Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Picking up my Wrangler sometime this week

Questions as I have never OWNED a Wrangler:

Isn't there a bar I need to keep the rear of the soft top up? Also, apparently the previous owners added plates to keep the front windshield up, is there a way to add locks to keep it up or should it simple lock in place?

Can someone with an early model Wrangler also take a picture so I can see where the steering stabilizer goes? It has been removed by the PO and it makes the steering jumpy and wiggly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

beep beep I own a Jeep now

what tires should I slap on this thing

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TheManWithNoName posted:

Awesome! Give it a 2" budget lift and put on 30" tires if you don't want any problems, or 31" if you can live with rubbing control arms when you turn to full steering lock.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I still stand by treadwright.com. I've had them aired down to around 12 and they have held up very well. My next set will be from them as well.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

TheManWithNoName posted:

BFG AT/KO's if you are mostly driving it on the street with the occasional off road use. IF you plan to do a bit more off road driving but want something that doesn't drive you crazy on the street you can get the BFG AT/KM2 which is a nice "MT" tire based on the BFG Crawlers.

They wear good, and will last a while. Costco should be one of the cheapest places to get them installed, but they aren't the cheapest tires.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I'm on the same page as him with BFG ATs. They ride great on road and off and never seem to wear out.

And Treadwright, while I do like their retread tires and have had two sets, the current set I have came with one tire out of round that I've never been able to balance out. I never followed up on warranty for it, so I don't know how well they'll honor it.

Their tread availability sort of sucks depending on what size tire you want. They have some treads for only some sizes.

I'd like to try out their BFG AT clone retread on my beater Explorer.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Thirding the BFG ATs and seconding Costco. The other nice thing about Costco is that you can take it back any time and have them look at them for free. About a month after i had mine put on, i noticed one tire was a little low, so I took it in, and went shopping, cracked valve stem replaced for free.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Pictures of new ugly

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Picked it up for a cool $1k, needs some work but I think it was well worth it.

Need to buy a set of road tires, and I am dropping a OM617 Mercedes TurboDiesel in it

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2010

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CommieGIR posted:

Pictures of new ugly

Picked it up for a cool $1k, needs some work but I think it was well worth it.

Need to buy a set of road tires, and I am dropping a OM617 Mercedes TurboDiesel in it

You're awesome. Keep us updated on this project.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're awesome. Keep us updated on this project.

It needs better geared axles too, for the 35s installed on it right now you can feel it struggling to get them rolling.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

CommieGIR posted:

It needs better geared axles too, for the 35s installed on it right now you can feel it struggling to get them rolling.

My neighbor is selling a set of five 35" mud terrains with 75% tread for $175. I need to put on my 2" shackles and spacers before I can put them on. I also need to get an SYE, does anyone have a hookup or know where to get a good deal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bojanglesworth posted:

My neighbor is selling a set of five 35" mud terrains with 75% tread for $175. I need to put on my 2" shackles and spacers before I can put them on. I also need to get an SYE, does anyone have a hookup or know where to get a good deal?

For what vehicles? XJ, YJ, ZJ, TJ?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

For what vehicles? XJ, YJ, ZJ, TJ?

Ah, good call. XJ. 231 transfer case.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I bought this the other day for $1200. It's a 1997 Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L Auto with part-time 4WD. It has ABS brakes, fog lamps (at least one if broken), and overhead computer. 241k miles.

Click here for the full 2009x1327 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

The 4WD works and so does the heat. The interior is really clean. The exterior is in really good shape except for stripping clear coat on the hood.

It has some issues:
ABS pump makes a noise when slowing to a stop (no ABS light though)
brakes feel kind of squishy, at least compared to our 1999 Cherokee with freshly sorted front and rear brakes
horrible ratting sound due to broken catalyst matrix in catalyst and possibly the muffler
noise from rear differential needs attention
steering is sloppy
driver's power window doesn't work, motor makes noise but window doesn't go up or down. You can push the glass itself up and down a little bit
driver's door power lock actuator doesn't work
at least one fog lamp broken; the other one doesn't come on
glove box door/latch is broken; the glove box is held shut with a cobble job combination of some nylon rope and a pencil
temperature display in overhead computer incorrect... I have a 95 Eagle Vision that has the same issue
AC does not work

Hopefully I can get the brake problems, exhaust, window & lock issues, and the diff noise fixed before the first snow comes through.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

I bought this the other day for $1200. It's a 1997 Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L Auto with part-time 4WD. It has ABS brakes, fog lamps (at least one if broken), and overhead computer. 241k miles.

