Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I made a li'l tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
https://twitter.com/cardamajigs/status/776069552669093888/video/1

this one looks a bit 'ghosty' in the preview, though it might read better in person. figuring out how much animation you can get away with is a challenge with this kind of print

edit: Wolf token!

https://twitter.com/cardamajigs/status/776432311877394432/video/1

Old Man Mozz fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 15, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
A very early look at a 4 way walk!

This was supposed to have the base sprite under it but aseprite messed up with the opacity?? I'm not sure if I'm going to add a pivot to the torso or anything, that might add more work when I do outfits later...

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Hi I made a little witchie

Okay bye

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm really not happy with how this is going :\

Edit: poo poo! wrong loop

Edit:

MORE WORK

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 21, 2016

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Shoehead posted:

I'm really not happy with how this is going :\

Edit: poo poo! wrong loop

Edit:

MORE WORK

i've been keeping an eye on this on twitter, and I really really like how it's shaping up!

been pouring time into making an energy token for kaladesh, should be ready to go now I hope

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Old Man Mozz posted:

i've been keeping an eye on this on twitter, and I really really like how it's shaping up!

been pouring time into making an energy token for kaladesh, should be ready to go now I hope

Oh hey you're Modern Modron!! Ooops!

These were really fun to do and I really want to fully animate them at some point...

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
A lady Mage adventurer.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hmm, too many colors for pixel art, I think you have to look at some more tutorials to get a better grasp on it.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Scoss posted:

A lady Mage adventurer.

These are cool as hell and I really really dig this art style.

Little while ago I started working on a jam game with the very broad/vague theme of 'caves' so I decided to start working on a game about a ninja slicing up other ninjas in a cave.

I never really got anywhere with it (i've always hated making walk cycles, which is why i tend to make things wiggle and wobble along instead of actually walking) but here's some pixel gifs of walk cycles I'm pretty happy with. I wanted one for each sword state (up/down) as well as for each direction (in front / behind)

pro tip: you can hide bad walk cycles easily by covering them up with a heap of particle FX

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What do you guys think is the smallest tile size I could make work on a tiny roguelike with a 4-color palette? Is 5x5 possible?

With small tiles, is it normal to have a sprite convention like "rightmost and topmost pixels are almost always background color" to ensure some semblance of whitespace?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Old Man Mozz posted:

one day someone will launch a better service for them - we are having to get a printer from china to print the cards and they have to be in HUGE orders

I will be shocked if you don't sell out the print run. Have seen them reposted in a number of spots.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Nephzinho posted:

I will be shocked if you don't sell out the print run. Have seen them reposted in a number of spots.

whoah, really? where, if you dont mind me asking :P

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I did another one of these before I'm torn from a working PC for an entire weekend. Click for HUGE

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Waaay too pretentious with the graphics for my project.. only the whole truck left to do :effort:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

taqueso posted:

What do you guys think is the smallest tile size I could make work on a tiny roguelike with a 4-color palette? Is 5x5 possible?

With small tiles, is it normal to have a sprite convention like "rightmost and topmost pixels are almost always background color" to ensure some semblance of whitespace?

It seems plausible. I'd say you just have to prototype it. Considering the small size it shouldn't eat up too much time even if it turns out to be a dead end.

I love your art so please finish that truck.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

I love your art so please finish that truck.
Thanks and done! Now for finishing up the building >_<

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Not quite sure this is the best thread, but it does seem to be aimed at pixel sprites:
https://github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse

Not mine, just thought it was really cool.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Still plugging away at it. Improved Red Riding Hood-alike is on the left. Now has Wolfy and Grandma?! as well.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm super new to programming, and I feel like I'm going to have to learn pixel art so that I can make a game that's not boxes and stolen sprites. I downloaded Piskel and took my first whack at it today. @pixel_daily's prompt was "emojis", so I did that party cone thing because I use it all the time:

I'm so open to any help you might have.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

taqueso posted:

Not quite sure this is the best thread, but it does seem to be aimed at pixel sprites:
https://github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse

Not mine, just thought it was really cool.

Thats very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Relaxodon posted:

Thats very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

It had some discussion on HN

I didn't even notice before that they have it working in 3D too:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Scut posted:

It seems plausible. I'd say you just have to prototype it. Considering the small size it shouldn't eat up too much time even if it turns out to be a dead end.

