only driven 2 other Kias and the Stinger didn't feel like it was made by Kia at all.

My friend just got one so I’ll be trying it out later this week.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

TheWevel posted:

As someone following it closely I can say there's already a service bulletin for dealers to replace the rear hatch bumpers which have been rattling, and many reports of people with the 15-speaker sound system saying the two under-seat subwoofers aren't actually working. Waiting to hear something official on that. I loved sitting in it at my local dealer but didn't bother test driving as we've been having 20 degree days this week and figured the summer tires wouldn't hold up, then this morning it snowed.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Speaking of the Ranger...

https://jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-new-ford-ranger-is-already-off-roading-i-1821660039

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So it's larger than a goddamn F150 from a couple years ago?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

So it's larger than a goddamn F150 from a couple years ago?

A bit of hyperbole, but it's about the same size as a Colorado. Barely shorter lengthwise, the same height, a foot narrower than the 1/2 tons.

CAFE works off footprint, length/width. so we'll never get anything smaller than a RCSB f-150.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Given that the Ranger is already equipped with the 3.2L diesel that's federalized here via the Ford Transit, there's a decent chance we'll see a diesel Ranger here, but who knows.

There's also still active rumors the F150/Expedition will get the JLR V6 diesel in the next year last I heard, so who knows.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The diesel F-150 isn't a rumor, it's official.

The Ranger Raptor, which is official for australia at least, is rumored to have a 2 liter 4 cylinder diesel with as much power as the 3.2

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

EnergizerFellow posted:

There's also still active rumors the F150/Expedition will get the JLR V6 diesel in the next year last I heard, so who knows.

Considering it's a Ford designed and built engine, I'd say it's a safe bet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AJD-V6/PSA_DT17

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Powershift posted:

A bit of hyperbole, but it's about the same size as a Colorado. Barely shorter lengthwise, the same height, a foot narrower than the 1/2 tons.

CAFE works off footprint, length/width. so we'll never get anything smaller than a RCSB f-150.
True.

And that foot narrower width is a big deal in normal driving, towing, parking, cargo....

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Speaking of Fords, my company car is a new V6 AWD taurus. It's super great ergonomically, the sync works well with my phone, the car looks nice, it moves fast enough, etc. I can't buy one for the family, though, because a sedan doesn't work - how great would it be in a wagon body though! I just wish ford would bring that here.

Never dreamed I'd want a Taurus.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Speaking of Fords, my company car is a new V6 AWD taurus. It's super great ergonomically, the sync works well with my phone, the car looks nice, it moves fast enough, etc. I can't buy one for the family, though, because a sedan doesn't work - how great would it be in a wagon body though! I just wish ford would bring that here.

Never dreamed I'd want a Taurus.

Your wish has been answered and it's called the Ford Flex. It's the Taurus wagon you want, same platform and all, and effectively identical mechanically. Ford is looking to unload a bunch of Flex inventory too, so there's some screaming deals to be had, both sale and lease.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't think the Flex went over very well but it's apparently a decent family station-wagon-ey people-mover. I think people were put off by the design or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I don't think the Flex went over very well but it's apparently a decent family station-wagon-ey people-mover. I think people were put off by the design or something

It survived for 10 years basically unchanged.

Sure, it sold as many units in 10 years as the Explorer does in 1, but someone liked it enough to keep building them.