Click here for the full 2009x1327 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

The 4WD works and so does the heat. The interior is really clean. The exterior is in really good shape except for stripping clear coat on the hood.

It has some issues:
ABS pump makes a noise when slowing to a stop (no ABS light though)
brakes feel kind of squishy, at least compared to our 1999 Cherokee with freshly sorted front and rear brakes
horrible ratting sound due to broken catalyst matrix in catalyst and possibly the muffler
noise from rear differential needs attention
steering is sloppy
driver's power window doesn't work, motor makes noise but window doesn't go up or down. You can push the glass itself up and down a little bit
driver's door power lock actuator doesn't work
at least one fog lamp broken; the other one doesn't come on
glove box door/latch is broken; the glove box is held shut with a cobble job combination of some nylon rope and a pencil
temperature display in overhead computer incorrect... I have a 95 Eagle Vision that has the same issue
AC does not work

Hopefully I can get the brake problems, exhaust, window & lock issues, and the diff noise fixed before the first snow comes through.

It looks really good from the outside. Almost brand new.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Ok this is my little project XJ. I have dropped a new (ish) motor into it and generally cleaned it up a bit so far.

My plan is to drop some cash into it setting it up as a DD/trail rig.

I think a 4.5" lift of some kind would be about right and then a whole bunch of armor. I am taking it to Moab for a little trail fun this spring.

Any recommendations on lift kits? I would love a log arm lift but they are awfully pricey considering what I have in the project so far. (1500ish)

So I would ultimately like to run 31 inch tires and have a bunch of flex.

Winch bumper advice would also be greatly appreciated. I've been looking at the Logans products.

Thanks guys

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Urgh, WJ issues here. I've got a 2002 Grand Cherokee with a check engine light. The code indicates a failure of the leak detection pump, a component of the evaporative emissions control system. I'm currently about 1000 miles away from the car. The local dealer wants my mother to shove $800 in their pockets to fix it. My dad is fairly trainable and I can probably instruct him on how to repair it, but I'm looking for some pictures of the location and instructions on the internet and not finding much. Any help?

Vehicle details:
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.7 HO v8, automatic transmission.
92,000 miles.
It's green, I think.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

trouser chili posted:

Urgh, WJ issues here. I've got a 2002 Grand Cherokee with a check engine light. The code indicates a failure of the leak detection pump, a component of the evaporative emissions control system. I'm currently about 1000 miles away from the car. The local dealer wants my mother to shove $800 in their pockets to fix it. My dad is fairly trainable and I can probably instruct him on how to repair it, but I'm looking for some pictures of the location and instructions on the internet and not finding much. Any help?

Vehicle details:
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.7 HO v8, automatic transmission.
92,000 miles.
It's green, I think.

If you need a quick answer I would look at a site like alldatadiy.com that has Haynes/Chilton style info for lots of cars. I had a year of access and found the info was pretty good--not as detailed as the factory service manual but good enough for most jobs.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
The latest JP Magazine has a little blurb about what's new for the '11 JK. It shows the Sahara package that now offers body colour-matched hardtops to go with the long-standing colour-matched fender flares.

The article shows a 3/4 rear-view pic of the new orange colour on a 2-door that I SWEAR looks like a Dodge Nitro or something :barf:

The redesigned interior doesn't look too bad though.

Too bad the JK is still out of my price range :sigh:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Kind of a dumb question, but what size gas tank is on the 2001 Cherokee? A friend says 20 but I could only fill up 15.8 gallons when the line was on E. Getting conflicting answers online too.

I was figuring out my mileage and got 235 miles on 15.8 gallons. Not too bad I guess, all city driving.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Here's an interesting Jeep.

