Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

coleman francis posted:

Hi.

A friend is currently tasked with doing a paper on Archontophoenix cunninghamiana/Bangalow Palm and it's invasive effects on the environment of new zealand.

She has scoured libraries and internets (as have I) looking for any substantial source or reference material on the subject and has essentially nothing to show for it.

Seems to me like this is a new emerging threat, not something that has a long history (and hence, very little completed research). According to the wikipedia article that species is NOT currently problematic, but one that is considered to have potential for issues in the future. This comment is sourced from an Auckland Regional Council plan to study this possibility at some point in the future, but it hasn't been done yet.

Perhaps your best bet is to get a hold of the biosecurity people directly. They have a contact email on the bottom of this page from the Auckland Regional Council website.

Is the paper meant to be a hypothetical? Like "how could this plant POTENTIALLY cause invasive management issues?" If that is the case, the same Auckland plan mentions how this palm is very similar to a native species, it shares the same habitat, and can propagate itself quite easily. You could read up on the native species (nikau palm, Rhopalostylis sapida) and write about how the 2 would compete.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Can anyone recommend Windows based software which measures Wireless signal? A dB meter?
I'm building a cantenna/wok-fi, and I want to know exactly where to point it.

(Not netstumbler either, it's old and doesn't work with most hardware.
Cain and Abel is ok, but I'm looking for something that's instant and has a meter that moves when you move.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 12, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Has anyone seen any scene releases done with WebM?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is aftermarket 3rd party printer ink any good?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Has anyone seen any scene releases done with WebM?

The "scene" refuses to use WebM because file size, encoding quality, and encoding performance are all very poor.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Turns out there was a loving squirrel's nest in my air filter that was spilling over into some vital moving parts. Nature hates my car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raimundus posted:

Turns out there was a loving squirrel's nest in my air filter that was spilling over into some vital moving parts. Nature hates my car.

So it was the accelerator cable getting hung up at the throttle body?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

So it was the accelerator cable getting hung up at the throttle body?

Yeah, I figured the cable was caught on something because the pedal was loose, but I thought it was going to be ice or some old, filthy grease or something.

Our driveway sits next to some trees that are popular with squirrels. It shouldn't be surprising that they found my car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Raimundus posted:

Yeah, I figured the cable was caught on something because the pedal was loose, but I thought it was going to be ice or some old, filthy grease or something.
If the pedal was loose, that would suggest the return spring was jammed, so it's weird that it was loose if it was just something in the engine bay.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

I'm stumped on this particular crossword question:

"Earwig and Pleiad have this number in common."

The intersecting spaces (which I know are right) yield this:

S _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ n

I thought it had something to do with Pleiad and Earwig intersecting on "i", but I'm really stumped otherwise.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Named Ashamed posted:

S _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ n

I thought it had something to do with Pleiad and Earwig intersecting on "i", but I'm really stumped otherwise.

Sixtyseven?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Named Ashamed posted:

S _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ n

Earwig and Pleiad are both singular, usually people talk about the Pleiades, a star cluster type thing. That should help.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Named Ashamed posted:

S _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ n

Sixtyseven does fit, but what is 67 across or down? The word "nymph" comes to mind.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Named Ashamed posted:

S _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ n

It's "six or seven": the number of letters in each word, and then Seven for the Seven Sisters of Peliades, one of whom (Merope) is also the name of the 'earwigfly" (Merope tuber).

Maybe.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fishmech posted:

Earwig and Pleiad are both singular, usually people talk about the Pleiades, a star cluster type thing. That should help.

Pleiades is known by the 7 eye-visible stars in the cluster:
http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/Media/NHN/pleiades.html

Could the answer be sixorseven or sixofseven? I have no idea what this earwig clue would mean.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I don't use Steam much. Sometimes I open it up one day and it shows "Downloading Gary's Mod" or "Downloading Half Life Episode 1" or whatever's in my library. Does it mean updates? Because I've already downloaded and played these things in the past on this computer. Why would it keep re-downloading them?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Moscow Mule posted:

Does it mean updates?

Yes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is aftermarket 3rd party printer ink any good?

It can be, but the trouble is that if the ink is of inferior quality it can clog up your print heads quickly and end up either wasting ink in clogged heads, or cause you to change the heads sooner then if you used the manufacturer's inks. God help you if the print heads aren't user replaceable.

My experience comes from years of working in printer repairs.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the deal with red dresses tonight? Two groups of women I know are going out on the town in red dresses. I presume it has something to do with Valentine's day, but other than that...?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

hooah posted:

What's the deal with red dresses tonight? Two groups of women I know are going out on the town in red dresses. I presume it has something to do with Valentine's day, but other than that...?

You answered your own question.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

On Friday I paid for a purchase on PayPal totaling $550, and apparently it has violated their terms so they refunded $154 back into my account (because that was my PayPal balance) and the remaining $395 (which I paid for on my credit card) is "being credited back."

The only thing I can find on the PayPal site is that it could take up to 30 days. Does anyone have any idea how long it will actually take?

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Bojanglesworth posted:

On Friday I paid for a purchase on PayPal totaling $550, and apparently it has violated their terms so they refunded $154 back into my account (because that was my PayPal balance) and the remaining $395 (which I paid for on my credit card) is "being credited back."

The only thing I can find on the PayPal site is that it could take up to 30 days. Does anyone have any idea how long it will actually take?

They always say up to 30 days for things like that. I think it has to do when it shows up on your statement at the end of your billing cycle. I've gotten a PayPal refund of a few bucks back to my credit card before and it took 2 or 3 days. When I run a refund myself, it's usually back on the card by midnight, so I guess they have some processing days in there.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

john mayer posted:

They always say up to 30 days for things like that. I think it has to do when it shows up on your statement at the end of your billing cycle. I've gotten a PayPal refund of a few bucks back to my credit card before and it took 2 or 3 days. When I run a refund myself, it's usually back on the card by midnight, so I guess they have some processing days in there.

Yeah, I figured that. I called PayPal and they were of course no help at all. I guess I will need to call my credit card company tomorrow and see if they can offer any insight. Hopefully its quick. Just for future reference, don't try to pay for gun PARTS with PayPal.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

fishmech posted:

I'm still not finding anything. Do you happen to know and are just hinting to me?

revolther
May 27, 2008
What was sixtyseven down or across? The first response mentioned that it may be referencing another answer, so if sixtyseven down or across is nymph or merope then you have your answer.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I'm looking to get a friend of mine an old vintage poster for about $25. I am specifically looking for an old vintage San Diego or Los Angeles Poster.

This one from San Diego is perfect:
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.a...y=PD&c=c&page=1

This is kinda cool as well, but I wanted more city:
http://www.internationalposter.com/poster-details.aspx?id=USL14347

I am looking to spend a max of $25.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
On an ipad commercial they show it displaying a plane ticket with barcode, then someone at the counter scans the barcode with a regular barcode gun.

How is that possible? Barcodes work by the way laser light is not reflected by black bars and is by white (or not-black) in between right? Wouldn't an lcd reflect laser light the same no matter how the pixels or sub pixels are on/off/lit whatever?

Also what's a really cheap flash mp3 player that browses/displays folders? completely non-id3-tag driven? Would prefer it taking a AAA battery so I have no downtime. I have a 2gb creative zen nano right now, wanting something almost exactly like this but more storage (microsd maybe)

I want something pretty simple and not touchscreen, it's for in the car. I used to have a nice usb capable kenwood but once again I had a deck stolen and back to my factory deck.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 14, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I have no insight into the technology surrounding why it works, but this is how I have checked in and presented my boarding pass for the past couple of months (on my phone though, not my ipad).

There's even an app called "keyring" that let's you put all your rewards and FF cards into it and use the barcode it pulls up to scan in. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but I would say at least 80% of the time it does.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

How is that possible? Barcodes work by the way laser light is not reflected by black bars and is by white (or not-black) in between right? Wouldn't an lcd reflect laser light the same no matter how the pixels or sub pixels are on/off/lit whatever?

That's certainly not the case for normal light (since we can make out differences on the screen even under bright sunlight), so I guess (since it definitely works) the laser light is sufficiently absorbed by the black pixels to register a different leel.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
Target also does a thing where it sends you coupons to your mobile, and you can scan them at the register like normal ones.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Enigma89 posted:

I'm looking to get a friend of mine an old vintage poster for about $25. I am specifically looking for an old vintage San Diego or Los Angeles Poster.

This one from San Diego is perfect:
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.a...y=PD&c=c&page=1

This is kinda cool as well, but I wanted more city:
http://www.internationalposter.com/poster-details.aspx?id=USL14347

I am looking to spend a max of $25.

If you don't have luck elsewhere, you can always sign up for sale notifications and coupon deals from allposters.com on this page. They have pretty regular deals, and if my memory serves me correctly then they have 50% off events a couple of times per year.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Ok I have a weird question, and figured this would be the best thread for it since it's not really E/N worthy:

Me and my girlfriend are hanging out in my room, with the door closed. My roommate and his girlfriend and our friend are in the living room. My roommate's girlfriend brought cupcakes, which I noticed when I went out to get water. She offers me one and I ask if my girlfriend can have one (she's not feeling well, staying in my room) and she says ok, and all is well.

However, my girlfriend wants another one, but I think it's rude to keep asking for somebodies food when we're staying in my room and keeping to ourselves. Am I wrong for thinking this? I myself would be pretty annoyed if my roommate kept eating the food I brought but kept taking it back into his room and closing his door. She's pretty pissed that I think this way, saying that I'm 'defending' my friends girlfriend(who has been rude to my own girlfriend in the past). I couldn't care less where the cupcakes came from, I just think it's rude to keep asking for more food when we just stay back here in my room.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Mustang posted:

Ok I have a weird question, and figured this would be the best thread for it since it's not really E/N worthy:

Me and my girlfriend are hanging out in my room, with the door closed. My roommate and his girlfriend and our friend are in the living room. My roommate's girlfriend brought cupcakes, which I noticed when I went out to get water. She offers me one and I ask if my girlfriend can have one (she's not feeling well, staying in my room) and she says ok, and all is well.

However, my girlfriend wants another one, but I think it's rude to keep asking for somebodies food when we're staying in my room and keeping to ourselves. Am I wrong for thinking this? I myself would be pretty annoyed if my roommate kept eating the food I brought but kept taking it back into his room and closing his door. She's pretty pissed that I think this way, saying that I'm 'defending' my friends girlfriend(who has been rude to my own girlfriend in the past). I couldn't care less where the cupcakes came from, I just think it's rude to keep asking for more food when we just stay back here in my room.

Good thing you checked with the forums first. I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but I will ask DodderyMeerkat over IRC, tough situation.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Mustang posted:

If I were your friend's girlfriend, I'd think it was rude. She already had one, there's no need to be greedy. Anyway if they've been unfriendly with eachother before, she should be happy that she got any and leave it at that instead of stirring the pot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If your gf really wanted another one, she'd man up, get up, be polite, and ask the other girl for one.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ya, she wants another one she should be considerate enough to go out, say hi, apologize for being sick and not feeling up to socializing, but compliment the cupcakes and ask for another.

I've dated a couple girls who threw all their manners out the window when they saw cupcakes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah, thanks guys. I thought it was a silly question as well. I think it was just because she just started her period and is PMSing, and craving chocolate. She's fine now, thankfully. She's usually very polite.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Wagonburner posted:

On an ipad commercial they show it displaying a plane ticket with barcode, then someone at the counter scans the barcode with a regular barcode gun.

A lot of modern scanners use digital cameras instead of lasers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

Yeah, thanks guys. I thought it was a silly question as well.

Did the Internet convince her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darsh5000
Dec 10, 2005

#2Terms2Chainz
I'm trying to think of a single english word that means 'to split in two'. It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to remember it.

e: i was thinking of 'bifurcate'

darsh5000 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 14, 2011