Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Let's face it. The real mod we're all holding out for is the AI vending machine romance mod with fully animated sex scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Silverhand was the only interesting part of the story though. Without him there's absolutely nothing interesting that's going on.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jack Trades posted:

Silverhand was the only interesting part of the story though. Without him there's absolutely nothing interesting that's going on.

Johnny is an absolutely awful character who sits as the albatross around the neck of this game. He would have been fine as a background character ala Rogue, but having him constantly shoehorn in to do either A: Shittalk You, or B: Be Wrong About Everything Always is a baffling decision. Imagine if you were playing the Witcher 3 and every 10 minutes the game had to stop so the ghost of Jimmy Goldsword could appear to call Geralt a dumb bitch and talk about how cool he was when he was alive. Also it's common knowledge in-game that Jimmy died setting an orphanage on fire because it was run by a king or some stupid poo poo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

v1ld posted:

Which is why probably every 3rd mod for those games is an ENB or reshade. Other games don't seem to need them so much.

Are there 30-35 useful, working perks in the trees?

I don't like the skill trees in this game to be honest. The point's been made before that it feels like the people designing the gameplay/quests weren't talking to the people designing the skill trees and perks.

Or maybe they just removed this entire, huge underwater quest chain because of the early release and we're going to get CP: Atlantis as the first DLC where we'll need the swimming skills.

well in TT there are retractable cyberfins for your feet, and gills, and you can clamp extra air canisters directly to your body. One of the example runs is a derelict ship and Pondsmith himself runs it somewhere on youtube. He even does rolls with physical dice still.

If i was running a game that had underwater sections i'd throw in a few polluted poisonous ones where the permanent waterbreathing that gills gives makes exposure to toxins significantly worse. But I'd also be a prick about everything and if they didn't do something to decontaminate i'd gently caress with em anyway

Dr_Amazing posted:

One thing I was really confused about in Fallout 4 was when exactly the player is supposed to find out that he was frozen for years after his son was taken

It seemed to me at first that only a few hours had passed and you send a good chunk of the early game telling everyone that you were looking for this baby. Then later you see a recording of the guy who kidnapped him with a young child. I'm like "Oh wow it's been years! Good twist!" but none of the characters react to this or seem to find it noteworthy. Then way later you find out it's actually been decades and they act like that's the big twist, but I felt like they were just hitting me with the same thing twice.

the first part of the game self-spoilers this imo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
One of the best quests in Witcher 3 was the one where your horse talks poo poo to you while you're trying to investigate.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jack Trades posted:

One of the best quests in Witcher 3 was the one where your horse talks poo poo to you while you're trying to investigate.

That quest also doesn't last 20+ hours

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That quest also doesn't last 20+ hours

It should've.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Johnny is an absolutely awful character who sits as the albatross around the neck of this game. He would have been fine as a background character ala Rogue, but having him constantly shoehorn in to do either A: Shittalk You, or B: Be Wrong About Everything Always is a baffling decision. Imagine if you were playing the Witcher 3 and every 10 minutes the game had to stop so the ghost of Jimmy Goldsword could appear to call Geralt a dumb bitch and talk about how cool he was when he was alive. Also it's common knowledge in-game that Jimmy died setting an orphanage on fire because it was run by a king or some stupid poo poo.

I agree. It would have been much better if Brendan the talking vending machine was our in-game buddy from the opening through to epilogue.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Imagine if you were playing the Witcher 3 and every 10 minutes the game had to stop so the ghost of Jimmy Goldsword could appear to call Geralt a dumb bitch and talk about how cool he was when he was alive. Also it's common knowledge in-game that Jimmy died setting an orphanage on fire because it was run by a king or some stupid poo poo.

that literally Hearts Of Stone and you just described Vlodimir von Everec

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The only mod that would get me back into this game is if there was one that deleted Johnny "Edgelord" Silverhand entirely. I had high hopes going in but having a woman abusing straight white guy constantly popping up to belittle me at every possible second just absolutely slew any enjoyment in the story. Especially given the lame cop out endings. A far more interesting story would, imo, have been Jackie slotting the chip and dying without giving it up. V still gets capped but survives ala FNV, or hell just have Takemura save you at the last minute. Everyone's sad about Jackie dying and they have a funeral for him at the bar only for him to suddenly sit up in the middle of the service. The rest of the story could even play out the same but with the added guessing game of figuring out just how much of your buddy is left and how much is the perennial loser terrorist. You still get to be V and you have full agency over what happens to your character. Idk though I'm just spitballin here.

if he was a woman abusing gay white guy would it have been cool

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mandrel posted:

if he was a woman abusing gay white guy would it have been cool

What

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
he was an everyone abusing bi multiracial guy

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think the only major character I'm a bit :thunk: on is Evelyn Parker.