Grand Cherokee with a strange prerunner styled front end. The fenders said Rubigrand. Tried to get a picture of the front end, but the MB 240d wasn't able to keep up with it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but what size gas tank is on the 2001 Cherokee? A friend says 20 but I could only fill up 15.8 gallons when the line was on E.

Should be a hair over 20 if it's the same as other XJs. Jeep tends to run pretty conservative on the fuel gauge.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

TheManWithNoName posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but what size gas tank is on the 2001 Cherokee? A friend says 20 but I could only fill up 15.8 gallons when the line was on E. Getting conflicting answers online too.

I was figuring out my mileage and got 235 miles on 15.8 gallons. Not too bad I guess, all city driving.

My 2000 XJ had a 18 gallon tank.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm almost positive that all 97+ Cherokees have the 20 gallon tank.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

2005 TJ and with the the needle on E and the low fuel light on, it takes ~15 1/2 gallons to fill the 20 gallon tank. I don't think Jeep has ever made an accurate gas gauge.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Goddamn, I guess it's kind of nice to know that I have a few gallons left in reserve, but I don't know that I could ever risk driving past the needle to find out.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Goddamn, I guess it's kind of nice to know that I have a few gallons left in reserve, but I don't know that I could ever risk driving past the needle to find out.

wait till ya dent the tank going offroad, then all factory fill numbers are out the window.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My XJ's gas needle goes full... still full.... HALF TANK!.... empty. And at empty it has about 6 gallons left.

It's quite the interesting vehicle.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Faerunner posted:

My XJ's gas needle goes full... still full.... HALF TANK!.... empty. And at empty it has about 6 gallons left.

It's quite the interesting vehicle.

mine did the same thing.

Somewhere I'm pretty sure I saw it listed as an 18 gallon tank. It could have been 20, but I never put more than like 15-16 in it with the gauge at the bottom.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Here's an interesting Jeep.

Grand Cherokee with a strange prerunner styled front end. The fenders said Rubigrand. Tried to get a picture of the front end, but the MB 240d wasn't able to keep up with it.

That would be pretty nice if it wasnt for that stupid front. I have never been a fan of altering a vehicle like that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Today my Grand Cherokee got down to 0 miles till empty, so I paid attention when I filled it up. 17.8 gallons went in, meaning at 0 miles I still have around 2 gallons left. I'll just pretend it's an automatically switching reserve tank. :shepface:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Today my Grand Cherokee got down to 0 miles till empty, so I paid attention when I filled it up. 17.8 gallons went in, meaning at 0 miles I still have around 2 gallons left. I'll just pretend it's an automatically switching reserve tank. :shepface:

I would not suggest relying on that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Faerunner posted:

I would not suggest relying on that.

Yeah, I wasn't serious, thus the (not very) funny smiley.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

If you're not using your trip odometer to judge when to fill up next, you're not doing it right.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a pump type device that I can use to fill diffs and transfer cases ? I'm about to do them on the JK soon. It's nice that the diffs have drain plugs, but when I did my fathers, the bottle and tube method kinda sucked for gear oil.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

jonathan posted:

Is there a pump type device that I can use to fill diffs and transfer cases ? I'm about to do them on the JK soon. It's nice that the diffs have drain plugs, but when I did my fathers, the bottle and tube method kinda sucked for gear oil.

I used a clean grease gun once and it sucked--way too much effort to get a little fluid out. I'm hoping something like this will do the trick next time I change fluids.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sharp_angus posted:

If you're not using your trip odometer to judge when to fill up next, you're not doing it right.

My cherokee gauge is 2/3 in the tank at F and 1/3 at half. People always wonder why I stop to get gas at half a tank.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

jonathan posted:

This or this

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Atticus_1354 posted:

My cherokee gauge is 2/3 in the tank at F and 1/3 at half. People always wonder why I stop to get gas at half a tank.

Those people are also retards because waiting until the gas light is on can be horrible for the fuel pump. Not only might it overheat but it can suck in any sediment in the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah, I haven't confirmed mine by running it totally out, but I'm pretty sure 1/4 remaining is running on fumes, so I do the same and fill up at 1/2. :hfive: