Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I believe the Chase warranty only provides 90 days against damage. It doubles the regular-degular warranty, but does not include the extra protection that AppleCare does.

Correct.

I had a multi thousands of dollars claim with Chase and Citi (multiple purchases but same loss incident). Ultimately, got paid out in full just took a good deal of supporting documentation. The Chase claim was below the max for the CSP at the time, the bulk of the loss was on Citi cards but counted as one claim across the two Citi cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My credit score fell 40 points when our water heater installation was finally charged to one of my credit cards that only has a $3500 limit. If utilization is calculated across all your cards, that doesn’t make sense because I paid down a similar amount on a 0% balance transfer so my total utilization would’ve remained about the same at the moment that statement balance was reported.

Is there an addition penalty because that one card has high utilization until I pay the water heater on the next statement?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

My credit score fell 40 points when our water heater installation was finally charged to one of my credit cards that only has a $3500 limit. If utilization is calculated across all your cards, that doesn’t make sense because I paid down a similar amount on a 0% balance transfer so my total utilization would’ve remained about the same at the moment that statement balance was reported.

Is there an addition penalty because that one card has high utilization until I pay the water heater on the next statement?

I believe credit karma’s algorithm calculates based on whether you have any cards >30% utilization or something. I don’t believe your official FICOs are affected by singular utilization (unless that is your total credit limit).

For instance, I opened a BofA card with a 15 month 0%APR with a credit limit of 23k and I balance transferred 22k of a private student loan to it. My credit karma score dropped by 60 points (~820 to ~760) and it’s gradually coming back up after paying $1600/ month to it. My regular FICO didn’t drop and stayed around 800 when we bought a car in December and I opened 2 business cards (for the bonuses).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I believe the Chase warranty only provides 90 days against damage. It doubles the regular-degular warranty, but does not include the extra protection that AppleCare does.
Apparently Chase is getting rid of return protection and price protection on a lot of its cards.

Also, revised/new IHG cards and Barclay's new transferable card sucks. What a week in credit cards.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 11, 2018

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

Apparently Chase is getting rid of return protection and price protection on a lot of its cards.

Also, revised/new IHG cards and Barclay's new transferable card sticks. What a week in credit cards.

Hm I just got a mileage plus explorer to buy some gadgets with. Bad timing i guess.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I would like a recommendation for a credit card to open and use on my trip to Italy next month. I have a Discover card that has no foreign transaction fees but is not commonly accepted in Europe, and a Chase Visa card that is accepted most places but has 3% foreign transaction fees. My credit score is great, Credit Karma estimates it at 800.

Wish list:
1. No annual fee
2. No foreign transaction fees, and commonly accepted in Italy
3. Some sort of ATM fee reimbursement, or partners with European banks for no ATM fees if I want to withdraw some Euros

I'm open to whatever cashback/miles rewards. I do not plan to make this an everyday card, it'll be just for travel.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

drat Bananas posted:

I would like a recommendation for a credit card to open and use on my trip to Italy next month. I have a Discover card that has no foreign transaction fees but is not commonly accepted in Europe, and a Chase Visa card that is accepted most places but has 3% foreign transaction fees. My credit score is great, Credit Karma estimates it at 800.

Wish list:
1. No annual fee
3. Some sort of ATM fee reimbursement, or partners with European banks for no ATM fees if I want to withdraw some Euros

I'm open to whatever cashback/miles rewards. I do not plan to make this an everyday card, it'll be just for travel.

I think the C1 Venture card has 1 & 2, and you can use Capital One 360 to do 3.

(Note that European ATMs do not charge you an access fee like US ATMs)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drat Bananas posted:

Wish list:
1. No annual fee

Don't use a credit card at an ATM; get a Schwab or Fidelity checking account for ATM fee reimbursements. Fund it promptly to make sure you get your ATM card in time for the trip.

If you're happy with Chase, consider getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) Visa Signature card. No annual fee the first year (and you can product change it after a year), a bonus of $500 in ultimate reward (UR) points if you spend $4k in the next 3months, no foreign transaction fees, and 2 UR points back for every $1 you spend on travel/dining. While you have the CSP, your UR points are worth 1.25x towards travel booked through the chase portal (and you can transfer UR points between cards, so if you already have a stash of 'em you can make them worth more). The CSP also opens up transferring your UR points directly to travel partners' loyalty programs, including United Airlines and Hyatt, which can sometimes give you an even better deal.

