Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's two series out of hundreds since like the 60's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Princess Tutu kinda counts as magical girl, kinda sorta, and it rocks, watch the anime if you haven't.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

That's two series out of hundreds since like the 60's

Yeah, that's true. There is some osmosis around here though of the idea of magical girls being for older dudes though, so it could just be association with bad fanbases. Also that one outdated photo of how Precure is aimed at little girls and older dudes that keeps getting trotted out every now and then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know what you've been watching to get this idea but 90% of magical girl shows are PreCure style stuff for kids.

Doesn't Precure have an (in)famously split demographic, though? As in, it even has separate official fan-events for little girls and weird adult men? Is that just a brony thing, or does it actually cater to the latter demographic?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Their primary demographic is preteen girls and that's who they're written for.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Precure (at least the series I've watched, which are the first three and Heartcatch) are more "grown up" in themes and more action-y than traditional magical girl fare. For example, most of the time magic attacks are only used as finishers, the fights are the girls straight up punching and kicking bad guys in the faces (and it's awesome). It's about halfway between things like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura and things like Madoka. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "for adults" though, it's still pretty clearly a childrens' cartoon.

As for official fan-events or brony-like things, I've no idea.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'd put Sailor Moon in that halfway point personally since that's all about shredding monsters apart every episode, and the manga being full of dead faces, while Precure despite being more physical, is somewhat less violent. Either way, both it and Precure are written for young girls though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To clarify on 'brony thing', I meant adult nerds latching onto a show for a totally different demographic and then deciding it was marketed towards them in the first place in order to justify their insecurities about, say, writing million-word fanfictions about loving horses. As opposed to a show actually having split marketing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is this Precure? It's in my gif folder and it seems pretty hardcore for something for little girls.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Is this Precure? It's in my gif folder and it seems pretty hardcore for something for little girls.

The original series had the DBZ action choreographer. Not sure whether that was to expand its demographic appeal or just because someone thought little girls deserved cool fights as much as little boys.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

These are the two girls from the first two series (the second is a sequel to the first, before they went full Power Rangers and started changing main characters each season). I don't recall that scene though, maybe it's from one of the newer movies? (They also did some big fuckoff crossover movies with all the characters in them, I haven't watched those.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

It's about, or even less than, the violence levels of something like Naruto or One Piece which are aimed at similarly aged boys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, my mistake, it was the Dragonball/DBZ director. Here's his Wikped page - the filmography explains a lot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My favourite shoujo magical girl shows in no particular order:

CCS starts really slow, but ends up probably my favourite CLAMP's work, and they did a couple very good things so...
Does X count? It has girls and magic and it's shoujo af.
Everyone knows about Sailor Moon. Read the manga, watch the anime, but avoid crystal IMO.
Princess Tutu is easily one of the best in the genre. Maybe even the best?
Full Moon wo sagashite is technically also magical girl and is really drat good.
Shugo chara is on crunchy roll and is OK enough.
Ultra Maniac, Snow fairy Sugar, Hime-chan no ribbon, Akazukin Chacha, Sugar Sugar Rune are all decent watches.
Also, Utena, because Utena is the best thing.

Then there's the precure series (heartcatch precure is the best one IIRC), which is now larger than even Sailor Moon?

Dunno much about most of the mangas though, sorry!

edit: I will fight anyone who disses nanoha, A's a great show, even if it isn't shoujo demographic.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 24, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I feel kind of dumb. I've been reading all this manga that has mentioned precure, but I had seriously never heard of it outside of manga anywhere else so I just kind of thought it was like this industry wide 'magi girl' anime that everyone could use and so there wouldn't be any conflict or confusion or trying to gently caress with things like sailor moon.

It is seriously blowing my mind it's an actual anime.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah.

Precure owns.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Truga posted:

edit: I will fight anyone who disses nanoha, A's a great show, even if it isn't shoujo demographic.

Sorry, I actually like Nanoha too. It's just an easy target to mention since it is aimed at dudes unfortunately and tends to get a bad rap.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know what you've been watching to get this idea but 90% of magical girl shows are PreCure style stuff for kids.

Allarion posted:

Blame Nanoha and/or Fate Prism Ilya.

To be fair, it's this more than anything else, I have very limited exposure to the genre because the exposure I've had has been to the creepy stuff. :(

Allarion posted:

Sorry, I actually like Nanoha too. It's just an easy target to mention since it is aimed at dudes unfortunately and tends to get a bad rap.

I love Nanoha but Nanoha would be about 500% better without the shower/bath episodes and the transformation sequences that linger on everyone's crotches and chests.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nanoha is unfortunate because A's is genuinely good but everything else is either just bad or does have some creepy stuff going on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nanoha is an eroge spinoff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dordreff posted:

yeah.

Precure owns.

These two gifs tell me that those girls are actually just WWE wrestlers.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

dordreff posted:

yeah.

Precure owns.
Don't Become an Otaku, Twiddy!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

These two gifs tell me that those girls are actually just WWE wrestlers.

I think there is actually some pro-wrestling influence in Dragonball (just look at Recoome), and since the two shows share directors...

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Precure in general has some pretty awesome action scenes. My favorite for action has to be either the first/second series (same characters as the gifs) or Heartcatch. The others have good action as well, but those two series stand out to me.

I got bored of Precure in general the last few years though so I haven't seen any of Happiness Charge or Go Princess, and didn't even finish Dokidoki or Smile.

EDIT: Nanoha is pretty good, and I actually like Strikers. Not as much as As but I think it's pretty good. Haven't seen that new Vivid series though, I heard some pretty not-good things about that manga.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 24, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

dordreff posted:

yeah.

Precure owns.

Dear God

I was wrong

I need to watch this.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

BattleCattle posted:

Dear God

I was wrong

I need to watch this.

I think that scene was from one of the All Star movies, which while having completely badass action scenes, were not actually very good movies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was glad when I noticed precure was on CR, since I never finished the original series when it was airing, but the quality is trash!

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone read "In the Clothes Named Fat"? It seems kind of interesting/depressing.

edit: Well poo poo, that was a downer.

Yeah, a few years back when I was in my Moyoco Anno phase and I'd run out of anthing else licensed or translated by her, I saw that In The Clothes Named Fat was available in French on amazon.fr, so I bought that and muddled through with my long-forgotten high school French intending to make my own scanlation (mainly just for myself). Then JShoujo started theirs up before I finished my script, so I killed it. (Check the credits of the last third of the scanlated chapters from JShoujo.)

And yeah, ItCNF hit a lot of the things that I like about Anno, but it was so depressing. Hataraki Man, which I mentioned a few pages back, is not depressing and is good, albeit short and on hiatus, probably forever.

If you can, I do recommend her better-known, licensed works, Happy Mania (josei), Flowers & Bees (seinen), and Sugar Sugar Rune (shoujo)--the last is too shoujo for me personally, but it still has some classic Anno elements that make me happy.

nothings fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 24, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Googled Precure. Was expecting cheesecake, but found something actually cute instead.

I don't know what this scene means in context, but

It's cute, and I need to see it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

Googled Precure. Was expecting cheesecake, but found something actually cute instead.

I don't know what this scene means in context, but

It's cute, and I need to see it.

You can start wherever you like, besides the first two season (the second is a sequel to the first) they aren't related at all besides using the Precure name, except for crossover movies and specials (like Power Rangers if you're familiar with how they handle that). I've only watched the first three seasons and Heartcatch Precure, and Heartcatch is very good. You can start with that. (Erika is the best.)

e: the guy responsible for the Heartcatch Precure character designs and animation direction had the same jobs on Casshern Sins.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 24, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Mikl posted:

You can start wherever you like, besides the first two season (the second is a sequel to the first) they aren't related at all besides using the Precure name, except for crossover movies and specials (like Power Rangers if you're familiar with how they handle that). I've only watched the first three seasons and Heartcatch Precure, and Heartcatch is very good. You can start with that. (Erika is the best.)

