Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

I will love Insidious forever. Being startled that badly left me with hours of adrenaline, I was laughing about it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Some more Found footage/POV stuff;

Man Bites Dog - Film crew follows a sociopath and eventually gets wrapped up in his vile life. Actually a black comedy/Horror
The Last Horror Movie - A serial killer uses THIS TAPE to talk about himself and find new victims
Zero Hour - A kind of Columbine remake thing.
Tribulation 99: Alien Anomalies Under America - Insanity in a film. not scary in the traditional sense but definitely disturbing, a documentary about an alien race that rises from the ground.
In Memoriam - A guy with cancer decides to document his last days and captures ghosts on film.
Ghostwatch - A BBC produced mockumentry following a little girl supposedly possessed by a ghost named Pipes.

None of these are strictly your normal Found Footage/Horror stuff, but they'e all pretty good in their own way.

A lot of people complain about there being loads of these movies and the gimmick being played out, but in reality there's hardly any good ones. There used to be a thread with basically every found footage/mockumentry style movie listed but I guess its archived now. I love these kinds of movies but you're basically right, you've seen the best there is to offer already.

There's another one I can't remember, Its basically a documentary about a slasher villain, the camera crew follows him around trying to set up a slasher movie and its all quite funny. I'm sure one of the supergoons here will know what I'm talking about. It had the crew interviewing "ex-slashers" and the guy preparing and so on.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Final Destination 5 is still getting positive reviews, a little pissed it's not out here for another 2 weeks, I've been avoiding tv spots and clips so as not to see how people die. Going to be hard avoiding them for another 2 weeks, also I heard there are some twists along the way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Some more Found footage/POV stuff;

Man Bites Dog - Film crew follows a sociopath and eventually gets wrapped up in his vile life. Actually a black comedy/Horror
The Last Horror Movie - A serial killer uses THIS TAPE to talk about himself and find new victims
Zero Hour - A kind of Columbine remake thing.
Tribulation 99: Alien Anomalies Under America - Insanity in a film. not scary in the traditional sense but definitely disturbing, a documentary about an alien race that rises from the ground.
In Memoriam - A guy with cancer decides to document his last days and captures ghosts on film.
Ghostwatch - A BBC produced mockumentry following a little girl supposedly possessed by a ghost named Pipes.
There's also Cannibal Holocaust which virtually created the genre.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Slasherfan posted:

Final Destination 5 is still getting positive reviews, a little pissed it's not out here for another 2 weeks, I've been avoiding tv spots and clips so as not to see how people die. Going to be hard avoiding them for another 2 weeks, also I heard there are some twists along the way.

Don't read Ebert's review in that case. I usually don't care about spoilers, but right above his panning review, his header image is a dead character in an as-yet-unseen death scene.

He definitely has a point in his review (his thesis is basically "This is pretty bad, but people line up for 3D gore") but that's kinda dickish.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hector Delgado posted:

I liked Lake Mungo , its about a teenage girl who died, and now things are happening. I really can't say much more as it would ruin the story. I thought it was really well done, you could probably convice someone its real. I'm pretty fearless when it comes to horror movies, but this one creeped me out when I turned off the lights.
Its not really a "found footage" movie, its more like a fake documentary, still good viewing.

Lake Mungo is probably the most subtle and disturbing treatment of this kind of material.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
In lighter news, webcartoonist Kris Straub just posted his spoiler-filled* review of Final Destination 5 right here!

*no actual spoilers

Spoiler-filled Review posted:

Death 1: Tomas drops dead at the concert after drinking from a water bottle containing a gun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I had completely forgotten about Man Bites Dog. Cannibal Holocaust is kind of a Found footage, It uses the Story within a story as the initial set up is them showing the video to execs. I can't remember it's been a while. I really liked this one which came out before The Blair Witch project and shares a very similar story.

Also, look at the budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Broadcast_%28film%29

900 bucks

The video is also in its entirety on Google videos, it's actually decent. Not Amazing, but pretty drat good.

edit:

Oh I'd like to remember the documentary about the slasher villain as well, that was really good. I can't remember the name though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 11, 2011

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, I believe.

It was really good, and smart.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Has Incident At Lake County been mentioned yet? Thats an ace one too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hockles posted:

Yeah I remember it was really good, I thought they were going to do a sequel but aparently not. My favorite thing about the movie is just how non chalant he is. Yep, I figure Ill be a masked serial killer.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I just watched Yellowbrickroad, it was rubbish. I love movies where the ending makes me ask questions based on information already provided and what I had seen, and allows me to form my own opinion. This movie gave me no loving information, and had an ending that didn't even let me form a solid opinion of what had happened because it made no loving sense.

If anyone has a good grasp on this movie, please explain it because I feel really stupid right now.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I cannot find this on Imdb or Wikipedia

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Hockles posted:

Sometimes I feel like a crazy person because I hate that movie.

For a "deconstruction" of slasher movies or whatever it's incredibly superficial, and about 10 years too late.

Oh wow, he has to keep up with his victims while appearing to be walking slowly, what a fresh observation in 2006.