As an extra bonus, if you have a friend or family member with the CSP, you can use their referral to score them $100 in points when you sign up, too.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 16, 2018

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I forgot to come back and say thank you to you both, I've been reading up on those. Good call on the checking account, that seems logical enough. It looks like both Venture and CSP have $0 annual fee at first and then jump to $95 after the first year, so I'll probably do CSP because I'm more familiar with the Chase website and already have UR points accumulating from my Freedom Unlimited.

I wonder if I can take my rarely used Chase (regular)Freedom, product-switch the account to a CSP, rack up the $4k for the rewards, then next April product-switch it right back to a Freedom (or similar). That's probably a lot of credit hits in a year, but we change so very little about our credit situation that I think it should recover just fine before we need it for something.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drat Bananas posted:

I forgot to come back and say thank you to you both, I've been reading up on those. Good call on the checking account, that seems logical enough. It looks like both Venture and CSP have $0 annual fee at first and then jump to $95 after the first year, so I'll probably do CSP because I'm more familiar with the Chase website and already have UR points accumulating from my Freedom Unlimited.

I wonder if I can take my rarely used Chase (regular)Freedom, product-switch the account to a CSP, rack up the $4k for the rewards, then next April product-switch it right back to a Freedom (or similar). That's probably a lot of credit hits in a year, but we change so very little about our credit situation that I think it should recover just fine before we need it for something.

Product changes aren't eligible for new account bonuses with very few exceptions (Barclays has done such in the past), so you can't PC your Freedom to a CSP and get the spending bonus offer. Further, a product change wouldn't give you that first year waived AF.

Capital One hard pulls all three bureaus when you sign up, which is pretty crappy. I've read that if you have any of them frozen nowadays, they'll deny you rather than letting you get away with "only" 2 hard pulls.

Product changes normally don't result in extra hard pulls/new accounts on your credit report (for chase, 100% they don't) - so after your year of the CSP, changing it to a no annual fee card won't be another mark on your credit report.

Opening a Schwab checking does result in a hard pull; I can't speak for Fidelity. If you sign up for the Schwab checking via https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn/refer-prospect.html (that's a generic referral link; not a personal one), you can get an extra $100 (taxable) bonus.

astral fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 19, 2018

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
drat, those things are good to know thank you. I'm starting to mentally backpedal all of this. I was hoping for just an easy no-fee vacation card to always be on reserve forever, but that might not exist right now. I asked my husband if he'd prefer to do a Schwab checking so we can access ATMs and operate mostly in cash over there, but he says he read that the exchange rate is worse when you deal in cash compared to a credit card. I don't know how ATM conversion rates differ from credit card conversion rates, but I don't understand anything about currency conversion at all so... hrmm.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Exchange rates are bad if you trade USD for local currency at a currency exchange. Credit cards are the best but they aren't accepted as widely as they are in the US. If they don't accept CC, the best way to get foreign cash is to withdraw local currency directly from an ATM.

e: Best is to withdraw from an ATM using a debit card, not as a cash advance via a CC.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 19, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
As in the exchange rate that your bank charges you to withdraw money from an ATM versus pay a Euro-denominated bill with a credit card?

Yesterday my Chase no-FTF credit card gave me 1.24 USD/Euro on a small purchase. My bank account gave me 1.13 USD/Euro on a very similar purchase, plus a small exchange fee which brought the total exchange rate to 1.17 USD/Euro. Using the debit card was much better for direct purchases. On the other hand, that account does not have ATM fee waivers, so when I draw cash direct in Europe on the same day my exchange rate was 1.29 USD/Euro (I really need to get that loving Schwab account).

What I have found is that when traveling in Europe you should have a) A Visa or Mastercard credit card (ideally both), and b) a bank card where you can access money through a European network. You do not want to be put in a situation where you can't access money. Lots of Italy is still on a cash basis. At minimum, when I am traveling in Europe I'm carrying: 1) High limit Amex, no FTF 2) High limit Visa, no FTF 3) High limit Mastercard, no FTF 4) bank card 5) the equivalent of 100USD in local currency in cash in small/mid bills.

Don't forget to tell your various companies that you are traveling. This is a bit less important now but if you don't frequently leave the country you will flag up and you may lose access to your money temporarily.

edit: Just to put this in context - Let's say you spend five thousand Euro on your vacation in Euro-denominated costs (hypothetically, I have no idea how much you plan to spend). This is 5,850 USD at my lowest current money accessing rate (using Debit card directly), $6,200 at my credit card's rate, and $6,450 at my worst possible rate (drawing direct cash from ATMs in 100 euro increments).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ATMs are the best way to withdraw foreign currency so of course they are disappearing from airports

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spf3million posted:

Exchange rates are bad if you trade USD for local currency at a currency exchange. Credit cards are the best but they aren't accepted as widely as they are in the US. If they don't accept CC, the best way to get foreign cash is to withdraw local currency directly from an ATM.

e: Best is to withdraw from an ATM using a debit card, not as a cash advance via a CC.

As above, I have found that the best option if your bank charges ATM fees is to use your debit card to make purchases. YMMV obviously, this is very dependent on bank and fee structure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rated PG-34 posted:

ATMs are the best way to withdraw foreign currency so of course they are disappearing from airports

Really? Every major international airport I travel in has a huge number of ATMs. Of course, the exchange rate they offer is... not great.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If my cc has no foreign transaction fee, then would that be the best method to purchase stuff overseas? (assuming the cc is accepted)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
[edit: nevermind. I think I've decided on the Barclays Uber Visa. No AF, no FTF, 4% on restaurants/bars, 3% on airfare and hotels (too late for this trip, drat) - sounds like the perfect travel card to have in my back pocket for future trips]

So the exchange rate is different depending on which ATM you use? How... does one plan to not get hosed by that?

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 19, 2018

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Really? Every major international airport I travel in has a huge number of ATMs. Of course, the exchange rate they offer is... not great.

I haven't personally witnessed it, but it's been reported:

https://www.oyster.com/articles/51016-the-scary-new-atm-scam-thats-targeting-travelers/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drat Bananas posted:

drat, those things are good to know thank you. I'm starting to mentally backpedal all of this. I was hoping for just an easy no-fee vacation card to always be on reserve forever, but that might not exist right now.

There are some of those, but they usually make better sense as something to eventually PC to from a different card with a nice bonus, rather than something to sign up for just to have that. Yet another avenue you could consider is BoA's Premium Rewards traveler card - Similar signup spending bonus of ~$500, but spending requirement is only $3k and the $95 annual fee isn't waived the first year. After the first year, you could product change it to their no annual fee no foreign transaction fee Travel Rewards card (though I'm not personally a fan of the Travel Rewards card's earning structure).

quote:

I asked my husband if he'd prefer to do a Schwab checking so we can access ATMs and operate mostly in cash over there, but he says he read that the exchange rate is worse when you deal in cash compared to a credit card. I don't know how ATM conversion rates differ from credit card conversion rates, but I don't understand anything about currency conversion at all so... hrmm.

As mentioned, the exchange rates are bad if you trade at a currency exchange. The way I understand it, currency exchange typically has two prices, a 'buy' price which is usually high (you are buying that currency with your own currency), and a 'sell' price which is usually low (you are trying to get rid of that currency and get your own kind of money back.

ATMs and Visa/MC/Amex tend to use something called a 'mid-market' rate which is in between them, since they do a lot of transactions in each direction and they can average out to something in between. Each network has specific rules about when and how they calculate the rate they use for foreign transactions at a given time. You'll even find a lot of articles online saying that Mastercard might be slightly better than Amex or Visa (or vice versa!) at foreign transaction fees, but in practice they're close enough that it doesn't really matter.

drat Bananas posted:

I wonder how hard of a hit it would be to open both the CSP card as well as the Schwab checking. Hopefully one wouldn't drop it low enough to to make me get denied for the other. To make it murkier, I just had my husband added as an authorized user on my Discover, before I found out that they aren't taken in Europe much, so he's already had one hit this week. If we opened both and are each on both of them, that would make 3 hits for him... eesh. Maybe the Schwab could just be mine alone.

So the exchange rate is different depending on which ATM you use? How... does one plan to not get hosed by that?

