Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ceros_X posted:

Coolermaster and Xigmatek both have relatively cheap ($25ish) 4in3 units. You need a screwdriver with a magnetic head to install drives in the Xigmatek one, (I own one) but that shouldn't be too much of a problem in the long term.

You can always just stroke the end of a screwdriver over a magnet to magnetize it.

e: quoted for the new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VerySolidSnake posted:

Crashplan seems way to good to be true. Would I seriously be able to store an "unlimited" amount (10TB+) for $3 / month?

It's taken me a good while to get a lot of it uploaded but I'm at about 3TB total stored on there so far.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

VerySolidSnake posted:

Crashplan seems way to good to be true. Would I seriously be able to store an "unlimited" amount (10TB+) for $3 / month?

Crashplan's business plan relies on people wanting to pay for drives to perform an initial backup or retrieve their data. They charge $125 each way. As long as you don't have a data cap on your internet connection it really is THAT good.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Any recommendations for a single-bay USB enclosure? Going to throw an old 1.5TB drive into it and hook it up at my parents' place to the WRT610Nv2 I've set up (and use its NAS functionality) to add some cheap storage for their set-top media player.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

movax posted:

Any recommendations for a single-bay USB enclosure? Going to throw an old 1.5TB drive into it and hook it up at my parents' place to the WRT610Nv2 I've set up (and use its NAS functionality) to add some cheap storage for their set-top media player.

Sure, this one is cheap, and has a nice big fan.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

what is this posted:

Sure, this one is cheap, and has a nice big fan.

gently caress, that thing is huge. Should do the trick nicely I think. Now time to see if there are any horrible bugs with DD-WRT and offering up USB drives as shares.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MachinTrucChose posted:

Assuming I am hit by the RAID5 write hole, I understand there will be data loss, but what is the extent of this data loss? Just the file that was being written/pending writes, or all my data? Google has no answer, everyone seems to just parrot "data loss!" over and over.

If it's the former, then I can stop giving a poo poo about the write hole. I'm storing every file myself by copying it with Windows Explorer to the NAS over Samba. If I lose power or the write fails for some reason, I'll know from a Windows Explorer dialog, and can just repeat the file copy operation when the situation is fixed.

Just the data that's being written, but you can't really trust Explorer. If there's enough memory for caching, you may still be hosed on file transfers. SMB doesn't guarantee atomic writes (or writes at all -- it trusts the fileserver), so Windows may think it's complete if, say, you finish transferring within a second of the server going down, but you have uncommitted writes.

Get a RAID controller with a battery-backed cache and forget about it.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

movax posted:

gently caress, that thing is huge. Should do the trick nicely I think. Now time to see if there are any horrible bugs with DD-WRT and offering up USB drives as shares.

Unless you like killing your drives, huge with good airflow is the way to go. It also has an easily replaceable external power supply. This is good because the power supply is the most likely component to fail, and the heat (and swings in temp) from the power supply is bad for the drive. Keeping it external is better.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

what is this posted:

Unless you like killing your drives, huge with good airflow is the way to go. It also has an easily replaceable external power supply. This is good because the power supply is the most likely component to fail, and the heat (and swings in temp) from the power supply is bad for the drive. Keeping it external is better.

Yeah, definitely. The passive ones are all nice and pretty but the drive would cook itself in there. I ordered two of them already, should be here for the weekend hopefully.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
ok i give up, after reading this thread until my eyes were stone dry i just need advice in plain simple english. It is really doing my head in.

Current setup
I have an old e4300 box with windows 7 pro 64bit 1gb ram. The OS hdd is 80gb, and also have 1tb, 400gb, 250gb. I also have a usb 1gb mybook, a 500gb external usb hdd. I want a centralised server because my files are spread over all hdd's with no structure.

Aim:
I want to convert this as a server and also use my external hdd's to maximise redudancy. I would also like to have automatic sync/backup to the external hdd's for offsite storage.

Requirements

- I want the server to act as a backup tool for my laptop's important files (music, photos, documents). I also want it for storing unimportant media that can be streamed easily to my laptop.

- Redundancy is key, only for important folders from my laptop. I want the server to automatically mirror changes made from my laptop (renaming, editing, deleting/adding files).

- The server should have the flexibility to synchronize important folders across some or all the server's hard-drives. How would i deal with the issue of a folder's size increasing bigger than a clone hdd's capacity? I also need to deal with a impending issue of my laptop photos folder outgrowing my laptop sdd capacity. What will i do? If i delete files from my laptop's sdd those changes will reflect on the server. How do i overcome these issue?

- I want to address the issue of having separate media folders because they will not fit in one hard drive. So i want the server to organise these separate folder destinations into virtual holistic categories. So tv, movies, videos would fit under a virtual hdd called "MEDIA"

- I want the ability to restore my Work PC which has Quickbooks, incase of OS failure. So quickbooks data will be backedup and the software/settings/licence/updates is restored to how it was before corruption.

It seem whs2011 would have been the best solution if it wasn't for the lacking drive extender. I will only work with windows and do not want to buy new equipment since i already have a plethora of hard drives and PC equipment to recycle. How do i get organised?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So it looks like our 32 bit Backup Exec 2010 setup won't backup Exchange 2010 on x64, so time to replace our aging Dell backup server with something new.

The problem is, the Dell offerings i'm looking at are only SATAII, and their hard drive prices are RIDICULOUS. I figure if I'm going for brand new I might as well go for the newest.

Should I be looking elsewhere like HP or IBM?

Basically I'm looking for something that's a tower formfactor, will hold 6-8 drives and has SATA3 and decent hard drive prices. I don't need tape because we do d2d2d and the third "d" is offsite in our DR facility. Drive trays/easy hard drive access would be nice, no hot swap needed.

I'll go through Dell if I have to, but I'm just not well versed on what else is out there.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Post in the enterprise SAN thread. This thread is mostly for consumer/soho solutions.

That said, if you need something very small, and have a nice 802.3ad/LACP gigabit switch, you could have a windows server + synology device over iSCSI. This will be as fast as anything local if you aggregate your gigabit ports, because the backup is going over the network anyways.

If you want a tower form factor, you could get a DS3611xs or DS2411+. They will be very cheap compared to anything Dell offers, and you can fill them with any drives you like. They all hot swap, though of course that will trigger a rebuild/etc. And it's not enterprise grade hardware. But you can use it for SMB/CIFS, NFS, and iSCSI.

If you buy a NAS like that, and a bunch of 2TB drives, you'll get a ton of storage for what is, in the enterprise market, pennies. Then all you need is a windows server to be the iSCSI initiator and run your backup software. This could be a cheap tower with an expensive network card running Windows Server 2008R2. You'll pay almost nothing for this whole setup, and it will work.

However, there will be no 24/7 support contract, so you'll be on your own if you need to fix something. They have a warranty, and so on, but nothing like Dell's enterprise support.

what is this fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 7, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Could the thread be re-titled as the Consumer NAS/Storage Megathread?

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Packrats implies consumer... but that might make good sense.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
drat, sorry about the mispost, thanks for the info!

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

what is this posted:

My recommendation is to just buy a Synology storage unit and bind it to active directory.

I would get a 710+ or 1511+

For small office stuff the 1010+ is a great unit (last years model) I use it through iSCSI as a backup destination for backup exec on (Mounted as a drive on windows) server, and run a low usage ESX VM off it. I also have all the standard installers stored on in.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Anyone know if when NAS boxes quote "Wake on Lan" they actually mean "wake from off" or they're actually just hibernating at 10W power consumption or similar? I like the idea of scheduled on/off times like the Synology boxes have or some kind of remote shutdown command, but I'd be keener on being able to power up without having to physically reach over and push a button.

Note: This is primarily because every so often I get paranoid about theft/fire and harbour a dream of hding the NAS in a cupboard and connecting through wireless so it's out of sight, however in a cupboard = not going to be able to turn on/off easily.

Edit: Though actually now that I think about it my PC case is an Antec p182 that weighs a loving tonne so there's not much chance of anyone stealing that either

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Anyone know if when NAS boxes quote "Wake on Lan" they actually mean "wake from off" or they're actually just hibernating at 10W power consumption or similar?

Proliant Microserver definitely can't WOL when off.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Anyone know if when NAS boxes quote "Wake on Lan" they actually mean "wake from off" or they're actually just hibernating at 10W power consumption or similar? I like the idea of scheduled on/off times like the Synology boxes have or some kind of remote shutdown command, but I'd be keener on being able to power up without having to physically reach over and push a button.

Note: This is primarily because every so often I get paranoid about theft/fire and harbour a dream of hding the NAS in a cupboard and connecting through wireless so it's out of sight, however in a cupboard = not going to be able to turn on/off easily.

Edit: Though actually now that I think about it my PC case is an Antec p182 that weighs a loving tonne so there's not much chance of anyone stealing that either

Hibernation should only eat up as much power as a powered down unit. Unplugging a hibernating device and plugging it in elsewhere should allow you to power up to the pre hibernation state.

To "Wake on Lan" you obviously need to have the ethernet card powered and analyzing packets so if it's enabled it might consume more power ceteris paribus. If you want wireless wake on lan then it'll probably suck down even more power.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've been starting to get a little tempted to upgrade my Intel SS4200 NAS to one of the HP Microservers especially now that they've refreshed the line with a faster CPU.

One of the main drawbacks I'm having at the moment is being limited to 2GB of RAM, going to 8GB on the HP would be nice. One of the drawbacks I could see with the HP is the slower processor, I upgraded to an Intel E2220 that runs at 2.4ghz but I'm not really sure if its needed.

The NAS, besides its normal CIFS file sharing, would be doing torrents/sickbeard/newsgroup stuff. I'm not sure I'd go the full route of installing ESXi and going the VM route, but it's an interested idea for the home.

For those of you running last years Microserver, do you ever feel like the little guy needs a faster CPU? Is it possible to upgrade to something a little faster? I'm not really up to speed on this AMD processor...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've not had any issues with performance on mine. I've not done a lot with it but it's been working great for my personal NAS. It's also been pretty snappy when playing around in solaris. I don't know for certain (haven't tried it) but I don't see any reason it couldn't handle torrents and such.

One thing to note is that while it will run ESXi just fine and you can fill it up with VMs no problem you can't (at least as far as I can tell - if someone has figured out how please let me know) pass the drives directly to the VMs. So depending on your NAS software it may or may not be able to do a software RAID of your drives IF the NAS software is in a VM.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 8, 2011

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

jeeves posted:

Proliant Microserver definitely can't WOL when off.

Bummer - I thought I read somewhere it was possible. I guess you tried it yourself?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

heeen posted:

Bummer - I thought I read somewhere it was possible. I guess you tried it yourself?

On the other hand, mine uses a massive 36w when idle, and as long as you're careful about not overloading the 12v rail, I know people who have replaced the PSU in theirs with a PicoPSu lowering their idle usage to about 18w.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Galler posted:

One thing to note is that while it will run ESXi just fine and you can fill it up with VMs no problem you can't (at least as far as I can tell - if someone has figured out how please let me know) pass the drives directly to the VMs. So depending on your NAS software it may or may not be able to do a software RAID of your drives IF the NAS software is in a VM.

I've read that with the Microserver's SATA controller it is possible to do RDM in VMware, although probably not supported. This would be mapping the drives and not the controller directly into the VM. I don't have one of these microservers yet, but I'll check it out for sure when I find the budget. I'm fairly sure you'd still need to have a local storage disk in order to store the VM definitions and device mappings on, so at the minimum you'd need something like this:

Microserver with 4GB RAM
USB thumbdrive with ESXi installed onto it
One local disk imported into the VMware host as a local storage
Additional disks mapped into the FreeNAS or whatever VM with RDM

This guy has a pretty good guide to making the RDM portion happen. Edit: apparently when making the actual RDM, you should use vmkfstools -r instead of vmkfstools -z or you'll encounter issues with ZFS.

I've been curious about this configuration as well, since it really seems that ZFS is best used when it has direct control over the underlying storage.

BnT fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 8, 2011

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to give that a shot this weekend.

e: VVV going to try just making a VM of my current solaris 11 + napp it install. Or just reinstalling and importing the zpool. Luckily I don't have much data on my NAS yet so if it all goes wrong then no big deal.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 9, 2011

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Galler posted:

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to give that a shot this weekend.
Keep in mind KVM was just ported to the illumos kernel so you will soon have a very nice virtualization platform with native ZFS in openindiana, or you can start right away with smartos, though i do not believe that distro has cifs support.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
What do you guys use for file integrity checking?

Looking for an automatic way to checksum file integrity (md5 +shah) whenever i cut or copy one file to another drive or server. Teracopy seemed like a good tool but only uses CRC checking. I've been scouring around the web and surprised this checksum feature is not default with basic cut/copy functions.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adorai posted:

Keep in mind KVM was just ported to the illumos kernel so you will soon have a very nice virtualization platform with native ZFS in openindiana, or you can start right away with smartos, though i do not believe that distro has cifs support.

Where'd you hear that (no CIFS support). Wasn't that in the last OpenSolaris build, so it should be in the Illumos kernel as well?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
So it looks like HP is extending the £100 cashback for UK end users on the old microservers (presumably to clear out the inventory faster). Even with shipping to the United States and VAT considered this is substantially cheaper for US customers trying to save a few yankee bucks. Would there be any UK goons willing to order some of these servers for US goons? I'm getting this weird itch to order a couple - one for an HTPC and another for a(nother) plain ol' NAS.

BnT posted:

I've been curious about this configuration as well, since it really seems that ZFS is best used when it has direct control over the underlying storage.
The really weird thing about being forced to use virtual compatibility mode instead of physical compatibility mode is that you're supposed to use physical compatibility mode when you want the VM to be able to issue direct SCSI commands to the actual drive controller / HBA (host bus adapter) like if you were using Microsoft Clustering that depends upon being able to talk to the SAN directly. This is no different to me than what I would have intuitively recommended for ZFS use, so I'm suspicious of what physical compatibility mode actually means under VMware ESXi and if it's not "good enough" direct access for ZFS.

I doubt that the SATA controllers on the Microserver would be on VMware's HCL for ESX(i) so perhaps that may be related to why physical compatibility mode doesn't do what you'd think for FreeBSD VM based ZFS.

FISHMANPET posted:

Where'd you hear that (no CIFS support).
I think that was in reference to SmartOS, which is the OS that Joyent's developed for their cloud hosting platform. I don't see much reason why you'd want to use CIFS on a cloud infrastructure running what amounts to Solaris, but on the other hand SmartOS is supposed to be able to run Windows as a branded zone similar to Linux and BSD branded zones.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Where'd you hear that (no CIFS support). Wasn't that in the last OpenSolaris build, so it should be in the Illumos kernel as well?
I'm sure it's in the kernel, smartos just doesn't seem to include any of the supporting tools needed to configure it.

necrobobsledder posted:

so I'm suspicious of what physical compatibility mode actually means under VMware ESXi and if it's not "good enough" direct access for ZFS.
I learned first hand not to use physical compatibility RDMs for opensolaris under esxi. It was a sad day.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Has anybody ever put Playstation Media Server on a FreeNas Box? My DNS-323 bit the dust, been using a Ubuntu box with PMS on it and its been working great. There just doesn't seem to be a good way to fileshare to it with my macs/pcs. Or is there another way you get FreeNas to transcode media?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Rodney Chops posted:

Has anybody ever put Playstation Media Server on a FreeNas Box? My DNS-323 bit the dust, been using a Ubuntu box with PMS on it and its been working great. There just doesn't seem to be a good way to fileshare to it with my macs/pcs. Or is there another way you get FreeNas to transcode media?

You should look up Samba and how to create native SMB/CIFS shares before you take a step as drastic as changing the OS. FreeNAS uses Samba anyway, I think, just with a web frontend.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Rodney Chops posted:

Granted I never transcode, but when I setup my microserver with FreeNAS 7, simply turning on UPNP worked enough for my ps3 streaming needs and setting up SMB shares made it easy to fileshare between my pc's

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I want an easy to use 2 bay NAS for home usage. Is there anything I should look at other than the Synology DS211j?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Puddin posted:

Granted I never transcode, but when I setup my microserver with FreeNAS 7, simply turning on UPNP worked enough for my ps3 streaming needs and setting up SMB shares made it easy to fileshare between my pc's

This sounds good to me and it should save Rodney Chops spending $30 on NASLite.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

I want an easy to use 2 bay NAS for home usage. Is there anything I should look at other than the Synology DS211j?

Buffalo LinkStation and Netgear ReadyNAS have similar models to the DS211j.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Jigoku San posted:

Buffalo LinkStation and Netgear ReadyNAS have similar models to the DS211j.

Yeah, saw those but I've had my eyes on the Synology for a while. The software on the Synology looks pretty drat nice, plus it has Time Machine support and decent enough performance for my needs.

DS211J and 2 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4s. Should keep me going for quite a while.

Duke of New York
Nov 26, 2007

A number 1
Does anyone here have any experience with the WD My Book units? I'm looking at the 2TB version on Newegg, and it seems crazy cheap for what it is (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136746). Are there any glaring faults with these things?

I only need something to store music and video on, but be able to access it via wireless from my (windows 7) laptop(s).

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Devian666 posted:

This sounds good to me and it should save Rodney Chops spending $30 on NASLite.

Yea I guess theres no reason to use naslite if freenas does the same thing. It just sucks because a pile of my music and videos are not compatible with PS3. So i'm going to have run it all through handbrake before loading it on my nas. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
Is there any compelling reason to pick Microserver vs That Nice looking Lian Li case + newegg parts?

The cost will probably be roughly similar, but I don't know enough about the microserver to make an informed decision.