It's nowhere near as smart as it thinks it is.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

http://www.inmemoriumthemovie.com/

Sorry, spelt it wrong in my original post. or they spelt it wrong in the movie. whatever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Human Tornada posted:

For a "deconstruction" of slasher movies or whatever it's incredibly superficial, and about 10 years too late.

Oh wow, he has to keep up with his victims while appearing to be walking slowly, what a fresh observation in 2006.

Yeah, it's basically poo poo.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

http://www.inmemoriumthemovie.com/

Sorry, spelt it wrong in my original post. or they spelt it wrong in the movie. whatever.

thanks but I'm still having trouble finding it :( Its not for sale in any online retailer I can find.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Vier posted:

thanks but I'm still having trouble finding it :( Its not for sale in any online retailer I can find.

Yeah, the distribution was caught up in a load of crap or something, I used to bug the director on Myspace ages ago and I ended up just watching it on that indie movie streaming site they link to on their page.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah, the distribution was caught up in a load of crap or something, I used to bug the director on Myspace ages ago and I ended up just watching it on that indie movie streaming site they link to on their page.

Yeah I just looked there but its not streaming right now :( I guess I will wait for it to come on netflix or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, it's basically poo poo.

I wouldn't call it poo poo but , it did have some low points. I still really liked it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Pontypool? "Whatever is said instead of being shown is lost upon the viewer" - Truffaut was right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I hated Pontypool with a fiery passion ; on the other hand I liked the Poughkeepsie tapes, well I didn't enjoy the movie but it elicited a strong emotional response (revulsion, which I think was what they were going for ).

This movie looks interesting:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/2448

The Pack

While driving through a northern rural wasteland, Charlotte picks up Max, a hitchhiker. They stop in a truck-stop restaurant run by a woman named Spack. When Max disappears in the bar, Charlotte decides to investigate and things take a turn for the worse. Charlotte finds herself in Spack's gruesome human farm, with other prisoners, semi-alive or dead, reared for their blood to feed Spack's "kids"- a pack of blood thirsty ghouls, who come out of the earth each night to be fed fresh human blood.

French horror based around ghouls. Anyone seen it?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 12, 2011

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hockles posted:

Although this movie is really just Man Bites Dog + Scream but not quite as good as either one, I still enjoyed it a lot. I know there are a bunch of movies that have done the whole "self aware deconstruction of the genre" thing now, but by adding the fake documentary angle I thought this one stood out from the pack a bit.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm probably way behind here (I don't have cable, so I tend to be outta the loop) but I just saw a commercial for Straw Dogs and I wanna see it. I'd say it's more of a thriller than a horror, but I thought I'd get some opinions on it. I guess I should watch the original first.....

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Human Tornada posted:

I think the movie completely goes to poo poo in the 3rd act. The whole setup is actually kind of interesting, but then the documentary crew members start behaving exactly like dumb slasher film victims, which makes no sense considering they SAW THE SETUP.

As soon as they switched from mocumentary POV to cinematic POV the movie became a cliche mess.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Human Tornada posted:

There was a deleted scene that I thought handled that really cleverly, and I can't understand why they removed it.

He makes a bet with the girl that he can beat her from point A to point B while walking, with her running at a full sprint. She agrees- meaning they film how he does it, and it's great.
While she's ahead of him, he quickly and quietly outmatches her pace, and then, every time she looks back, he drops into a lumbering power-stalk, which trips her up. He quickly closes the gap, gets right up behind her, and makes a creepy groan, escalating the harassment until she trips. Iirc he walks up to her and says something to the effect of, "Normally, you'd be dead. But since this was practice you just owe me a beer."

It moves really naturally, and accentuates, one, that Leslie was really, ridiculously, unbelievably good at this poo poo; and, two, that the adherence to genre cliches was was theatrical, not practical.

I took the film less as a deconstruction, and more of a celebration of storied tradition. (Probably because I was 17 and slasher movies are what I had instead of culture.)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Leslie Vernon is the exact definition of "mixed bag" to me. Saying "it sucks" seems to be extremely hyperbolic; there are a lot of lovingly crafted, somewhat witty or interesting little details in it that are easily appreciated, balanced with an equal amount of stupidity/cliche' stuff that's groan inducing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

Pontypool? "Whatever is said instead of being shown is lost upon the viewer" - Truffaut was right.

Pontypool is a great flick. Don't ever, ever read the book though. It is one of the worst things I've ever read and there's a postscript from Burgess basically saying "I was young when I wrote this and it is terrible". There is some room for at least one or two sequels though. If Bruce McDonald feels like retooling the story again, I'd be down for that. There is some truly horrific, potentially awesome stuff in the book but it's written so, so poorly.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Harry Potter Director David Yates to adapt The Stand

I love that book and I thought the last few Harry Potter movies were awesome, so I'm excited for this. And presumably since it's not 1992 there won't be any mullets involved.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Pontypool is a great flick.