Maybe I missed it but I never felt like I had a handle on WHY she went on this orgy of double crossing everyone in the first place. She double crosses the Arasaka heir for the Voodoo Boys, then uses famously famous fixer Dex to build a crew to double cross the Voodoo Boys, then asks you to double cross Dex, then ghosts you and lies constantly to Judy until her brain is fried.

But_why.gif

E: I get that this is a setting where the only way to get ahead for most people is to take suicidal risks but goddamn.

E2: Holy poo poo her plan to hide is to go work at an establishment run by a gang affiliated with the target of the heist (the Tyger Claws are Arasaka's "cat's paw" :haw: on the streets), and spend every day walking in front of their security cameras and plugging into their network. It's a miracle Arasaka didn't kill her before the Voodoo Boys found her and spike her.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 9, 2021

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I disagree. I’ve even got a crazy theory that the sixth stat in the game is completely geared towards Johnny and you can make him do all sorts of poo poo with you like fight along side you and even drive your car to a certain destination while you shoot. It would be hella rad to just make him real so you have back up on your missions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

4 is a far better technical game than 3, but 3 and NV's leveling and stat system is just more satisfying. Number go up tends to trump nebulous perk descriptions in the feeling department (though Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk make 4's perk tree look a more appealing in hindsight). 4 is also way too bloated contentwise for how quickly you smash the balance curve in that game (outright being given power armor 2 hours in didn't help matters), I made it to like hour 60 on a replay and still had central Boston and the eastern side of the map to contend with not even counting Far Harbor or Nuka World and I just had to tap out.

The Luck tree was incredibly OP, only a few points in and I basically got free kills forever through VATs mode. Eventually I got to the point where I can one-shot on-demand critical hit anything, so I'd one-shot legendary enemies and then re-load my save if the loot drop was bad. Take that, giant crab thing that is trivial to me.

Dr_Amazing posted:

One thing I was really confused about in Fallout 4 was when exactly the player is supposed to find out that he was frozen for years after his son was taken

It seemed to me at first that only a few hours had passed and you send a good chunk of the early game telling everyone that you were looking for this baby. Then later you see a recording of the guy who kidnapped him with a young child. I'm like "Oh wow it's been years! Good twist!" but none of the characters react to this or seem to find it noteworthy. Then way later you find out it's actually been decades and they act like that's the big twist, but I felt like they were just hitting me with the same thing twice.

I fuckin killed my son as soon as I encountered him, out of habit. Someone walks up to me, I popped VATS, and OHKO critical hit whatever walks in my view. The game doesn't acknowledge it in any way whatsoever, people still talk to you like they would if you didn't do that, the game has no way of knowing what you did or registering homeboy as dead. Progression gets weird, making it hard to leave the place, but if you do, the game just treats it like you decided not to side with those goons. Preston is just like "oh cool, ur choosing the minuteman, right?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I really have to hand it to Bethesda, they could very easily have just made that character unkillable but they didn't. Hearing about people killing him and finding out who he actually was on the internet later was great

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I vote Jackie for best character and he dies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I really have to hand it to Bethesda, they could very easily have just made that character unkillable but they didn't. Hearing about people killing him and finding out who he actually was on the internet later was great

I'm not handing them anything for that. A) They still do plenty of unkillable NPCs and B) They don't acknowledge your actions in any way whatsoever. Seems fair to conclude they just fuckin' forgot to flag that NPC as immortal, I don't believe that was a conscious design choice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I find the ability to kill every npc in a game... overrated....

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Did Fallout 4 really let you kill every NPC or did it pretend like you could do it, the way Skyrim and Oblivion did it?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fallout 4 has immortal npcs.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

If he wasn't immortal, Preston would have been murdered in approximately 93% of all play throughs of Fallout4

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
He was alright, like, not amazing, but decent. He wasn't annoying like most of the "wacky" followers that most gamers seem to love :|

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Preston the character seemed... fine... it was more the annoying barrage of "GO SAVE TOWN PLZ" that made people mad about him IIRC.

e: Holy poo poo did Fallout 4 of all things have better characters than The Outer Worlds? Were they all more boring than the French maid nurse robot and the... uh... android detective?

Dogmeat wins by default because they're a dog so I'm not really counting that. :smugdog:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I liked Nick Valentine

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:siren: MOD TEST UPDATE :siren:

Enhanced Throwing Knives mod gives you the option of either a) recovering thrown knives from the ground/body of the victim, or b) just never taking the knife out of your inventory. After forgetting to do it over and over, I finally took the throwing knives perk and tried it out.

