Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

As a seriously hearing impaired person I just want to say god bless you all who make captioning etc.

Awesome! Whenever I tell people what I do they've always got an anecdote about they or someone they know who use 'em. It was surprising because I always thought it was a bit of a niche thing, but so many people use them for different reasons: hearing impaired, learning English as a second language, and even noisy bars with muted TVs.

Someone posted a thread in A/T about a year ago or so about being deaf/hard of hearing that I liked to read and post in, but it died after like 5 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Get into pen-palling with people from countries that don't have English as an official language and you'll hear people thank you for your job helping to teach them English.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A few years ago I had actually briefly talked with Kazmeyer via PM about getting starting doing transcription work in some of my spare time. I'm detail oriented and other things about it agree with me. But shortly after that my hearing took a nosedive due to disease. Hearing-wise I'm now the equivalent of the person who is blind as a bat without their coke-bottle-lens glasses, and even with them they're more just sort of minimally functional. So that obviously went nowhere :haw:

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Is there a set time DT sends out jobs for the day? Last week I got my gig the night before at 8, but today it's nearly noon and my bid for the day hasn't come in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Is there a set time DT sends out jobs for the day? Last week I got my gig the night before at 8, but today it's nearly noon and my bid for the day hasn't come in.

Could be literally anywhere from like 10am EST to 2am EST.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The usual time is around 12 PST. Sometimes later, sometimes earlier.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I'm thinking about a personal policy of blacklisting all MTV reality shows. I want to find whoever edits these, rip out their windpipe, and beat them to death with the tonsil end. Jesus Christ.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kazmeyer posted:

I'm thinking about a personal policy of blacklisting all MTV reality shows. I want to find whoever edits these, rip out their windpipe, and beat them to death with the tonsil end. Jesus Christ.

They're often pretty bad but I haven't killed myself over them just yet. They've been above the cutoff where I absolutely hate them. Hell, I did an episode of one once that was super interesting documentary stuff.

I think the funniest thing is there's unironically a series of, like, multiple reality contest shows that has a loving recurring cast between them or some poo poo, it's like they can't get new people anymore.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I haven't found MTV shows particularly annoying or difficult, at least at the interview stage. Vapid and shallow maybe, but meh.

On a completely unrelated note, there is a single network whose reality shows seem to be much, much more staged than any other that I've worked on, to the point where sometimes it's just like, read these lines, I don't care what really happened, just say what we tell you to say.

These two statements are completely unrelated. For legal reasons.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I did a reality show for a network that shall not be named where one of the principals, after a short conversation with the director and a castmate, asked in an incredulous voice, "Wait, we're supposed to be brothers?"

Definitely going to start asking for 44s instead of 22s so I can get more scripted/documentary type stuff. I forgot how much I hate reality work. :)

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't know if these are actually MTV shows I hate, I haven't looked them up. They're just that MTV/VH1 style of reality/talking head stuff that just drives me up a wall. Normally I love it when shows are edited together before I have to work on them, but these editors have this really irritating way of Frankensteining clips together to take out all the pauses inbetween sentences that makes me lose my cherub-like demeanor.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 10, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kazmeyer posted:

I did a reality show for a network that shall not be named where one of the principals, after a short conversation with the director and a castmate, asked in an incredulous voice, "Wait, we're supposed to be brothers?"

Definitely going to start asking for 44s instead of 22s so I can get more scripted/documentary type stuff. I forgot how much I hate reality work. :)

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't know if these are actually MTV shows I hate, I haven't looked them up. They're just that MTV/VH1 style of reality/talking head stuff that just drives me up a wall. Normally I love it when shows are edited together before I have to work on them, but these editors have this really irritating way of Frankensteining clips together to take out all the pauses inbetween sentences that makes me lose my cherub-like demeanor.

I always imagine people as their AVs, so cherub-like demeanor in this case is particularly amusing. This also makes JKL disturbing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kazmeyer posted:

You'll be upgrading from lovely short reality to lovely long reality with the occasional not as lovely contest-type show or actual scripted/documentary thing and sometimes things so abhorrent that they should never be named.

