Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Differo Cathedra posted:

Youtuber triplewreck made a video about phantom bullets in the crucible.

Always chalked them up to lag or poor aiming on my part even though I don't experience the issue in any form of PvE.

Edit: stupid autocorrect

loving hell. That poo poo is damming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

magic_pixie posted:

Bungie sure do like their RNG. Also, I'm going to assume this issue applies to all of my sniper shots.

It does.

The amount of times i can only see someones head. Fire at them and land a "body" shot on them can not be counted. The range stat is hocus-pocus bullshit.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CheeseFactory posted:

I wonder if Red Death with aggressive can 2 burst now?

I bet you the morons at bungie have not applied the nerfs to No Land and Defiance. Those things have no flinch at all.

No tweaks to special ammo is retarded.

There are going to be nk many (more) shotguns now. At least they won't be uni remotes.

Otherwise.... meh. I'll give sidearms another crack. I have a good roll red spectre ill try too. Also a hakke pulse. Im still sure they will all be crap still.

Some dude on reddit is doing spreadsheets about ttk. Apparently red death and nirwins wont 2 burst. It will kill in 6 to the head and one to the body.

Doesnt seem like you can go past the faster 3 burst ones.

Dunno whether head seeker would make a difference though.

Red spectre etc should kill in one less bullet.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I thought the phantom bullets thing had long been linked to range. Like, if you are within the range that poo poo won't happen but once you get out of it it things get random

That's why TLW does it so much, it has like no range

It's a dumb mechanic though. If they want to make range matter more more significant damage drop off is probably better than just having your bullets accuracy on RNG

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
thanks to that video i now know that unless there are quests that require it I'm never touching crucible again. gently caress that

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Like many others, I mostly use handcannons especially in the crucible and its been a constant issue since at least the April update. Due to the fact that some games all my shots hit like I expect them to and then have the inverse of that in the following match even if the lobby remains the same, I was convinced that it was a connection issue.

This poo poo is inexcusable. I'm bad enough at the game Bungie, I don't need help to lose.

Edit: The raw footage is even worse. His eyasluna has rifled barrel.

Differo Cathedra fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 9, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Pdx ftw

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

Differo Cathedra posted:

Always chalked them up to lag or poor aiming on my part even though I don't experience the issue in any form of PvE.

Wasn't this known before? I remember one of the devs talking about cones (hell it spawned that cone bros meme that I'm sure I just brought back again) and how shots fired can land anywhere in that cone, somewhat based on your range stat. This is different from the "bloom", which would be an expansion of the cone with each shot.

E: I didn't mean the source of the meme itself, just the source of it being brought up in Destiny posts.

Snostorm fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

FishBulb posted:

I thought the phantom bullets thing had long been linked to range. Like, if you are within the range that poo poo won't happen but once you get out of it it things get random

That's why TLW does it so much, it has like no range

It's a dumb mechanic though. If they want to make range matter more more significant damage drop off is probably better than just having your bullets accuracy on RNG

Yeah, I thought I read a balance update where they talked about random bullets past a certain range, and the bloom on handcannons that would settle down if you spaced your shot seems like a related but separate issue. So what he proved isn't that phantom bullets are real, but that they invisibly go off your aim point at a random frequency and bearing if you're at long range. Which I think we were supposed to know.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I noticed a 12 gig patch today. Are they putting expansion stuff in it early or does this patch add a lot?

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Yeah, I thought I read a balance update where they talked about random bullets past a certain range, and the bloom on handcannons that would settle down if you spaced your shot seems like a related but separate issue. So what he proved isn't that phantom bullets are real, but that they invisibly go off your aim point at a random frequency and bearing if you're at long range. Which I think we were supposed to know.

I get that. However the video clearly shows him waiting a second or so until the reticle refocused and then firing. A few times, he waits even longer to let his test subject's health regen. And his eyasluna has rifled barrel. It's hard to get a handcannon with better range than that.

Most importantly though, how is that not perfect handcannon range?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Spacebump posted:

I noticed a 12 gig patch today. Are they putting expansion stuff in it early or does this patch add a lot?

yes

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Spacebump posted:

Every single time

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Differo Cathedra posted:

I get that. However the video clearly shows him waiting a second or so until the reticle refocused and then firing. A few times, he waits even longer to let his test subject's health regen. And his eyasluna has rifled barrel. It's hard to get a handcannon with better range than that.

