Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
So, uh, not to interrupt suit-chat or anything, but what's the best way to list skills you've learned just by loving around in your spare time?

Specifically, say, if a job is looking for someone familiar with C++, but none of my previous jobs have involved programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Edward_Tohr posted:

So, uh, not to interrupt suit-chat or anything, but what's the best way to list skills you've learned just by loving around in your spare time?

Specifically, say, if a job is looking for someone familiar with C++, but none of my previous jobs have involved programming.
Personal/hobby projects are cool and a fine way to learn, but put together a portfolio of projects you've completed with those skills, or the mention is worthless. Anyone can claim any unverifiable thing they want on a resume.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm heading up to an interview next week, and I'm trying to figure out how to word the reason for leaving my last job.

It went like this. I was on a stable job for almost 10yrs but it paid poorly, found a new job and took a risk with contract to hire (much higher pay). It didn't work out and I've been unemployed since, taking care of my daughter, who isn't even a year old now. Contract was 6mos, they ended it around 2mos with zero explanation as far as reason for termination. Was the part of the company I worked with and the policies therein basically unworkable and terrible? Absolutely. My personal opinion of said company has taken a nosedive as a result. Is it wrong to say I wasn't a match culturally with said company? Because that's effectively what it was, on some level. I was basically hated from day one for suggesting best practices that are known and documented.

However, what is a safe way to explain this in a neutral fashion? Should I just explain they ended the contract early and I have been taking care of my daughter?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I have a kinda atypical resume question. I'm graduating school in a few weeks and have already gotten a full time job that I'll be starting in like 6 months, and I've also committed to doing 3 months of full time volunteer work before I will start work. The difficulty comes in that I'm currently applying for deferred entry grad school, where I'd apply now and start in a few years. I want to somehow include the fact that I do have a full time job offer and this volunteer experience on my resume, but I'm not sure how to do it given that I haven't actually started it yet. Should I include it, and if so is there any preferred format for 'future experiences' or something?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I'm heading up to an interview next week, and I'm trying to figure out how to word the reason for leaving my last job.

It went like this. I was on a stable job for almost 10yrs but it paid poorly, found a new job and took a risk with contract to hire (much higher pay). It didn't work out and I've been unemployed since, taking care of my daughter, who isn't even a year old now. Contract was 6mos, they ended it around 2mos with zero explanation as far as reason for termination. Was the part of the company I worked with and the policies therein basically unworkable and terrible? Absolutely. My personal opinion of said company has taken a nosedive as a result. Is it wrong to say I wasn't a match culturally with said company? Because that's effectively what it was, on some level. I was basically hated from day one for suggesting best practices that are known and documented.

However, what is a safe way to explain this in a neutral fashion? Should I just explain they ended the contract early and I have been taking care of my daughter?
First aside: one thing that stood out to me here is that if you were put in a position where you had to debate best practices with company employees about how you were allowed to do your work, either a) you were overstepping your work into theirs or b) you do not fit the legal definition of a contractor and may have a claim against your former employer. In the case of the latter, it's not much, but you may be owed at least the employer's portion of your FICA taxes over that period if the government believes you were misclassified as 1099 instead of W-2.

Before getting into your specific question: one thing that I've learned from the experiences of lots of different places over the past few years is that there is no such thing as best practice. That phrase means that some decision was a good idea for someone, at some point, with some specific set of goals and constraints. It's a phrase for vendors to use when describing a sensible default configuration for their systems, but as a practitioner you should never, ever use it when debating implementation details with other practitioners. If something is a better idea than what currently exists or what's being proposed, be really good at explaining why it's important to change (and then why it's better). But most importantly, try to have an ear for context about why things are bad, even if the reason for things being bad is "our project manager is an rear end in a top hat who scheduled us too tight and we don't have time to look at this right now, so we're going to throw five times as much hardware at it to stay on schedule."

That said, I've worked with some really toxic assholes who refuse to believe that anything other than their broken understanding of a thing is possibly correct, much less a better idea, and their fragile egos treat every educated counterpoint as a challenge. If you were working alongside them, I feel for you. There's nothing that can be done to change their minds besides putting their feet to the fire and hoping they realize that they're the source of their inevitable project failure. They probably won't.