Two hard pulls and one new account shouldn't be too bad. (or two, for him, depending on the length and breadth of his credit history).

drat Bananas posted:

[edit: nevermind. I think I've decided on the Barclays Uber Visa. No AF, no FTF, 4% on restaurants/bars, 3% on airfare and hotels (too late for this trip, drat) - sounds like the perfect travel card to have in my back pocket for future trips]

That's not a bad long-term card to have, either. Barclays has chip+PIN support as well, which can help you at various misconfigured, unattended payment terminals, especially in Europe.

I would still recommend considering a card with a bonus (it's the best way to make money on stuff you're spending money on anyway), but if you aren't sure if you can meet the spending requirement at the moment or if things are just too chaotic to do it for this trip, definitely give it another look later on.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 19, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Finally got a Double Cash targeted offer with $100 bonus (on $500 spend). Goodbye, 1.5% cards.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Has anyone personally had to deal with Chase closing their accounts, or does anyone know of anyone dealing with it? I have read about it a few times now, and I am so paranoid that Chase is going to close my account for having too many other credit cards open. My husband was almost under 5/24 but I read about these account closings and I got paranoid so he signed up for a targeted Venture card instead of holding out for a new Chase card. We have a big trip coming up to Europe and we're trying to accumulate all the points/miles we can.

I also read they will be stopping points sharing between household members, which would suck for us since I use my Freedom and Freedom Unlimited for the bulk of our household shopping and he has the CSR in his name. And with all the stories about account closings, I am paranoid to have him open a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited in his name for fear they decide to shut his accounts down entirely. It basically means we are frozen with Chase, not opening new accounts and looking for other places to put our usual household spending (like the Citi 2% cashback card, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred and the Discover It 5% card).

And in unrelated news, I've been reading about how young people aka Millennials are moving away from credit towards debit purchases. Which just blows my mind, since the credit card rewards game is so ripe with all these cashback deals and incentives.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Small White Dragon posted:

Also, revised/new IHG cards and Barclay's new transferable card sucks. What a week in credit cards.

Dumb!

As far as I can tell, Amex still has return protection, which is really the important benefit!

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 27, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

Has anyone personally had to deal with Chase closing their accounts, or does anyone know of anyone dealing with it? I have read about it a few times now, and I am so paranoid that Chase is going to close my account for having too many other credit cards open. My husband was almost under 5/24 but I read about these account closings and I got paranoid so he signed up for a targeted Venture card instead of holding out for a new Chase card. We have a big trip coming up to Europe and we're trying to accumulate all the points/miles we can.

Not I but there are some threads about them on various forums. Usually they involve signing up for a ton of cards in a short time, or signing up for a new chase card when the person already had a really high amount of cards in the last two years. If he was close to 5/24, it probably would've been fine.

quote:

I also read they will be stopping points sharing between household members, which would suck for us since I use my Freedom and Freedom Unlimited for the bulk of our household shopping and he has the CSR in his name.

That's just a rumor, for now, based on a survey Chase put out some time ago. Chase would probably lose a lot of customers if people couldn't transfer the points around.

quote:

And with all the stories about account closings, I am paranoid to have him open a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited in his name for fear they decide to shut his accounts down entirely. It basically means we are frozen with Chase, not opening new accounts and looking for other places to put our usual household spending (like the Citi 2% cashback card, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred and the Discover It 5% card).

With those two at least he can check for his pre-approved offers in a branch (or the selected for you green checkmark offers on the website). Doubtful they'd do a full pre-approval with a specific APR (rather than a range) if they didn't want him to have the card.

If you don't already have it, the Discover It will give you an effective 10% on the categories and 2% on everything else the first year with the cashback match. Then one of you can refer the other one after that first year is over (referrer and referred each get a $50 statement credit). :)

quote:

And in unrelated news, I've been reading about how young people aka Millennials are moving away from credit towards debit purchases. Which just blows my mind, since the credit card rewards game is so ripe with all these cashback deals and incentives.

Credit education isn't what it should be - I suspect a lot of those afraid to use credit cards have irresponsible parents who misused credit, so the children are afraid they'll do the same. Hopefully they don't plan on needing a loan to buy a car, house, or condo.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vox Nihili posted:

Finally got a Double Cash targeted offer with $100 bonus (on $500 spend). Goodbye, 1.5% cards.

