Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah there was a hack in FFBE a few months back where the hackers leaked some of the info and EA is straight up making hundreds of millions of dollars from that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bombadilillo posted:

I was the first in a trilogy or 2 game set. It doesn't really have a full story. The entire game feels like act 1.

Then it didn't set the world on fire so a sequel is doubtful.

So it's a decent enough length?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mankind Divided's story is hilariously low key compared to the crazy stuff in previous games, it feels like it's just getting started by the time it ends. It doesn't help those rumors that the game was split into 3 parts when the story recap segments during the loading screens extend to roughly 1/3rd the length of the screen by the end of the game either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

The problem is it never moves beyond the initial question of "Who bombed your rear end in the train station?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you played mankind divided on pc (and I doubt many of you did considering this is the ps4 thread), that was a technical disaster. at least at launch

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah. Length is fine. It's just a narrative "that's it"? Wet fart at the end.

Game is fun. Stealth is very fun. It's a game you can ghost that doesn't feel cheesie or like you have to quick load all the time. Which is impressive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every time I see AC:O I think people are talking about Ace Combat Zero.

I could go for gyro controls in Ace Combat, now that I think about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgyqYq80PW0&t=9s

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I loved Human Revolution but wasn’t quite as pulled into Mankind Divided. My biggest problem with it was that it felt like more of the same but it came out past the point where that was acceptable. It barely iterated on HR’s gameplay at all. It’s like something you’d expect of a sequel that got pushed out within two years, not something that should have taken five.

Rinkles posted:

It’s more the story that feels incomplete. The game itself lasts as long as I felt it needed to if you’re doing all of the side quests, which you definitely should because it has some of the best side quests I’ve ever seen in a game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

A weird thing happened in it where for some reason I thought of the world as a tutorial area. And kept waiting to get out of the tutorial area. But nope that was it.

Like a reverse horizon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah. Length is fine. It's just a narrative "that's it"? Wet fart at the end.

Game is fun. Stealth is very fun. It's a game you can ghost that doesn't feel cheesie or like you have to quick load all the time. Which is impressive.

The only part of DXHR I really liked was the Detroit hub (including the Sarif office). In part because of how incidental combat was. It was one of your occasionally useful tools, rather than the primary focus. Which was not true of the missions themselves.

I've heard Prague in MD expands on what they did w/ Detroit, but don't know about the rest of the game.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 7, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The only part of DXHR I really liked was the Detroit hub (including the Sarif office). In part because of how incidental combat was. It was one of your occasionally useful tools, rather than the primary focus. Which was not true of the missions themselves.

I've heard Prague in MD expands on what they did w/ Detroit, but don't know about the rest of the game.

You will like it. Play it. Know it's not going to have a satisfying ending to it's story. It's actually a great ps+ game.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 7, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

You will like it. Play it. Know it's not going to have a straistfying ending to it's story. It's actually a great ps+ game.

Oh yeah for sure I will.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rabidsquid posted:

i genuinely wonder how much cutting the game up hurt sales. you have to assume its at least some, but i remember the game was a technical disaster when it launched too, plus the fiasco with one of the pre-order items being a one use consumable (lmao) and the multiplayer stuff. the various ways in which they managed to gently caress up that game are actually sort of impressive.

So far SquareEnix bought Eidos and deftly destroyed:

Deus Ex (Mankind Divided was meant to be one huge game but was split into three parts instead for more money and bi-annual releases)
Hitman (forgot to tell anyone it exists even though it was one of 2016's best games and doesn't even control it anymore)
Just Cause (LMAO)
Legacy of Kain (was cancelled when it was almost complete and its assets were used to make the Nosgoth MOBA)
Thief (can't even fit all the ways I hated this game into one parenthetical sentence)

Tomb Raider is the only one getting another game, and so far it seems like they have a different developer working on it so I'm sure that will be "great" too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of thief, I saw it was $3 for the holiday sale

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Manatee Cannon posted:

What a ripoff.

Literally the only good content in the game is the DLC mission that's a remake of the bank mission from Thief II.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there any downside to just killing everyone in these story missions in Watch Dogs 2? Trying to sneak through is just a long slog because Ubisoft's take on stealth is hot garbage and the stun gun is bad and the paint gun is worse. I find I'm just taking out an assault rifle and gunning down everyone and thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

In FFXIV you can use the touchpad as a mouse and click it for a left click like the 3rd party DS4 to PC programs

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I got thief from gamefly. I found a blunt arrow. The description said it knocks people out. I found a guard without a helmet and shot him in the head.