Yesterday I had a piece of DT-style work with some lovely-rear end talker, garbo miccing, and since it wasn't from DT I couldn't just slam all the interviewers dumbfuck talking under a 3 word paraphrase followed by [NON-INTERVIEW]

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 10, 2015

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Eh, I don't mind the longer reality. With 44 minutes, they're usually content to let scenes breathe a little and fit in some narration. With 22, it's like "MUST FILL LITERALLY EVERY SECOND WITH SOMEONE SPEAKING GO GO GO".

In any case, I gripe, but it's way better than a lot of the reality work I've had in the past. I've just gotten spoiled by working mostly scripted stuff and news for the past couple of years. :)

Right now I've got a reality show from another client that's fascinating as all get out, but Jesus could these people use some elocution lessons. Somebody will talk for ten seconds and I'll be like, "I don't think there were any words in there."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kazmeyer posted:

Eh, I don't mind the longer reality. With 44 minutes, they're usually content to let scenes breathe a little and fit in some narration.

It's cute you think this still.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Awesome! Whenever I tell people what I do they've always got an anecdote about they or someone they know who use 'em. It was surprising because I always thought it was a bit of a niche thing, but so many people use them for different reasons: hearing impaired, learning English as a second language, and even noisy bars with muted TVs.

Someone posted a thread in A/T about a year ago or so about being deaf/hard of hearing that I liked to read and post in, but it died after like 5 pages.
What company do you work for/with?

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I have been working on a cancer research piece for the last week that is so brain fryingly full of science that listening to 20 somethings give dating advice mostly through the medium of "like" was a beautiful oasis.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I have been working on a cancer research piece for the last week that is so brain fryingly full of science that listening to 20 somethings give dating advice mostly through the medium of "like" was a beautiful oasis.

Been there before. Give me a documentary about chickens and weasels and whatever giving people nasty viruses I don't care take me away from some nobody talking about their cancelled show for an hour.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

It's cute you think this still.

I'm not saying there's not still garbage 1-hour shows out there. I'm saying that in my experience, there are *way* more garbage 30-minute shows. Maybe CaptionMax has a bad slate or something, but so far I've spent time cursing way more short episodes than I have long ones.

It may be just my personal preferences. I'm way more annoyed by rapid cuts designed to gently caress up the natural flow of someone speaking and pack more material into a shorter segment than I am, say, difficult audio or rambling idiots. :)

counterfeitsaint posted:

I always imagine people as their AVs, so cherub-like demeanor in this case is particularly amusing. This also makes JKL disturbing.

Hilariously, it's really not that far off. There's at least a passing resemblance between ol' Piney and my dad. (I look nothing like Opie though.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I am a bad person with bad taste so I have this facial hair IRL in order to look as maximum sleazeball as possible so that I can say to the world, "Look out, I work in television."

Plus I'm half-Asian and basically can't grow anything else.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 10, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shima Honnou posted:

I am a bad person with bad taste so I have this facial hair IRL in order to look as maximum sleazeball as possible so that I can say to the world, "Look out, I work in television."

Plus I'm half-Asian and basically can't grow anything else.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has to constantly struggle to not be all like

:smuggo: :smuggo: Yeah, I work in television. Oh, you know, post production stuff. :smuggo: :smuggo:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I like to tell people I'm a very small cog in the Hollywood machine. A cog that's basically mandated by the FCC :v:

Suspicious Lump posted:

What company do you work for/with?

I work for a post house in the Midwest. We're hiring!

fake edit: If anyone sees something of interest in that link, PM me. You'll still have to fill out the clunky form, but I can hand a physical resume to the hiring manager (which is always a plus) and get a referral bonus as well.

real edit: Don't let the location scare you. I'm looking out the window and there's still no snow. The global warming conspiracy is real

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 10, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

real edit: Don't let the location scare you. I'm looking out the window and there's still no snow. The global warming conspiracy is real

This time last year we had like two feet of snow in SW MI, and right now it's 56º out and has only snowed a couple inches once this year so far. Which is sad, I actually like winter, it lets me brag a lot more about not having to leave the house while I work.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nighthand posted:

This time last year we had like two feet of snow in SW MI, and right now it's 56º out and has only snowed a couple inches once this year so far. Which is sad, I actually like winter, it lets me brag a lot more about not having to leave the house while I work.