I can't find any real discussion going on about it in CD, can you tell me why you thought it was great? I was really bored with it, even when the revelation about how the virus spreads was being revealed I appreciated it for it's originality but just pined for something interesting to happen on the screen. It's funny you mention the book because I started thinking part of the problem was that film was the wrong medium for the story, I didn't realise it was based on a book - I think the story would work very well as a Radio Play.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

I can't find any real discussion going on about it in CD, can you tell me why you thought it was great? I was really bored with it, even when the revelation about how the virus spreads was being revealed I appreciated it for it's originality but just pined for something interesting to happen on the screen. It's funny you mention the book because I started thinking part of the problem was that film was the wrong medium for the story, I didn't realise it was based on a book - I think the story would work very well as a Radio Play.

I'd agree it'd work well as a radio play but I love it here too. Interesting things happen throughout and there is a fun, totally surreal aspect to it with the doctor and those singers. There are a few scenes that stand out, like the producer's face on the glass of the booth, and I was interested throughout. Not sure why you thought it was boring unless you were expecting a bombastic scene with the army and stuff. I thought it showed incredible restraint on Macdonald's part NOT to show those things.

Also, a horror movie that takes place in Northern Ontario is always going to get a pop from me.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'd agree it'd work well as a radio play but I love it here too. Interesting things happen throughout and there is a fun, totally surreal aspect to it with the doctor and those singers. There are a few scenes that stand out, like the producer's face on the glass of the booth, and I was interested throughout. Not sure why you thought it was boring unless you were expecting a bombastic scene with the army and stuff. I thought it showed incredible restraint on Macdonald's part NOT to show those things.

Also, a horror movie that takes place in Northern Ontario is always going to get a pop from me.

My problem lies with not trusting the sources of the story, nor the experts opinion, nor the events in the way the director chose to reveal them. Going back to my quote from Francois Truffaut - I was lost when the characters were telling me what happens instead of the director showing me. I just didn't buy the story - perhaps the director is looking for that in people who are cynical of the media and it's a job done for him but I didn't like sitting there for an hour and a half watching a movie unfold which I had no way of getting into. It didn't get under my skin like I've noticed a few people say, I wish I liked it because it has some smart ideas but in the end it's maybe a little too pretentious and not interesting enough for me. To each his own though.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I thought a lot of Pontypool's strengths were because of its decision to tell instead of show. Maybe it's just me but I've always loved the idea of a movie where you have characters finding out that something cataclysmic/apocalyptic is going on around them but they're too separated from the action to see anything for themselves. When the movie just relied on the characters getting their information from radio/phone calls/military broadcasts/whatever else it was terrific.

Of course Pontypool kind of poo poo the bed once the doctor comes in. It did have a really good thing going for the first half or so, it's too bad that everything kind of slowly went downhill.

This reminds me though, Yellowbrickroad had a similar problem. Lots of promise at first but once the body count starts to go up things got bad real fast. Unlike Pontypool though this movie more or less took a freefall dive into a pile of dog poo poo.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

justlikedunkirk posted:

This reminds me though, Yellowbrickroad had a similar problem. Lots of promise at first but once the body count starts to go up things got bad real fast. Unlike Pontypool though this movie more or less took a freefall dive into a pile of dog poo poo.

I saw this the other day because it came up earlier in the thread and it was pretty much a waste of time. Interesting premise, terrible, first-year-film-school-project type execution, appalling ending that makes absolutely no sense. The acting across the board was dire as well, you'd think he'd be able to find at least one decent actor.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is anyone else kinda looking forward to the Fright Night remake? Colin Farrell pretty charismatic and it might be fun to watch him brutalize McLovin. I'm not expecting a Let Me In level vampire movie but as long as it's not absolutely awful I'll probably still enjoy it a little bit.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Whispering Machines posted:

I love that book and I thought the last few Harry Potter movies were awesome, so I'm excited for this. And presumably since it's not 1992 there won't be any mullets involved.

The opening of the ABC miniseries had a fantastic idea. I'd love to see Yates' take on the same concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQXqZ8JJktw

The book had a great first third. Not sure about the payoff.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is anyone else kinda looking forward to the Fright Night remake? Colin Farrell pretty charismatic and it might be fun to watch him brutalize McLovin. I'm not expecting a Let Me In level vampire movie but as long as it's not absolutely awful I'll probably still enjoy it a little bit.

I'm looking forward to it. Fright Night is one of my favorite 80s flicks and I'm usually soured by remakes, but I'm definitely excited to see this one. Of course, that probably means it will suck.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Hollis posted:

Yeah I remember it was really good, I thought they were going to do a sequel but aparently not. My favorite thing about the movie is just how non chalant he is. Yep, I figure Ill be a masked serial killer.

They are currently trying themselves in crowd funding (mostly on Facebook) by selling DVD's and small roles in the movie. It'll be called 'Before the Mask' and deconstructs (you guessed right) prequels.

I liked the first one. As most people here said, it's not as clever as it would like to be but it's pretty solid I think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Whispering Machines posted:

I--

I'm trying to think of a more tactful way to put this, but...

...they have to change the loving ending, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Anyone see Final Destination 5?