He was not knocked out and chased me. I returned the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

De:md is great for a long while but then you start to realize its all padding and nothing important ever happens. Its really shocking what a waste of 20 hrs it is when you see the credits roll.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Deus Ex (Mankind Divided was meant to be one huge game but was split into three parts instead for more money and bi-annual releases)
Hitman (forgot to tell anyone it exists even though it was one of 2016's best games and doesn't even control it anymore)
Just Cause (LMAO)
Legacy of Kain (was cancelled when it was almost complete and its assets were used to make the Nosgoth MOBA)
Thief (can't even fit all the ways I hated this game into one parenthetical sentence)

Tomb Raider is the only one getting another game, and so far it seems like they have a different developer working on it so I'm sure that will be "great" too.

The second tomb raider was a huge snoozefest for me with a bunch if dumb side mode dlc instead of a better main game so even that is questionable.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

The second tomb raider was a huge snoozefest for me with a bunch if dumb side mode dlc instead of a better main game so even that is questionable.

:same: I was really hype for it too. Didn't capture the feel of the first one. I'm scared to go back to the first one now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

:same: I was really hype for it too. Didn't capture the feel of the first one. I'm scared to go back to the first one now.

I did and its great. The encounters are long and tough. The sequel was still farting out 2 enemy corridors into the end game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

They should have made it $4. You know, for THI4F

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
What are some good split screen/local multiplayer games? I am brand new to the PS4, roommate and I split it with our fantasy football winnings.

Especially interested in anything allowing split screen online multiplayer, but anything 2-4 people can put some time into on one screen is what I’m looking for. We’ve gotten good mileage out of various sports titles, Star Wars battlefront 2 arcade stuff was fun while it lasted but disappointed the online stuff didn’t work in split screen.

Don’t necessarily need to be recent titles either, we have played nothing of this gen of consoles.

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 7, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Jimbot posted:

Is there any downside to just killing everyone in these story missions in Watch Dogs 2? Trying to sneak through is just a long slog because Ubisoft's take on stealth is hot garbage and the stun gun is bad and the paint gun is worse. I find I'm just taking out an assault rifle and gunning down everyone and thing.

No, while it "feels" wrong for your cool kid hacker group to mow down security guards with assault rifles there's no actual penalty for it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Squinky v2.0 posted:

What are some good split screen/local multiplayer games? I am brand new to the PS4, roommate and I split it with our fantasy football winnings.

Especially interested in anything allowing split screen online multiplayer, but anything 2-4 people can put some time into on one screen is what I’m looking for. We’ve gotten good mileage out of various sports titles, Star Wars battlefront 2 arcade stuff was fun while it lasted but disappointed the online stuff didn’t work in split screen.

Don’t necessarily need to be recent titles either, we have played nothing of this gen of consoles.

Diablo 3 Reaper of souls edition
Helldivers super earth ultimate edition
Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition (2p local co-op only)

These are complete editions, hence the long names.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 7, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The real stealth in Watch Dogs 2 is never entering any mission area unless you physically have to be there as an objective. Also the distract power is more effective than any stun weapon

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Overcooked and The Binding of Isaac.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Just Cause (LMAO)

I wouldn't call Hitman a failure.

The devs managed to break away and retain ownership of the franchise, so now they're free and clear to keep making Hitman games without SE loving them over :v:.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I beat Yakuza 0 and it loving owns, thanks again thread for the recommendation. Like seriously in the top 5 of 2017 for me

That said, please help I can't stop playing Cabaret Czar

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of cabaret, does your local fanbase affect rival battles at all

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

That reappears in Kiwami 2 and yeah, it has a "just one more time" feel that's perfect. There's also Clan Creator which is a tower defense RTS thing that was in 6 as well that can't hold my interest. It has the Majima construction company song though which is good.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 7, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I beat Yakuza 0 and it loving owns, thanks again thread for the recommendation. Like seriously in the top 5 of 2017 for me

Get 1 when it's on sale. It's not as great as 0. But the story is a crazy ride.

And majima. Majima. Majima

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Bombadilillo posted:

KIIIIIIIRYU-CHAN

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Overcooked and The Binding of Isaac.

Binding of Isaac has multiplayer?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hopper posted:

Yeah, the couch coop is super fun.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hopper posted:

yeah, there's this co-op thing where the first player sacrifices a heart container and player 2 gets to control some floating baby

there's even a bunch of unlocks for different floating babies with different kinds of shots

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yesterday I replaced my my hybrid SSD/HD that I had been using in my PS4 for about two years with a pure (but much smaller) SSD. I had long suspected that my PS4 having hitches at certain times in the interface and in just a few games was due to the SSHD and it seems it is indeed the case. Maybe I'll never know if it was just THAT drive (a Western Digital) or all SSHDs but anyway that's in the past now. That was the last even partially physical hard drive I had left in any of my devices.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Yakuza 0 is so loving good.

Of course, I enjoyed Dead Souls so I'm probably not the best judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Bombadilillo posted:

Get 1 when it's on sale. It's not as great as 0. But the story is a crazy ride.

Oh poo poo does it have more Majima? I really love that man.