Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've ran a ton of games off SD with no issue on both a Wii and vWii on my Wii U. USB is probably better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

OK maybe I'll settle for a low profile usb flash drive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

OK maybe I'll settle for a low profile usb flash drive.

This is what I did and it works really well on a proper Wii (mind you it doesn't work well on a Wii U because of the low power of its ports)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I don't have a lot of games, but I have never had issues with playing Wii games from SD. I did buy a new card to do it, from a reliable brand, and made sure it had one of the higher speed ratings. I don't know if that helped though, and I'm sure there could be games out there that don't play well with this method.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So there's still no way to play DS games on a 3DS without a flashcart, right? Or is there a VC method to get them to work? I have a ton of DS games and a huge SD card, surely there is a way to merge these things. Apparently the emulator that only works on n3DS still runs like total poo poo.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know much about it, but my understanding is that a couple of games work using nds-bootstrap, but only a very few games work with it right now, and you can't save unless you use a real cart and just overwrite it's save files. I'm pretty sure it is still actively in development though, so is continually improving.

A VC method isn't possible as the only DS game released on 3DS is a Warioware game, and it isn't an emulator, it is the game recompiled from source so there is no way for homebrewers to take advantage of it.

And yeah, a straight up emulator is probably going to run horribly. I don't think the 3DS has the power to emulate DS at full speed without major accuracy trade-offs and speed hacks.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Last I heard, the games that work with nds-bootstrap will write to a compatible cart save if one is present, but otherwise to the SD, so you basically need to keep the cart slot empty to avoid messing things up.. Though the fact that ntrboothax basically requires a flashcart makes new 3DS hack recipients much more likely to just have one.

I thought people were trying to do something with Warioware, since it's a DS game recompiled into DSiWare. Maybe that was aborted, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you install Wii VC to USB and play it from there? I'd like to skimp on the sd card if possible because I dont have a ton laying around but I do have a ton of usb drives.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Flagrama posted:

I don't know much about it, but my understanding is that a couple of games work using nds-bootstrap, but only a very few games work with it right now, and you can't save unless you use a real cart and just overwrite it's save files. I'm pretty sure it is still actively in development though, so is continually improving.

A VC method isn't possible as the only DS game released on 3DS is a Warioware game, and it isn't an emulator, it is the game recompiled from source so there is no way for homebrewers to take advantage of it.

And yeah, a straight up emulator is probably going to run horribly. I don't think the 3DS has the power to emulate DS at full speed without major accuracy trade-offs and speed hacks.

m2pt5 posted:

Last I heard, the games that work with nds-bootstrap will write to a compatible cart save if one is present, but otherwise to the SD, so you basically need to keep the cart slot empty to avoid messing things up.. Though the fact that ntrboothax basically requires a flashcart makes new 3DS hack recipients much more likely to just have one.

I thought people were trying to do something with Warioware, since it's a DS game recompiled into DSiWare. Maybe that was aborted, though.

That sucks. I guess I should invest in a DSTwo or something, then? Do they even still make those old DS cart slot things, and do they work on N3DSes?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
DS Flash carts are still around, and while they won't work natively on 3DSes homebrew will let you boot them. I've got my ancient Cyclo DS working on mine.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Fuzz posted:

That sucks. I guess I should invest in a DSTwo or something, then? Do they even still make those old DS cart slot things, and do they work on N3DSes?
You don't even need one that fancy, a cheap Acekard 2i or any other cart that works on 3DS is adequate. (The ntrboot compatibility list is a good place to start.)

Also, while it doesn't seem to affect everyone, leaving a DSTwo in the cart slot while the system is in sleep mode may drain your battery unnecessarily.

Dr. Dos posted:

DS Flash carts are still around, and while they won't work natively on 3DSes homebrew will let you boot them. I've got my ancient Cyclo DS working on mine.
Same. Even though it doesn't work natively, NTRLauncher makes it work just as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don't spend extra on the DS two and it's fancy extra cpu. All that gets you is emulation of gba that's not up to snuff and extreme battery drain

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Stock 3DS firmware bans a number of DS flash carts. Luma disables those checks, so some launch natively, but there's other cards that don't have the correct title information since they just auto-launched on DS, and for those you'll need a flashcart launcher. Beware that some DS flashcarts are known to drain the 3DS battery in sleep mode.

Personally I don't really like playing DS games on a New 3DS since the screen is small when using 1:1 pixel mode and looks stretched otherwise. But if you no longer have a DS or just want to carry one device, it's convenient.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Okay, good to know. Seems rather pain in the assy, might not be worth the extra cost and hassle for the convenience... I had a GBA slot M3 card back in the days of regular DS, and while it was great there were a bunch of games that essentially wouldn't run properly so I had to lug their carts around anyway (Chrono Trigger), so I dunno if I'll bother.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Okay, good to know. Seems rather pain in the assy, might not be worth the extra cost and hassle for the convenience... I had a GBA slot M3 card back in the days of regular DS, and while it was great there were a bunch of games that essentially wouldn't run properly so I had to lug their carts around anyway (Chrono Trigger), so I dunno if I'll bother.

It's not a hassle at all. You buy a R4i gold or something, put games in there and then play them. No extra steps required.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone have an extra R4i Gold? I regret getting rid of mine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone have an extra R4i Gold? I regret getting rid of mine.