Awesome! Starting with Heartcatch. Thanks for the tip!

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Captain Invictus posted:

This is from the second movie where one of the Gardens gets taken over by freeze dudes because of reasons. There's plenty of punching in the first two TV series (PC/PCMH) but the animation is rubbish, like never mind "high budget", most episodes have at least one animation error that could never have made it past the laziest QC process. Don't watch them for the fight scenes (or in general honestly).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm strongly tempted to watch Precure now, but Christ, every series is ~50 episodes. :negative:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm strongly tempted to watch Precure now, but Christ, every series is ~50 episodes. :negative:

It's easy! All you have to do is sever your life, responsibility and friends and sit in a dark room for a week! (please don't actually do that)

Jokes aside, I feel your pain. I powered through Sailor Moon once, intending to get through the whole thing so I had something to talk about with my one of my then-new friends. Got halfway through S. Got burnt out. Might've been better if I remembered to eat properly.

Since I actually have a schedule to keep to now, I'm gonna limit myself to watching a couple episodes a day. I should be done by the time I start sprouting grey hairs. Here's hoping.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched Heartcatch over breakfast a couple days a week for half a year or so. It worked well for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Near as I can tell, you can think of it like Gundam or Kamen Rider, a franchise containing dozens of different stories united by a few loose concepts rather than hard plot continuity. That does probably mean the quality's pretty variable, though.

As for magical girl shows for adult fans, I also liked Nanoha StrikerS. Sure, the pacing needed serious improvement, but there were some great moments and it was neat to see the show commit so hard to 'military magical girls' as a concept. Plus, by that point that'd excised almost all of the weird bits from the earlier seasons (before adding them right back in in ViVid, ugh). Not a franchise I'd recommend unreservedly - I was sold it on YouTube clips of magical girl Gundam fights and the promise that 'it gets better later on, honest', and I still found the early stuff a rough slog through some pretty dull and creepy bullshit. Still, the good stuff does eventually happen, and is pretty good. Just watch the movie rather than the first season, because it's an improvement in every way, even if it doesn't totally discard the weird stuff.

There's also Symphogear, which is a failure by an extraordinary number of metrics of artistic quality and good taste, but manages to be as fun as hell thanks to the ridiculous amounts of camp, hair-metal bombast it brings to the table. We're talking a renegade idol in an armoured dress blazing away with quad miniguns and launching swarms of missiles from the multi-launch batteries growing out of her skirt while she sings about the importance of blowing poo poo up and a tattered yellow scroll unfurls across the screen spelling out 'MEGA DETH PARTY' in heavy Gothic script. Some people have referred to it as the magical girl version of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and while I think that's a little too kind to it, I can at least see where they're coming from.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nanoha has crossed some event horizon and is no longer a good rec I feel, no matter how fondly people may remember A's. Just too much baggage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Nanoha has crossed some event horizon and is no longer a good rec I feel, no matter how fondly people may remember A's. Just too much baggage.

We talking the reputation fallout from the latest manga (because yeah, they're all very bad in very different ways) or the nostalgia wearing off for the TV shows? Because I would say the TV stuff is OK with caveats (provided, as mentioned, you swap out S1 for the movie), but I totally get why others might disagree.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

BattleCattle posted:

Awesome! Starting with Heartcatch. Thanks for the tip!

Heartcatch is the best precure, nothing else even comes close.

There are other good ones, but Heartcatch is pretty god drat awesome.

Also, I still gladly recommend Nanoha to anyone interested in seeing magical girl gundams. I thought the two movies were good, and As and Strikers were still really good. Haven't gone over to Vivid yet but I might check it out one day when things are slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013
precure is great and cute and has consistently good punching across all seasons