Onto your question: "culture fit" is bullshit; it's a phrase people use to justify using their gut feelings to make decisions about people. In the year 2015 I would expect candidates to have the introspection and retrospection to be able to tell me more definitively what kinds of interaction problems existed that made them a poor fit for the company they were at, especially if they were terminated. If you didn't have the ability to make the changes you were hired to make without hitting endless roadblocks, say so. If the company was unnecessarily risk-averse despite hiring you to do things that required risk tolerance, say so. If you couldn't deal with their change management processes and need an environment where it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, especially for trivial, low-risk changes, say that. "Culture fit" is absolutely meaningless and worthless. You are literally saying "I did not get along with everyone else" and providing no further context or information.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Quandary posted:

I have a kinda atypical resume question. I'm graduating school in a few weeks and have already gotten a full time job that I'll be starting in like 6 months, and I've also committed to doing 3 months of full time volunteer work before I will start work. The difficulty comes in that I'm currently applying for deferred entry grad school, where I'd apply now and start in a few years. I want to somehow include the fact that I do have a full time job offer and this volunteer experience on my resume, but I'm not sure how to do it given that I haven't actually started it yet. Should I include it, and if so is there any preferred format for 'future experiences' or something?
The key question re: your future job: have you signed papers?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Thank you. This is genuinely helpful. I'd tend to agree about best practices. It was things where MS has a specific and obvious basic guideline - use 2 servers minimum to do monitoring. The company had under-budgeted, only provided one under-provisioned server and said "let's use this for production!". To put it accurately, they hosed up before I even started at the company and I thought they wanted me to come in and help provide them guidelines for improvement. This isn't me saying "I know what's best", it was me going "were you aware MS suggests 2 servers?" and them refusing to hear it from me, but listening to the exact same phrase verbatim from someone else they hired the same day to do what I thought I had been hired for.

Culture fit was the bullshit they gave me, I didn't really believe it myself. I just wasn't sure how quoting what the employer said matters vs explaining it, which resonates more with what you're saying. What it was is called in real world is "I suggested things that could be improved and they hated me for it". It was a "do as I say, not as I do" company that didn't like challenging the status quo at all, and going through anyone other than direct managers to hand up issues was extremely taboo. They verbatim told me to stop overachieving while looking me in the face, multiple times. All while being told to do busy work that only existed to look busy, which I did anyway even if I didn't agree with it. It felt like bullshit to me, and I'm pretty sure it was.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

The key question re: your future job: have you signed papers?

Yep. Papers signed, background check passed, I have a start date and everything. I just don't start for quite a while due to just graduating from school.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

notwithoutmyanus posted:

"I took a contract-to-hire position that was a step-up in responsibility, but despite successfully completing (addressing, managing, etc....) the project, they were unable to offer me a full-time position."

It's a complete and accurate answer that's perfectly acceptable and explains why you're looking for a new job. There's no way to come off it looking completely spotless. But if the rest of your application is baller, they'll look past it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Quandary posted:

Yep. Papers signed, background check passed, I have a start date and everything. I just don't start for quite a while due to just graduating from school.
Great! Then it's absolutely acceptable to put it on, with language like "expected start date" instead of the date range you worked. If you hadn't done all the paperwork, the concern would be the school calling to perform employment verification, and HR having no file for you.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Thank you. This is genuinely helpful. I'd tend to agree about best practices. It was things where MS has a specific and obvious basic guideline - use 2 servers minimum to do monitoring. The company had under-budgeted, only provided one under-provisioned server and said "let's use this for production!". To put it accurately, they hosed up before I even started at the company and I thought they wanted me to come in and help provide them guidelines for improvement. This isn't me saying "I know what's best", it was me going "were you aware MS suggests 2 servers?" and them refusing to hear it from me, but listening to the exact same phrase verbatim from someone else they hired the same day to do what I thought I had been hired for.

Culture fit was the bullshit they gave me, I didn't really believe it myself. I just wasn't sure how quoting what the employer said matters vs explaining it, which resonates more with what you're saying. What it was is called in real world is "I suggested things that could be improved and they hated me for it". It was a "do as I say, not as I do" company that didn't like challenging the status quo at all, and going through anyone other than direct managers to hand up issues was extremely taboo. They verbatim told me to stop overachieving while looking me in the face, multiple times. All while being told to do busy work that only existed to look busy, which I did anyway even if I didn't agree with it. It felt like bullshit to me, and I'm pretty sure it was.
That's a terrible situation. It's pretty clear you were brought in so someone could check a box and say that the company had an external auditor come in, regardless of whether they earnestly listened to any of your recommendations. I hope your daughter was able to enjoy and benefit from your presence at home, at least.

