Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I mean I basically have to do that to engage my brain with anything, not that odd.

Anyway I’ve been rereading Deus Ex stuff and I love how one of the main tactics to break the game into pieces is just using two grenades to climb over high walls or throwing one at your own feet then jumping off it when it bounces you up, or my favorite killing yourself and looting yourself of everything you had on you :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

I love how some of the stuff in the Souls games sounds like ridiculous playground rumors. "If you walk out from this specific corner you'll be on an invisible walkway and can find a secret!" "One of the statues in this room is secretly a disguised NPC!!"

My favorite is to get a rune in Bloodborne, you have to dump a giant brain down a pit, find the pit where it fell which is a small area of complete darkness like the Abyss, then face the brain and hold a (optional?) gesture pose for almost a full minute while the brain writhes and blinks at you.

Mondays, am I right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kitfox88 posted:

I mean I basically have to do that to engage my brain with anything, not that odd.

*furiously posing in the mirror while brain (in my own head) blinks groggily at myself*

Me: Wake the gently caress up you wet sack of crap I need to do work

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phy posted:

I have played zero Odyssey this week and I need to rectify that

Do you have to take the Tame Animal skill in order to be able to pet dogs and cats?

I think you do. Though if you idle, Ikaros will come down to perch and get some love. :3:

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Kitfox88 posted:

Anyway I’ve been rereading Deus Ex stuff and I love how one of the main tactics to break the game into pieces is just using two grenades to climb over high walls or throwing one at your own feet then jumping off it when it bounces you up, or my favorite killing yourself and looting yourself of everything you had on you :allears:

Congratulations, you have reinvented the rocket jump.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

I think you do. Though if you idle, Ikaros will come down to perch and get some love. :3:

Oh yeah every time I'm standing around at the blacksmith, it's Ikaros time

Good bird

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Azathoth Prime posted:

Congratulations, you have reinvented the rocket jump.

No no, you aren’t riding the explosion force, you’re throwing the grenade and then jumping off the grenade. Closest analog would be rocket surfing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could also stick the grenades to the wall and stand on them and then reposition them higher to use them as ladders

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

I love how some of the stuff in the Souls games sounds like ridiculous playground rumors. "If you walk out from this specific corner you'll be on an invisible walkway and can find a secret!" "One of the statues in this room is secretly a disguised NPC!!"

That is the old-school part of the games I do like, that there are these weird secrets and things to find that the game doesn't necessarily point you towards.

I'm just bad at the combat.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Re: Deus Ex, everyone should read http://www.it-he.org/deus.php

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A lot of the secrets vacillate between basic dungeon crawler secret design and infuriatingly bad side quest design that breaks if you trip over the wrong twig, but DS2's Pickaxe is :discourse: when it comes to completely ridiculous and obscure bullshit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

My favorite is to get a rune in Bloodborne, you have to dump a giant brain down a pit, find the pit where it fell which is a small area of complete darkness like the Abyss, then face the brain and hold a (optional?) gesture pose for almost a full minute while the brain writhes and blinks at you.

Wait until you see how to access the DLC content in Dark Souls 1, or how to get to Ash Lake

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I remember a similar feeling with some of the older harvest moon games like Friends of Mineral Town. For whatever reasons when Western developers heard those playground rumors they responded by putting hints and tutorials everywhere so as many customers could get the most from the game as possible while Japanese developers responded by just going "gently caress yes. you want the good watering can, talk to the merchant backwards on a rainy February. hints are for cowards."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure a lot of that was to sell strategy guides.

Ironically, most of the REALLY obtuse stuff, like the Sonic and Knuckles carnival night barrel, was totally unintentional.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I remember a similar feeling with some of the older harvest moon games like Friends of Mineral Town. For whatever reasons when Western developers heard those playground rumors they responded by putting hints and tutorials everywhere so as many customers could get the most from the game as possible while Japanese developers responded by just going "gently caress yes. you want the good watering can, talk to the merchant backwards on a rainy February. hints are for cowards."

The exception to that was Mortal Kombat, who recognized the best possible place to plant those seeds was the arcade. Just throw some bonkers wild poo poo in there; some kid will find it by chance, and it'll blow the minds of everyone watching as everyone else takes turns trying to make the guy say 'Toasty!' a second time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Wait until you see how to access the DLC content in Dark Souls 1, or how to get to Ash Lake

or how to get the pickaxe in dark souls 2

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok but how do I handcuff people as Guile?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Ok but how do I handcuff people as Guile?