They're still like $20 on that nds-card store on the 3ds guide for ntrboot. You can just use it as a ds flashcart instead. Being a place that sells flash carts though paying them was kinda dumb. Had to send money to a random gmail account through paypal.
Also I think I remember they had a stripe payment method for a couple days but someone got their credit card stolen by using it and they got rid of the option after that? Also takes like 2 to 3 weeks for the flashcart to arrive.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm having trouble installing some CIAs via FBI on my 3DS... they seem to check out and have been used by other people, if the threads on GBATemp are any indication, but they're getting invalid errors and crapping out. One of them I also had trouble copying to my SD card, had to retry it a few times. Is this an issue with my SD card? It's a SanDisk 64gig SDHC card that's listed as compatible, so I would think it'd be fine... anyone have any alternate installers, maybe? A few threads said to use Big Blue Box but that is giving similar errors.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Are you using the latest FBI?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Are you using the latest FBI?

Yep.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Given that even copying files is an issue, I think you need to reformat your SD card. Backup everything on it to your PC, then format it with either a PC application like guiformat, or maybe one of the homebrew applications that are capable of it like GodMode9. Then copy everything back on to it.

Do not format your system or use the built in 3DS formatting option to try and reformat your SD card. All of your data will end up unusable.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hey guys, I haven't turned on my new 3DS xl since 11.2 and was wondering if there's anything really groundbreaking I need to do or take care of before I jump on, update and start playing the new Metroid.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Hey guys, I haven't turned on my new 3DS xl since 11.2 and was wondering if there's anything really groundbreaking I need to do or take care of before I jump on, update and start playing the new Metroid.

If you never did it, you should upgrade from a9lh to b9s so you can update luma3ds to the latest version. If you setup b9s already (I forget when it came out with respect to 3ds updates) just update luma to the latest version before updating the 3ds to 11.6.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Never heard of b9s so I guess I should get on that. Thanks!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Never heard of b9s so I guess I should get on that. Thanks!

https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

It's not that hard to change over to it.

edit: oh yeah that page still has the "banwave" notice. Nintendo did a single banwave and people never figured out what the cause was. It was a several months after the "people played pokemon sun/moon two weeks early online like idiots and got banned" wave.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I managed to snag an SNES Classic preorder, how easy was it to mod the NES version? I heard some buzz that the SNES is very similar and will probably be hacked like immediately. Would love to toss NBA JAM and Zombies Ate My Neighbors on that thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stan Taylor posted:

I managed to snag an SNES Classic preorder, how easy was it to mod the NES version? I heard some buzz that the SNES is very similar and will probably be hacked like immediately. Would love to toss NBA JAM and Zombies Ate My Neighbors on that thing.

It sounds like it's pretty much the same hardware. I wouldn't be surprised for it to be possible to add more games before next month is over.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It's the same hardware and the tools used to interface with the NES Classic more or less work with the SNES Classic. It'll be quick.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gently caress you for actually managing to get one, on an aside. :arghfist::smithicide:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you mean the releasing-tomorrow SNES Classic it's not looking like it'll be as bad as the NES Classic was, flagship stores are getting amounts like 200-500 for day 1 with more shipments pending. While some smaller stores are getting dinkier amounts they're still higher than the NES Classic was, and I suspect if you're in even a semi-major there's a reasonably high chance you'll get one if you show up like 10-15 minutes before a store opening, and will likely have an easier time with NIS alerts too. Could still be wrong but it's showing promise.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I plan to just waltz in to Best Buy tomorrow at store open and grab one, which is coincidentally also my new iPhone purchasing plan and it always seems to work for some reason

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I plan to just waltz in to Best Buy tomorrow at store open and grab one, which is coincidentally also my new iPhone purchasing plan and it always seems to work for some reason

If you can grab two, please do. I'll pay you for shipping and whatnot. I'll be working 16ish hours tomorrow and by the time I get out, I'm betting it'll be sold out everywhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I can, I will

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So who is going to be first to crack open their snes mini and find out if it's mod-able?

I wanna load up dem games and maybe nes and genesis games if it's flexible enough and has the storage

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I had to go to the target in tallahassee for something totally unrelated, and there were still a few (I dunno, three or four) of these dudes sitting around. I have approximately forty-nine ways to play every SNES game ever made at my house, in my car, and on a plane so I'm not interested but if anyone's looking they still had them about a half hour ago.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I had to go to the target in tallahassee for something totally unrelated, and there were still a few (I dunno, three or four) of these dudes sitting around. I have approximately forty-nine ways to play every SNES game ever made at my house, in my car, and on a plane so I'm not interested but if anyone's looking they still had them about a half hour ago.

Buy me one, I'll pay you for it.

Edit: For reference how crazy it is up here (I'm still at work)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783186&pagenumber=156&perpage=40#post476891199

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 29, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Jim Silly-Balls”" post="“476889339”"]
So who is going to be first to crack open their snes mini and find out if it’s mod-able?

I wanna load up dem games and maybe nes and genesis games if it’s flexible enough and has the storage
[/quote]

Did you have to open up the NES Classic to mod it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, you needed access to the NAND.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Inside the snes classic you will find....a raspberry pi carefully configured by iwata himself (or some factory worker whose body has become no more than a puppet to his ghost)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

SeANMcBAY posted:

No, you can do it all through the microusb port. Set up the mod-ability via FEL mode and hakchi2.
There isn't an update for the custom kernel yet for the SNES mini, but I imagine it'll be soon since the hardware is nearly identical.

• Locked thread