Congrats, I've been waiting for like anything 2% with a bonus offer to make the switch.

Is there some way to prime yourself for targeted offers? I get a million of the "Open a checking account with Chase" ones and nothing that I actually want.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Power of Pecota posted:

Congrats, I've been waiting for like anything 2% with a bonus offer to make the switch.

Is there some way to prime yourself for targeted offers? I get a million of the "Open a checking account with Chase" ones and nothing that I actually want.

Doublecash has a public $100 signup bonus now.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-double-cash-credit-card

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Since I don't care about my credit, should I just keep opening up cards and getting the sweet $100 bonuses?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Since I don't care about my credit, should I just keep opening up cards and getting the sweet $100 bonuses?

Yes, but there are much better offers than $100 out there. If you open too many in a short period, then you'll have to wait 4-6 months before most banks will start approving you again. Go for better bonuses first.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, but there are much better offers than $100 out there. If you open too many in a short period, then you'll have to wait 4-6 months before most banks will start approving you again. Go for better bonuses first.

oh I have. This year :

1) Chase Sapphire Prefered
2) Chase freedom unlimited
3) Discover IT
4) Barclay's Uber Visa
5) Chase freedom

Any more I should go for?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jerk McJerkface posted:

oh I have. This year :

3) Discover IT
4) Barclay's Uber Visa
5) Chase freedom

How much are you okay with in required spend?

There's a couple of easy $200 for $500 in spend offers out now.

Disney Chase, one of Barclay's cards, and Wells Fargo.

U.S. Flex Perks Gold is $300 right now.

Plus a lot of hotel and airline bonuses that are worth more than $300 in cash, but obviously you have to use them on the hotels and airlines.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

oh I have. This year :

3) Discover IT
4) Barclay's Uber Visa
5) Chase freedom

Here are a few solid options:

Citi TY Premier has a 50k TY points ($400 in cash, $500 in GCs, or 500 or more in travel; points are also transferable to certain places) bonus after $4k spend/3mo. AF is waived first year. Could product change this to a double cash after a year.

BoA Premium Rewards has a 50k points($500) bonus after $3k spend/3mo with a $95 AF, so you come out ahead $405 + $100 airline incidental type credit + global entry or TSA Pre credit.

Citi American Airlines has a 60k miles after $3k spend/3mo offer which you can then secure message to match to a 75k points offer ("I applied to this card with the 60k offer, but then I received a 75k points offer...").

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

How much are you okay with in required spend?

There's a couple of easy $200 for $500 in spend offers out now.

Disney Chase, one of Barclay's cards, and Wells Fargo.

U.S. Flex Perks Gold is $300 right now.

Plus a lot of hotel and airline bonuses that are worth more than $300 in cash, but obviously you have to use them on the hotels and airlines.

I put everything on my CC and pay it off, I'm find with 2-3k in CC a month. I have a family of four so my grocery bill alone is almost $1.5k a month.

for these:

astral posted:

Here are a few solid options:

Citi TY Premier has a 50k TY points ($400 in cash, $500 in GCs, or 500 or more in travel; points are also transferable to certain places) bonus after $4k spend/3mo. AF is waived first year. Could product change this to a double cash after a year.

BoA Premium Rewards has a 50k points($500) bonus after $3k spend/3mo with a $95 AF, so you come out ahead $405 + $100 airline incidental type credit + global entry or TSA Pre credit.

Citi American Airlines has a 60k miles after $3k spend/3mo offer which you can then secure message to match to a 75k points offer ("I applied to this card with the 60k offer, but then I received a 75k points offer...").

It looks like the last one I can't exchange into cash, can I? I don't care about travel, I want straight up cash money yo.

edit: signed up for the Citi Premier. Thanks!

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 27, 2018

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There's always checking account offers too, if you get frozen out of credit card offers. They won't ding your credit, but will tie up some cash for a little bit and you'll end up paying taxes on the bonus money. I don't mind but something to consider.

Edit: Should say what offers I've redeemed so far. Got $200 from opening a Discover checking account (also has a 1.5% APY right now, which rules) and $200 from a Fifth Third checking account. These only required me to deposit a certain amount, no messing around with direct deposit or X# of debit card transactions.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well the Double Cash doesn't normally offer an bonus, so it might be a good idea to snag the bonus while it's available since it's a good card in its own right.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I put everything on my CC and pay it off, I'm find with 2-3k in CC a month. I have a family of four so my grocery bill alone is almost $1.5k a month.
I don't care about travel, I want straight up cash money yo.

Dude, we are a family of 6 and I don't think we spend that much on groceries. But, for groceries I use the Blue Cash Everyday Preferred. 6% back on groceries, 3% back on gas, $95 annual fee, max return on up to $6000 on groceries, everything after is 1%. There's also a regular version, 3% back on groceries, 2% back on gas, no annual fee. I only know you can redeem for statement credits, but there has to be a way to get the cash. I think if you request the statement credit then don't use the card for a few months, they send you a check for the balance.

I balance that card with quarterly bonus cards like my Discover It, which is in my first year so I get 10% cash back. This quarter is grocery stores, so if I don't hit the maximum allowed this quarter I'll just buy grocery gift cards to use later in the year. Same with the Chase Freedom, this quarter is ALSO grocery stores, so I'm a little overbalanced but I'll just buy enough gift cards to maximize it all.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

VorpalBunny posted:

Dude, we are a family of 6 and I don't think we spend that much on groceries. But, for groceries I use the Blue Cash Everyday Preferred. 6% back on groceries, 3% back on gas, $95 annual fee, max return on up to $6000 on groceries, everything after is 1%. There's also a regular version, 3% back on groceries, 2% back on gas, no annual fee. I only know you can redeem for statement credits, but there has to be a way to get the cash. I think if you request the statement credit then don't use the card for a few months, they send you a check for the balance.

I balance that card with quarterly bonus cards like my Discover It, which is in my first year so I get 10% cash back. This quarter is grocery stores, so if I don't hit the maximum allowed this quarter I'll just buy grocery gift cards to use later in the year. Same with the Chase Freedom, this quarter is ALSO grocery stores, so I'm a little overbalanced but I'll just buy enough gift cards to maximize it all.

My wife spends $200 every week at Trader Joe's, and then another $50 at a regular grocery store for things you can't get at TJ. Then maybe $30 for misc pickups throughout the week. Is that excessive?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My wife spends $200 every week at Trader Joe's, and then another $50 at a regular grocery store for things you can't get at TJ. Then maybe $30 for misc pickups throughout the week. Is that excessive?

I think you have it backwards. Do your main shopping for groceries at a slightly upscale grocery store like Harris Teeter (or insert regional equivalent), and then supplement with Trader Joe's. Whole Foods is probably even better as a primary grocery store than Trader Joe's if you have the discipline to stick to their reasonably priced staples and stay away from the niche and organic items. Trader Joe's is awesome for snacks, wine, and frozen naan but it extremely overpriced or lacks in selection/quality for most other items.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I thought Joe's was just an Aldi. We shop at Aldi and I spend like 90 a week there then supplement at the grocery store/Costco for another 50 a week or so, and we are fairly wasteful for a family of 6.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

laxbro posted:

I think you have it backwards. Do your main shopping for groceries at a slightly upscale grocery store like Harris Teeter (or insert regional equivalent), and then supplement with Trader Joe's. Whole Foods is probably even better as a primary grocery store than Trader Joe's if you have the discipline to stick to their reasonably priced staples and stay away from the niche and organic items. Trader Joe's is awesome for snacks, wine, and frozen naan but it extremely overpriced or lacks in selection/quality for most other items.

I dunno we've done it both ways and TJ is way cheaper. My wife buys almost no snacks or frozen food and only fresh meats and produce. TJ is way cheaper for those kids of things than Whole Foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

laxbro posted:

Huh? Staples at Whole Foods are way more expensive. If you avoid the gimmicky snacky and pre-cooked stuff at Trader Joe's and buy real food, it is pretty affordable for being a yuppie grocery store.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I thought Joe's was just an Aldi. We shop at Aldi and I spend like 90 a week there then supplement at the grocery store/Costco for another 50 a week or so, and we are fairly wasteful for a family of 6.

Trader Joe's is yuppie Aldi. It is largely oriented towards younger single people in portion sizes & types of things it sells, but has way more selection than Aldi.