Apparently it's hold light punch, charge B, F, B, F, release light punch

In Street Fighter: The Movie: The Arcade Game, not the Saturn version because that's a different game that's more like actual Street Fighter II

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

or how to get the pickaxe in dark souls 2
That and the tree in dlc 1 which you hit with a whip and it repairs your equipment. What a strange game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the giant ant in dark souls 2 that heals you but breaks your equipment if you stand next to it and huff its fart gas. There is only one of this giant ant in the entire video game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

I like the giant ant in dark souls 2 that heals you but breaks your equipment if you stand next to it and huff its fart gas. There is only one of this giant ant in the entire video game

:goofy:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i dont remember that at all wth

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a good overview somewhere of all those weird one-off mechanics and hidden items across the souls games? i'd love to read through all of them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Huh that's a real thing

https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Giant+Ant+Queen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Demon's/Dark Souls is apparently chock full of references to the publisher's old games, King's Field in particular.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dark Souls is canonically a sequel to Commander Keen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the Furtive Pygmy is B J Blastowicz's cousin

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

Is there a good overview somewhere of all those weird one-off mechanics and hidden items across the souls games? i'd love to read through all of them

Not an overview, but Illusory Wall is a fantastic channel that does deep dives into obscurities in the Souls games. I highly recommend the video explaining Vagrants because they're a perfect example of this kind of thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That and the tree in dlc 1 which you hit with a whip and it repairs your equipment. What a strange game

Wait WHAT

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vandar posted:

Wait WHAT

Inexplicable

https://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls-2/Magical_Repair_Tree

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

John Murdoch posted:

Not an overview, but Illusory Wall is a fantastic channel that does deep dives into obscurities in the Souls games. I highly recommend the video explaining Vagrants because they're a perfect example of this kind of thing.

that's definitely been on my 'watch eventually' list for ages, but I didn't see if they had a channel video specifically on miscellaneous oddities like that (or even just stuff like the pickaxe which isn't really an 'oddity' and more of a 'something very few people would do unintentionally')

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What the actual living gently caress

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Demon's/Dark Souls is apparently chock full of references to the publisher's old games, King's Field in particular.

Yeah, probably the most obvious one is the Moonlight Sword which already appeared in the OG King's Field and which was From's first video game. It was a mainstay in the KF series since as well.

The white dragon Seath is the final boss of KF2 (or 3 by western numbers).

Also the black dragon Kalameet from the Dark Souls 1 DLC is not as direct but still fairly obvious reference to Seath's counterpart, the black dragon Gyura/Gyora who was the final boss of KF1 (2 by western numbers) and also reappeared as the final boss of King's Field Additional I, the PSP dungeon crawler.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

The moonlight sword is also a mainstay in their Armored Core series. I always get a kick out of things like that, a sort of shared yet totally separate history of items or places or people across series.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think the Moonlight Sword is even in Metal Wolf Chaos (the game where the President fights a coup d'etat in a robot who uses revolvers)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

JPrime posted:

Re: Deus Ex, everyone should read http://www.it-he.org/deus.php

A real relic of classic stupid poo poo, love the ultimate and system shock stuff

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Through The Decade posted:

The moonlight sword is also a mainstay in their Armored Core series. I always get a kick out of things like that, a sort of shared yet totally separate history of items or places or people across series.

Oh, well that explains that! I always wondered why "Moonlight".

I played a shitload of AC1, if by "shitload" you mean loading up my buddy's save who actually bothered to beat the game and just played around with the garage making cool robots until two in the morning on my wee little 13" CRT with the volume cranked down so my folks couldn't hear

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Something I noticed in the Outriders free demo after playing around in character creation and the tutorial: the female PC is exactly the same height as the male PC. And there are no high heels. Anywhere.

Mind. Blown.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I gave Destruction All-Stars a quick test because hey, PS5-developed game free on PS+. The idea seems kinda fun, basically a cartoonish demolition derby except that you can also run around on foot and try to steal other peoples' cars and stuff.
But what stands out is that it's one of the few games so far to make full use of the controller feedback. Stuff like feeling precise left/right taps as you're running is neat and all, but it makes really good use of adding tension to the trigger buttons so you feel like you're doing something much more tactile when accelerating/braking/etc. I wasn't even aware the controllers could do that before the console came out, and I hope developers use it more as we get further along in next-gen development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Although the first time I met the hard resistance on the R2 trigger to turn the ignition I thought my controller was busted.