Out of laziness I took the one that just keeps the knife in your inventory which might break ~immersion~ but is just more convenient. It's animated so it looks like you're taking a new knife off your belt or something after each throw, so not bad there.

So let's talk about throwing knife gameplay!

The game doesn't separate "knife to throw" and "knife to stab" as weapon types so you just stick a knife in a weapon slot and draw it. Then you are free to stab with it or throw it. So if you want to be a knife nut kind of character it's pretty seamless really and looks good.

Thrown weapons seem to kill poo poo pretty well from stealth. As you'd expect/hope they're 100% silent. The "rate of fire" is slow even by the standards of the big revolvers and you have no zoom, so for distant stealth kills or a mix of sneak attack/open combat they're obviously not as good. But a thrown knife at an unaware generic enemy for your level seems to pretty much 1 hit kill them. One poor schmuck had their entire arm taken off lol

Fun observation: there's a mission where even if you use silenced guns to shoot somebody, you get a message asking if everything is OK because the NPC heard shots. But if you sneak attack throwing knife fools they don't.

You could do an all knife playthrough now and have it work pretty well with this mod I think.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sean10mm posted:

Maybe I missed it but I never felt like I had a handle on WHY she went on this orgy of double crossing everyone in the first place. She double crosses the Arasaka heir for the Voodoo Boys, then uses famously famous fixer Dex to build a crew to double cross the Voodoo Boys, then asks you to double cross Dex, then ghosts you and lies constantly to Judy until her brain is fried.

But_why.gif

E: I get that this is a setting where the only way to get ahead for most people is to take suicidal risks but goddamn.

E2: Holy poo poo her plan to hide is to go work at an establishment run by a gang affiliated with the target of the heist (the Tyger Claws are Arasaka's "cat's paw" :haw: on the streets), and spend every day walking in front of their security cameras and plugging into their network. It's a miracle Arasaka didn't kill her before the Voodoo Boys found her and spike her.

I really liked that the ending of her storyline was just “she was actually just kinda dumb and got in over her head and now she is dead”

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It probably would've made more sense to just keep seeing the Arasaka heir and selling privileged information to the highest bigger without getting involved in it herself.

Also why did she even want to work at that one place?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

sean10mm posted:

But_why.gif

She's not as smart as she thinks she is. She thinks she's this cool planner with a handle on everything but she really, really isn't.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Everyone involved in that opening act is in over their heads like that, though going back to work at Clouds and not getting out of NC immediately was in hindsight an even bigger mistake

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Play posted:

I liked Nick Valentine

me too.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the game would have been better if it follows V as a dude trying to make it into the big time. the brain chip and johhny was cool but it shits all over the game. what if we wanted morgan to be our internet ghost or whatever.
this game is bad in everysingle way the more you think about it. doing a second playtrough and the whole thing crash into itself

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Polaron posted:

She's not as smart as she thinks she is. She thinks she's this cool planner with a handle on everything but she really, really isn't.

She tries to get V to go against her fixer and the whole afterlife system which shows a lot of naive in the world.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Game should have been V and Jackie bromance. Worse thing in the game is keanu reaves.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Everyone in the Heist is putting on an image trying to convince other people they know wtf they’re doing. Even if they know they’re still ultimately naive in trusting other people that are also just phonies. Meanwhile, Rogue’s crew of professionals don’t gently caress around and have tons of intel for basically every engagement they do, and if something goes wrong the fixer wins still.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like people mainly think that just because the first part of the game was so much more polished than the rest. But you know that's not Keanu's fault, right

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Axe-man posted:

She tries to get V to go against her fixer and the whole afterlife system which shows a lot of naive in the world.

T Bug's the only one in the heist that seems to have a handle on things and she still gets fried the moment a corporate netrunner shows up.

And it all still would've worked if Saburo Arasaka had been delayed fifteen minutes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Play posted:

I feel like people mainly think that just because the first part of the game was so much more polished than the rest. But you know that's not Keanu's fault, right

I was promised this with this prototype jackie!

Some kind of... uber jackie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Khanstant posted:

I'm not handing them anything for that. A) They still do plenty of unkillable NPCs and B) They don't acknowledge your actions in any way whatsoever. Seems fair to conclude they just fuckin' forgot to flag that NPC as immortal, I don't believe that was a conscious design choice.

That's not fair to conclude at all, it would mean they left this oversight in the game and didn't fix it over like a year of patching and updating. They can patch in a whole new difficulty mode with status effects and survival needs but they can't flip a guy's essential flag from No to Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pajser posted:

that literally Hearts Of Stone and you just described Vlodimir von Everec

Lmaoooo I can't believe I didn't see that