Dik Hz posted:

"I took a contract-to-hire position that was a step-up in responsibility, but despite successfully completing (addressing, managing, etc....) the project, they were unable to offer me a full-time position."

It's a complete and accurate answer that's perfectly acceptable and explains why you're looking for a new job. There's no way to come off it looking completely spotless. But if the rest of your application is baller, they'll look past it.
This is great phrasing.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a thing where a resume is Too Good, in regards to retail? My sister is applying as a tech support/repair person at a retail place, and she's certified to repair the stuff and has actually worked as the Lead of the repair center in her university. Everyone who's looked at it said it was a good resume, consise, and has plenty of retail-oriented buzz words like "turnaround time" "building positive relationships" "team" etc. She never finished her undergrad and is still working on it, but wants to work and do school part-time.

She's definitely qualifies for the position but my and her worry is that they'll look at it, see her good employment history and education, go "this person will get hired elsewhere/want to quit once they inevitably find a better job" and throw out her resume.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

Is there a thing where a resume is Too Good, in regards to retail? My sister is applying as a tech support/repair person at a retail place, and she's certified to repair the stuff and has actually worked as the Lead of the repair center in her university. Everyone who's looked at it said it was a good resume, consise, and has plenty of retail-oriented buzz words like "turnaround time" "building positive relationships" "team" etc. She never finished her undergrad and is still working on it, but wants to work and do school part-time.

She's definitely qualifies for the position but my and her worry is that they'll look at it, see her good employment history and education, go "this person will get hired elsewhere/want to quit once they inevitably find a better job" and throw out her resume.
They'd probably be doing her a favor if they did. Turnaround in retail PC repair is so bad that they probably don't care one way or the other, and the entire job is basically McDonald's-mechanized to the point where there's no autonomy and no learning. Unless she has no intention of continuing this line of work after graduating, she should probably apply at an MSP or something instead.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Make sure she's clear on what kind of a position it is. With a lot of retail "computer repair" positions, they're actually sales in disguise. 99.9% of the time they aren't going to give a poo poo about your computer repair experience because you'll never use it. They'll tell you it's a computer support position, but it isn't.

I worked as a "tech" at Staples for almost a year back in 2012. It was sold to me as a tech position, the interview was all about my repair experience, then once I was hired it was revealed to me I would do nothing but sell lovely warranties and Norton antivirus on bargain bin laptops. The only time I touched a computer was when one was brought in for repairs, so I could sell wildly overpriced services to old people.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I've been going back and forth with a department director for a position I'm very interested in. The last email I got was on Friday, asking a few questions and when we could do a phone interview. I wrote a response and gave a few interview times.

And now... Nothing. Radio silence. Should I send a follow up email or just let it go? Help. This is worse than dating.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

Vulture Culture is dead on. Retail pc repair is honestly not an ideal job with that skillset. She's overqualified. Retail computer support is best buy geek squad, staples, all the things your parents and grandparents pay. Skill wise that can only handle up to getting a+ certification and entry level jobs at maximum.

Being able to do that stuff qualifies as a CJ (computer janitor) for most corporate jobs, assuming this is US based - usually worded as desktop support/IT support analyst/IT analyst and usually not helpdesk. That usually will include better pay and paying for schooling at most companies - typical IT perks.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Bitchkrieg posted:

I've been going back and forth with a department director for a position I'm very interested in. The last email I got was on Friday, asking a few questions and when we could do a phone interview. I wrote a response and gave a few interview times.

And now... Nothing. Radio silence. Should I send a follow up email or just let it go? Help. This is worse than dating.

Absolutely.

"Hey, Mr Director, I wanted to follow up on our conversation about your position. When would you have some free time to discuss the position in greater detail?"

Or something short, sweet, and polite like that...

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Edit: got some great advice from Badsamaritan and vulture. Gonna polish it over the weekend. Badsamaritan, I probably will take you up on your offer when I worked on it a bit. Thanks guys.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 10, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

McCloud posted:

Hey Guys, I want your input on my CV. I'm a clinical laboratory scientist and am trying to refine my CV. I have some difficulty with conveying my experience in a way that does not sound clichè ( I work great in teams!) but still nonetheless are true.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laOyDyfiIEEvvSpPOCxFELDqW8hKq1r-B7zzZjNiteg/edit?pli=1
There's typos and spelling errors all over the place that should be corrected as a first step. Spell check!

For all the trite advice people give about compelling writing, it comes down to this: your resume needs to be about content first. If something sounds cliche on a resume, it's almost always because you're breaking the cardinal rule of resume-writing: show, don't tell. Anyone can claim any kind of ridiculous, unverifiable poo poo they want about their personality. Forget about honesty, why should a hiring manager trust you to be even accurate at self-assessing your strengths? For everything you think about telling a hiring manager about yourself, think about how you've demonstrated that in the workplace instead. Then, remove the vague claim and write the other thing down. It's concrete and real. You're talking about your accomplishments instead of rambling about what you like about yourself when you look in the mirror.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 10, 2015

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

McCloud posted:

Hey Guys, I want your input on my CV. I'm a clinical laboratory scientist and am trying to refine my CV. I have some difficulty with conveying my experience in a way that does not sound clichè ( I work great in teams!) but still nonetheless are true.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laOyDyfiIEEvvSpPOCxFELDqW8hKq1r-B7zzZjNiteg/edit?pli=1

Hey so I work as a CLS too, and have had a lot of luck with my CV. It's hard to find job resources for our field, since we're pretty invisible, but you really need to work on this resume. I got crickets when I've run it by people in the past so I'm going to overcompensate and tell you a lot.

First, get rid of the typos and grammatical errors. Do you speak English as a second language? It's not a problem in the lab usually, but your resume sets off alarm bells that there might be communication issues OR you don't care about details at all which is not good for lab people.

Second, if you have any certifications like ASCP or a state/national license, put it front and center. Any professional associations or professional acknowledgements/awards, pop those in too. Yes, I know they tend to rarely award or recognize people in our field.

I'd suggest placing your hospital experience toward the top of the resume, after any credentials. This is what managers really care about. Things to address- how big is the hospital or the lab? Do you have an estimate as to the number of samples per day or year? "High-volume, fast paced" work environment? If you worked evening or night shift, were you unsupervised or minimally supervised? Did you get any professional feedback for TAT percentages? (Call the machine errors thing 'troubleshooting' unless you were working on statistical errors, in which case you need to make that a bullet point). Did you run your own QC, call/document your critical values or have any additional responsibilities with documentation? Really examine each of these bullet points for ways to phrase things better. A lab manager knows the basic job of a lab tech, so just touch on that before talking about specifics. Also put your job title in the section header.

Third, rework that professional strengths thing. This section reads like a job description, and not in a good way. A lot of it is filler that comes with stating you have a bachelors in medical science and have held a job. Also, everyone "Know [sic] the importance of maintaining and adding to a positive atmosphere", but it's junk in a resume. These personality things will come across in an interview if it's not BS. I've worked at a very dysfunctional lab and a good one, and I know what you mean but a resume is not the place.

On mine, after a year of experience in a hospital, I put a "Skills and Equipment" section, with bullet points for lab software and instruments that I was trained on. I put this section towards the bottom of the page, since it's really just gravy if the places have the same LIS or machines.

Can you say anything positive about your education like an award or GPA? You can collapse the section a little and put a "relevant coursework" bullet point with the pharmacology (please spell this right if you include it), heme, and genetics courses.

PM me if you have any additional questions. I don't know what hiring is like in your area of the country, but here the market isn't too bad for getting hired although the wages haven't gone up yet. PROOFREAD, neaten up the resume, make it more visually appealing, and you shouldn't have too much trouble with a few years of core lab experience unless you're aiming for a M-F specialty lab. (If you are, sorry, they're getting taken by internal candidates with 20yrs experience who want to half-rear end it all day erry day).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Vulture Culture is dead on. Retail pc repair is honestly not an ideal job with that skillset. She's overqualified. Retail computer support is best buy geek squad, staples, all the things your parents and grandparents pay. Skill wise that can only handle up to getting a+ certification and entry level jobs at maximum.

Being able to do that stuff qualifies as a CJ (computer janitor) for most corporate jobs, assuming this is US based - usually worded as desktop support/IT support analyst/IT analyst and usually not helpdesk. That usually will include better pay and paying for schooling at most companies - typical IT perks.

So she should look into corporate IT things even though she doesn't have a degree in IT? Also her certification is currently out of date (let it lapse because she left the university job due to health stuff). Another question is that she technically has a disability (not physical) and the application asked if she had one, she said no, but is that the best option or should she say she does? She figured retail (and probably other places) would throw her resume away if she said she had a disability which I think is true, since retail is evil.

Vulture Culture posted:

They'd probably be doing her a favor if they did. Turnaround in retail PC repair is so bad that they probably don't care one way or the other, and the entire job is basically McDonald's-mechanized to the point where there's no autonomy and no learning. Unless she has no intention of continuing this line of work after graduating, she should probably apply at an MSP or something instead.

What's an MSP?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

So she should look into corporate IT things even though she doesn't have a degree in IT? Also her certification is currently out of date (let it lapse because she left the university job due to health stuff). Another question is that she technically has a disability (not physical) and the application asked if she had one, she said no, but is that the best option or should she say she does? She figured retail (and probably other places) would throw her resume away if she said she had a disability which I think is true, since retail is evil.
Experience trumps degree, which is largely irrelevant for entry-level computer janitor work anyway. And an expired certification is better than no certification, as long as it's something relevant like an A+.

Assuming you're in the United States: under the ADA, employers aren't allowed to discriminate on the basis of disability. In almost all cases, within medium to large companies, a hiring manager won't see the application anyway, just the relevant portions (resume, etc.) that are forwarded over from HR. Sometimes, job postings will include lines like "must be able to lift 40 pounds" because it's considered reasonable under the law to exclude candidates who don't meet the stated job requirements, as opposed to making an ad-hoc decision after they walk in the door. In these cases, the application will ask the candidate to affirm that they can meet the physical requirements stated in the job posting; it's not their business what specific disabilities anyone has in these cases, or in what way they may impair someone's ability to do their job. Asking for any other reason is only a liability to the company in the event that they get sued over ADA discrimination.

The disabilities portion of the application largely exists because the ADA also requires employers to make reasonable accommodations for employees both on the job and in the interview process. For the interview portion, for example, if someone is blind, a reasonable accommodation would be to give a skills test in braille. For the job portion, it protects employers from ADA complaints that they did not make reasonable accommodations for a disability when that disability was not disclosed in the first place. In general, if an applicant does not need a special accommodation, there's no harm in just leaving this blank.

Thin Privilege posted:

What's an MSP?
Managed Service Provider, those lovely companies who provide outsourced IT services to companies who are either a) too small to staff their own in-house IT or b) convinced a company with a broader spread of skills can do it better. They can be rough places to work, but not as bad as retail, and the opportunities for growth are substantially better.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 13, 2015

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

There's typos and spelling errors all over the place that should be corrected as a first step. Spell check!

For all the trite advice people give about compelling writing, it comes down to this: your resume needs to be about content first. If something sounds cliche on a resume, it's almost always because you're breaking the cardinal rule of resume-writing: show, don't tell. Anyone can claim any kind of ridiculous, unverifiable poo poo they want about their personality. Forget about honesty, why should a hiring manager trust you to be even accurate at self-assessing your strengths? For everything you think about telling a hiring manager about yourself, think about how you've demonstrated that in the workplace instead. Then, remove the vague claim and write the other thing down. It's concrete and real. You're talking about your accomplishments instead of rambling about what you like about yourself when you look in the mirror.

Right, I've finally had some time to sit down with my CV again, and there's a problem that I have, and that is that it's way easier for me to write something along the lines of "Can manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment" than it is to say, for instance "I know what samples to prioritize when our sorting instrument is on the fritz, our analyzing instruments have bad QC's and our network is down, and can give my workmates new instructions to follow until I fix the problems all the while taking care of said samples.", and "Understand the importance of maintaining and adding to a positive atmosphere" sounds trite but I can't really put in "have enough social competence to not piss of my workmates and have shouting matches with them in the middle of the lab".
It's really difficult for me to write something tangible because I can't say something like "Increased sales by 6%" or show off a portfolio. It's not that I'm bad at my job, on the contrary, but it's that the very nature of this job I don't have many tangible accomplishments.

it's so maddening because I know that a lot of what I have in my CV sounds like hollow generic filler but without getting into specific scenarios that's what I've got.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

McCloud posted:

Right, I've finally had some time to sit down with my CV again, and there's a problem that I have, and that is that it's way easier for me to write something along the lines of "Can manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment" than it is to say, for instance "I know what samples to prioritize when our sorting instrument is on the fritz, our analyzing instruments have bad QC's and our network is down, and can give my workmates new instructions to follow until I fix the problems all the while taking care of said samples.", and "Understand the importance of maintaining and adding to a positive atmosphere" sounds trite but I can't really put in "have enough social competence to not piss of my workmates and have shouting matches with them in the middle of the lab".
It's really difficult for me to write something tangible because I can't say something like "Increased sales by 6%" or show off a portfolio. It's not that I'm bad at my job, on the contrary, but it's that the very nature of this job I don't have many tangible accomplishments.

it's so maddening because I know that a lot of what I have in my CV sounds like hollow generic filler but without getting into specific scenarios that's what I've got.
That's the kind of stuff that's all really important but is better heard from one of your professional references than from you, if there's any way you can swing it. I won't say that kind of thing is totally worthless on a resume -- it's helpful to see that a candidate has at least figured out what skills they think are important to the position, even if they might be lying through their teeth about having them.

I'd like to comment on your resume proper, but it's currently private and making me request access. Would you mind setting it public for us?

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
HR told me my interview is with Ms Team-Manager but I might also briefly meet Mr Head-Of-Department at the end.

Could I interpret not meeting the other guy as Ms Team-Manager deciding I wasn't going to be hired me so no point? Or am I reading too much into it and he was actually busy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It could be either but I wouldn't read too much in to it since department heads tend to be Quite Busy.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I started at a company in August and what is probably (I will know on Friday) happening is that my department is getting absorbed into the university we had been partnering with starting in January. My role would be almost exactly the same over there: title, job responsibilities, etc, however I'd be working 100% remote. For a number of reasons I'm going to be looking for other jobs. For the sake of not having a 1-month job on my resume, can I lump the positions under one title? I feel like it'd be easier to explain a single 6-7 month position rather than a 5-month job and a 1-month job making it look like I'm a job-hopper.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

That's the kind of stuff that's all really important but is better heard from one of your professional references than from you, if there's any way you can swing it. I won't say that kind of thing is totally worthless on a resume -- it's helpful to see that a candidate has at least figured out what skills they think are important to the position, even if they might be lying through their teeth about having them.

I'd like to comment on your resume proper, but it's currently private and making me request access. Would you mind setting it public for us?

Yeah, I'd be happy to.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-x7lrS3sTQhFNF2A2l6EeMm0OjFStdrFN5vvUiIBKpg

I made some changes after consulting Bad Samaritan, and ran it through a spell check. Still not happy with it but it's way better than the earlier version.. I put a heavier emphasis on the machines I work with, since it's relevant for the job i'm hunting for. Obviously the layout needs some work, but I can work on that once the basics are satisfactory.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I have an interview on Thursday and the HR lady called me today to talk about the interview process. She warned me to be ready to answer a question along the lines of "Why should we hire you?" What kind of thing are they looking for here? Like what can I provide to the company? Why do I want to work there? Something else?

She has basically given me two days to think of a good answer, so I know I shouldn't try bullshitting it. Those kinds of questions always trip me up though.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Honestly, I would take the question at face value and answer it with your gut reaction. What do you bring to the table? Why are you better than other candidates and why would you be good at the job?

Your answer could involve your work history, education, interests, personality, skillsets, etc.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I am attending an in person interview tomorrow, this will be my third interview. The previous two were purely technical and conducted remotely including a two hour practical lab, I passed both to attain this third and final interview.

This will be my second in person interview in just shy of a decade. The first was about a month and a half ago with a different organisation. In that case I blitzed the technical interviews but they found me "Too nervous" and "restless"
and did not think I would be a good fit personality wise within the team at this time.

Its a long shot but I was wondering if anyone here has experience with Anxiety/OCD and the interviewing process and might like to share potentially helpful advice or techniques I could use to try and remain as calm and as in
control as possible. I am medicated and I see a professional at least once a week at the moment to keep everything in check however I still struggle to control my "issues" I guess you could say in newer situations. My anxiety
begins to rise the day before and tends to peak during such situations.

The issue is I am not like this at all once I am actually working and engaged day to day as I adapt and learn to reassure myself of my environment and what not.

Its a long bow to draw but I have struggled in these situations before and I am trying to do everything I can to avoid letting this affect my ability to prove myself. While I continually excel in the technical/physical labs it is my anxiety
that continues to let me down as I am unable to display the confidence employers are looking for because I feel anything but confident, in fact I tend to go in feeling as though I am the lowest possible scum on the planet they could
be interviewing and I am in fact pretty sure at this point I continue to be my own worst enemy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sweet merciful jesus, I just got a mail from someone at the company I want to work with, asking for my CV and a letter of interest amd that they will contact me in a few days to discuss my application., my CV is still a mess, it's 11 am here, and I'm wondering how long I have before sending it. Can I wait until tomorrow? Should I send it before the end of the work day?

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

McCloud posted:

Sweet merciful jesus, I just got a mail from someone at the company I want to work with, asking for my CV and a letter of interest amd that they will contact me in a few days to discuss my application., my CV is still a mess, it's 11 am here, and I'm wondering how long I have before sending it. Can I wait until tomorrow? Should I send it before the end of the work day?

Next work day would likely be fine. Do it in the morning if you want to be cautious.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
After a phone interview, I didn't hear back from the company for a while. Turns out they were undergoing some internal changes, and wanted to wait for an end of year review of budgets before moving forward. My HR contact said she'd get back to me in a month or two. It's been a little over a month. Any harm in emailing, asking if there's an update?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Coco13 posted:

After a phone interview, I didn't hear back from the company for a while. Turns out they were undergoing some internal changes, and wanted to wait for an end of year review of budgets before moving forward. My HR contact said she'd get back to me in a month or two. It's been a little over a month. Any harm in emailing, asking if there's an update?

No harm at all, back when I was in a position where hiring others was a part of my duties there was a few times I had managed to miss contacting someone with either a positive or a negative response
and would often appreciate (and a little ashamed at myself) that a candidate was interested enough to follow up.

It was only annoying in cases where you would get a call 20 minutes after they walked out of the building after you had already told them it would be a few days.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Coco13 posted:

I agree with insidius. Just don't be a pest about it if they don't get back to you right away. If they're going through internal changes, it might be your email gets forwarded to manager X who has to send it to HR person Y who has to check in with her boss Z first before responding and it'll take a bit for a response.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I had an on-site interview today for a position and this thread - from honing my resume to preparing for the interview - has been instrumental. Before I left, the department director was pretty clear I would get an offer: I got an informal one this afternoon, and expect a formal one tomorrow.

I'm really shifting the focus of my career path and felt the guidance here (and the career path thread!) was a great help. The salary negotiation tips here and in the interviewing discussion thread were excellent; I got the figure I asked for and felt very in control through the whole process.

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
I've had ten interviews so far and none of lead to a job. The most recent gave me a face-to-face which is the furthest stage I've got so far apart from where F2F was the first stage. They were based so far away that I had to stay a night in a hotel and they told me a week later emailed so say I wasn't successful due to lack of experience but didn't go into specifics. I don't get why they gave me an interview if the reason they didn't want me is for something they could have found on my CV. A previous telephone interview also quoted lack of experience as the reason for being unsuccessful.

Is 'lack of experience' just HR speak for they don't want to tell me the real reason.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

stickykeys posted:

I've had ten interviews so far and none of lead to a job. The most recent gave me a face-to-face which is the furthest stage I've got so far apart from where F2F was the first stage. They were based so far away that I had to stay a night in a hotel and they told me a week later emailed so say I wasn't successful due to lack of experience but didn't go into specifics. I don't get why they gave me an interview if the reason they didn't want me is for something they could have found on my CV. A previous telephone interview also quoted lack of experience as the reason for being unsuccessful.

Is 'lack of experience' just HR speak for they don't want to tell me the real reason.

At least you got reasons. All I ever get is "we're going with other candidates" after the five interviews I've had in the last two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015

ShadowedFlames posted:

At least you got reasons. All I ever get is "we're going with other candidates" after the five interviews I've had in the last two months.

I've had that about half the time, even internal where I'm supposed to get proper feedback. Other feedback I've had
1. I told them career goals for a job I wasn't being interviewed for (it was the same industry and I thought it was a reasonable long term goal but no...)
2. Vague answers (I'm quite a private person which probably doesn't help me get a job)
3. Didn't present myself or articulate well (ouch, but the kind of honest feedback that I'm looking for)
4. Only understood the basics of the project methodology they use (really not happy because I did hours of research and i got half a sentence out before they asked me another question)
5. Didn't have much opinion about the company's website (I did but didn't say all of them)

stickykeys fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 22, 2015