I'm in Detroit and I had my window open all night because it was too loving hot.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm in Montana and yesterday it was like 55. In December. In the middle of the Rocky Mountains. :psyduck:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has to constantly struggle to not be all like

:smuggo: :smuggo: Yeah, I work in television. Oh, you know, post production stuff. :smuggo: :smuggo:

I'm closing on ten years in the business and I still get a little thrill every time I see a show I worked on come on TV. My biggest "big wheel down at the cracker factory" moment was when three shows I worked on were airing simultaneously on three different channels. I called my mom. :)

Also, one of the guys at the Wal-Mart a couple blocks from my house asked me what I did for a living (after seeing me come in at literally any hour of the day) and explaining my freelancing work completely blew his mind. Now every time I go in there, at some point I hear, "Man, I need your job."

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
"same all-day 10 hour battery life you've come to expect."

I'm just going to leave this quote here as a present, enjoy.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:

Ouchie. Yeah, it's the former. You'd have to be able to regularly download and upload videos varying in size between about 400MB to 1GB.

Yeah, this is the downside of rural "broadband," aka a satellite connection where even the fancy $120 plan gets you a daytime limit of 20gb monthly. It's like living in the dark ages out here!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

It's not just rural. I've got shitbox AT&T dsl that provides me 6 megabits down and 128 kilobits up under ideal circumstances and I'm in a very urban area. With that low an upstream rate, it's super easy to flood, which means uploading a single 30 minute episode can basically lock me out of the Internet for hours if I'm lucky and it doesn't fail halfway through. The state of broadband in this country is just loving dire in a lot of places.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

And here I was thinking my functional 3 meg upload is dire (though I do pay for like 60/10 and get 30/3 so gently caress you Charter).

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I'm looking at moving into a new apartment after the new year, and the very first thing I'm looking at for each property is what kind of internet service they have. I've essentially had the same service since 1999, with the exception being in 2007 when I got the option to upgrade from 3 megabits down to my blazing 6. When I see places in my town are getting the option for fiber I just want to go up someplace high with a rifle.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Some ISPs offer business-grade service that's faster than what's marketed to mere mortals and has no bandwidth caps. But it's intended for small businesses, and you'll pay for it. Prices usually *start* at $70 a month (like, just for the internet. That's not counting any bundled phone and cable stuff.) and can easily hit $250 if you want anything obscenely fast.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The starting small business Charter package where I live was the same advertised speed as what I have now, for like $90 a month. The main speed bottleneck for me is probably using a decade-old modem and much-older wiring. I mean, the coax line from the street passes through three splitters before reaching my modem and there's nothing I can do short of running all new wire.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Today I watched a game of football for more than 5 minutes for the first time in my life.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Didn't you say you're from Detroit? Not surprised. :v:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Lions will never reach the Super Bowl before football is phased out in favor of that one football-like game from Starship Troopers.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hey! When that becomes a real sport I'm going to be all over that...and baseketball.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
No joke any time I get something that requires me to type out basketball I have to always be careful because I type baseketball.

E: Speaking of typing, I think my keyboard is wearing out so I just ordered my first mechanical. I guess I'll see what all the fuss is about with these things when it gets here.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 12, 2015

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I've had a mechanical keyboard for a few months now, and I'm noticing a lot less wear and tear on my hands. I think you'll like it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I got an MS ergonomic $30 keyboard a few months ago, my hands feel way better (once you get used to it.)

It has built in wrist rests, which aren't too soft and pretty nice.

Now if I could just find one of those adjustable keyboard trays for less than a few hundred I'd be in ergonomic heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

That's the exact keyboard I use on a daily basis. My only gripe is that the ink wears off the keys really easily. I usually lose the L, M and surrounding punctuation keys super fast.