Most importantly though, how is that not perfect handcannon range?

Yeah it's hosed on all accounts.

The only thing that isn't RNG in this game is the match making. That poo poo manipulated to hell.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Snostorm posted:

Wasn't this known before? I remember one of the devs talking about cones (hell it spawned that cone bros meme that I'm sure I just brought back again) and how shots fired can land anywhere in that cone, somewhat based on your range stat. This is different from the "bloom", which would be an expansion of the cone with each shot.

Lol that's not what spawned the cone bros meme pal

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bernie, back up. Bernie!
I'll be fi-
http://i.imgur.com/A4asR96.gifv

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hey can you post the cone bros source material, there's a big gape in my memory about it

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Hey can you post the cone bros source material, there's a big gape in my memory about it

This is a link to the FYAD forum, which is infamously nsfw so be advised!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743373&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I always liked Boolean so I'll have to try that out again

I'm assuming the fabian is still garbage though

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
thug life

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I always liked Boolean so I'll have to try that out again

I'm assuming the fabian is still garbage though

Probably suck a fat dick for pvp but be good for pve. The stability and range buff should make it pretty tasty.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Highlight of y2 pvp for me was jokingly using the boolean and getting the triple armor stack going against good players lmao basically the crucible equivalent of wiping your dong on her forehead

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Throwback Thursday
:eyepop:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If I quit playing around the time the raid went hard mode, how do I start playing again to get ready for the rise of iron? Has there been a lot more single player content placed in the game since then? What's the quickest way to get whatever new light gear there is? The rise of iron expansion sounds really good.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Blind Rasputin posted:

If I quit playing around the time the raid went hard mode, how do I start playing again to get ready for the rise of iron? Has there been a lot more single player content placed in the game since then? What's the quickest way to get whatever new light gear there is? The rise of iron expansion sounds really good.

Just play after it comes out. Anything you do now for light will just be over done by the new stuff.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just play. Coe gets you gats, ghosts and gear and is easy unless you a scrub. Then get bros to do hard raids.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You get blues in RoI that outclass the light level of the 335 max light stuff probably right away. The thing to do now is to buy the cool poo poo that will go away or get refreshed.

1. Crucible Vendor Hawksaw
2. Crucible Vendor Panta Rhei
3. New Monarchy Sidearm
4. FWC Vacancy
5. Dead Orbit Fusion (I forget name).

In addition make sure you grab the quest 1kys and CT-D

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol my alt got a Panta Rhei with OEG, Hip Fire, Coils/Rifled/Battery and Rangefinder :eyepop:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

In addition make sure you grab the quest 1kys and CT-D

Are these confirmed as leaving? :(

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
hey guess what fuckers

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/774043115371888640

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

poor life choice posted:

Are these confirmed as leaving? :(

Who knows...probably not but I wouldn't risk it.

Quest 1k is a loving beast

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Cool. I can't wait to be drunk at minute one

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also who cares, football is on

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

You get blues in RoI that outclass the light level of the 335 max light stuff probably right away. The thing to do now is to buy the cool poo poo that will go away or get refreshed.

Good advice from 12 hours ago.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Good advice from 12 hours ago.

Are the vendors updating tonight after the patch?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Differo Cathedra posted:

so if you don't want phantom bullets, maybe ... ... ... use a scout rifle, and deal with the drawbacks that scouts have rather than cry about hand cannons having a drawback that you don't like

but, you want the gun with the faster and more forgiving ttk, you say? well then, you deal with the drawbacks that come with it!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

texaholic posted:

unlikely, they'll refresh when ROI actually goes live and there's new gear to use.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

texaholic posted:

no

deadwing posted:

so if you don't want phantom bullets, maybe ... ... ... use a scout rifle, and deal with the drawbacks that scouts have rather than cry about hand cannons having a drawback that you don't like

bullet ghosting is dumb as hell, they did this with Reach.....there is already a damage falloff mechanism

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

texaholic posted:

They might. I logged on for the first time in 11 months last night to buy my Hawksaw just in case. :dukedoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

bullet ghosting is dumb as hell, they did this with Reach.....there is already a damage falloff mechanism

Yeah I generally agree with the idea that you should play the game that exists rather than complaining randomly accurate bullets while aiming is dumb, if they want hand cannons to suck past range they can do it in better ways than that.

• Locked thread