Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MinibarMatchman posted:

some kind of tiny party bonus for offbeat teams would be pretty cool like a certain Luck percentage increase or maybe Light decreasing slower.

It doesn't matter how positively miniscule a buff can be, it'll still gravitate everyone to the same boring setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Arbalest is a healing class? That's a twist.

Definitely cool; I was expecting her to be a hybrid artillery platform/tank depending on which rank she's at. It'll be nice having an alternative to Vestals and Occultists, especially since I don't like relying on the latter (sorry Cthulhu dude)

Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx
I need this narrator to do my life.

In any of the last 100 pages did anyone post some audio clips of the narrator? I need to have some of my phone/desktop sounds fixed for a more appropreate line feeling. My parents calling me should defintily reflect more of my feeling of dread than a simple jingle could do.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's not anywhere near complete, but here's a youtube playlist which is just audio clips of various narrator sayings. You could strip them out using the audio ripper of your choice.

Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx

Mzbundifund posted:

It's not anywhere near complete, but here's a youtube playlist which is just audio clips of various narrator sayings. You could strip them out using the audio ripper of your choice.

You are my new best friend.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

toasterwarrior posted:

Definitely cool; I was expecting her to be a hybrid artillery platform/tank depending on which rank she's at. It'll be nice having an alternative to Vestals and Occultists, especially since I don't like relying on the latter (sorry Cthulhu dude)
Arbalest seems like she could be exactly the class I wanted, because Vestals are kind of boring and Occultists way too swingy for me.

Has anyone ever had much success with a Grave Robber not built around Lunge, by the way? It was my favorite class for a while, but it seems completely reliant on that one attack.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Has anyone ever had much success with a Grave Robber not built around Lunge, by the way? It was my favorite class for a while, but it seems completely reliant on that one attack.

Thrown Dagger is good at zapping back-line enemies. I run a gravedigger with a couple of +crit charms, Thrown Dagger, Lunge, Shadow Step, and Pick to the Face. She can almost always hit something no matter where she is in the party, and stands a good chance of killing it in one go.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Found this game through this thread and have been enjoying it for the last week. It's a lot of fun although I agree with the prevailing opinion in the thread that the difficulty drops off sharply after the first couple of weeks. I think it's hard to have a game that relies on gradual stat progression of your characters that is also deadly in the lategame, while still being fun. The result of losing a high-level character is just more grind to replace them. XCOM:EU has this problem - if you lose a Colonel right before the final mission, it's boring as hell to grind a lower rank character back up so you can take on the final dungeon. If every fight had a significant risk of killing your guys right up to the end, you'd never get a good enough party together to beat the final ship.

Slaapaav posted:

the modern roguelike is a really hot genre right now so there is no point in comparing two games that are very similar in that genre? they have all the classic genre staples and throw out the ascii base while adding a revolving door party system? you run around a randomly generated waypoint based map?

I really don't get why FTL or Darkest Dungeon are considered roguelikes. DD has procedurally-generated dungeon levels and auto-saving, but what other genre staples does it have? You have a party instead of a single character. Stat progression is minimal. Weapon/armour and inventory management is minimal. You have perfect knowledge of your weapons, armour and trinkets. Combat is turn-based but nothing else is. The word "permadeath" is thrown around but it is not used in the roguelike sense, since there is literally no risk of losing the game (even though you might lose individual characters).

I get that concepts can evolve and I'm not insisting that every roguelike needs ASCII graphics or different keys for drinking a potion versus reading a scroll, but neither FTL nor DD feels anything like Angband, which I've put tons of hours into over the years. If DD were more of a roguelike, players would have to make serious decisions about what equipment to wear and what inventory to carry around (which would, in my mind, be a good thing), and they'd lose the game on a party wipe and have to start entirely over (which might be an optional "hardcore" mode, but given the number of hours you have to devote to the game and the vagaries of the RNG, I wouldn't suggest as the default).

paranoid randroid posted:

Thrown Dagger is good at zapping back-line enemies. I run a gravedigger with a couple of +crit charms, Thrown Dagger, Lunge, Shadow Step, and Pick to the Face. She can almost always hit something no matter where she is in the party, and stands a good chance of killing it in one go.

I'm currently running a Crusader/Highwayman/Grave Robber/Vestal party where the fighters all use mobility skills - Lunge/Shadow Step for the GR, Holy Lance for the Crusader and Duelist's Advance/Point Blank Shot for the Grave Robber. It's nice and flexible when you get surprised and shuffled. Lunge is an important part of the mix but the build doesn't rely solely on Lunge, the point is to use everyone's mobility. My GR spends a lot of her time using Thrown Dagger and Pick to the Face too.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If the most recent roguelike you've played is angband, just realize that the genre has evolved a lot since then. Go play some crawl or tome for a couple of the more modern popular roguelikes. While DD/FTL have multiple members in your party, and your management isn't straight inventory, the feel of the games are much more similar to the hard caste roguelike than most anything else. Really your frame of reference for the genre is probably like 10 years out of date.

Looking forward to the new content patch, I've put a decent amount of time into the game already and they've got a great base to build up on. Having some achievements tied to finishing dungeons with named parties sounds like a great way to encourage people to try new combos.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did you know that it's possible to dodge Wilbur's mark in the Warrens boss fight?

That, plus an Occultist with Weakening Curse and a Vestal with Hand of Light, made the level 3 boss a complete pushover.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
roguesimilar

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What if the most recent roguelike I've played is DOOM RL?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I feel like a new term is required to describe roguelikes which are not like rogue.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
rogueunlike

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rogue-ish.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Rougelike

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
call it, roguemaybe?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BBJoey posted:

I feel like a new term is required to describe roguelikes which are not like rogue.

Darkestdungeonlike

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Alright fellers, if you still wanna talk about what constitutes a roguelike, please read the last 3 months of the roguelike thread, I'm sure it's popped up a couple of times there.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Arbalest is a healing class? That's a twist.

Very excited for palette swap characters.

Definitely The Killing Joke.

Grauheim Steamroller.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game is no more of a Roguelike than Skyrim.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I thought the ageed upon term was Procedural Death Labyrinth :confused:

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Go argue about semantics somewhere else, the patch just dropped!

Patch Notes posted:

Features
Color Variations: All heroes have 4 different color palettes available for you to choose from! You can find the button to switch color palettes on the bottom left corner of the hero panel. We will be adding the matching heroic/afflicted poses in soon.
Roster Sorting: Sort by stress, resolve level, hero class and town activity.
Party Combo Names 1.0: Certain party combos will be named! When assembling your group, watch for the popup and see if you've uncovered a named combo. We're starting with only a few, but more combo names will be added as we continue development.

Trinket Tuning / Fixes
Increased most Trinket ACC, DODGE, STUN, BLIGHT, BLEED, MOVE, DISEASE, and DEBUFF buffs to make them more meaningful
Slightly decreased most Trinket negative effects to strengthen overall Trinket value
Overall tuning pass on many specific Trinkets, often to increase value
All HP healing buffs should now be working correctly

General Bug Fixes
Fixed bug where you could change the selected hero during a curio interaction act out
Fixed max HP buffs causing damage bars to show up
Stage Coach random hero barks will now only play when no other hero is barking
Fixed bug with taking objects with single click on the loot box
Added ability to drag and drop items from the loot box
Added ability to use items in the loot box
Updated indicators so the hero using the skill will be the heal target when they can heal or buff themselves
Tutorial dungeon name is now saved as Old Road
No longer able to select heroes in town activities for parties

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Patch is live!

Color customization is in and you CAN change the color of your characters later down the line at any time :)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has there been any words on when the next content patch is due?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The trinket changes are the ones I'm most interested in. Anyone get a chance to check out the changes yet? If so, did any junk trinkets become game breaking ones or just usable?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Broken Cog posted:

They said sometime in mid May iirc

MacheteZombie posted:

The trinket changes are the ones I'm most interested in. Anyone get a chance to check out the changes yet? If so, did any junk trinkets become game breaking ones or just usable?

Someone with a higher level setup can give a more complete answer, but from a quick look around it seems like the junk trinkets had their penalties decreased a bit. Otherwise, the Jester's Bloody Dice went up to +30% Bleed and Bleeding Pendants don't give bonus damage anymore.

brocretin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 14, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

End of May is the target for 2 new classes, 2+new bosses, and some kind of new challenge/reward feature for doing long dungeons in the dark.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cheers, sounds like it could be fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Besides those two classes, did they have plans for any more?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Azran posted:

Besides those two classes, did they have plans for any more?

There's also Houndsmaster and I think a Merchant class, as well as the special high-tier-backers designed Class. (Those last two might be the same thing?)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think they promised a backer- exclusive class (before they realized that was kind of a bad idea--it'll probably get general release as add-on dlc later, who knows) which I think is the Merchant, and a backer-designed class which I haven't seen anything announced about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The backer-exclusive class was going to be a "variant" class, which I assume means reskin.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh, like maybe Beardy-Crusader? Beardsader?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

brocretin posted:

Someone with a higher level setup can give a more complete answer, but from a quick look around it seems like the junk trinkets had their penalties decreased a bit. Otherwise, the Jester's Bloody Dice went up to +30% Bleed and Bleeding Pendants don't give bonus damage anymore.
Yeah RIP Bleeding Pendant, you are no longer stupidly overpowered

Hell's Hairpin is still good though, and that makes sense because it's an Ancestral trinket. The trinkets are much less bafflingly bad now, looks like someone definitely spent some time on them, and the common ones will actually be usable for specific purposes now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I think there have been some new voice clips added. Has there always been a comment about how the warrens are full of "experiments" after finishing a run?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some experiments should never have seen the light of day

yeah

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The pig people, like everything else you fight, are direct results of your ancestor's poor decisions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Patch is live!

Color customization is in and you CAN change the color of your characters later down the line at any time :)

Okay, how? I don't see anything on the character sheet that would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Okay, how? I don't see anything on the character sheet that would do that.

There's a paint palette symbol at the bottom left corner :)