I couldn't make 5x5 work. I decided to go with 8x8. And it still feels like it will be stupid-hard to make monster sprites. I wanted to avoid making ABCD style alphabet monsters, but I might still have to.

Mockup:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

taqueso posted:

I couldn't make 5x5 work. I decided to go with 8x8. And it still feels like it will be stupid-hard to make monster sprites. I wanted to avoid making ABCD style alphabet monsters, but I might still have to.

Mockup:

Nah, it'll be fine if you go stylised. Behold, the scrub-tier level one dungeon crew! Giant rat, skeleton, goblin, and slime.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Nah, it'll be fine if you go stylised. Behold, the scrub-tier level one dungeon crew! Giant rat, skeleton, goblin, and slime.

I wish I could do that many colors. This is for OctoJam, so I'm stuck with 4 colors max. At least I can pick the 4 colors. I considered making enemies 2 tiles tall, but sprites are XORed so there are some complications dealing with the background and I'm not sure I want to / have time to bother with it.

e: Those are really nice, I wish I could use them. That empty pixel in the middle of the skeleton really makes it work

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 1, 2016

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Well here they are using the palette from your mockup image:

Less detailed but overall still the same.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Still working hard on this game; so much still needs to be done in terms of adding clutter/characters/facing/animations but getting the program set up for it takes priority as soon as I get a few done :negative:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Pixel daily today was Castlevania. I've never played it, but I GISed it, and a spoopy graveyard seemed within my abilities.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

For a techno artist's competition.
Didn't win. However, will use a tweaked version in a game I'm working on.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I made a spooky forest.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mrfart posted:

For a techno artist's competition.
Didn't win. However, will use a tweaked version in a game I'm working on.

Did you send him a jpeg?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Did you send him a jpeg?

No, a png, this is from twitter, why?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

mrfart posted:

No, a png, this is from twitter, why?

Your jpg here is all artifacty, which they all are. There's some way to force twitter to post PNGs as PNGs but it generally just converts anything you post to JPG

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Noyemi K posted:

Still working hard on this game; so much still needs to be done in terms of adding clutter/characters/facing/animations but getting the program set up for it takes priority as soon as I get a few done :negative:

I love this. One question / critique: Is the background wallpaper a placeholder? Right now, the size and spacing of the squares is creating a visual tension where my eye keeps getting drawn away from the game map because they are of similar weight to game elements.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

finished up a graphics package for a local arcade to use through the month of October, pretty happy with how it turned out!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Shoehead posted:

Your jpg here is all artifacty, which they all are. There's some way to force twitter to post PNGs as PNGs but it generally just converts anything you post to JPG

Yeah jpeg is really pretty horrible for this sort of artwork.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Today's Pixel Daily is turtles. I did Squirtle because I've played too much pokemon go lately.

I had a website generate a four color color ramp for me, and I came up with this:

Then I realized I wasn't really using the color ramp correctly, so I redid it.

Much nicer, even if the blacked out shell isn't so satisfying. I bet working on old gameboy games was hard. Man, tomorrow I might use an eight color color ramp, it feels like it'll be easier. :v:

EDIT: hey HEY, just looked at Squirtle's original Game Boy sprite, and man I am REALLY not using color ramps right still. Okay, so that's what tomorrow's for.

Bean fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 3, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bean posted:

Today's Pixel Daily is turtles. I did Squirtle because I've played too much pokemon go lately.

I had a website generate a four color color ramp for me, and I came up with this:

Then I realized I wasn't really using the color ramp correctly, so I redid it.

Much nicer, even if the blacked out shell isn't so satisfying. I bet working on old gameboy games was hard. Man, tomorrow I might use an eight color color ramp, it feels like it'll be easier. :v:

EDIT: hey HEY, just looked at Squirtle's original Game Boy sprite, and man I am REALLY not using color ramps right still. Okay, so that's what tomorrow's for.

you've got the right idea with stopping thinking about them just as colors, and considering their grey values
but don't forget tricks like backlights make objects shiny or wet
or shading areas that are large and would catch light / shadow, all the gb sprites had shadows iirc, i don't remember if it was a standard circle

also dithering will let you blend and get more then 4 colours out of the palette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

:awesome: