Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think giving my profile a custom name screwed that up, couldn't get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

What a strange new world I've woken up to today.
A world where I can't buy Tomb Raider on PC, but I can buy Metal Gear Solid!
Guess who's getting my money then.

:gaben:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I enjoyed Path of Exile would I enjoy Marvel Heroes, or does it play much differently?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

If I enjoyed Path of Exile would I enjoy Marvel Heroes, or does it play much differently?

Marvel Heroes is a lot easier for the most part. It also doesn't have the silly giant skill tree of passives.

However, I do find the combat a LOT more fun. PoE's kind of just bored me.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Whatever anyone answers with, don't pick Punisher as your starter unless you hate yourself or like working harder than everyone else for average damage.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Man I can't believe Dead Rising 3 is an open world game with a time limit like all the previous games? And no legit endless sandbox mode?

Guess I'll stick with DR2:OTR for now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well that doesn't sound too bad then. PoE was pretty overwhelming at first so I guess it'll be nice to switch down a gear.

A Bystander posted:

Whatever anyone answers with, don't pick Punisher as your starter unless you hate yourself or like working harder than everyone else for average damage.

The Punisher's my home boy, dawg. :colbert:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

A Bystander posted:

Just choose Luke Cage for maximum Blacksploitation.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sober posted:

Man I can't believe Dead Rising 3 is an open world game with a time limit like all the previous games? And no legit endless sandbox mode?

I honestly forget what their explanation for that was but I'm pretty sure it was dumb

J
Jun 10, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

I like both for different reasons. MH is far easier and more accessible, for one. I play PoE when I feel like having a challenging but rewarding game where I have to think ahead about what I'm doing both while playing and building my dude. In MH I can shut my brain off and zoom around really fast and cause lots of explosions in a fun universe.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Well that doesn't sound too bad then. PoE was pretty overwhelming at first so I guess it'll be nice to switch down a gear.

The Punisher's my home boy, dawg. :colbert:

In that case, avoid his melee skills since they can't compete with his other stuff, like his mines and flamethrower.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sober posted:

I thought Dead Rising 3 removed or at least toned down the time limit.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I missed all the Dishonored talk, but does anyone have a link to a youtube video from it where a person tossed their unconscious target off a roof, used Time Stop and teleport to beat them to the ground, caught them before they would impact, then finished the mission because he landed right beside the exit point?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

S.D. posted:

I missed all the Dishonored talk, but does anyone have a link to a youtube video from it where a person tossed their unconscious target off a roof, used Time Stop and teleport to beat them to the ground, caught them before they would impact, then finished the mission because he landed right beside the exit point?

I need this too

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sober posted:

It doesn't have a time limit unless you play in Nightmare mode. Or rather it has a three day time limit, but it's actually about 40-50 hours before the game ends, and if you reach the end of the "limit" it says "Oh whoops, sorry you are a bad player!" and gives you another 20 hours ( technically it "sends you back" 20 hours, but you keep everything you unlocked/psychopaths beaten/survivors saved. ).

Also the psychopaths/story beats aren't tied to the limit anymore. The only thing that is is the bombing on the last day, and if you can get out in time. You can do the psychopaths/survivors whenever you feel like it, so if you want, you can save them all for the last hour then just do everything at once.

It's also barely got survivors in it, because ya'll hated them. It's literally just an open world you can run around in to make combo weapons and kill lots of zombies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acquire Currency! posted:

I need this too

same

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

RickDaedalus posted:

The Daily Deal is Always Sometimes Monsters. Has anyone here played it? I'd like to know a little more about it before picking it up. It looks pretty interesting.

I heard good things about it. But there is a demo now that you could try.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

S.D. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwzgCp9tDg

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Goddamn. Now that's thinking with portals. Hahaha.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks to the upstanding Pink Freud for randomly sending me the undoubtedly awesome Fester Mudd adventure game. Time to get my Freddy Pharkas retro on!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any preference to KB&M vs controller for Dishonored or is it pretty much preference? If controller works I may use that to test Steam streaming to my new media pc thingy :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I prefer K/M. I liked the accuracy when it came to blinking and using sleep darts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lance Streetman posted:

I prefer K/M. I liked the accuracy when it came to blinking and using sleep darts.
Me too.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Lance Streetman posted:

How else are you going to map in lean forward?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

drat, I played through Dishonored all stealthy because I can't resist when a game gives me the option, but all the videos people have been linking lately are making me want to replay as a mass murderer going for style kills.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

404notfound posted:

drat, I played through Dishonored all stealthy because I can't resist when a game gives me the option, but all the videos people have been linking lately are making me want to replay as a mass murderer going for style kills.

it's almost two different games. You should replay it.

Plan out your kills with tools, too, like ninja version of Punisher. Don't just go in swords swinging.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

404notfound posted:

Same here. I really enjoyed my playthrough and I was mostly stealthy and relied on avoiding people, but then I watch videos like this and realize just how much ridiculous nonsense I could have been experimenting with.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just started doing that yesterday, and it's pretty hilarious fun. Blinking past a group of three dudes rushing you to immediately knife them all in the throat one after the other, jumping between rooftops like a demented, murderous flea, it's great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So I thought Marlow Briggs was pretty fun, and then I got the whip sword and had a 368 hit combo :stare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quest For Glory II posted:

So I thought Marlow Briggs was pretty fun, and then I got the whip sword and had a 368 hit combo :stare:

Steve Blum and whoever voices Long had a lot of fun voice acting in this game. It's a lot of fun in general except some of the platforming is pretty hit or miss. I got it for a buck in the steam sale and it's been really great value.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Orv posted:

I just started doing that yesterday, and it's pretty hilarious fun. Blinking past a group of three dudes rushing you to immediately knife them all in the throat one after the other, jumping between rooftops like a demented, murderous flea, it's great.

Sadly I don't think fast enough to pull poo poo like this off. Every time I try to pull off stylish stuff in games I inevitably end up having to restart 'cause I hosed it up and it was messy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Steve Blum and whoever voices Long had a lot of fun voice acting in this game. It's a lot of fun in general except some of the platforming is pretty hit or miss. I got it for a buck in the steam sale and it's been really great value.
It's amazing value for a buck, it's basically a summer blockbuster.

It's one of the few games where dying causes your sidekick to get mad at you. When you fall to your death the mask says things like "What happened?! Did you think you saw some enemies down there"

e: Also I'm playing Prince of Persia 08 and enjoying it, it does have two major flaws though: combat takes too long, and whose bright idea was this Banjo-Kazooie-esque collecting poo poo. Collect 5 billion light seeds to access the next place!! Come ON guys

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 14, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xachariah posted:

Sadly I don't think fast enough to pull poo poo like this off. Every time I try to pull off stylish stuff in games I inevitably end up having to restart 'cause I hosed it up and it was messy.

There's no real shame in being a bumbling Corvo either. I played through with no reloads once, which led to me teleporting on top of lampposts a lot so they can only throw stones at me while I try figure a way out of my idiotic situation.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
:words: incoming.

So I've started playing Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages after neglecting it for so long. Why hasn't anyone scolded me harshly for not playing it before? :mad: This game is amazing.

I remember reading about it a while back. Looked at screenshots. Meh. Looked at videos. Same reaction. Looks like your average 2D twin-stick shooter except everyone talking about how insane the customization in this one gets. Okay.

The game starts with you escaping a Star Wars-esque tunnel while a wall of flame licks your butt with an AI chip that's implanted in your brain telling you what to do. Eh, that doesn't sound so amazing but compared to most games it's actually interesting to read and well-written. Keep reading.

The story is that you don't remember who you are and your most pressing concern is getting another ship since yours is going to die soon. Then you find a cruiser and take it from those pesky owners. You can imagine that someone somewhere isn't going to be happy about that and so the game continues.

The first missions (a lot of them, actually) serve as a tutorial that introduces you to the basic flight mechanics (which are pleasantly complex) and ship types (standard RPG classes somewhat hilariously transplanted into a fairly interesting space setting). However, you can skip all those and try a shorted tutorial if you don't feel like messing around and want to go play with the big kids. I do not recommend that.

Because once the starting galaxy is behind you, the game opens up (more like explodes with options) and you get to do research, buy new hulls, equipment and so on. Your standard space game fare. But the thing is, there's zingillion things to try and buy and research. Luckily you don't feel that overwhelmed since you hopefully played through the tutorial without having any of the myriad of choices piled upon you but instead being introduced one by one.

Seems like there's a healthy dose of campaign missions to go and the combat itself is really well done unlike a lot of other space shooters. On top of that, you can try multiplayer or some of the mini-games which can net you a fair amount of plex (in-game currency) and it also speeds up research.

I've only played 10 hours but I'm really liking the game so far. I bet a lot of people got it in a bundle like me and never got around to playing so this is me telling you GO PLAY IT.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bionic Heart

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nooooooo!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's by Winter Wolves, of course it's terrible. Not that it'd stop lonely idiots from buying it, but still, the point remains.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Now where are the actual good visual novels, Gabe? :argh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Long Live the Queen is actually pretty decent and is surprisingly complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And so is Magical Diary. I also like the Sunrider beta access, but mostly because it has mechs. It has some naughty scenes in it (but hey, mechs), so if that's not your bag, pass it up.

EDIT: That said, if you want your kawaii uguugames, there's the Ys series and Trails in the Sky.

• Locked thread